Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

Feb 19, 2009, 11:34 PM
Post #51 of 81 (1303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [durangoclimber] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

See the mere hint of a bikini post changed this thread tone ENTIRELY.

DMT

durangoclimber

Feb 19, 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #52 of 81 (1298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And this is a problem why !!!!???

dingus

Feb 19, 2009, 11:39 PM
Post #53 of 81 (1297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No PHOTO!

DMT

durangoclimber

Feb 19, 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #54 of 81 (1293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

We the community know as RC.com hereby demand a photo. Any attempt to deny such will be viewed as an act of denial and aggression. Bring it sistuh!

budman

Feb 19, 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #55 of 81 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surfergirl] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh no little girl! To The Gunks to do Shockley's Ceiling in Style! Vulgarian style! A rite of passage for trad climbers. If you like J-Tree you'll love the Gunks. There's a whole lot more to climbing than just climbing hard. Though climbing hard has it's advantages.

elcapinyoazz

Feb 20, 2009, 12:14 AM
Post #56 of 81 (1275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [budman] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Josh is overrated. 7000 routes and about 300 are actually worth climbing. Of those 300, I think I've done about 250 of them (and another 250 that weren't worth climbing). I lived there, and love the place, the winter weather is relatively good but the actual climbing there is mediocre.

You want to get better, in San Diego, outside? Go to freaking Woodson and get busy. Jog up the hill and do 5 or 10 routes a couple times a week. If it worked for Piggot, Cameron, 'tusi, BVB, etc it can work for you. Mostly perfect rock, pretty TR friendly so you don't need a ton of gear, and a good mix of crack of all sizes and face.

I'd have been estatic to have a resource like Woodson when I started climbing. Instead it was a 3 hour drive to redneck infested piles in the south where it rained half the time and was 90% humidity the other half.

And if you want to climb in a bikini, drop me a line and I'll lead some Joshua Tree offwidths and squeeze chimneys for you.

(This post was edited by elcapinyoazz on Feb 20, 2009, 12:15 AM)

k.l.k

Feb 20, 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #57 of 81 (1267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
i don't even feel particularly motivated to go anywhere that isn't joshua tree.

That'll wear off by the middle of May.

But no worries, 'cuz Suicide and Tahquitz will be in season by April.

bandycoot

Feb 20, 2009, 12:28 AM
Post #58 of 81 (1260 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elcapinyoazz] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If your attitude about climbing is down the tubes, and you still want to do it, I suggest you surround yourself with some resources that will perk you up again. Find climbing groups. In San Diego there is a meetup.com crowd that has grown quite large that climbs locally. The Alpinistas are a fun loving group that are very welcoming to new members from what I've seen. You could meet climbers at an ACSD (allied climbers of san diego) meeting. If you want to learn how to lead, buy a book or a movie on the topic. There are many. Watch/read it. Watch/read it again. At least you're learning if you're not getting strong. I recommend John Long's book on anchors (2nd edition). San Diego has AMAZING climbing. El Cajon Mountain is a wonderful place to sport climb, easy featured low angle granite routes for beginners that are well bolted and all have rap rings spaced such that you can get down with a single rope. Woodson is the perfect place to learn crack climbing, and is a short drive away and most of the climbs are top ropable. Buy the SD County Climbing Guide! Find a route that sounds cool, find someone to do it with or work your way up to it. Find a way to get inspired and learn. If you have any questions, let me know. I've been climbing here for about 10 years now.

Josh

surfergirl

Feb 20, 2009, 12:36 AM
Post #59 of 81 (1253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandycoot] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yep, i've climbed several times with the meetup group, they are great. i think i just got bummed because i spent last weekend snowboarding, so it was the first weekend in a while that i hadn't climbed, and then my plans to climb this weekend fell through....and all of a sudden i was like, when is the next time i will be able to climb??? i think i'm just freaking out over nothing.

oh and i finished the john long book while i was on my snowboarding trip

bandycoot

Feb 20, 2009, 12:44 AM
Post #60 of 81 (1248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent! Now go play with the anchoring systems at home. Even if you don't have much gear, use a rope or something along those lines. And really, go check out El Cajon Mountain and Mt. Woodson. Both are high quality places to go. Woodson might take a few trips to figure out though.

Josh

k.l.k

Feb 20, 2009, 12:47 AM
Post #61 of 81 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
my plans to climb this weekend fell through....

It's only Thursday. You have 24 hours. In 48 hours you will still have 16 hours before you'd have to leave the house for a day trip.

surfergirl

Feb 20, 2009, 1:01 AM
Post #62 of 81 (1234 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, i have tomorrow off, so my weekend begins in a few minutes...

but to be honest, i don't have anyone to climb with this weekend and i'm a little scared to meet a climbing partner on the internet. i think my first post here was "how do you know you can trust your climbing partner." since my partner will be the one building anchors because i don't know jack, i'm a little afraid to put my life in the hands of a stranger. i will figure out a way around that...i.e. find more groups to climb with so i get to know more people that i can eventually go out with one-on-one.

ladyscarlett

Feb 20, 2009, 1:04 AM
Post #63 of 81 (1233 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
yep, i've climbed several times with the meetup group, they are great. i think i just got bummed because i spent last weekend snowboarding, so it was the first weekend in a while that i hadn't climbed, and then my plans to climb this weekend fell through....and all of a sudden i was like, when is the next time i will be able to climb??? i think i'm just freaking out over nothing.

oh and i finished the john long book while i was on my snowboarding trip

ha! I too have been having a few weekends like that. Was going to go to Yosemite for this last three day weekend and got snowed out, then this weekend is a non climbing weekend, resulted in a "will I ever climb outside again?" freak out in the middle of the week. Maybe it's the other side of the climber's high? Is there a climber's low? Or is that caving....

best wishes in getting over this hump - and have fun snowboarding - I hear the snow out there is amazing!

ls

surfergirl

Feb 20, 2009, 1:08 AM
Post #64 of 81 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

haha glad to hear i'm not the only one who feels a little crazy. have a good weekend!

858jason

Feb 20, 2009, 1:18 AM
Post #65 of 81 (1222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:

but to be honest, i don't have anyone to climb with this weekend and i'm a little scared to meet a climbing partner on the internet.
since my partner will be the one building anchors because i don't know jack, i'm a little afraid to put my life in the hands of a stranger.

Then don't meet people on the internet. Go to the meetup events and meet people in person. Bob is very welcoming of new people. Go to Stephanie's women's night at Vertical Hold. Even I occasionally climb with new people. But not with a newbie I meet over the internet. My anchors are solid, but why should I put my life in your hands? I don't know that you won't drop me. Get over your hatred of the gym, meet people.

pyrosis

Feb 20, 2009, 1:24 AM
Post #66 of 81 (1215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
haha glad to hear i'm not the only one who feels a little crazy. have a good weekend!

I learned to climb in San Diego in high school. On the weekdays I would go to Woodson, or Santee, or the people's wall in La Jolla, or Magnolia. Or even the gym. Sometimes I even thrashed through the shubbery trying to find new boulders, or old areas lost to the chaparral. On the weekends, I went without fail to Josh, Suicide, Tahquitz, Red Rocks, and Canon Tajo. I learned to place gear by placing it. One of my first leads was some 5.8 offwidth on one of the towers at Woodson. I'm still surprised that I survived.

There is plenty of climbing to be had there in SD, surfergirl. Santee might not be the most wild place to climb but it is very good for the footwork. Woodson will teach you good crack technique, and gear placement if you are up to learning. The McCain valley might have some OHVs at times but I remember it being pretty wild, and lots of good boulders to climb on. Valley of the Moon, Corte Madera, and Canon Tajo are definitely out there. Culp Valley is beautiful, as is Dos Cabezas. Suicide should be coming into season soon, I've climbed on those sunny faces in February.

You see? You don't have to go to Josh every time. In the old days Josh was seen as sort of a training area. Training for real climbing, such as Tahquitz, Yosemite, and the high Sierra.

If you really want to climb, learn to lead. Learn to place gear. The cool thing about climbing is as you go on, more and more possibilities are opened to you. You have only just begun.

Have fun!

-Tavis

k.l.k

Feb 20, 2009, 1:26 AM
Post #67 of 81 (1211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [858jason] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

858jason wrote:
Get over your hatred of the gym

On the contrary, hatred of the gym has to be carefully cultivated. I spend odd moments of free time working on mine as it has a tendency to slide a bit, especially during the winter. Getting a haircut, pumping gas, boring conversations from co-workers--each offers an opportunity to polish my gym hatred just for a moment or two.

Occasionally, if I'm on the verge of losing my deep hatred of the gym, I find that a quick, brief trip to any local gym has powerful restorative properties.

Ironically, climbing outside a whole lot in really quiet and pretty places can do bad things to my hatred of the gym, because I usually forget all about the gym once I'm climbing.

k.l.k

Feb 20, 2009, 1:29 AM
Post #68 of 81 (1206 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
i don't have anyone to climb with this weekend and i'm a little scared to meet a climbing partner on the internet.

So go to Josh and spend the weekend bagging domes, learning all the downclimbs and honing your ability to scramble effectively. You'll be out of the city, and you'll have built up some skills and muscles of the sort that you can't develop in a climbing gym. Plus there's a good chance that you'll just meet up with folks who are competent and climbing and willing to let you join them. Keep your harness in your daypack, just in case.

Gmburns2000

Feb 20, 2009, 2:15 AM
Post #69 of 81 (1190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

durangoclimber wrote:
surfergirl wrote:
i know this is getting way off topic, but i just have to say that there are two reasons why surfing is better than climbing: 1) you can do it in a bikini (and not elicit stares) and 2) you can pee whenever you want (this is the BEST reason)

...uuuuhhhhhh.... I luv you..marry me now...

Aw christ! Here we all are waiting for her to post a pic before dropping our marraige vows and you come along and undercut us beforehand. Mad

[mutters] fucking economy [/mutters]

donald949

Feb 20, 2009, 2:27 AM
Post #70 of 81 (1185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
just don't fall on the slab sections...

but considering you're in So Cal, go for it! And be sure to take pictures! Awesome idea

ls

Well, since she is climbing JTree, she'll pretty much not want to fall. That rock is sharp!

But alas, if the OP thinks she has problems...
I have a wife and 3 kids. I got to JTree last weekend and got several hours of climbing over 3 days, for which I am truely gratefull as my partner bailed on climbing Sat. So 3 hours was better than nutting. Haven't gotten skiing yet this season, let alone had to skip a climbing weekend to hit the slopes instead. And the wife just locked up every weekend untill mid May.
If I'm lucky I'll get out to Big Rock 2 or 3 times on a Sat AM. If I'm really lucky, I'll find someone here on the knob to climb JTree on one of my RDO Fridays in the next 3 months. If I have been truely blessed and smiled upon by the Good Lord Almighty, the wife's folks will watch our kids the last weekend of March and we will hit Mammoth with the work ski club.
Anyrate, so who's up for a Friday trip to JTree, or a Sat morn trip to Big Rock? I can prolly get over to JTree late Thu night to crash in the back of my car. Just PM me here. I have a full rack and rope, etc...
Heh, just trying to increase my odds of being lucky.
Don

donald949

Feb 20, 2009, 2:38 AM
Post #71 of 81 (1181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
durangoclimber wrote:
surfergirl wrote:
i know this is getting way off topic, but i just have to say that there are two reasons why surfing is better than climbing: 1) you can do it in a bikini (and not elicit stares) and 2) you can pee whenever you want (this is the BEST reason)

Aw christ! Here we all are waiting for her to post a pic before dropping our marraige vows and you come along and undercut us beforehand. Mad

Hey Greg, you are single. You didn't need to wait for photos. Durango just beat you to it. Although, you are still able to make your own pitch. Might be able to make a better offer? She doesn't have to take the first offer. In fact I can give you the low down on CA climbing, that might help your deal.
:D

(This post was edited by donald949 on Feb 20, 2009, 2:39 AM)

durangoclimber

Feb 20, 2009, 2:41 AM
Post #72 of 81 (1174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
durangoclimber wrote:
surfergirl wrote:

Sum bitch - you can have her. I got mine. I was just trying to find a back up. I don't think she has the goods to put a photo up. She's all yours. Treat her right. She surfs and climbs. A rare bread I tell ya'.

Hey Greg, you are single. You didn't need to wait for photos. Durango just beat you to it. Although, you are still able to make your own pitch. Might be able to make a better offer? She doesn't have to take the first offer. In fact I can give you the low down on CA climbing, that might help your deal.

jt512

Feb 20, 2009, 2:57 AM
Post #73 of 81 (1168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
surfergirl wrote:
i don't even feel particularly motivated to go anywhere that isn't joshua tree.

That'll wear off by the middle of May.

But no worries, 'cuz Suicide and Tahquitz will be in season by April.

And that'll wear off in about 5 years.

Jay

Gmburns2000

Feb 20, 2009, 3:07 AM
Post #74 of 81 (1161 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] do i have the wrong attitude? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
durangoclimber wrote:
surfergirl wrote:

Good point, cause, you know, it's more about personality than looks after all. Let's talk, but quickly and quietly; wouldn't want anyone to know. Wink

A-Bowl

Feb 20, 2009, 3:20 AM
Post #75 of 81 (1158 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should quit. Or stay in Chossua Tree

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook