RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

kirksullivan

Mar 9, 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1129 views)
Shortcut

New River Gorge... Again
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well There is a butt-load of forums I searched through but none actually touching on information that I wanted.

Just got the NRG/Meadow River/Summersville Lake Guide book by Steve Cater. But I'm still looking for some specific information that the book hasn't gone in depth or touched on.

I am going to do a road trip down there from Mar. 28 - April. 3 (ish). I am looking for sport routes up to 5.10d. I am figuring that I will spend a couple days in New River Gorge in Bubba City, Kaymoor, Endless Wall and Beauty Mountain. and spend the rest at Summersville, Meadow River.

My question for all you locals is what places should I consider? specific routes?

And most importantly where is the best camping for New River Gorge area, I don't want a cabin but I would like running water and some sort of restroom facility.
Also I wouldn't mind tips on other camping grounds near Summersville Lake and Meadow River for when I transition over there.

Thanks!

justroberto

Mar 10, 2009, 4:58 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kirksullivan] New River Gorge... Again [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're goin to be there for a week, you'll figure it out.

You can't go wrong spending a day at Kaymoor (Butcher's Branch and Rico Suave Buttress). Orange Oswald Wall at Summersville is rad for a full day of 5.10 clip-ups side by side by side, but don't go on a weekend. Sandstonia is grid-bolted like a mofo and has a wide range of climbs. Once again you may want to go on a weekday. Fern Buttress at Endless is good for what you're looking for, but it's also worth it to just walk the entire wall there and at Beauty to see if you see anything that suits your fancy.

kirksullivan

Mar 10, 2009, 7:18 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1087 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] New River Gorge... Again [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
If you're goin to be there for a week, you'll figure it out.

You can't go wrong spending a day at Kaymoor (Butcher's Branch and Rico Suave Buttress). Orange Oswald Wall at Summersville is rad for a full day of 5.10 clip-ups side by side by side, but don't go on a weekend. Sandstonia is grid-bolted like a mofo and has a wide range of climbs. Once again you may want to go on a weekday. Fern Buttress at Endless is good for what you're looking for, but it's also worth it to just walk the entire wall there and at Beauty to see if you see anything that suits your fancy.

sweet, thanks for the information bro!

dvs

Mar 12, 2009, 2:19 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kirksullivan wrote:
Well There is a butt-load of forums I searched through but none actually touching on information that I wanted.

Just got the NRG/Meadow River/Summersville Lake Guide book by Steve Cater. But I'm still looking for some specific information that the book hasn't gone in depth or touched on.

I am going to do a road trip down there from Mar. 28 - April. 3 (ish). I am looking for sport routes up to 5.10d. I am figuring that I will spend a couple days in New River Gorge in Bubba City, Kaymoor, Endless Wall and Beauty Mountain. and spend the rest at Summersville, Meadow River.

My question for all you locals is what places should I consider? specific routes?

And most importantly where is the best camping for New River Gorge area, I don't want a cabin but I would like running water and some sort of restroom facility.
Also I wouldn't mind tips on other camping grounds near Summersville Lake and Meadow River for when I transition over there.

Thanks!

For camping, Chestnut Creek campground has running water, good restrooms, and actual campsites (it is about 9 bucks/person/night). Roger's also has running water, backyard camping, and port-a-potty (6 bucks/person/night). These are the two I am familiar with at the New.

Bubba and Summersville have high concentration of up to 10d sport. Butcher's Branch at Kaymoor also has a day's worth. At Endless you'll have to walk a bit along the wall to go from one to the other to find those - but those routes are worth it. Not sure if Beauty and Meadow River have a whole lot.

kirksullivan

Mar 12, 2009, 7:14 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1031 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dvs] New River Gorge... Again [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dvs wrote:
kirksullivan wrote:

Thanks!

For camping, Chestnut Creek campground has running water, good restrooms, and actual campsites (it is about 9 bucks/person/night). Roger's also has running water, backyard camping, and port-a-potty (6 bucks/person/night). These are the two I am familiar with at the New.

Bubba and Summersville have high concentration of up to 10d sport. Butcher's Branch at Kaymoor also has a day's worth. At Endless you'll have to walk a bit along the wall to go from one to the other to find those - but those routes are worth it. Not sure if Beauty and Meadow River have a whole lot.

Thanks, I was really worried about choosing the wrong camp ground ,but I think that Chestnut Creek will work out for the car camping

troutboy

Mar 12, 2009, 8:38 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kirk,

Bring your guidebook(s) to the gym. I'll give you specifics/beta when I see you next.

I prefer Chestnut Creek over Roger's. Clean, pads and picnic tables, firepits, showers. It does have a drawback or 2 though.

Tim

kirksullivan

Mar 12, 2009, 8:49 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [troutboy] New River Gorge... Again [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sweet, when you going to be there next?

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook