Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Why all the hate in the climbing "community"?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

rockram

Feb 6, 2009, 4:41 PM
Post #1 of 76 (3112 views)
Shortcut

Why all the hate in the climbing "community"?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (15 ratings)  
Can't Post

I address the issues of cynycism in:
The Tucson, AZ rock gym
Outdoors
RC.com
Climbing culture in general

Hello fellow climbers...I wish to make a point that reflects what my overall feelings have been for some time now concerning the climbing community at large.

I feel that the climbing "community" of my preference exists only when I go out climbing with my buds, or friendly people I recently met. I respect you all and share your love for climbing. I find it interesting, however, that there is so much negative criticism directed towards people, criticism almost to the point of disdain, generated from the issues of level of skill in a climber and his/her climbing style preference. Gym vs. outdoors. Trad vs. Sport. Number dropping (ratings), and the list goes on and on.

I feel that there certainly are legitimate issues at hand, such as trad vs. sport issue about only making necessary alterations to the natural cliff face, but some take this to the extreme and miss the purpose. If you feel that sport climbing should entirely not exist, for instance (it honestly seems to me that some argue that point), you are entitled to state your opinion but do so respecfully. It's only your opinion and you will not force it upon others by looking down on sport climbers.

Which brings up the issue of labeling. For all intents and purposes, I choose to narrow down my specific climbing expertise and abilities only for the purpose of not getting myself into a hairy mess out on the rock and also for knowing how I can personally grow in ability. I don't seperate myself in ratings or type of climbing to "distinguish" myself from others in an attempt to create an inferiority complex.

I find this stigma when I go to what is currently the only rock gym in Tucson, AZ. For the most part, people there are stand-offish and I would rather not even attempt the boulder pit anymore because, well, I suck at it and get much less than friendly encouragment from the plastic junkies (sorry, it's so hard not to label when they act like that). I want to get better at gym climbing, but not at the expense of paying good money for a crappy emotional environment. With such tension in the air, I find it hard to overlook the personal issue of mine that there's a roof blocking my view of nature (one of the reasons I climb is for the view). I guess when going to the gym, you just have to look for other natural beauties :-)...but if they are grouchy and stand-offish, I'm not interested in the least, even if climber chicks are hot!

Also, another example of this stigma are many of the posts on rc.com. I love rc.com and like to be a part of it, but it feels so superficial when it creates barriers and people forget that they can respecfully disagree on an issue, and have an open mind.

I look up jokes and songs on the internet about climbing, and find that many of them dis on all different kinds of climbers. Good luck helping someone change that way!

Equally important to me as what I climb and how I climb it is WHO I climb with. My best experiences revolve around people...and climbing enhances that bond. A crag just wouldn't have the same appeal to me without my brother and friends there! Even climbing, the most beloved sport of all in my book, isn't the same without relationships.

That's my soap-box speech. Call me the Rodney King of RC.com if you will...I don't care. I stand by my opinion here.

suilenroc

Feb 6, 2009, 4:46 PM
Post #2 of 76 (3101 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockram] Why all the hate in the climbing "community"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well put. Wink

the_leech

Feb 6, 2009, 4:52 PM
Post #3 of 76 (3081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've never noticed it.

Maybe the climbing community just hates you.

Partner angry

Feb 6, 2009, 4:55 PM
Post #4 of 76 (3071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

rockram wrote:
The Tucson, AZ rock gym
Outdoors
RC.com

Hello fellow climbers...I wish to make a point that reflects what my overall feelings have been for some time now concerning the climbing community at large.

I feel that the climbing "community" of my preference exists only when I go out climbing with my buds, or friendly people I recently met. I respect you all and share your love for climbing. I find it interesting, however, that there is so much negative criticism directed towards people, criticism almost to the point of disdain, generated from the issues of level of skill in a climber and his/her climbing style preference. Gym vs. outdoors. Trad vs. Sport. Number dropping (ratings), and the list goes on and on.

I feel that there certainly are legitimate issues at hand, such as trad vs. sport issue about only making necessary alterations to the natural cliff face, but some take this to the extreme and miss the purpose. If you feel that sport climbing should entirely not exist, for instance (it honestly seems to me that some argue that point), you are entitled to state your opinion but do so respecfully. It's only your opinion and you will not force it upon others by looking down on sport climbers.

Which brings up the issue of labeling. For all intents and purposes, I choose to narrow down my specific climbing expertise and abilities only for the purpose of not getting myself into a hairy mess out on the rock and also for knowing how I can personally grow in ability. I don't seperate myself in ratings or type of climbing to "distinguish" myself from others in an attempt to create an inferiority complex.

I find this stigma when I go to what is currently the only rock gym in Tucson, AZ. For the most part, people there are stand-offish and I would rather not even attempt the boulder pit anymore because, well, I suck at it and get much less than friendly encouragment from the plastic junkies (sorry, it's so hard not to label when they act like that). I want to get better at gym climbing, but not at the expense of paying good money for a crappy emotional environment. With such tension in the air, I find it hard to overlook the personal issue of mine that there's a roof blocking my view of nature (one of the reasons I climb is for the view). I guess when going to the gym, you just have to look for other natural beauties :-)...but if they are grouchy and stand-offish, I'm not interested in the least, even if climber chicks are hot!

Also, another example of this stigma are many of the posts on rc.com. I love rc.com and like to be a part of it, but it feels so superficial when it creates barriers and people forget that they can respecfully disagree on an issue, and have an open mind.

I look up jokes and songs on the internet about climbing, and find that many of them dis on all different kinds of climbers. Good luck helping someone change that way!

Equally important to me as what I climb and how I climb it is WHO I climb with. My best experiences revolve around people...and climbing enhances that bond. A crag just wouldn't have the same appeal to me without my brother and friends there! Even climbing, the most beloved sport of all in my book, isn't the same without relationships.

That's my soap-box speech. Call me the Rodney King of RC.com if you will...I don't care. I stand by my opinion here.

I'm not reading that

notapplicable

Feb 6, 2009, 4:56 PM
Post #5 of 76 (3066 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rockram wrote:
The Tucson, AZ rock gym
Outdoors
RC.com

brotherbbock

Feb 6, 2009, 5:01 PM
Post #6 of 76 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockram wrote:
The Tucson, AZ rock gym
Outdoors
RC.com

wah wah

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 6, 2009, 5:15 PM
Post #7 of 76 (3022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbers are people, people act this way.

What led you to believe this is anything but normal human behavior?

wonderwoman

Feb 6, 2009, 5:19 PM
Post #8 of 76 (3013 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

There are certain things that you can control when you are climbing, and other things (like the actions / behavior of other people) that you can't. Here are some things that I do that make sure that I have a good time climbing:

I climb simply because I love climbing.

I smile at people and am generally friendly. I treat people how I want to be treated. However, I can't control how someone might respond to me. If someone has an attitude, I just ignore them and focus on climbing. I won't let anybody ruin my climbing experience. If I don't acknowledge the 'tension in the air', then there is no 'tension in the air'.

I don't label myself or other people. I don't acknowledge bad behavior (unless it's dangerous behavior that needs to be acknowledged, and then I address it as nicely as possible - or not, if necessary).

But in the end, you are the major part of the climbing environment that determines whether or not you are having a good time climbing.

rockram

Feb 6, 2009, 5:29 PM
Post #9 of 76 (2999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Why all the hate in the climbing "community"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thank you wonder woman. A very good point. I like your style! You must be one of those positive people that everyone in general loves to be around...

I forget sometimes to come up with a solution instead of wasting my time expressing my angst. Thanks for the free advice!

(This post was edited by rockram on Feb 6, 2009, 5:32 PM)

wonderwoman

Feb 6, 2009, 5:30 PM
Post #10 of 76 (2992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockram wrote:
Thank you wonder woman. A very good point. I like your style! You must be one of those positive people that everyone in general loves to be around...

Don't be fooled. In real life, I'm a pain in the ass!

rockram

Feb 6, 2009, 5:33 PM
Post #11 of 76 (2984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Why all the hate in the climbing "community"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
rockram wrote:

Don't be fooled. In real life, I'm a pain in the ass!

AND she's humble... Wink

joek

Feb 6, 2009, 5:38 PM
Post #12 of 76 (2968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a relative newcomer to Tucson who occasionally climbs in the gym, I will agree that it occasionally feels pretty cliquish. Don't let that stop you from doing what you want to do in there, though. I will also say that I have met a lot of cool people in there, though, and even gone on to climb outside with them. If you need someone to climb with, send me a pm (I usually climb Tuesday and Thursday, and occasional night bouldering sessions).

As far as the community as a whole, rarely do I meet people outside who are not friendly, willing to lend a belay or beta, and just fun to hang out with and chat. I can only think of a couple times where I have met people outside who were the least bit confrontational or stand-offish. Obviously a lot of the infighting and headbutting gets exaggerated online, but I also feel meeting people outside changes attitudes as well - it's hard not be cheerful and outgoing when you are enjoying a beautiful day climbing outside.

Not pointing the finger at you rockram, but as an observation in general, I wonder how much of a person's general feeling about the climbing community is skewed by how much time they spend reading and discussing climbing online vs how much time they spend interacting with climbers at the crag?

dingus

Feb 6, 2009, 5:38 PM
Post #13 of 76 (2968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been in that gym! (a decade or so ago)

I know well of the intimidation of the locals of which you speak. I too was hobbled by a lack of ability, fitness and 100 practice runs, to fire off many problems in the pit.

And yet? Some friendly local dude, couldn't tell you his name if you told it to me... he showed me some cool probs, was encouraging me and showed me how to do a fig 4 roof move, something at that time I'd never really needed.

I don't like the socialogy of large groups of competitive people for the most part. You seem to have a similar vibe. Just stick with your mates and forget about the gym scene dude. You'll be happier.

And rc.com is just a big troll. This paper tiger stuff generally disappears when in person. Or it gets tamped down anyway.

DMT

Gmburns2000

Feb 6, 2009, 5:43 PM
Post #14 of 76 (2941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

rockram wrote:
Thank you wonder woman. I like your style! You must be one of those positive people that everyone in general loves to be around...

Yeah, especially when she bends over. Wink

rockram

Feb 6, 2009, 5:47 PM
Post #15 of 76 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joek] Why all the hate in the climbing "community"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

joek wrote:
Not pointing the finger at you rockram, but as an observation in general, I wonder how much of a person's general feeling about the climbing community is skewed by how much time they spend reading and discussing climbing online vs how much time they spend interacting with climbers at the crag?

Well, you got me! I may be revealing too much about myself in general by starting this thread up...whew! I'll be honest, when I can't climb, I have embraced the act of dreaming about climbing online. This is the first time I've been on RC.com in a while, I think I posted something a year ago or so.

I recently started up going outdoors once a week. Three weeks ago no one could go with me (they all have lives) so I went to the gym alone and perhaps I shouldn't let one bad experience and a bunch of discussion online skew my viewpoint. I realize that it has to be controversial or won't get any posts.

rockram

Feb 6, 2009, 5:48 PM
Post #16 of 76 (2917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Why all the hate in the climbing "community"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
This paper tiger stuff generally disappears when in person. Or it gets tamped down anyway.

DMT

Dingus, you're not so much of a dingus after all.

wonderwoman

Feb 6, 2009, 5:49 PM
Post #17 of 76 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Why all the hate in the climbing "community"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
rockram wrote:
Thank you wonder woman. I like your style! You must be one of those positive people that everyone in general loves to be around...

Yeah, especially when she bends over. Wink

oh, dear....

dylfoot

Feb 6, 2009, 6:11 PM
Post #18 of 76 (2875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockram wrote:
The Tucson, AZ rock gym
Outdoors
RC.com

Your statements have given me diarrhea.

coach_kyle

Feb 6, 2009, 6:23 PM
Post #19 of 76 (2830 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Instructions for being a human:

1. Categorize self.
2. Kill off other categories.

I don't like it, but the more I observe people in general, the more I notice this tendency. I think we will be a whole lot happier when we stop.

k.l.k

Feb 6, 2009, 6:25 PM
Post #20 of 76 (2825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockram wrote:
I go to . . . the gym

There's your problem right there.

nivlac

Feb 6, 2009, 6:30 PM
Post #21 of 76 (2813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joek] Why all the hate in the climbing "community"? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

joek wrote:
As a relative newcomer to Tucson who occasionally climbs in the gym, I will agree that it occasionally feels pretty cliquish. Don't let that stop you from doing what you want to do in there, though. I will also say that I have met a lot of cool people in there, though, and even gone on to climb outside with them. If you need someone to climb with, send me a pm (I usually climb Tuesday and Thursday, and occasional night bouldering sessions).

As far as the community as a whole, rarely do I meet people outside who are not friendly, willing to lend a belay or beta, and just fun to hang out with and chat. I can only think of a couple times where I have met people outside who were the least bit confrontational or stand-offish. Obviously a lot of the infighting and headbutting gets exaggerated online, but I also feel meeting people outside changes attitudes as well - it's hard not be cheerful and outgoing when you are enjoying a beautiful day climbing outside.

I'd like to point out that Joek is ugly and bizarre.

But, I like him anyway. Enough so that we climb together. Wow, I guess he's right.

etmorchicn

Feb 6, 2009, 6:31 PM
Post #22 of 76 (2813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockram, i'll agree with you to a certain extent. in my (somewhat limited) experience, the guys that are cliquish at the gym typically don't go outside much. i have yet to meet someone while climbing outdoors that i thought was being an asshole.

IsayAutumn

Feb 6, 2009, 6:48 PM
Post #23 of 76 (2779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kum Ba Yah!

mr.tastycakes

Feb 6, 2009, 6:55 PM
Post #24 of 76 (2761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's the internet, don't take it too seriously. people troll when they get bored.

johnwesely

Feb 6, 2009, 7:01 PM
Post #25 of 76 (2742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's because humans are awesome.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook