RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rwaltermyer

Oct 25, 2001, 7:16 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Can anyone verify these climbing spots?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I found this info posted at climbingsource.com and rockandice.com, but I imagine it was from the same source... Can anyone certainly confirm these spots? I don't want to have to drive all over looking for these crags if its just a wild goose chase. If they do exist, lets post some beta (especially this 300 ft rumor)...

Pennsylvania

Route Name: rocky ridge bouldering

Location Notes: the closest bouldering to good ole' stinkin York PA.. Rocky Ridge park, hosts a couple of insane hard bouldering probs.. right near the main parking area, underneath the electric line cut

Date Submitted: January 22, 2001

Date of Climb: January 22, 2001

Type of Climb: bouldering

Grade/Rating: V-hards

Climb Notes:

the knobby rock tends to give way once in a while, so a crash pad or spotters are highly recommended.. I climbed here over seven years ago, so make sure access etc is still cool.. some hard probs to be had for sure!

Pennsylvania

Route Name: Railroad Rocks

Location Notes: I'm cleaning out my old route info from PA and throwing it out..again, I noticed another bit of a topo on a place I cleaned and developed into quite a good bouldering spot.. from the town of railroad, make a right past capt. bobs crabs (don't know if this is still there).. head down this road and pay attention to the right side of the road.. maybe a mile or two down, right side, you will see a cave of dark rock maybe 30 feet high.. the landowner at the time used to let me boulder here.. and i cleaned up all the rock waaaay back when and had a wicked aray of boulder problems.. its volcanic rock though, so the digits better be tough! may the force be with you.. sorry you live in southcentral pa!

Date of Climb: January 22, 2001

Type of Climb: bouldering

Grade/Rating: V1-Vhard!

Climb Notes:

Seek permission, as I did back in 1994. Access may have changed!!

Pennsylvania

Route Name: Secret Cragging

Location Notes: Across from Three Mile Island is a crag I used to climb at which rivals any climbing at chickies rock. Roughly 300 feet tall, solid chickies quartzite, tons of routes (we did about a dozen of em.. its very mossy and needs development) and one spire climb as well at one pitch which requires a simul rap off. Since I've moved, I don't care anymore if anyone else is motivated or knows about this place.. so, go for it.. I can't even remember the access, but you will see the topo lines stacked on a map.. its definetely adventure climbing!

Date of Climb: January 22, 2000

Grade/Rating: 5.4 - ??

Climb Notes:

First ascended several routes back in 1995. You will see a few bits of webbing on some of the obvious trees as rap anchors, also, a few pins here and there.

rwaltermyer

Nov 6, 2001, 10:26 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Can anyone verify these climbing spots? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess not? hmmm....looks like I'll be making a road trip!

rck_climber

Nov 6, 2001, 11:19 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try PM'ing Kagunkie, he's in Pennsylvania, I believe. I'm sure he'd have heard of them at least.

Sorry, no beta for you, personally though. Never been there.

Mick

funk29

Nov 27, 2001, 6:55 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been to the "secret crag" it is like chiques and is high undeveloped and adventurous and hard to access.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook