RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

denorza2009

Feb 25, 2009, 9:28 PM
Post #1 of 19 (1489 views)
Shortcut

Extending length of anchor
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

What's generally considered the the best way to extend an anchor, say an equalette, when you need to get it over the lip when top roping. Also, is there any particular length extension to not exceed?

I think a 60cm runner connected to each equalette loop with a locking biner up top, then a locking biner at the end of each of the runner, is mostly what I"ve noticed. Seems like you might want to tie an overhand limiter knot at the end of each runner above the biner, just so it can't jump up further into the sling and potentially tangle..

I suppose sliding x is similar

Academic question, as I'm not placing anchors, but I'd like to know what are the general opinions about it. I've found suprising little info on best practices for this.

thanks

acorneau

Feb 25, 2009, 9:41 PM
Post #2 of 19 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [denorza2009] Extending length of anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a couple of easy ways to go about it:

1. If your cordelette is perfectly set but short of where you want your master point, just take a pair of same-length slings and add them on to the end with the appropriate biners.

2. If the angle of your cordelette would be too wide, extend each piece with a sling then tie your cordelette. No need for lockers on the slings.

Understand that spectra-based slings are going to wear quicker than nylon cord or webbing.

hafilax

Feb 26, 2009, 1:41 AM
Post #3 of 19 (1398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Extending length of anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm of the school that 2 biners (locking or non) opposite and opposed is better than a single locker so when extending an anchor over an edge I add 2 biners. The only tricky part is ensuring that the biners don't end up at the edge. Any anchor approved cordage will do from static line to dyneema. I tend to make sure everything is redundant if the anchor won't be attended at all times.

johnwesely

Feb 26, 2009, 1:58 AM
Post #4 of 19 (1389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

extend the pieces and then rig the anchor. It will help keep the angle low and distribute force.

bill413

Feb 26, 2009, 2:58 AM
Post #5 of 19 (1357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Extending length of anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
I'm of the school that 2 biners (locking or non) opposite and opposed is better than a single locker ...
Due to personal experience, I am in full agreement with this. Any single point biner in an anchor should be doubled up (locker or not). This doesn't mean all the biners in each leg, but certainly the "one" at the master point.

If I'm extending an anchor out, I want two independent legs to go over the ledge. After all, if the rock saws through one, I can feel a smug supriority that I had redundancy. So, two sepearte runners from the equalette to the rope, or some static line rigged to form two independent lines to go over the edge. If it's really sharp, try and rig some padding under the anchor to protect it.

denorza2009

Feb 26, 2009, 4:19 AM
Post #6 of 19 (1323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Extending length of anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the thoughtful and very helpful replies.

bill413 wrote:
Due to personal experience, I am in full agreement with this. Any single point biner in an anchor should be doubled up (locker or not). This doesn't mean all the biners in each leg, but certainly the "one" at the master point.

If I'm extending an anchor out, I want two independent legs to go over the ledge. After all, if the rock saws through one, I can feel a smug supriority that I had redundancy. So, two sepearte runners from the equalette to the rope, or some static line rigged to form two independent lines to go over the edge. If it's really sharp, try and rig some padding under the anchor to protect it.

So it sounds like maybe something like the below would be sufficient. Extending a equalette with two runners, say equalette is connected to two bolts up above.

Attachments: equalette1.jpg (83.3 KB)
  equalette2.jpg (80.9 KB)

bill413

Feb 26, 2009, 4:27 AM
Post #7 of 19 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

denorza2009 wrote:
So it sounds like maybe something like the below would be sufficient. Extending a equalette with two runners, say equalette is connected to two bolts up above.
Looks happy to me.

altelis

Feb 26, 2009, 4:32 AM
Post #8 of 19 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

seems like if you reversed it, and extended from the bolt side you get to reduce the carabiners by 2, and less of a mess going into your pp, no?

styndall

Feb 26, 2009, 5:51 AM
Post #9 of 19 (1275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That looks more than strong enough. I'd go with a single locker or a pair of non-lockers on the rope, but that's not such a big deal.

N_Oo_B

Feb 26, 2009, 6:01 AM
Post #10 of 19 (1274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] Extending length of anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

initial thought was why 2 runners. realization came seconds later.

moose_droppings

Feb 26, 2009, 6:13 AM
Post #11 of 19 (1269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
hafilax wrote:
I'm of the school that 2 biners (locking or non) opposite and opposed is better than a single locker ...

Solid, concise and accurate answer.

So I'm guessing 3 more pages to this thread.

bill413

Feb 26, 2009, 2:31 PM
Post #12 of 19 (1232 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Extending length of anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
Solid, concise and accurate answer.

Thank you.

moose_droppings wrote:
So I'm guessing 3 more pages to this thread.

Here's a start on that.

trenchdigger

Feb 26, 2009, 2:49 PM
Post #13 of 19 (1221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

denorza2009 wrote:
Thanks for the thoughtful and very helpful replies.

bill413 wrote:

Save some gear and ditch two of your non-lockers and clip both slings to both 'biners on the equalette master point.

denorza2009

Feb 26, 2009, 3:09 PM
Post #14 of 19 (1209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Extending length of anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the replies

altelis wrote:
seems like if you reversed it, and extended from the bolt side you get to reduce the carabiners by 2, and less of a mess going into your pp, no?

That does sound like it might be cleaner, though I'm not positive I get where the carabiners would be reduced. I guess if one ran the cordelette through the runners, tied it, then setup the equalette tying off each leg before attaching runner to bolt, that would let you reduce them. Then you have the two lockers on the pp.

angeleyes

Feb 26, 2009, 8:07 PM
Post #15 of 19 (1162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] Extending length of anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Save some gear and ditch two of your non-lockers and clip both slings to both 'biners on the equalette master point.

I thought with an equalette it was important to not have any one biner going through both equalette loops however.. Though I was never completely sure why, I guess it would reduce self equalization.

Maybe what you suggest more for a sliding x anchor?

not sure Unsure

acorneau

Feb 26, 2009, 8:09 PM
Post #16 of 19 (1157 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angeleyes] Extending length of anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angeleyes wrote:
I thought with an equalette it was important to not have any one biner going through both equalette loops however.

Clip one biner to one loop, the other biner to the other loop. Now, clip both slings to both biners. Done.

(This post was edited by acorneau on Feb 26, 2009, 8:11 PM)

trenchdigger

Feb 26, 2009, 8:11 PM
Post #17 of 19 (1153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angeleyes] Extending length of anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angeleyes wrote:
In reply to:

I thought with an equalette it was important to not have any one biner going through both equalette loops however.. Though I was never completely sure why, I guess it would reduce self equalization.

Maybe what you suggest more for a sliding x anchor?

not sure Unsure

Sorry, hard to be clear without a photo...

I'm still suggesting two 'biners on the equalette (rather than 4) with one on each strand. Just clip BOTH extension slings to BOTH of those 'biners.

Edited to add:
acorneau wrote:
Clip one biner to one loop, the other biner to the other loop. Now, clip both slings to both biners. Done.

What he said!

(This post was edited by trenchdigger on Feb 26, 2009, 8:12 PM)

pil1

Mar 13, 2009, 6:00 PM
Post #18 of 19 (993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:

I've run into the need to do this too where often two runners isn't enough length to extend.

When you talk about rigging some static line to form two independent lines... Um how would one do that exactly, I can't think of a clean way to do the static line that way.

Also it seems like if you extend down beyond a certain point, that it might affect the force on your pieces... But maybe not if your anchor is tied off at a low angle, maybe it's no different than having the top rope connected ('oh dear I've gone crosseyed').

bill413

Mar 14, 2009, 1:56 AM
Post #19 of 19 (947 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pil1] Extending length of anchor [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pil1 wrote:
When you talk about rigging some static line to form two independent lines... Um how would one do that exactly, I can't think of a clean way to do the static line that way.

Well, just setting this up as a thought experiment (since, as we all know, things will differ in real life from the internet)...
Let's say you bring your anchor rig to a single master point that is short of the cliff edge. You could then tie an eight in the end of the static line, clip to the master point, run it down over the ledge, tie two eights for clipping the top rope, run the standing part back up to the master point and tie another eight. So...result: eight at end (clipped to MP), eight near middle (clip to rope), some unused slack, eight near middle (clip to rope), eight at other end of static (if perfect length), or in midst of line, clipped to anchor. This establishes two independent legs & sets of knots between the anchor and the attachment point for the rope.

Hope the description is clear.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook