Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

outabout

Mar 14, 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #1 of 34 (3043 views)
Shortcut

Better at inside or outside to start
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am interested in the idea of ciimbing, but have only done it on a wall in a store once as well as climbing around on rocks.

Is it better to take classes out in the real world or at one of those gyms.

I think there is one downtown here. I am in Asheville.

Also, wouldn't someone I went with provide all equipment? Or would I need shoes even in the gym setting to do it right, or do they rent those?

adurbin

Mar 15, 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #2 of 34 (3032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [outabout] Better at inside or outside to start [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For me, I love going to the gym. For most routes that a beginner will be climbing (and I am a beginner as well), I find that with gym climbing I have to think more, there are predefined routes, which makes me work harder. With Outdoor climbing, on most toprope routes, it seems like you can cheat a bit more, I.E., "well I cant reach that hold yet, I'll just use this spur of rock here. But, you definitely wanna be outdoors as well if you plan on making this your long term hobby. Im in Johnson City Tennessee, about an hour away from you. Your more than welcome to climb with my group anytime. In Fact, we will be at the brevard rock gym tommorrow if you wanna come up. Spend some time at Climbmax, the staff there is great, and even if your not climbing, you can still pick up on several pointers, terminology, how routing systems work, amonst other things. Watch other climbers climb, watch other belayers belay, learn anything and everything about climbing when you can. Oh, and welcome to the site, just ignore the flamers on here, as there seems to be a lot. Oh, and just about any gym you go to will rent the equipment you need.

(This post was edited by adurbin on Mar 15, 2009, 12:13 AM)

sungam

Mar 15, 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #3 of 34 (3019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

No offense to him, but the dude above me is kinda wrong. What he calls "cheating" (using different holds from what is expected) isn't called "cheating"... it's called "good technique".
F*ck the gym, they suck. Only good for meeting people and training, and a quick satisfaction when weather/time don't permit real climbing (like spanking off when your girlfriend is out of town).
Get on t3h r33l r0k!!!

HIGHER_CLIMBER

Mar 15, 2009, 12:27 AM
Post #4 of 34 (3013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Better at inside or outside to start [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
F*ck the gym, they suck. Only good for meeting people and training, and a quick satisfaction when weather/time don't permit real climbing (like spanking off when your girlfriend is out of town).
Get on t3h r33l r0k!!!

EXACTLY.

I wasted over a year in a gym and thought I was a climber. Once you get outdoors you realize most things you learned in a gym doesn't apply. Save yourself now, and get on the real rock. Then you can take those skills and pull the bitches at the gym.

adurbin

Mar 15, 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #5 of 34 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
No offense to him, but the dude above me is kinda wrong. What he calls "cheating" (using different holds from what is expected) isn't called "cheating"... it's called "good technique".
Get on t3h r33l r0k!!!

The perpose of my statement, was not to shortchange using the resources that are there and developing technique, but rather that there really arent too many other options indoor, except to go for the hold that is bolted to the wall. For ME, that makes it a bit more challenging indoor, which is good. A good workout, and allows me to actually follow the R O U T E. But your post was an affirmation of one of the other statements I made in my previous post.

Not to mention the fact that I started my original post with FOR ME...

(This post was edited by adurbin on Mar 15, 2009, 12:31 AM)

sungam

Mar 15, 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #6 of 34 (3002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adurbin] Better at inside or outside to start [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

adurbin wrote:
sungam wrote:
Get on t3h r33l r0k!!!

The perpose of my statement, was not to shortchange using the resources that are there and developing technique, but rather that there really arent too many other options indoor, except to go for the hold that is bolted to the wall. For ME, that makes it a bit more challenging indoor, which is good. A good workout, and allows me to actually follow the R O U T E. But your post was an affirmation of one of the other statements I made in my previous post.

What you think the word route means likely isn't what it means. It means the path you take from point a to point b, not the holds you use along the way. If you're having to eliminate holds from use on a route your doing to make it hard enough for you, you really should just get on a harder route.

notapplicable

Mar 15, 2009, 12:55 AM
Post #7 of 34 (2989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
adurbin wrote:
sungam wrote:
Get on t3h r33l r0k!!!

What you think the word route means likely isn't what it means. It means the path you take from point a to point b, not the holds you use along the way. If you're having to eliminate holds from use on a route your doing to make it hard enough for you, you really should just get on a harder route.

5.6 eliminate FTW!!

jsj7051

Mar 15, 2009, 1:49 AM
Post #8 of 34 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You'll never know if you like climbing until you get on real rock, use the gym to find someone to take you out, rent or buy a pair of used shoes from the gym, someone else will have all the other stuff. You live in a prime location to go outside and the gym at Ashville is a great place to get some help , if all else fails do like I did and take an outdoor begginer class with a guide service , I used Fox and it was the best money I spent getting started.

jeepnphreak

Mar 15, 2009, 1:51 AM
Post #9 of 34 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I started out learning on REAL rock. believe ne the gym sucks in comparison. The gym is ok when the weather is shitty and I have no other choice. BUT get out side. Just because you are ina gym you still are not a climber. just a plastic poser.
Real rock is where its at. leasons in vs out side, the basic principals still apply.

remember climb safe

qwert

Mar 15, 2009, 10:47 AM
Post #10 of 34 (2902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Better at inside or outside to start [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to the gym!
It is a safe and controlled environment, and you actually have a good workout and meet some people.
Outdoors it is dangerous, and if you meet people, they most likely are very strange. also you dont get a very good workout as you would in the gym.

qwert

chopperjohn

Mar 15, 2009, 1:14 PM
Post #11 of 34 (2881 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adurbin] Better at inside or outside to start [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Point A to point B. It doesn't matter how you get there as long as you get there. There is no cheating outside.

Urban_Cowboy

Mar 15, 2009, 2:45 PM
Post #12 of 34 (2856 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chopperjohn] Better at inside or outside to start [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chopperjohn wrote:
There is no cheating outside.
QFT

Don't be ashamed to start off in the gym, you'll get more time actually climbing since everything is already set up....safer controlled environment, still plenty of ways to flail in front of the ladies.

clee03m

Mar 15, 2009, 3:08 PM
Post #13 of 34 (2849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could do it either way, but outside is more fun. But the gym is more convenient--you can meet partners or traverse or boulder if you can't find one. No reason why you couldn't climb at both places. Most gyms I know rent for both indoor and outdoor use. If you are serious about climbing, I would consider buying at least shoes and a harness.

keithspernak

Mar 15, 2009, 4:20 PM
Post #14 of 34 (2829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do whatever you think is safest. The most important things you will learn when starting out are safety systems. Not every person out there knows a crusty van dweller who is willing to take a green climber under their wing. Gyms "should" be employing folks who are solid with the basics and are good with teaching these skills.
Of course climbing outdoors is way better. The best part being, you are outdoors. Gyms are a great place to get into it. I hear people complain about the gym "scene", but the gym I used to go to was really friendly, and most of the members used it as a way to find partners for outdoor climbing.
Sounds like you are from Ashville. Cool place, loads of sweet climbing at hand.

shockabuku

Mar 15, 2009, 5:45 PM
Post #15 of 34 (2804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I knew I liked climbing and wanted to get into it more, I would go outside. But for a beginner just starting to learn some skills, inside is likely a better choice for the first time. The skills you will learn in your first lesson are pretty much the same indoors as out and an indoor lesson will probably cost you about half (or less) what an outdoor lesson will, but evaluate your costs locally. If the costs were the same, or close enough, I would go outside. Just keep in mind that outside your logistics increase tremendously (what are you going to eat,drink, what is the weather like, how far do you have to walk, where is the restroom, etc.). If you're already an outdoors oriented person, probably no big deal, if not, well...

As a first timer you will be learning how to put on your harness, tie in to a rope, use a belay device, and probably top rope climb. All of those things can be learned satisfactorily in a gym. Outdoors you will have many additional factors to consider, and it's definitely a bigger, more fun experience, but you have to decide what you're looking for and how much you want to invest in the lesson.

blueshrimp

Mar 15, 2009, 7:46 PM
Post #16 of 34 (2778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Better at inside or outside to start [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, no, no! Climb outside, even if for the first time (assuming you can find a patient and experienced mentor who will take you out).

I trained a noobzer friend of mine climbing exclusively outdoors. After a year of climbing, she has yet to step inside a gym once! (They have really good weather in Mexico!). However they may pretend otherwise, every real climber in this forum who started indoors would wish he/she had been so lucky not to have to!

Climbing indoors vs. outdoors is like the difference between playing soccer as a video game on your computer or running around in the grass in a soccer league (even if it is your neighborhood soccer league). Indoors climbing developed as a way to "simulate" outdoors and for temporary training when the weather outdoors was unforgiving (snow or hail, otherwise you'll find most climbers outdoors anyway), and even their "simulations" are far short of what the real dealio is all about.

uhoh

Mar 15, 2009, 8:14 PM
Post #17 of 34 (2772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

outabout wrote:
I am interested in the idea of ciimbing, but have only done it on a wall in a store once as well as climbing around on rocks.

Is it better to take classes out in the real world or at one of those gyms.

I think there is one downtown here. I am in Asheville.

Also, wouldn't someone I went with provide all equipment? Or would I need shoes even in the gym setting to do it right, or do they rent those?

Climbing outside isn't the answer. Climbing outside is the question. Yes is the answer.

Climbing indoors in a gym is different from climbing outside. The climbs are different, the style is different, the environment is different. It may be easier to start climbing indoors in terms of learning the basics of climbing - belaying, tying in, tying your shoes, putting a harness on, etc., but the experience is different and, as such, indoor climbing experience may not translate well to outdoor climbing.

As far as gyms being safer, I like to think that gyms present the illusion of safety. Presumably, a gym is supposed to be a more controlled and safer environment than climbing outdoors, and in some ways that is true. In a gym, for example, you generally won't be concerned with falling rocks or debris. But while there is some truth to the argument that gyms are safer, that certainly doesn't mean you won't be dropped by a belayer or that you'll miss a crash pad after a fall.

Accidents can happen anywhere. Without having any actual statistics in front of me, I'd just guess that accidents happen more often outdoors, particularly when you're new and/or don't know what you're doing. Keeping that in mind, I encourage you to acquire climbing knowledge whenever and wherever you can. If you can tag along with a few groups climbing outside, then go for it. If not, go to the gym.

Terry2124

Mar 15, 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #18 of 34 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are thinking about climbing and your not too sure what to expect go to a gym. The reason being its a controlled environment. Although its different from climbing outdoors at least you will get a good introduction to the sport and your body will get a feel of what may be involved.

You will also get an introduction to gear and safety. If you enjoy your experience then go climb outdoors.

TJGoSurf

Mar 16, 2009, 7:23 AM
Post #19 of 34 (2703 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No one runs a marathon in a gym and claims to be a marathoner.

I'm going to linville gorge this weekend. You can come if you want.

russoggi

Mar 16, 2009, 7:56 AM
Post #20 of 34 (2694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Strange idea that using a 'spur of rock' that is on your route is cheating.

Shows a climbing wall mentality IMHO where you can only use red holds as you are on a red route.

This said I hate walls(gyms) and prefer to be on real rock.

jaablink

Mar 16, 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #21 of 34 (2668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

inside: boo....
outside: yay!!!

johnwesely

Mar 16, 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #22 of 34 (2662 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What downside is there to Asheville? You probably have far more rock within an hour than do most people on this site.

charley

Mar 16, 2009, 12:28 PM
Post #23 of 34 (2662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaablink] Better at inside or outside to start [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To answer the op question, I think fox guides out of asheville or somewhere close. I have watched their classes and they seem very good. I think if you have access to outdoor classes take them instead of indoor. What would decide for me is that there is no sunshine or breeze indoors just hot air.

EvilMonkey

Apr 3, 2009, 4:24 AM
Post #24 of 34 (2360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

start outside and may u never ever ever climb indoors. ever.

lodi5onu

Apr 3, 2009, 11:39 AM
Post #25 of 34 (2330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you start in a gym you will likely be too scared to ever go outside because it's dirty and you have to walk to get to the climbs sometimes. and there are bugs, and no tape telling you where to grab. and it's dangerous (but actually safer than the confined space of a gym, which is really just a clusterfuck of ropes, ppl and gear falling out of the sky)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook