Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner hosh

Jan 19, 2009, 4:33 AM
Post #26 of 45 (2836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbinginchico] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yeah, I'm honestly looking at these two smaller cams for my rack (Chris, Don't tell my wife I'm looking at gear! She'll be PISSED!)

I'm fairly certain that I'm going to get the 0.75, but the jury is still out on the 0.5

hosh.

Partner climbinginchico

Jan 19, 2009, 5:08 AM
Post #27 of 45 (2830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hosh] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok. Send me a .75 link and I won't tell your wife. Otherwise I make no promises...

Remember Asher chewing on my C3? Hilarious!

climbingaggie03

Jan 19, 2009, 5:50 AM
Post #28 of 45 (2826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about the new small link cams, but I love my number 2! I even have a song and dance for when I place it, and it's great for crack jumaring. who care's what it weighs, if it catches you, it's worth it's weight in gold.

Partner climbinginchico

Jan 19, 2009, 6:00 AM
Post #29 of 45 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the one and two, love em both. Solid, versatile pieces.

renneberg

Jan 19, 2009, 6:51 AM
Post #30 of 45 (2812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The full range of Link Cams belong on anybodies rack. Especialy if you climb long, like 8+ pitch, routes. They really are fantastic. The silly thing is everybody claims (and accuratley I might add) that one particular cam is different from another particular cam...DAHHHHH.

I have been using the full size range of Link Cams since before they were released. Buy them. Get used to them. Learn how to place them (smallest placements require a different look) once you do, you will find they are very valuable.

Just a note: If you climb The Nose bring doubles / tripples of Number 2. You will fall in love with them.

(This post was edited by renneberg on Jan 19, 2009, 6:53 AM)

Partner hosh

Jan 19, 2009, 6:17 PM
Post #31 of 45 (2777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbinginchico wrote:
Brutus, do you have any issues with the trigger on the .5 link catching in cracks? I've read it can be an issue. Is it annoying or anything?

Anyone have the answer to this query? I'm still waiting for this one...

hosh.

getout87

Jan 19, 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #32 of 45 (2740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any south-east-ers (GA, NC, TN) that can comment on the most useful sizes? I'm thinking of adding two links to my rack and I was wondering what you found to be the most useful sizes. I was thinking .75 and 2.

dynamo_

Jan 20, 2009, 1:55 AM
Post #33 of 45 (2723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getout87] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

getout87 wrote:
Any south-east-ers (GA, NC, TN) that can comment on the most useful sizes? I'm thinking of adding two links to my rack and I was wondering what you found to be the most useful sizes. I was thinking .75 and 2.

I have the 1 and 2...I climb in the TAG area as well as WNC...I generally climb on a single set of cams from 00 TCU to #3 C4...the 1 and 2 Link Cams replace my #1 and #2 Camalot when only using a single rack...I like them alot and find them to be more versatile that the similar sized Camalots...and I LOVE CAMALOTS.

brutusofwyde

Jan 24, 2009, 6:53 AM
Post #34 of 45 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hosh wrote:
climbinginchico wrote:
Brutus, do you have any issues with the trigger on the .5 link catching in cracks? I've read it can be an issue. Is it annoying or anything?

Anyone have the answer to this query? I'm still waiting for this one...

hosh.

the 0.5 trigger catching in cracks?? uhh... no. I try not to place any of my smaller cams with the trigger in the crack. My sausage fingers would never be able to clean them if I did...

but short answer, has never been an issue with me.

Brutus

Partner climbinginchico

Jan 24, 2009, 7:27 AM
Post #35 of 45 (2668 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brutusofwyde] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to hear. What I had read before was that not the trigger itself but the top section of the molded trigger piece where the cables are riveted on was catching on cracks at the small end of the .5's range. Either that, or this caused them to need to be placed with the trigger out far enough to not have the cam aligned with the direction of loading.

boltdagunks

Feb 8, 2009, 4:32 PM
Post #36 of 45 (2570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caliclimbergrl] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caliclimbergrl wrote:
Am I the only one that doesn't like these cams? I had the biggest one (#2 size) for a while, but after a bit of experience with it, I sold it, bought a BD #3 to replace it on my rack and never looked back.

I still dont get them either . Range of three cams . Size , price and weight of two ...

But you can only place one !!!!

maldaly

Feb 8, 2009, 6:13 PM
Post #37 of 45 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boltdagunks] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Placed my new LC for the frst time on Friday. I loved them... smooth, expansive and easy to place. As far as the trigger getting in the way of correct alignment of the placement, cracks come in all kinds of different configurations and angles, etc. That's why there are different styles of cams and it's your job to pick the one off your rack that best fits the placement. That's a good thing to kow, though.

Climb safe,
Mal

Tipton

Feb 9, 2009, 5:14 PM
Post #38 of 45 (2468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getout87] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

getout87 wrote:

I climb on a mostly passive rack. I have two cams, #2 Link Cam and #3 Camalot. I really like both, the link cam is awesome in the TAG areas I've used it. I have it basically to use when I'm pumped out or when I don't have a hex to use.

It's also great as a panic piece. I definitely recommend them if you have a limited rack of cams or need doubles in a couple sizes.

zeke_sf

Feb 9, 2009, 5:28 PM
Post #39 of 45 (2458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbinginchico wrote:
I have the one and two, love em both. Solid, versatile pieces.

Agreed. Double the one and two camalots with them and you have the best the single-stem cam world has to offer. My favorite placements are those inwardly flaring cracks you could never fit, say, a #1 camalot in because of the narrow lip, but you can fit the #1 link and then expand it inside. So bomber!

I've only inspected the new, smaller links on the ground and they were VERY sexy. My thing with those sizes though is that once you go down to the small sizes, you may as well carry more cams as weight becomes increasingly negligable. Also, the wider head width seems to work against the nature of small placements. Admittedly, if I had the money, I'd buy them.

johnwesely

Feb 9, 2009, 5:38 PM
Post #40 of 45 (2453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maldaly wrote:
Placed my new LC for the frst time on Friday. I loved them... smooth, expansive and easy to place. As far as the trigger getting in the way of correct alignment of the placement, cracks come in all kinds of different configurations and angles, etc. That's why there are different styles of cams and it's your job to pick the one off your rack that best fits the placement. That's a good thing to kow, though.

Climb safe,
Mal

Mal, You're a class act. Giving an honest opinion of a product that directly competes with one of yours. I could never be that noble.

maldaly

Feb 10, 2009, 1:47 AM
Post #41 of 45 (2400 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

John
Thanks for the props and I'm sure you can be noble. You just need to find the right things to be noble about. Wait and it will come.

Anyway, I'm just a climber and I use what I think is the best gear for the purpose. If it happens to be Trango, that's great. But I'd be a liar and an asshole if I said that Trango was the only good gear or was always the best gear. I think we've got a lot of good products and a few great products. We also have some gear that still needs some work. To say anything less would be dishonest.

Climb safe,
Mal

johnwesely

Feb 10, 2009, 3:23 AM
Post #42 of 45 (2380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's nice to see. especially in today's era of the neo-robber barons.

michaellane

Feb 11, 2009, 10:54 PM
Post #43 of 45 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
Mal, You're a class act. Giving an honest opinion of a product that directly competes with one of yours. I could never be that noble.

They don't just give out Golden Pitons to anyone, you know!

Malcolm's been a strong competitor of ours but we've always held him and the rest of the Trango gang in high regard. As important as the business game is to all of us, it's the good guy (and gal) that can be counted on to keep it all in perspective and remember that integrity and being a decent human being are still, yet more vital. Malcolm's done that all along and we're psyched that he's one of our pals.

Thanks for the interesting feedback and reading on this and other cam threads! We pay attention to this stuff.

--Lane

Omega is on Facebook. Are you a Fan?

maldaly

Feb 12, 2009, 2:41 AM
Post #44 of 45 (2296 views)
Shortcut

Re: [michaellane] New sizes of link cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lane,
Those new little LCs kick serious ass and now have a permanent place on my rack. At least until something better comes out.

Dude! Thanks for the hardcover Moleskine. I'll use it to keep notes of all the shit I forget to keep notes of. Whatever.

I love this industry. Can anyone else out there name an industry where people compete ruthlessly during the week then go out an save each others' lives on the weekend. How frickin' great is that?

Lane, I'll put you on belay any time... I've got this prototype belay device... ahhhh. Forget it.

Mal

michaellane

Feb 12, 2009, 3:50 AM
Post #45 of 45 (2277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maldaly wrote:
I love this industry. Can anyone else out there name an industry where people compete ruthlessly during the week then go out an save each others' lives on the weekend. How frickin' great is that?

Beats hell out of selling bowling balls.

No offense to the bowling industry ...

You're welcome, Mal, for the notebook! Can't live without mine!

See you 'round the campfire.

--ML

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook