Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
Using a cinch instead of grigri for froggy style jugging/cleaning?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

tedman

Feb 9, 2009, 5:17 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3099 views)
Shortcut

Using a cinch instead of grigri for froggy style jugging/cleaning?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wondering if anyone has tried using a cinch instead of a grigri for this style of jugging/cleaning lines (one ascender, autolocking device, backup knots as seen in dr.pitons 'better way' articles). It seems like it would work, but figured the small differences in the devices might change things. Anyone tried it out?

sspssp

Feb 9, 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tedman] Using a cinch instead of grigri for froggy style jugging/cleaning? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What size rope are you using?
I've jugged with a cinch before and liked it as well as using a grigri. However, the ropes that you tend to see used on big walls tend to be too fat for the cinch.

bmcginnis

Feb 10, 2009, 8:35 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] Using a cinch instead of grigri for froggy style jugging/cleaning? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used it with sucess. Though i'll run it through my petzl, to the cinch and back up to the peztl. A 2:1 if you will.

Carnage

Feb 10, 2009, 6:46 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bmcginnis] Using a cinch instead of grigri for froggy style jugging/cleaning? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i've never used it on a big wall or anything too serious, but when i have used cinch this way while jugging ropes to set routes at my gym (squishy floor + tall walls = no ladder)

basically i've found it to work just as well when going up. the only problem is that coming down is a little less controlled. its not a safety thing, but grigri lets me lower nice and smooth, while cinch is a little more jerky (no matter how much i seem to practice)

tedman

Feb 10, 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] Using a cinch instead of grigri for froggy style jugging/cleaning? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was under the impression that a cinch had a wider range than grigri? 9.4-11 (cinch) as opposed to 10-11 (grigri)?

sspssp

Feb 11, 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tedman] Using a cinch instead of grigri for froggy style jugging/cleaning? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I find that a ~10.2 is about as fat of rope as I like to use to rap or lower someone with the cinch. Sure, you can belay on a fatter rope and the device will lock off in a fall (extremely well actually), but you end up having to use your brake hand to pull the rope out of the top of the device.

I really like the cinch for newer, thinner ropes and would probably describe the rope range for the cinch as around 8.8~10.2, but your mileage may vary.

The poster above who is having a jerky lower in the gym is probably either using a first generation cinch (the redesign really improved the lowering) and/or it is the typical fat gym rope.

stickyfingerz

Feb 11, 2009, 11:44 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2827 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, if you redirect the brake strand through a carabiner on your leg loop, you can get a lot more control when on lower/rappel.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook