Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

surfergirl

Feb 19, 2009, 5:26 PM
Post #1 of 81 (3767 views)
Shortcut

do i have the wrong attitude?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

i think i got spoiled...i just started climbing a couple of months ago, but it has been mostly in Joshua Tree and i was going consistently every weekend. now circumstances have changed and i can't go every weekend, and can't always go to Joshua Tree. the problem is, i don't want to go to the gym, and i don't even feel particularly motivated to go anywhere that isn't joshua tree. i feel like i almost want to just give up the whole climbing thing altogether, because it seems pointless to climb twice a month. seems like i could never improve that way. am i right?

altelis

Feb 19, 2009, 5:34 PM
Post #2 of 81 (3749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surfergirl] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

your 'tude's your 'tude. what good is it if we think its right or not. if you really like the sport, you'll do all you can do to it. period. if you kinda like the sport, you'll climb when you can and be happy. if you couldn't give a crap, you'll give it up if you can't have the ideal climbing scene.

it is what it is.

surfergirl

Feb 19, 2009, 5:38 PM
Post #3 of 81 (3736 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah...i guess my question is, will i ever improve if i climb twice a month? not that i feel the need to get really good, but i don't want to do something be mediocre at it

dingus

Feb 19, 2009, 5:41 PM
Post #4 of 81 (3725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
yeah...i guess my question is, will i ever improve if i climb twice a month? not that i feel the need to get really good, but i don't want to do something be mediocre at it

You will get good if you want to get good.

Its all in your head.

DMT

joncash

Feb 19, 2009, 5:43 PM
Post #5 of 81 (3717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

could be, I'm happy to be climbing whenever and whereever. After being to the New River Gorge, when I climb elsewhere, it just makes me appreciate the NRG more not dislike where I'm currently climbing, even if it is a gym.

altelis

Feb 19, 2009, 5:46 PM
Post #6 of 81 (3708 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
not that i feel the need to get really good, but i don't want to do something be mediocre at it

to me, this is a little bit oxymoronic. not entirely, but getting there.....

anyways- those who are truly the happiest climbing do the sport for their own reasons. not to say that your reasons can't be to improve, be a good climber, etc.- BUT they are your desire to not be mediocre instead of needing to prove that your are good enough.

make sense? my suggestion is keep at it and you'll figure it out soon enough. i moved from being a dirtbag climber and skier in salt lake, where i would ski, climb or mtn bike hard 5-6/7 days a week, to dc for a very rigorous and time DEVOURING graduate program. if i'm lucky i get to the GYM 1-2 days a week. if i'm REALLY lucky i get to go top-roping 40 ft high slabs 1-2 a month. skiing? forgetta bout-it. mtn-biking? well, some decent trails near by but given the SWAMPISHnes of DC trails take weeks to dry.

what do i do? well, i went to montana to visit the finaces family for 2 weeks as my christmas break. i skied 4 days- and you better believed i enjoyed every fricken second. when i can i get out and aid-solo. but i love it- even the tiny bit i get is great. i wish i could get more, but ain't no way i'd give it up.

and some news for your "future"- at about 8 years into climbing, i'm at the point where i can maintain my general fitness levels, not climb for months, and hop back onto only a couple letter grades below my previous bests. so, you'll find with perseverence, you may not be attaining your BEST with only a couple days a month, but you can CERTAINLY improve.

surfergirl

Feb 19, 2009, 5:47 PM
Post #7 of 81 (3706 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joncash] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe i am just experiencing a brief period of frustration...combined with feeling like a spoiled brat...and will eventually get over it

boymeetsrock

Feb 19, 2009, 5:48 PM
Post #8 of 81 (3704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I THINK you have the wrong attitude. But this is just my opinion.

If you really dig climbing it doesn't really matter how hard you climb.

I've been climbing for over 10 years. In college I climbed 3+ days a week. I started bushing grades a bit because I wanted to climb larger objectives which may require harder climbing.

Now I climb about once ever two to six months. Pirate Easy stuff.

I hate that I cannot climb more, but I have other obligations now, and a long drive to the crag. I will never give up climbing though (never say never?).

So I think your attitude is wrong because you are focusing on "being better" or "improvement" as apposed to focusing on enjoying a pursuit. That said if your not going to enjoy climbing easier climbs on those occasions which you can get out, then maybe there is no point in continuing.

surfergirl

Feb 19, 2009, 5:52 PM
Post #9 of 81 (3692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i know it sounds like an oxymoron...but the thing is, i want to DEDICATE myself to it, not just be an occasional toproper for the rest of my life, or a "weekend warrior" (although i am limited to climbing on weekends, i think the definition of a weekend warrior is kind of like a fair weather fan...climb only when you have nothing better to do type of thing).

kind of like, when i first started surfing, i could not do it enough on the east coast, so i dropped everything and moved to california. it's not that i wanted to be a professional surfer or something...or even to get really good...i just felt that it was not something you could do once a week, it required more dedication than that. i feel the same way with climbing.

jeepnphreak

Feb 19, 2009, 5:54 PM
Post #10 of 81 (3686 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because climbing is mostly foot work and technique , its like riding a bike. Once you figure out how to climb 5.10/5.11/12/ect. You need a bit of condition to get you body back up, but you never really just crash and have to start over.

When I started to climb, I got my self to where I was climbing 5.11a/b pretty well. Than due to finances and such I have to give up climbing for about two years, and then start at it again.
I was able to jump right in on a 5.10c no problems except m arms pumped out a bit fast. but after a few weeks of climbing I back at the high 5.11s again.

surfergirl

Feb 19, 2009, 5:58 PM
Post #11 of 81 (3669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

but there is so much to learn, about anchors, placing gear, and all that (which i have not even begun to do, it will be a while before that even happens)...so it will be a few years before i reach the point where i can take a long break and still retain most of what i've learned. right?

dingus

Feb 19, 2009, 6:01 PM
Post #12 of 81 (3660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
i know it sounds like an oxymoron...but the thing is, i want to DEDICATE myself to it,.

If you wanted to dedicate yourself to climbing, you'd DEDICATE yourself to climbing.

Right now.

You'd work to put yourself in position to climb what you want when you want. If you haven't or won't do that then I guess this dedication you dream about just isn't there.

The folks I've known that have gotten good did so not by complaining about inactivity on the internet - they got good by eating, drinking, sleeping, dreaming about climbing - all the time.

If you WANT to get good, you WILL get good. But action is the key, not inaction. You won't get good through complaining about your situtation.

Changing your situation, however, could be the direct path to where you think you'd like to be.

As an Old Man I can assure you... there is plenty of time yet, for you to get your climbing house in order. If it takes you a while to change your circumstances (I can readily imaging that is the case) then rest assured that JTree will still be there when you have more time.

Till then?

If you can't be with the one you love honey,
love the one you're with
love the one you're with

Cheers!
DMT

Gmburns2000

Feb 19, 2009, 6:02 PM
Post #13 of 81 (3656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you want to dedicate yourself or get better then you simply need to be more flexible and expand your options. Climbing only a J-Tree might sound great, but partners come and go. If you really want to get out there, then you'll find a way - J-Tree all the time or not.

lena_chita

Feb 19, 2009, 6:07 PM
Post #14 of 81 (3644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
i know it sounds like an oxymoron...but the thing is, i want to DEDICATE myself to it. not just be an occasional toproper for the rest of my life, or a "weekend warrior" (although i am limited to climbing on weekends, i think the definition of a weekend warrior is kind of like a fair weather fan...climb only when you have nothing better to do type of thing).

Umm, you want to DEDICATE yourself to it-- and you are waiting to hear our opinion?

Are we supposed to give you permission? Tell you that you are wonderful? Tell you that it is O.K. to like Joshua tree more than your local gym? Tell you that Joshua Tree sucks and you are all wrong and should take up crochetting?

Or do you want to hear that it is O.K. to call yuorself dedicated to climbing when you only want to climb in Joshua Tree, but not all that much, and not right now?

Are you trying to find out at what point you would be called a REAL climber, and not a weekend warrior, and how much climbing exactly do you have to do for that to happen? B/c if climbing twice a month won't get you where you want to be, you'd rather no do it at all?

What the heck, really?

rhythm164

Feb 19, 2009, 6:13 PM
Post #15 of 81 (3623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a big big world out there, J-Tree is but a taste

budman

Feb 19, 2009, 6:13 PM
Post #16 of 81 (3623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on how bad you want to climb. Change in lattitude, change in attitude. Move to Moab with the rest of the climbing bums and in the winter head south to Baja to surf.

surfergirl

Feb 19, 2009, 6:14 PM
Post #17 of 81 (3615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

okay wow. i have to admit i'm a little surprised that you can't seem to understand having just a little bit of frustration at having to deal with work/life circumstances etc. and still wanting to climb.

petsfed

Feb 19, 2009, 6:28 PM
Post #18 of 81 (3583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sad story that you think you got spoiled on JTree. Don't get me wrong, JT's great, but its not the be-all, end-all crag of the universe. Go climb elsewhere. If you don't want to hit the gym, fine. But don't delude yourself into thinking that JT's the best the climbing world has to offer. Because its not there by a long shot.

And maybe (just maybe) you'll come to realize that we've all managed to make climbing fit around our lives (or vice versa) despite having real jobs. This is, for the most part, a bunch of 9-5 folks who are forced to be weekend warriors when it comes to the really amazing places, and stick to the gym and the nearby crags the rest of the time. Get over it. Or STFU, I don't really care.

surfergirl

Feb 19, 2009, 6:33 PM
Post #19 of 81 (3565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jesus people i know my post was kind of whiney but i guess i was just venting to an audience that i thought would have experienced some similar frustrations from time to time.

more than 50% of the joy i derive from climbing, is being outside away from the city. that's why i like jtree. i didn't say it's the end all be all. i just like the environment that's all.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 19, 2009, 6:50 PM
Post #20 of 81 (3534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Using wisdom gathered from the internet. I can answer your question...

Your attitude is half wrong. Your awareness at how your have an absolutist vision and how that conflicts with achieving balance is good. Your desire to feed that instead of listening to the advice above, which is telling you to live more in the here and now, needs improvement.

dingus

Feb 19, 2009, 6:57 PM
Post #21 of 81 (3521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
jesus people i know my post was kind of whiney but i guess i was just venting to an audience that i thought would have experienced some similar frustrations from time to time.

more than 50% of the joy i derive from climbing, is being outside away from the city. that's why i like jtree. i didn't say it's the end all be all. i just like the environment that's all.

All that is cool but if you didn't want an answer you shouldn't have asked the question.

BTW, welcome to climbing.

DMT

climbingam

Feb 19, 2009, 7:00 PM
Post #22 of 81 (3512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I know how you feel. I personally hate being inside a climbing gym. But the way I look at it is that I'm training for when I get out to the rocks. Sort of like a mountaineer doing the stairmaster with his pack on, or a cyclist on a stationary bike working on getting stronger.

The frustration you're feeling is part of fitting life and goals into reality. Think of those people who love climbing but live in louisiana or mississippi. I would focus more on the joy of learning the techniques that you will then apply when you go to your favorite places.

Also, as someone new to both this forum and climbing I can say that the some of the posters here seem pretty harsh and judgmental. I think it comes from reading and posting so much.

They don't "hear" how harsh they are because they are desensitized. Read some of the forums on here and see how nasty it gets. The ladies forum thread about climbing and being a mom is a good example. Take it with a grain of salt and get your life advice from trusted friends, family and mentors.

EDIT: spelling

(This post was edited by climbingam on Feb 19, 2009, 7:02 PM)

reg

Feb 19, 2009, 7:01 PM
Post #23 of 81 (3511 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
surfergirl wrote:
i know it sounds like an oxymoron...but the thing is, i want to DEDICATE myself to it,.

If you wanted to dedicate yourself to climbing, you'd DEDICATE yourself to climbing.

Right now.

You'd work to put yourself in position to climb what you want when you want. If you haven't or won't do that then I guess this dedication you dream about just isn't there.

The folks I've known that have gotten good did so not by complaining about inactivity on the internet - they got good by eating, drinking, sleeping, dreaming about climbing - all the time.

If you WANT to get good, you WILL get good. But action is the key, not inaction. You won't get good through complaining about your situtation.

Changing your situation, however, could be the direct path to where you think you'd like to be.

As an Old Man I can assure you... there is plenty of time yet, for you to get your climbing house in order. If it takes you a while to change your circumstances (I can readily imaging that is the case) then rest assured that JTree will still be there when you have more time.

Till then?

If you can't be with the one you love honey,
love the one you're with
love the one you're with

Cheers!
DMT

quit slobering

surfergirl

Feb 19, 2009, 7:01 PM
Post #24 of 81 (3511 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no no i appreciated most of your responses, i just didn't appreciate the two responses that lambasted me for complaining that i couldn't go to jtree every weekend.

dingus

Feb 19, 2009, 7:10 PM
Post #25 of 81 (3492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
no no i appreciated most of your responses, i just didn't appreciate the two responses that lambasted me for complaining that i couldn't go to jtree every weekend.

Got it.

If you do love climbing it'll all come to you in due course. You get to decide the pace!

Cheers
DMT

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook