Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

andrewG

Mar 19, 2009, 9:54 PM
Post #51 of 83 (3945 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just stumbled across this, gotta love the info on BD's site. http://www.bdel.com/...p_archive.php#123008

roy_hinkley_jr

Mar 19, 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #52 of 83 (3926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [debaser655321] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

debaser655321 wrote:
Whatever knot you chose remember you must put the thicker rope through the anchor/rap ring. Especially if you simulrap.

Not always a good idea. If using a thick dynamic and skinny static combo, it's better to thread the skinny rope. That way when you pull, you a) can grab the thick rope easier and b) if the rope does get stuck anyway, you have a lot more functional rope in your hands. The caveat if you do it this way is make sure your skinny rope is at least 5 meters longer than the thick to allow for stretch differences.

budman

Mar 19, 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #53 of 83 (3916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good point. Also the skinny rope has less friction than the fatty, so it pulls much easier. If multiple rappels thread the pull rope thru next rap station to speed the process. As the pull rope is passing thru the rings someone is stacking and ready to throw when the second rope comes down. Hopefully the skinny is threaded for the hard pulls. If the pulling the fatty and the next pull is bad, pull both and feed the skinny. Spending some extra time saves time.

Also make sure the knot is over any edges as the second raps down, bring the knot with them. If you see the knot then it is usually clear of obstacles and excessive friction.

Partner rgold

Mar 20, 2009, 1:30 AM
Post #54 of 83 (3901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [budman] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a reason to thread the thicker rope. With two ropes of unequal diameter, the higher stretch of the thinner rope (together with the thinness) will typically cause it to run through the rappel device faster than the thick rope. The point of threading the thick rope is to allow the knot to jam up against the rap rings and so prevent unequal running of the strands.

If this happens with the thin rope threaded, then the knot, which is on the thick rope side, will be pulled down as the rappeller descends, with the result that the ends may be very uneven at the bottom. Without knots in the ends of the rope, uneven ends seem to be the primary cause of fatal rappelling accidents. So climbers who thread the thinner rope for the pulling advantages that method confers also have to be extra vigilent about unequal ends. One way around this is to stabilize the two strands at the anchor by clipping them together with a quickdraw for everyone but the last person down. The party below can manage the ropes in a fireman's belay for the last person, although the tug of war that might ensue could make it hard for them to descend...

It is also possible to rappel without the ends becoming uneven---the rappeller has to feed the rappel rope hand-over-hand into the device, rather than allowing the strands to slip through the brake hand.

vegastradguy

Mar 20, 2009, 1:36 AM
Post #55 of 83 (3899 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
There is a reason to thread the thicker rope. With two ropes of unequal diameter, the higher stretch of the thinner rope (together with the thinness) will typically cause it to run through the rappel device faster than the thick rope. The point of threading the thick rope is to allow the knot to jam up against the rap rings and so prevent unequal running of the strands.

If this happens with the thin rope threaded, then the knot, which is on the thick rope side, will be pulled down as the rappeller descends, with the result that the ends may be very uneven at the bottom. Without knots in the ends of the rope, uneven ends seem to be the primary cause of fatal rappelling accidents. So climbers who thread the thinner rope for the pulling advantages that method confers also have to be extra vigilent about unequal ends. One way around this is to stabilize the two strands at the anchor by clipping them together with a quickdraw for everyone but the last person down. The party below can manage the ropes in a fireman's belay for the last person, although the tug of war that might ensue could make it hard for them to descend...

It is also possible to rappel without the ends becoming uneven---the rappeller has to feed the rappel rope hand-over-hand into the device, rather than allowing the strands to slip through the brake hand.

i understand the concept and theory behind this, but to be honest, i've never experienced it myself- and i regularly alternate which rope gets pulled, but i have never experienced noticeable rope creep with my two lines (9.8mm & 8.4mm). thats not to say it doesnt happen in other instances, i'm just posting an observation.

Partner angry

Mar 20, 2009, 1:50 AM
Post #56 of 83 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't think you've got a big enough difference. 10mm and 7.5mm and you'll see it plain as day.

altelis

Mar 20, 2009, 1:57 AM
Post #57 of 83 (3891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I don't think you've got a big enough difference. 10mm and 7.5mm and you'll see it plain as day.[/quote

+1

Partner rgold

Mar 20, 2009, 2:30 AM
Post #58 of 83 (3884 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Right, I guess I was thinking of the case of a normal single and a tag line of some sort.

Still, I do think that the potential for getting unequal ends with different diameter ropes, even if it doesn't necessarily happen when the diameters are not too different, means that the rappeller should be especially vigilant about their ends, particularly because this thread is basically for the benefit of beginners.

jkd159

Mar 20, 2009, 3:06 AM
Post #59 of 83 (3874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll admit to having only skimmed the 50+ posts in this thread, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

USnavy wrote:
Well it depends on the situation. If there is enough rope left I can simply relead the pitch.
But I guess the largest problem would be determining if there is enough rope left to reach the problem site

As others have pointed out, you save yourself lots of headaches when you rappel on two ropes which are each suitable for leading. Except in some very pathological cases, there is always enough rope to lead the pitch, at least to the tail of the other rope. Even for a full 60m pitch, you will have pulled all of rope #1 at the point when rope #2 is free of the rap anchor. So you can lead the pitch on rope #1. If anything gets stuck before rope #2 clears the rap anchor (usually the knot joining the ropes), you are guaranteed to have enough of rope #1 to lead up to the tail of rope #2, at which point you can prussik on both ropes.

But we are specifically talking about Dark Shadows, right? If I remember the climb, you don't rappel the route. So if your rope gets stuck, you may not be able to lead the pitch where the rope is stuck. Then things become much more interesting.

If anyone is interested, I created a flowchart that describes my procedures for dealing with a stuck rope. Disclaimer: It is not meant to be instructional, it is simply a guide to help experienced climbers make the best decision.

http://www.jeffdeutsch.com/...0201/Stuck_Ropes.pdf

I'm including the link because I think it is relevant to the discussion, but also because I'm interested in improving the flowchart. If anyone has suggestions, criticisms or flames let me know. I realize the flowchart symbols aren't proper and some of the arrows don't align... That will be fixed when I get around to it. I'm more interested in improving/correcting the content.

P.S. Sure, you can avoid getting your rope stuck when rappelling Dark Shadows, but can you keep the rope dry?

P.P.S. To answer the OP's original question: I use two EDKs snugged against each other. Long tails, perfectly dressed, well tensioned. RG's recommendation of an EDK with an overhand on one strand is another very good option.

(This post was edited by jkd159 on Mar 20, 2009, 3:25 AM)

vegastradguy

Mar 20, 2009, 5:19 AM
Post #60 of 83 (3858 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I don't think you've got a big enough difference. 10mm and 7.5mm and you'll see it plain as day.

i suspect you're right- i just dont climb on anything thicker than 9.8mm anymore unless someone has managed to talk me into wall climbing!

i also agree with you, rgold- you definitely need to be diligent and aware of whats going on with your ropes when rappelling, no matter what the circumstance.

budman

Mar 20, 2009, 2:01 PM
Post #61 of 83 (3849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand your logic but after numerous desert routes and lots of towers I'll stick to my system as it works well. I use a square knot backed up by a double fisherman, 9.8lead, and 6mm static tag for weigh and less friction when pulling. First rule of rappeling watch the dam ends of the ropes or your doing something else called trying to get hurt. After having stuck ropes on long days I never tie a knot in the ends of the rope, just something else to get stuck in cracks, on chickenheads, and god knows what else. Fixing things in the dark I believe is more of a hazard than the what some might call the poor system that I use. For the most part in the real world rappels are rarely a full 60m. When they are be very careful with a 60m static and 60m lead rope. Can't say I figured this out on my own. Most are things picked up from friends that have been climbing in the desert for years. All I can say is if it works for you do it as long as you come back in one piece. Oh yeh that goes for your partner too.

theguy

Mar 20, 2009, 7:07 PM
Post #62 of 83 (3832 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
If there is not enough rope left to do a normal free climb lead I can do a roped solo lead with two locking biners and a clove hitch. If both ends of the rope are still at the belay station I can ascend the line with cordlet tied in a prussic or slings with a climbheist. If there is not enough rope to relead the pitch normally, I can also use a prussic or GriGri to climb the rope in a roped solo mode as opposed to the double carabiner and clove hitch method (assuming the other end of the rope can be tied down and assuming the rope is still running through the rap ring).

What am I missing in these scenarios?

a) Could you explain why a roped solo lead requires less rope than a normal free climb lead?

b) If you're able to tie into one end, and you're "assuming the other end of the rope can be tied down", then aren't both ends of the rope still at the belay station, or as good as?

c) If "both ends are at the belay station" and you have a partner, why would you ascend the lines with a prussik or klemheist? Why wouldn't you just run one (if one of the ropes is snagged off to the side and you're short on additional rope) or both ropes through your ATC or similar device (you haven't lost that or ditched it in favor of a gri-gri have you?) and have your partner give you a fireman's belay?

marc801

Mar 20, 2009, 8:32 PM
Post #63 of 83 (3815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jkd159] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jkd159 wrote:
But we are specifically talking about Dark Shadows, right?
Not really. The OP specifically mentioned Prince of Darkness. In slight thread drift, I happened to mention Dark Shadows and that our ropes got stuck in the unlikeliest of ways. Here's the story:
Final two-rope rap into the pool. Our ropes were tied with an EDK. They pulled fine, and we were able to keep the first one dry. When enough of the second rope was pulled, it started to run freely, as expected. It got about a foot from the end and suddenly stopped. We pulled and tried all sorts of tricks - it wouldn't budge. We waited for the party behind us to free it when they descended.

A combination of rock configuration, anchor location, rings on the anchor, and the end of the rope starting to fling around......all conspired to cause a loop of the rope to jam beneath one of the rings on the anchor. It was just an overhand loop, not even a knot, that wedged in just the right way, and no amount of teasing from the ground could release it. Obviously, this was explained to us by the other party, but had we been last, we would have reclimbed the pitches - prussiking was out of the question since we knew 1) somehow the last foot of rope was jammed, 2) no idea how or on what.

jt512

Mar 20, 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #64 of 83 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theguy] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theguy wrote:
USnavy wrote:
If there is not enough rope left to do a normal free climb lead I can do a roped solo lead with two locking biners and a clove hitch. If both ends of the rope are still at the belay station I can ascend the line with cordlet tied in a prussic or slings with a climbheist. If there is not enough rope to relead the pitch normally, I can also use a prussic or GriGri to climb the rope in a roped solo mode as opposed to the double carabiner and clove hitch method (assuming the other end of the rope can be tied down and assuming the rope is still running through the rap ring).

Knowledge of how to rope solo and ascend a fixed line, apparently.

In reply to:
a) Could you explain why a roped solo lead requires less rope than a normal free climb lead??

Because for a belayed lead, the climber ties into the end of the rope and the belayer runs a bight of rope through his belay device. There has to be enough slack in the rope so that the rope will be able to run from the stuck point down to the belayer and back up to the stuck point.

When you rope solo, you anchor one end of the rope, tie into the middle of the rope, and move up your tie-in point as you ascend, so you can rope solo the route with very little slack in the rope.

In reply to:
c) If "both ends are at the belay station" and you have a partner, why would you ascend the lines with a prussik or klemheist? Why wouldn't you just run one (if one of the ropes is snagged off to the side and you're short on additional rope) or both ropes through your ATC or similar device (you haven't lost that or ditched it in favor of a gri-gri have you?) and have your partner give you a fireman's belay?

To ascend a rope you use prusiks. A belay device is not necessary or useful, nor is a fireman's belay. There is no such thing as "up-rappelling."

Jay

theguy

Mar 20, 2009, 11:45 PM
Post #65 of 83 (3792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
theguy wrote:
USnavy wrote:

In reply to:
a) Could you explain why a roped solo lead requires less rope than a normal free climb lead??

Because for a belayed lead, the climber ties into the end of the rope and the belayer runs a bight of rope through his belay device. There has to be enough slack in the rope so that the rope will be able to run from the stuck point down to the belayer and back up to the stuck point.

When you rope solo, you anchor one end of the rope, tie into the middle of the rope, and move up your tie-in point as you ascend, so you can rope solo the route with very little slack in the rope.

In reply to:

To ascend a rope you use prusiks. A belay device is not necessary or useful, nor is a fireman's belay. There is no such thing as "up-rappelling."

Jay

Thanks for clarification.

Re. a) If I'm understanding right, you're proposing that he'd rope-solo the stuck end of the rope, just needing enough slack for the clove hitches and any backup knots?

Re. b) I was thinking of Dark Shadows and POD specifically, where you can climb the rap lines. Evidently if you can't climb it, you're going to need to ascend the rope...

jt512

Mar 20, 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #66 of 83 (3789 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theguy] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theguy wrote:
jt512 wrote:
theguy wrote:
USnavy wrote:

In reply to:

In reply to:

Jay

Thanks for clarification.

Re. a) If I'm understanding right, you're proposing that he'd rope-solo the stuck end of the rope, just needing enough slack for the clove hitches and any backup knots?

Yes.

zeke_sf

Mar 21, 2009, 7:25 PM
Post #67 of 83 (3759 views)
Shortcut

Re: [budman] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

budman wrote:
I use a square knot backed up by a double fisherman, 9.8lead, and 6mm static tag for weigh and less friction when pulling.

Man, I love the square knot. So elegant, so simple, so... knotty. I've never used it for rapping (I just use it to secure my chalkbag belt), but with a double fisherman backup, I bet it's as good as anything else out there. The sharp bends that "weaken" it is the big argument against it, I gather, but if you're worried about your rope breaking under any force you could conceivably exert on rappel, you're probably climbing on clothesline. If you've trusted it to hold ropes with such diameter differences, more similarly-sized rope would be no problem.

knudenoggin

Mar 21, 2009, 8:22 PM
Post #68 of 83 (3748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
So elegant, so simple, so... knotty. I've never used it for rapping (I just use it to secure my chalkbag belt), but with a double fisherman backup, I bet it's as good as anything else out there. The sharp bends that "weaken" it is the big argument against it, I gather, ...
So ... --what?!
So ill-suited to different-nature (size, stiffness, ...) ropes!
And backed up with Strangle knots, which are the component
halves of a Dlb.Fish./Grapevine.

Aside from poor performance w/mis-matched ropes, the Square
knot w/back-ups is much more bulky and difficult to pull over
a surface than the Offset knots previously cited. (And well
longer to tie/untie, though simple enough.)

It might be noted here that the back-up, Strangle knots in this
case are only as tight as one sets them; in contrast
to the simple Overhand back-up for the Offset Ring Bend (EDK),
which will be tensioned further by loading (if it is set properly
snug to the ORB body). Indeed, some might prefer the Thief
knot (Square form, but loaded on catercorner ends) precisely
so that in slippage it will bring the Strangle back-ups into some
tension. (But that doesn't help with flow over a surface.)

*kN*

bill413

Mar 21, 2009, 9:18 PM
Post #69 of 83 (3742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knudenoggin] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I certainly agree about a square knot not being safe for ropes of different diameters. Sailors discovered this quite some time ago. In situations with differing ropes, there is another knot that is superior. But, I wouldn't use it for rappel. One of the dangers of the square knot is that, with ropes of differing stiffness, it can transfer into a girth hitch around one strand. Basically like a one wrap prussik. In fact, this transformation is where the other name of the square knot is derived from - the reef knot. It was used to reef sails (bundle them up for less area in the wind) because it could be shaken out by pulling on one strand. Not something I would trust without back-ups.
The EDK is much better suited for rappelling applications.

zeke_sf

Mar 22, 2009, 5:50 AM
Post #70 of 83 (3718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knudenoggin] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knudenoggin wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:
So elegant, so simple, so... knotty. I've never used it for rapping (I just use it to secure my chalkbag belt), but with a double fisherman backup, I bet it's as good as anything else out there. The sharp bends that "weaken" it is the big argument against it, I gather, ...
So ... --what?!
So ill-suited to different-nature (size, stiffness, ...) ropes!
And backed up with Strangle knots, which are the component
halves of a Dlb.Fish./Grapevine.

Aside from poor performance w/mis-matched ropes, the Square
knot w/back-ups is much more bulky and difficult to pull over
a surface than the Offset knots previously cited. (And well
longer to tie/untie, though simple enough.)

It might be noted here that the back-up, Strangle knots in this
case are only as tight as one sets them; in contrast
to the simple Overhand back-up for the Offset Ring Bend (EDK),
which will be tensioned further by loading (if it is set properly
snug to the ORB body). Indeed, some might prefer the Thief
knot (Square form, but loaded on catercorner ends) precisely
so that in slippage it will bring the Strangle back-ups into some
tension. (But that doesn't help with flow over a surface.)

*kN*

Despite your book larnin', it seems dude has had a successful track record with this combo? And that's quite a millimeter spread between his tag and lead line too. And, much as I appreciate a Squah Knot, I'm not actually gonna rap off of it when the EDK and other options are better. Also, I think the whole rope catching the tie-in knot deal may be overstated, but, hey, if I hadn't used an EDK at Red Rock, I may well have had that problem as well.

zeke_sf

Mar 22, 2009, 5:52 AM
Post #71 of 83 (3714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
I certainly agree about a square knot not being safe for ropes of different diameters. Sailors discovered this quite some time ago. In situations with differing ropes, there is another knot that is superior. But, I wouldn't use it for rappel. One of the dangers of the square knot is that, with ropes of differing stiffness, it can transfer into a girth hitch around one strand. Basically like a one wrap prussik. In fact, this transformation is where the other name of the square knot is derived from - the reef knot. It was used to reef sails (bundle them up for less area in the wind) because it could be shaken out by pulling on one strand. Not something I would trust without back-ups.

I stopped reading at "Sailors". Did I miss anything?

notapplicable

Mar 22, 2009, 5:53 AM
Post #72 of 83 (3709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
bill413 wrote:

I stopped reading at "Sailors". Did I miss anything?

LaughLaughLaugh

catbird_seat

Mar 23, 2009, 1:55 AM
Post #73 of 83 (3684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
rgold wrote:

i understand the concept and theory behind this, but to be honest, i've never experienced it myself- and i regularly alternate which rope gets pulled, but i have never experienced noticeable rope creep with my two lines (9.8mm & 8.4mm). thats not to say it doesnt happen in other instances, i'm just posting an observation.
I have seen this creep when the smaller rope is threaded through the anchor. My partner was really tired and not paying attention to what he was doing. I was at the anchor, pinching the strands together with my hand to prevent the knot from migrating any further. It was disturbing.

TJGoSurf

Mar 26, 2009, 7:32 PM
Post #74 of 83 (3615 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

EDK, and not to point out the obvious, with your long tails make sure you don't try to rap down the tails, its a real short/long trip.

notapplicable

Mar 26, 2009, 7:44 PM
Post #75 of 83 (3608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TJGoSurf] Best knot to use in Red Rock(s) to tie two different sized ropes to rap off (figure eight?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy fuck!!

Has that happened before?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook