Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MEbouldr

Mar 3, 2009, 6:18 PM
Post #1 of 26 (8207 views)
Shortcut

Smith rocks!!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

This summer i will be doing a 6 day rock climbing camp at smith rocks in Oregon. I will be doing it in conjugtion with a ski camp at mount hood. So ill train for a week and then rock climb for a week then fly home

stamplis

Mar 3, 2009, 6:27 PM
Post #2 of 26 (8188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MEbouldr] Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yes, Smith Rock rocks!

sungam

Mar 3, 2009, 6:27 PM
Post #3 of 26 (8188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Sounds cool, but is it a "rock climbing camp" or are you just camping and climbing?

p.s. is this just an excitment post (ie. "wooo! I'm goin' to smith rock!") or a subtle question?

patmay81

Mar 3, 2009, 6:45 PM
Post #4 of 26 (8160 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stamplis] Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stamplis wrote:
Yes, Smith Rock rocks!
yeah, I think this was under a pet peeve post, Its Smith Rock, Red Rock...
unless there is a Smith RockS,

MEbouldr

Mar 3, 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #5 of 26 (8105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

its a rock climbing summer camp and im just excited

Tree_wrangler

Mar 4, 2009, 2:02 AM
Post #6 of 26 (8077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Bring an entire gallon of water just for yourself in the summer, per day.

I'm not kidding.

patmay81

Mar 4, 2009, 2:09 AM
Post #7 of 26 (8074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tree_wrangler] Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the water there is totally potable, but if your camping at the free camp ground (skunk hallow, or something like that), they don't have water. So you'll want a large jug to refill each day.

Tree_wrangler

Mar 5, 2009, 7:21 PM
Post #8 of 26 (8015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I know it's potable, but there's only one place in the canyon to get it, and I'm usually an hour+ away from that spot.

And, usually, my jug comes back empty (I always end up donating water to all my buds who only brought a quart or two)

Khoi

Mar 8, 2009, 5:07 PM
Post #9 of 26 (7979 views)
Shortcut

Re: Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of water, if there is a brief period of showers at Smith Rock during the day, how long does it take for the rock to dry off?

churningindawake

Mar 8, 2009, 5:19 PM
Post #10 of 26 (7976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Khoi] Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Khoi wrote:
Speaking of water, if there is a brief period of showers at Smith Rock during the day, how long does it take for the rock to dry off?
a couple of hours of nice hot sunny summer weather and the rock will be perfectly dry. There is no way that it will rain very much during the summer at Smith Rock though.

Have fun when you are there. If you have any question feel free and ask me.

Wolfgang

Khoi

Mar 9, 2009, 8:17 PM
Post #11 of 26 (7913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [churningindawake] Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

churningindawake wrote:
Khoi wrote:
a couple of hours of nice hot sunny summer weather and the rock will be perfectly dry. There is no way that it will rain very much during the summer at Smith Rock though.

Wolfgang

How long does the rock take to dry off in mid March when it's not hot?

I'm going to be there from Friday the 13th to Monday the 16th. I've been watching the forecast for over a week and it had been calling for sun or sunny with cloudy periods for the time I'll be there, BUT just in the past few days the forecast changed.

Now there's a "few showers" forecasted for Sunday - it was forecasted to be on Monday a few days ago, but now it's Sunday.

The current forecast calls for a 30% chance of a "few showers" on Sunday. For the days that I'll be there the daily highs are about 50 and the over night lows are about 27.

So, if it does rain on Sunday, how long would it take the rock to dry?

patmay81

Mar 9, 2009, 8:31 PM
Post #12 of 26 (7909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never been to smith when there was enough rain to prevent me from climbing. The rock there is weird, it almost climbs better when its a little wet, with the exception of the lower gorge basalt (I don't know thats just my take on it).
A 30% chance of showers at smith is like saying a 0% chance anywhere else in Oregon, it could still happen, but it's nothing to worry about.
By the way, I'm going to be there that weekend also. If your up for some longer (3 or 4 pitches) of 5.6-5.7 trad on saturday or sunday and maybe some 5.9-5.11 sport, I don't have a partner for those days.

caliclimbergrl

Mar 9, 2009, 8:37 PM
Post #13 of 26 (7902 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MEbouldr wrote:
This summer i will be doing a 6 day rock climbing camp at smith rocks in Oregon. I will be doing it in conjugtion with a ski camp at mount hood. So ill train for a week and then rock climb for a week then fly home

Wow, people really climb there in the summer huh? I went once in early June down into the Lower Gorge. We went down in the early morning, swam mid-day, and climbed in the evening. And it was STILL WAY too hot for me!! I love Smith in the Spring and Fall, but I'd never climb there in the summer. I've heard of people doing it before. But there are other places that are much nicer in the summer!

maculated

Mar 9, 2009, 8:38 PM
Post #14 of 26 (7900 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can I get this guy's number if he rocks so much?

patmay81

Mar 9, 2009, 9:17 PM
Post #15 of 26 (7876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maculated] Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maculated wrote:
Can I get this guy's number if he rocks so much?
I think this is a Ms. Smith, because I climb there often, and I'm pretty sure I would never climb a dude. In fact it grosses me out just to think of Smith as a guy. Smith is definitely a chick, and she does rock!

edge

Mar 9, 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #16 of 26 (7855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caliclimbergrl] Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caliclimbergrl wrote:
MEbouldr wrote:

Wow, people really climb there in the summer huh? I went once in early June down into the Lower Gorge. We went down in the early morning, swam mid-day, and climbed in the evening. And it was STILL WAY too hot for me!! I love Smith in the Spring and Fall, but I'd never climb there in the summer. I've heard of people doing it before. But there are other places that are much nicer in the summer!

I personally went there in early July following one of the USA Climbing Junior Nationals at Portland, maybe around 2000? Being from New England, I found it hot but quite climbable without the humidity. There are enough different aspects to the crags that you can chase the shade quite easily. The recommendation for a gallon of water/person is right on.

Basically we tried to be at the base of the rock for sun-up, hike out for an ice cream and a swim (hotel, not that nasty river) around noon, and then be back around 3ish until sundown. It was one of my personal favorite trips, as far as sport climbing goes.

churningindawake

Mar 11, 2009, 3:11 AM
Post #17 of 26 (7795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Khoi wrote:
churningindawake wrote:
Khoi wrote:

Wolfgang

How long does the rock take to dry off in mid March when it's not hot?

I'm going to be there from Friday the 13th to Monday the 16th. I've been watching the forecast for over a week and it had been calling for sun or sunny with cloudy periods for the time I'll be there, BUT just in the past few days the forecast changed.

Now there's a "few showers" forecasted for Sunday - it was forecasted to be on Monday a few days ago, but now it's Sunday.

The current forecast calls for a 30% chance of a "few showers" on Sunday. For the days that I'll be there the daily highs are about 50 and the over night lows are about 27.

So, if it does rain on Sunday, how long would it take the rock to dry?
It doesn't take very long for the rock to dry, and it takes quite a bit of rain for it to get wet. usually if there are just some slight showers you can hunker down in a cave and wait for them to be over, and then go climb again.

churningindawake

Mar 11, 2009, 3:13 AM
Post #18 of 26 (7794 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caliclimbergrl] Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caliclimbergrl wrote:
MEbouldr wrote:

The summer is a killer at Smith Rocks. You have to climb in the shade. Temps easily soar over 100 degrees and you are in direct sunlight. If it is going to be sunny, you can usually add 10 degrees if you are climbing on the front side, because it traps the heat. (Especially Morning Glory Wall)

churningindawake

Mar 11, 2009, 3:15 AM
Post #19 of 26 (7793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
caliclimbergrl wrote:
MEbouldr wrote:

I personally went there in early July following one of the USA Climbing Junior Nationals at Portland, maybe around 2000? Being from New England, I found it hot but quite climbable without the humidity. There are enough different aspects to the crags that you can chase the shade quite easily. The recommendation for a gallon of water/person is right on.

Basically we tried to be at the base of the rock for sun-up, hike out for an ice cream and a swim (hotel, not that nasty river) around noon, and then be back around 3ish until sundown. It was one of my personal favorite trips, as far as sport climbing goes.
i second everything that you just said.

gosharks

Mar 12, 2009, 12:31 AM
Post #20 of 26 (7724 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at Smith last end of May, where we got quite a bit of rain during the week that I was there. Rained some in the afternoon of one day, the next was almost all rain, and then, some more at night. The rock was perfectly climbable the day after. Some of the routes at Picnic Lunch Wall stay dry in a vertical rain.

churningindawake

Mar 12, 2009, 1:43 AM
Post #21 of 26 (7705 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gosharks] Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gosharks wrote:
I was at Smith last end of May, where we got quite a bit of rain during the week that I was there. Rained some in the afternoon of one day, the next was almost all rain, and then, some more at night. The rock was perfectly climbable the day after. Some of the routes at Picnic Lunch Wall stay dry in a vertical rain.
True what you said about Picnic Lunch wall. The left side has 3 or 4 5.11's that will always stay dry unless the wind is nuking. There is a route called Heresy that Never gets wet.

Khoi

Mar 12, 2009, 6:40 AM
Post #22 of 26 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh FUCK!

The weather forecast changed again!

Friday
Mostly Sunny
High: 58
Low: 31
Chance of Precipitation: 0%

Saturday
Few Showers
High: 46
Low: 29
Chance of Precipitation: 30%

Sunday
Rain/Snow Showers
High: 49
Low: 35
Chance of Precipitation: 30%

Monday
Sunny
High: 62
Low: 37
Chance of Precipitation: 0%

I hope my friends don't get too mad at me for having them go over 700 km to get rained out... Crazy

Tree_wrangler

Mar 12, 2009, 9:42 PM
Post #23 of 26 (7645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

30% chance of rain means 70% chance of no rain!

Also, when you see 30%, it usually means that the storm is spotty, or that it's just the leading/tailing spotty edge of a bigger system.

So, it really means "30% chance that a single drop of rain will fall from the sky." Even if it does rain, it's probable that it will not rain very much, or that it will be small cloudbursts visible around the landscape, but perhaps not on you for the entire day.

Smith is in a bizarre little "clear weather" feature in the state......the 3 sisters area creates a mega-windbreak. Smith lies within the lee of this feature, and it is not uncommon to see rain in the distance, both to the North and to the South, with a "hole" over smith and associated sunshine.

Enjoy.

geisthaus

Mar 12, 2009, 9:55 PM
Post #24 of 26 (7635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup. Smith is too hot in the summer and crappy weather the rest of the time. The rock is just volcanic garbage and not worth climbing. You should head to California.

patmay81

Mar 12, 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #25 of 26 (7631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tree_wrangler] Smith rocks!!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tree_wrangler wrote:
30% chance of rain means 70% chance of no rain!

Also, when you see 30%, it usually means that the storm is spotty, or that it's just the leading/tailing spotty edge of a bigger system.

So, it really means "30% chance that a single drop of rain will fall from the sky." Even if it does rain, it's probable that it will not rain very much, or that it will be small cloudbursts visible around the landscape, but perhaps not on you for the entire day.

Smith is in a bizarre little "clear weather" feature in the state......the 3 sisters area creates a mega-windbreak. Smith lies within the lee of this feature, and it is not uncommon to see rain in the distance, both to the North and to the South, with a "hole" over smith and associated sunshine.

Enjoy.
this is true, it never really "rains" at smith. just a few drops, or a quick shower. nothing to keep you from climbing.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook