First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

krusher4

Mar 24, 2009, 7:42 PM
Post #1 of 50 (2855 views)
Shortcut

How hard does Bear Grills pull down?
Report this Post
Can't Post

So I think most everyone has see Survivor Man w/ Bear Grills and just about every episode he's free soloing something. Does anyone know in normal life how hard this dude climbs because he sure does keep his mind in check pretty well?

randyb

Mar 24, 2009, 7:46 PM
Post #2 of 50 (2840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krusher4] How hard does Bear Grills pull down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, he did hold the record for youngest person to ascend Everest for some years. I imagine he is a strong climber

krusher4

Mar 24, 2009, 7:51 PM
Post #3 of 50 (2823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [randyb] How hard does Bear Grills pull down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry I was thinking rock grades 5. scale?

jman

Mar 24, 2009, 7:52 PM
Post #4 of 50 (2819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wrong show...His is Man vs Wild. Not sure how hard he climbs. I used to watch his show until it was leaked that a number of scenarios were blatantly staged. Though did really like the documentary he filmed called Escape to the Legion.

IsayAutumn

Mar 24, 2009, 7:59 PM
Post #5 of 50 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jman] How hard does Bear Grills pull down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think he was the youngest person to ascend Everest. I think he was the youngest Briton.

And yes, his show was fake. He is a poser who can't pull toilet paper off the roll, let alone hard technical climbing moves.

acadiaclmber

Mar 24, 2009, 8:06 PM
Post #6 of 50 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IsayAutumn] How hard does Bear Grills pull down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe his "free solo" in the episode in patagonia was really just the same move about 5 times from different angles.... You can clearly see him sink his hand into the same distinct pocket every time.

krusher4

Mar 24, 2009, 8:07 PM
Post #7 of 50 (2782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acadiaclmber] How hard does Bear Grills pull down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acadiaclmber wrote:
I believe his "free solo" in the episode in patagonia was really just the same move about 5 times from different angles.... You can clearly see him sink his hand into the same distinct pocket every time.

oh no!!! please don't tell me it's all Hollywood Glam? The dude must really know how to climb right?

Partner xtrmecat

Mar 24, 2009, 8:40 PM
Post #8 of 50 (2702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I cannot attest to his climbing ability. All of his survival skills are bad, period. He is bad news. Do not do what he does, as he is an idiot, that knows very little if not nothing at all. His show on survival (air dropped near the Canadian line in Montana) has absolutely no usable information. Quite the contrary, the idiot clearly and blatantly does most of the do nots. He is an idiot(did aI say that already).
My guess of his climbing abilities is he is a touron just waiting to claim his place in the statistics, at or near a sub 5.5 level. This is based from observation on his claimed skillset, and just an estimate. In my professional estimate concearning safety, he is one of the guys that considers himself gifted, when in fact he is just a very lucky idiot, just waiting for the now stacked against him odds, to get him.

trenchdigger

Mar 24, 2009, 8:54 PM
Post #9 of 50 (2666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jman wrote:
Wrong show...His is Man vs Wild. Not sure how hard he climbs. I used to watch his show until it was leaked that a number of scenarios were blatantly staged. Though did really like the documentary he filmed called Escape to the Legion.

"Leaked"? I thought it was painfully obvious from the 10 minutes of the only Man vs. Wild episode I've seen (parachuting onto the Sierra crest). The guy is on the crest and decides to go WEST instead of EAST. Hmm... let's see, shall I travel less than 10 miles to Hwy 395 or 50+ miles to Fresno? It only got worse from there.

edge

Mar 24, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #10 of 50 (2665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtrmecat] How hard does Bear Grills pull down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So if I claim to be starving and on death's doorstep, then I can have a full camera team film me to validate all of that, right?

So what if he climbed Everest, MSN just ran a story about someone's Grandma doing just that, and even they have no clue how many times that has been accomplished.

I bet he climbs 5.9 outdoors, maybe 5.10 in his home gym.

patmay81

Mar 24, 2009, 8:56 PM
Post #11 of 50 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if he is an idiot, he's an entertainer. And he is very entertaining. His shows with out a doubt do not portray what a person should do in a survival situation, they are pure fiction.
For example, you wouldn't go into an abandoned mine to find your way down a mountain. And you would not crawl into a crevasse to get to the base of a glacier. And you don't pull your rope mid rap knowing that you can't build an anchor for another rap.
It is pretty awesome to see him jump out of planes, helicopters, and balloons to get to his film locations. I also find entertaining the amounts of disgusting things he will eat, such as eyes from dead sheep or maggots from a rotten deer carcass.
He has done some climbing, and is a relatively fit person. I'd guess he climbs in the 5.9 range (if he ever had to do any actually climbing).

jman

Mar 24, 2009, 9:12 PM
Post #12 of 50 (2631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] How hard does Bear Grills pull down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
jman wrote:

"Leaked"? I thought it was painfully obvious from the 10 minutes of the only Man vs. Wild episode I've seen (parachuting onto the Sierra crest). The guy is on the crest and decides to go WEST instead of EAST. Hmm... let's see, shall I travel less than 10 miles to Hwy 395 or 50+ miles to Fresno? It only got worse from there.

There were lots of obviously staged scenarios. The one that was wayyyy over the top for me was when there was supposedly a bear near his camp in the middle of the night and you only saw its shadow...then a photo was leaked and the bear turned out to be a crew members with a bear costume on.

Partner xtrmecat

Mar 24, 2009, 9:14 PM
Post #13 of 50 (2627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] How hard does Bear Grills pull down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patmay81 wrote:
I don't know if he is an idiot, he's an entertainer. And he is very entertaining. His shows with out a doubt do not portray what a person should do in a survival situation, they are pure fiction.
For example, you wouldn't go into an abandoned mine to find your way down a mountain. And you would not crawl into a crevasse to get to the base of a glacier. And you don't pull your rope mid rap knowing that you can't build an anchor for another rap.
It is pretty awesome to see him jump out of planes, helicopters, and balloons to get to his film locations. I also find entertaining the amounts of disgusting things he will eat, such as eyes from dead sheep or maggots from a rotten deer carcass.
He has done some climbing, and is a relatively fit person. I'd guess he climbs in the 5.9 range (if he ever had to do any actually climbing).

And you described just a few of his actions that are just horrendous, and your first statement is I don't know if he is an idiot? Good god, how much more of him can you endure just to let him prove to you he is indeed just that?

Bob

(oh yea, my wife"s all time favorite is running downhill, at mid nighttime, to outrun a "grizzley" stalking him for food.)

patmay81

Mar 24, 2009, 9:17 PM
Post #14 of 50 (2619 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jman wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
jman wrote:

There were lots of obviously staged scenarios. The one that was wayyyy over the top for me was when there was supposedly a bear near his camp in the middle of the night and you only saw its shadow...then a photo was leaked and the bear turned out to be a crew members with a bear costume on.
they actually have a disclaimer on the show that he is "recieving support" from local experts, and another that many of the situations are staged for illustrative purposes (whatever that means).

carabiner96

Mar 24, 2009, 9:35 PM
Post #15 of 50 (2581 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] How hard does Bear Grills pull down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bear Grylls is a kewty.

patmay81

Mar 24, 2009, 9:36 PM
Post #16 of 50 (2581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xtrmecat wrote:
(oh yea, my wife"s all time favorite is running downhill, at mid nighttime, to outrun a "grizzley" stalking him for food.)
See! thats entertainment!!!!! You don't get laughs like that from some stupid sitcom!
The person I would consider an idiot would be the guy who watches that show, and gets hurt/dead because he "saw it on man vs. wild".

zeke_sf

Mar 24, 2009, 9:50 PM
Post #17 of 50 (2558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As much as I think the show has been a fraud, I bet he can probably climb and probably knows a bit about adventurin' and all that. That said, the show is obviously a scripted gimmick and he really does give what seems like terrible advice at times. Besides contriving instances to free solo, I remember one episode where he admonishes to keep your arms bent while climbing, otherwise they'll cramp up. Really? WRONG!

shimanilami

Mar 24, 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #18 of 50 (2515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw an episode where he digs nuts out of bear shit and then eats 'em.

chossmonkey

Mar 24, 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #19 of 50 (2461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

krusher4 wrote:
So I think most everyone has see Survivor Man w/ Bear Grills and just about every episode he's free soloing something. Does anyone know in normal life how hard this dude climbs because he sure does keep his mind in check pretty well?

Huh?????

jabtocrag

Mar 24, 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #20 of 50 (2451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

His show can be entertaining, but a good deal of what he spews during it can't be trusted. I will say that he's obviously athletic and despite his "staging" during filming, he has some interesting credits to his name. More importantly, I think he's done a good amount of charitable work over the years!!!

crotch

Mar 24, 2009, 11:22 PM
Post #21 of 50 (2416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] How hard does Bear Grills pull down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Remember the episode where he jacks off a bison to stay warm? Man that was gripping.

(This post was edited by crotch on Mar 24, 2009, 11:23 PM)

hafilax

Mar 24, 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #22 of 50 (2395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crotch] How hard does Bear Grills pull down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Or when he used his light saber to cut open a tauntaun!

quiteatingmysteak

Mar 24, 2009, 11:36 PM
Post #23 of 50 (2382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why you gotta hate on bear grylls? Its TV, whaddya expect?

I remember when people started to gasp about how his scenes were set up... which I think isn't a big deal, at all. Try filming a survival show without pre-placed rattlesnakes or purposely getting yourself into trouble.

zzzz

From what I saw he did some things that do work, simmer down. I knew people would go all dwight schrute and argue the finer points of outdoor survival with duct tape and a bag of thumbtacks. Sit down and enjoy, your blood pressure is high enough as it is.

ryanb

Mar 24, 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #24 of 50 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He is british and there for his climbing skills must be classified using the british adjective scale. I imagine he tops out some where between VD (which stands for "this slimy piece of stone will give me Venereal Disease") and HVS (which stand for "How Very Sporting this day in the country had turned out to be").

For people not familiar with the british style, all climbs in Britain are 25 foot tall 5.9+'s with one hard move near the top and the rating system is based primarily on how sharp the rocks at the bottom are.

;)

bill413

Mar 24, 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #25 of 50 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quiteatingmysteak] How hard does Bear Grills pull down? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it's supposedly a solo survival show. But didn't anyone get a clue from the fact that there were obviously external cameramen there?

Guess he has walking cameras go along with him. Wonder where I can get some.

As Johnny Carson once said about Survivor ... "Those people are in less danger than I am in my living room."

TV.

(This post was edited by bill413 on Mar 24, 2009, 11:54 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook