RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

iceaxe23

Jan 31, 2009, 7:15 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1720 views)
Shortcut

Denali gear questions sleeping bag and insulated pants
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,
question is I am looking at a north face inferno -40 degree bag for denali and winter camping. I'm a cold sleeper so going with the -40f model (currently have a moonstone 800 zone 2 with liner -15f and was cold on a Mt washington january trip)

I am worried though that the Inferno only comes in long length. I'm 5'8. and my other bag is a regular but my spring climbing bag is a long sythetic that I throw my boots and gear in the bottom. Would it be ok going with the long model and storing water bottle and gear in the extra foot area?

Also as for insulated pants. I currently have a pair of old North face cerro torre insulated primaloft pants and a heavier pair of wild-things primaloft pants. I have a fully baffled 800 fill down parka and was looking at the baffled down pants. Would primaloft or polarguard pants do fine? Or is it best to go with the down pants? the down pants I looked at were bibs too unlike the pants I have now.

thanks much

fancyclaps

Jan 31, 2009, 7:21 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iceaxe23] Denali gear questions sleeping bag and insulated pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't recommend getting a TNF sleeping bag. Their stuff was quality years ago, but they make crap now. If you are going to drop that much money on a mountaineering bag, I would look at Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, or secondarily, Marmot. You will get a lot more quality for your money, even if you spend a little bit extra.

zxcv

Feb 1, 2009, 1:52 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iceaxe23] Denali gear questions sleeping bag and insulated pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a quick note about the Moonstones Zone 2- though it is overly optimistic to believe the liner adds 25 degrees to the comfort rating, the combination is a winter-worthy bag. I loved mine until it was stolen... make sure you have adequate ground insulation as I have found that to more often be an issue with cold nights other than my bag.

kane_schutzman

Feb 1, 2009, 1:57 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1678 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zxcv] Denali gear questions sleeping bag and insulated pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the Down Exped pads they have out. Those pads have superior insulation.

tb69hikeclimb

Feb 1, 2009, 2:20 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Stephensons Warmlite bags

http://www.warmlite.com

should have stopped by their shop when you where in New Hampshire. They will make what you want.
Absolutely the warmest bags around.

Go with the down bibs.

iceaxe23

Feb 1, 2009, 8:33 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well my moonstone is rated for +10f and the liner brings it to -15f and yes I had good ground insulation (my trusty yellow winter closed cell pad and the pad out of my cold cold world pack)

I guess I'm more interested in if the length (long bag on a 5'8" person) is going to be a problem in the cold and if primaloft pants are ok for denali

North face still makes great down products (Himalayan suits and summit 800 fill down bags)

thanks all for the feedback

kane_schutzman

Feb 1, 2009, 9:13 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo man,

I know its not really your question, but that really isn't much ground insulation. I haven't looked in awhile, but my guess is that your setup total has an R value of less than 4. The mat I told you about for comparison, has an R value of 7-9. I think.

skibum14

Feb 6, 2009, 5:33 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My advice is to call Feathered Friends and let them help you. The staff is very knowledgeable, and they make great down gear. Pants, jackets, bags, etc , often in several fabrics including eVent and Epic I'm a little biased, but my FF gear has worked great.

Another thing to keep in mind is that bag ratings are subjective. I've seen down bags from different companies rated to the same temperature with significantly different fill weights.

mikebee

Feb 6, 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skibum14] Denali gear questions sleeping bag and insulated pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've seen down bags from different companies rated to the same temperature with significantly different fill weights.

This is so true (unfortunately).
In Australia most manufacturers are heading towards using the European standard for sleeping bag ratings (EN13537), which is a great way to go. The test gives off 3 figures for each sleeping bag (comfort, limit of comfort and survival), and since the test conditions are the same for everyone, the comparisons are much fairer. Unfortunately this comes at a cost of about $10,000 AUD per bag, which makes it a bit prohibitive. for companies to do their full range of sleeping bags.

Hopefully this standard will spread more throughout the world so buying the right gear becomes easier for all of us.

wildone09

Feb 16, 2009, 5:54 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1334 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I may be able to help on the pants part of this. I work for Wild Things. Our Primaloft pants have been up Denali many times. Not sure which pair you have or about your personal self because that plays a big part in what product makes sense for you. If you want to chat about pants feel free to call our store at 603-356-9453 and we'll be happy to help you out. Thanks!

iceaxe23

Feb 17, 2009, 6:51 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wildone09] Denali gear questions sleeping bag and insulated pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wildone09 wrote:
I may be able to help on the pants part of this. I work for Wild Things. Our Primaloft pants have been up Denali many times. Not sure which pair you have or about your personal self because that plays a big part in what product makes sense for you. If you want to chat about pants feel free to call our store at 603-356-9453 and we'll be happy to help you out. Thanks!

I have the The Gen III Extreme Cold Weather EPIC by Nextec® Shell
6oz PrimaLoft® pants.

wildone09

Feb 17, 2009, 12:55 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those are some of our warmest pants and have been to Denali many times. Like any piece of clothing they are intended to be used as a system and require all the proper layering, etc to work effectively. (all stuff I'm sure you know). For most these pants will work well as your insulator. The seams are not sealed on these pants as they are designed to be an insulating layer. The Epic fabric will keep most precip out, but be sure to bring hardshell bottoms which are fully waterproof as well.

We have these in bib form as well: http://www.wildthingsgear.com/prod_insulation.php

Have a great trip!

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook