Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

trenchdigger

Feb 23, 2009, 5:13 PM
Post #26 of 66 (3497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marde] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marde wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Aluminum is not a metal that you can easily detect internal cracks or signs of stress by visual inspection. To be able to see stress factors, you must use an x-ray or do other test such as ultrasonic which YOU do not have at home so what is your life worth?

I'm calling BS as well. But what else is new?
Reference please...

majid is absolutely right, you won't be able to see internal fractures in aluminum like in most other materials except glass.

<sigh> here we go again...

Any impact large enough to do "internal" damage to aluminum will also result in significant external damage. The only way to get dangerous "microfractures" is via fatigue. Climbing gear used as intended will never be subject to the type of loading that could produce or propagate "invisible" or "internal" fatigue cracks.

majid_sabet

Feb 23, 2009, 5:15 PM
Post #27 of 66 (3497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
many years ago, one of the hardware mfgs dropped 100 hardware and did an extensive testing after each drop and discovered that almost 90+% of the dropped gear were fine but then you got the few which did not.

Aluminum is not a metal that you can easily detect internal cracks or signs of stress by visual inspection. To be able to see stress factors, you must use an x-ray or do other test such as ultrasonic which YOU do not have at home so what is your life worth?

Reference please...

You call it BS cause you are Pendejo and can tell the difference between sh*t and burrito . Here smoke this (+==) chingon and come back when you feel like you know something.

There's the majid I know...

go search BD site

jdefazio

Feb 23, 2009, 5:24 PM
Post #28 of 66 (3492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pedro_sandchez] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

pedro_sandchez wrote:
So this weekend I dropped my petzl reverso and attache about 60ish feet. Not sure how it happened, I'm guessing part of my shirt got caught in the gate when I clipped it to my harness because when I reached up to unlock a different biner, i heard it unclip and fall.

Apparently you weren't climbing hard enough, or the shirt would have been a non-issue.

altelis

Feb 23, 2009, 5:26 PM
Post #29 of 66 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdefazio] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jdefazio wrote:
pedro_sandchez wrote:
So this weekend I dropped my petzl reverso and attache about 60ish feet. Not sure how it happened, I'm guessing part of my shirt got caught in the gate when I clipped it to my harness because when I reached up to unlock a different biner, i heard it unclip and fall.

Apparently you weren't climbing hard enough, or the shirt would have been a non-issue.

Sly

reg

Feb 23, 2009, 5:40 PM
Post #30 of 66 (3482 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
many years ago, one of the hardware mfgs dropped 100 hardware and did an extensive testing after each drop and discovered that almost 90+% of the dropped gear were fine but then you got the few which did not.

Reference please...

You call it BS cause you are Pendejo and can tell the difference between sh*t and burrito . Here smoke this (+==) chingon and come back when you feel like you know something.

careful trenchdigger - the majid i know will make you his women

altelis

Feb 23, 2009, 5:54 PM
Post #31 of 66 (3471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reg wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Reference please...

Sure sounds like you're speaking from personal experience....Pirate

kachoong

Feb 23, 2009, 6:05 PM
Post #32 of 66 (3464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pedro_sandchez wrote:
My partner down below saw it happen and tried to catch it. It bounced off of his palm and landed in the dirt at his feet.

He couldn't catch it? What a butter-fingers! Replace your partner!

(This post was edited by kachoong on Feb 23, 2009, 6:05 PM)

Gmburns2000

Feb 23, 2009, 6:05 PM
Post #33 of 66 (3461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

I bought an MRI just for this purpose.

In other news, I dropped my reverso once. It pinged off rocks on the way down and landed in the ferns. A few months later a guy I know came up to me at the gym and said that he found my device but didn't want to just leave it around since we'd be a while in descending. He was about to run out to his car to grab it when I told him to keep it. Good karma on his part (he deserved the reward), but I was also wary of its strength.

grover

Feb 23, 2009, 6:08 PM
Post #34 of 66 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep the device and replace your partner.

His hand might have a micro-fracture.Wink

meh

edited to add: bah... kachoong beat me to the punchline by 3 minutes!

(This post was edited by grover on Feb 23, 2009, 6:12 PM)

USnavy

Feb 23, 2009, 6:38 PM
Post #35 of 66 (3442 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
USnavy wrote:
Really... Hmmm. See I to read the same article but the actual results was 100% of the devices were safe. And it was REI that did the test. And it was on carabiners. REI found that all of their carabiners they dropped failed above their rating.

This was in no way, shape, or form a definitive test.

Maybe, maybe not. If I remember right they dropped 20 carabiners from a reasonable distance onto concrete and everyone failed above its rating. So if zero out of twenty are bad... well... it’s obvious what that hints...

Consider this. Black Diamond themselves specifically state that dropped carabiners are likely safe to use if the gate action is good and there is no visible damage to the carabiner on their website.

Another thing to think about. Have you ever in your life heard of a belay device (or any gear) failing specificaly because it was dropped? I have never heard of a belay device failing period let alone one failing from being dropped. I have tried to pull test a few of the belay devices on the market that were about ten years old and in all cases my static rope failed before the belay device.

If the OP dropped the carabiner 60 feet and it hit his partner’s hand and landed in the dirt its ultra likely that its fine.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Feb 23, 2009, 6:50 PM)

reg

Feb 23, 2009, 6:51 PM
Post #36 of 66 (3428 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
reg wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Sure sounds like you're speaking from personal experience....Pirate

damn it. should've added something like: "ask angry" -

johnwesely

Feb 23, 2009, 6:56 PM
Post #37 of 66 (3419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How could a tube style belay device fail at all. I could see a reverso failing in the autoblock mode, but that seems like it would be unlikely to occur given the low forces generated by a top rope fall.

lostparrot

Feb 23, 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #38 of 66 (3383 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AL does NOT develop microfractures. If it is damaged on the inside, it WILL be visible on the outside(may take close, careful examination to see, but will be visible). This whole thing about micrfractures is a joke. AL does not crack like that unless it is heat treated. AL is a soft metal. As long as the gate action is okay, and the openings on the belay device are okay, they are fine.

rockclimber919

Feb 25, 2009, 6:18 PM
Post #39 of 66 (3333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

think of it this way. how much is your life worth? and your partners life? go out and buy another one. if you buy one every time gear is in question, you'll learn really fucking fast not to drop your gear.

Partner j_ung

Feb 25, 2009, 6:25 PM
Post #40 of 66 (3327 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockclimber919] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you decide to retire it, I'll take it. I'll pay shipping.

Partner angry

Feb 25, 2009, 6:30 PM
Post #41 of 66 (3332 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there a report, ever, of a tube style belay device breaking? Under any conditions?

bigjonnyc

Feb 25, 2009, 6:37 PM
Post #42 of 66 (3323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Is there a report, ever, of a tube style belay device breaking? Under any conditions?

This is exactly what I've been thinking while reading this thread. All your belay device does is provide friction in the setup. If you take a moment to think about the actual forces induced upon it, common sense says that even if if did have a visible crack in it, it'd probably still not "break" during use.

robbovius

Feb 25, 2009, 7:20 PM
Post #43 of 66 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pedro_sandchez wrote:
Bassically, it slid down a slabby face and then dropped off the vertical face. My partner down below saw it happen and tried to catch it. It bounced off of his palm and landed in the dirt at his feet.

It didn't land directly on rock or anything just in the dirt.
I am convinced it is totally safe in that it didn't impact any rock at the base of the climb. My partner on the other hand is skeptical.
I just wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks

Oh jesus tap-dancing CHRIST! n00bs. re:STFU.

I dropped a Faders belay plate down 4 pitches of Mt webster last august. tink, tink, boink, tink, tink...it went down off into the distance. later that day when I got back to the base I put it back on my rack, no matter that the corners were all scratched up.

"I dropped my belaydevice/carabiner/nut/whatever! is it safe?" duh. candyasses.

in order for your belay device or carabiner to be damaged after falling, you'd have to also bash the shit out of it with big heavy stones until it looked like it wouldn't pass the rope any more.

OMFG this myth is tha fattest load of squash ever. its a squash and corn burrito in godzilla's pants.

(This post was edited by robbovius on Feb 25, 2009, 7:25 PM)

Partner cracklover

Feb 25, 2009, 7:50 PM
Post #44 of 66 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigjonnyc] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bigjonnyc wrote:
angry wrote:

This is exactly what I've been thinking while reading this thread. All your belay device does is provide friction in the setup. If you take a moment to think about the actual forces induced upon it, common sense says that even if if did have a visible crack in it, it'd probably still not "break" during use.

Oh, if it's got a visible crack in the main body, I bet it'd break no problem from a hard fall. adatesman - I've got more old ATCs than I know what to do with, wanna flex one til you can get it to crack, then destroy it in a slow pull test on a rope through it to see how much force it takes to explode it?

GO

PS microfractures in dropped gear are a myth.

justroberto

Feb 25, 2009, 8:43 PM
Post #45 of 66 (3272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
bigjonnyc wrote:
angry wrote:

Oh, if it's got a visible crack in the main body, I bet it'd break no problem from a hard fall. adatesman - I've got more old ATCs than I know what to do with, wanna flex one til you can get it to crack, then destroy it in a slow pull test on a rope through it to see how much force it takes to explode it?

GO

In what scenario is this even a possibility? An atc or reverso "flexing" to metal fatigue? When does this happen? "Exploding" belay devices? Jesus Christ, can't we use some common sense for a minute?

Bash the shit out of your atc with a hammer for a couple of minutes and then send it to ad. If he can still get one through the holes, I bet any rope breaks every single time before the device fails.

Tell you what - I'm climbing tonight. If I have my extra atc with me, I will hit it a couple of times with a hammer, drive my car over it, and drop a small boulder on top of it if I can find one. That's at least as bad as dropping it 60 feet into the dirt, doncha think? I'll inspect it, and if it looks good, I'll have someone belay me with it. If it looks like it's been compromised, I'll send it to adatesman along with a piece of rope for testing.

bigjonnyc

Feb 25, 2009, 8:45 PM
Post #46 of 66 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
bigjonnyc wrote:
angry wrote:

GO

I too would like to see this test. Since we're talking about a crack/fracture in the aluminum due to an impact, maybe hit it with a hammer to crack it instead of pull flexing it to get a crack to start with. Or, to be more repeatable, you could just use a hacksaw and cut it clean through on one side? Then see what force you have to pull on a rope threaded through it to break it.

I'm also curious of the actual forces seen in the rope where it enters the belay device when catching a fall. I can't imagine it's that large, even on a reasonably big fall, say factor 0.75 or so. Think of the whiplash a belayer would take if the rope pulled with like a 1000 lbs. You've also gotta factor in slippage through the device, all the friction of the rope through each piece of gear, the fact that the belayer is not a fixed point, but moves when catching a fall, etc. All together I just don't think that it would add up to enough to rupture the device.

However, please don't believe for a moment I'd be stupid enough to use a belay device with a big crack in it.

Partner cracklover

Feb 25, 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #47 of 66 (3251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
cracklover wrote:
bigjonnyc wrote:
angry wrote:

GO

In what scenario is this even a possibility? An atc or reverso "flexing" to metal fatigue? When does this happen?

Never. Duh. The question wasn't "how could you get a visible crack in your device by dropping it?" Because you couldn't. You could drop it off El Cap, the device doesn't have enough mass to hit with enough impact to hurt itself that much. But again, that wasn't the point.

In reply to:
"Exploding" belay devices? Jesus Christ, can't we use some common sense for a minute?

Well, I think it would at least make a loud "ping" sound when it broke at the crack. "Exploding" is a relative term.

In reply to:
Bash the shit out of your atc with a hammer for a couple of minutes and then send it to ad. If he can still get one through the holes, I bet any rope breaks every single time before the device fails.

That's not the question. Bash it with a hammer and all you're going to do is flatten it. In order to get a visible crack, you'll have to stress it until it cracks. This was your hypothesis - I didn't come up with it. You said:

In reply to:
even if if did have a visible crack in it, it'd probably still not "break" during use.

In reply to:
Tell you what - I'm climbing tonight. If I have my extra atc with me, I will hit it a couple of times with a hammer, drive my car over it, and drop a small boulder on top of it if I can find one. That's at least as bad as dropping it 60 feet into the dirt, doncha think? I'll inspect it, and if it looks good, I'll have someone belay me with it. If it looks like it's been compromised, I'll send it to adatesman along with a piece of rope for testing.

Again, irrelevant. I think I stated my experiment pretty clearly, and I think it would prove or disprove your statment perfectly well. Apparently rather than stand behind your statement, you feel the need to obfuscate it.

GO

altelis

Feb 26, 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #48 of 66 (3243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Consider this. Black Diamond themselves specifically state that dropped carabiners are likely safe to use if the gate action is good and there is no visible damage to the carabiner on their website.

if you can drop a carabiner from such a height as to damage the one on the website, i'll go over there and create a multpitch crag on hawaii for you!!CoolTongueTongue

USnavy

Feb 26, 2009, 12:18 AM
Post #49 of 66 (3237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] dropped belay device still safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
USnavy wrote:

if you can drop a carabiner from such a height as to damage the one on the website, i'll go over there and create a multpitch crag on hawaii for you!!CoolTongueTongue

Ok let me try again.

Black Diamond, on their website, specifically state that dropped carabiners are likely safe to use if the gate action is good and there is no visible damage to the carabiner.

SmileSmileSmile

btw... I figured out how to make my sig bold and underlined without editing the sig itself. Wink

(This post was edited by USnavy on Feb 26, 2009, 12:19 AM)

altelis

Feb 26, 2009, 12:20 AM
Post #50 of 66 (3232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

better. though i wasn't so much trying to give you a hard time as just pointing out the funny phrasing used.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook