Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Partner camhead

Sep 10, 2007, 6:22 PM
Post #26 of 95 (9181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Trad Texas Rope Trick [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

man, that's a terrible photo; there is no WAY we will ever be able to tell who that loser is... too bad.

kirksullivan

Mar 13, 2009, 1:38 AM
Post #27 of 95 (8798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Trad Texas Rope Trick [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

probably my fault... but don't you hook your rappel device to the end you initially lowered down to the ground and the rope directly coming out of the sling to the ground? just leave the "tail" end that comes from the ground up to the knot unweighted and able to stay unweighted until the who ever rappels reaches bottom.

rocknice2

Mar 13, 2009, 2:49 AM
Post #28 of 95 (8768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kirksullivan] Trad Texas Rope Trick [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kirksullivan wrote:
probably my fault... but don't you hook your rappel device to the end you initially lowered down to the ground and the rope directly coming out of the sling to the ground? just leave the "tail" end that comes from the ground up to the knot unweighted and able to stay unweighted until the who ever rappels reaches bottom.

I'm having trouble understanding you. But just don't rap the line tied to the trigger.

blondgecko

Mar 13, 2009, 6:26 AM
Post #29 of 95 (8735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a thought...

With modern technology, it shouldn't be too difficult to put together a remote controlled cam trigger-puller. Small DC motor, suitably geared, microwave wireless receiver (think garage door keychain trigger), ...

I reckon you could put something together that would weigh less, or not much more than a cam, and done properly you wouldn't have to worry about accidentally triggering it before you're on the ground.

kirksullivan

Mar 13, 2009, 11:09 AM
Post #30 of 95 (8706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
kirksullivan wrote:

I'm having trouble understanding you. But just don't rap the line tied to the trigger.

yeah that is what I wanted to hear b/c the way you initially worded it it sounded like I would only rap off the rope that is initially lowered to the ground.

graniteboy

Mar 13, 2009, 6:31 PM
Post #31 of 95 (8645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Trad Texas Rope Trick [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The TRT I've used lots on sport routes, But I think I'd agree that a remote garage door method would be far preferable.
Think about THIS, kiddies: the 'trigger rope" has a weight of it's own. it is constantly pulling on the trigger, irrespective of whether or not you pull on it. Over the course of 20 or 30 meters of rapping, that rope weight can be pretty significant. It will pull the trigger.

I can easily see how, if you just unweighted the cam for just a tenth of a second on the rappel, this thing would turn into an instant death machine. Good luck out there, and let me know where and when you're gonna use it so I can come and collect the shiny new rack that you were so afraid of leaving any of it on the wall, I'll come and scavenge it off your dead body. Cheers. Sly

rocknice2

Mar 15, 2009, 2:54 AM
Post #32 of 95 (8611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [graniteboy] Trad Texas Rope Trick [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

graniteboy wrote:
The TRT I've used lots on sport routes, But I think I'd agree that a remote garage door method would be far preferable.
Think about THIS, kiddies: the 'trigger rope" has a weight of it's own. it is constantly pulling on the trigger, irrespective of whether or not you pull on it. Over the course of 20 or 30 meters of rapping, that rope weight can be pretty significant. It will pull the trigger.

I can easily see how, if you just unweighted the cam for just a tenth of a second on the rappel, this thing would turn into an instant death machine. Good luck out there, and let me know where and when you're gonna use it so I can come and collect the shiny new rack that you were so afraid of leaving any of it on the wall, I'll come and scavenge it off your dead body. Cheers. Sly

You obviously didn't read J-ung's testing of the TTRT rig.

j_ung wrote:
j_ung wrote:
I can imagine a safer way to do it with two cams, by using a two-loop figure eight (or bowline on a bight) with unequal loops at the end of your pull rope. You'd pull the rope to retrieve your cams and it would remove first the tighter short one, then the looser long one. Technically, you could pull this off with as many cams as you want.

Here's a Majid-like MS paint-o-gram. You could go half the rope length, too, unlike the measley third you get from the sport TRT.

[image]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9447/ttrtzy5.jpg[/image]

I set this up and tried it yesterday in a horizontal at about head height. Worked like a charm.

Some observations:

1. Deep cam placements were harder to clean than less deep. I'll leave it to individuals to find their own balance between safety and ease of retrieval.
2. Placements that were closer to the overcammed end of the spectrum were also more difficult to clean. I found a placement somewhere in the middle (leaning ever-so slightly toward undercammed) to work best.
3. I sometimes needed a good stiff yank to clean one or both cams, which leads me to believe that the more rope you have in the system, the more difficult they might be to clean (due to rope stretch).
4. Constricting placements were significantly more difficult to clean. Parallel-sided cracks worked best, but slight irregularities were also doable.
5. Somebody above mentioned that the weight of the rope hanging on the triggers might cause the whole shabang to fail. This may be different in vertical or bomb-bay cracks, however, in every trial, I had to pull harder than the weight of a rope to free the cams. Also, I don't think it's possible to clean the cams with a person's full body-weight on the rap line. Still, avoid throwing the retrieval end of the rope before rappelling.

Use your own judgment about your cams' landings.

(This post was edited by rocknice2 on Mar 15, 2009, 2:57 AM)

A-Bowl

Mar 15, 2009, 3:54 AM
Post #33 of 95 (8574 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did that the day before yesterday on a 12aR... done it many times successfully. Yeah I like to bail

graniteboy

Mar 16, 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #34 of 95 (8528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Yeah...I obviously DID read that post.
And I'll still be happy to collect your gear from your dead body. Go on and use this method...I'll wait for word of the accident. You fail to recognize that, just because it works in a few tests, doesn't mean it's safe.
I mean, really, why READ the statistics from "Accidents in North American Mountaineering" when you can actually BE the subject of a featured article in AINAM?

Partner j_ung

Mar 16, 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #35 of 95 (8521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

graniteboy wrote:
And I'll still be happy to collect your gear from your dead body. Go on and use this method...I'll wait for word of the accident. You fail to recognize that, just because it works in a few tests, doesn't mean it's safe.
I mean, really, why READ the statistics from "Accidents in North American Mountaineering" when you can actually BE the subject of a featured article in AINAM?

You know, I actually agree with that. If you don't have your game dialed, there's absolutely no decent reason to go all Chuck Yeager on this rig. Maybe the wind blows hard and pulls on your retrieval rope or some numbskull on the ground pulls it for whatever stupid reason... Hell, I thought it up and you don't see me running out to rap on that jingus shit.

majid_sabet

Mar 16, 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #36 of 95 (8498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

graniteboy wrote:
I mean, really, why READ the statistics from "Accidents in North American Mountaineering" when you can actually BE the subject of a fea tured article in AINAM?

Not sure what version of this trick most guys in here are experimented with but the version I offered few years back is a bullet proof and probably the only way to escape a trad situation using cams . The only modification i have made since mentioning this method is to run the release cord in "S" format (over and under the pin) instead of running it directly over the release pin.

Again, this should not be used by n00bs.

rocknice2

Mar 18, 2009, 1:40 AM
Post #37 of 95 (8458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Trad Texas Rope Trick [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Not sure what version of this trick most guys in here are experimented with but the version I offered few years back is a bullet proof and probably the only way to escape a trad situation using cams . The only modification i have made since mentioning this method is to run the release cord in "S" format (over and under the pin) instead of running it directly over the release pin.

Majid
I got several emails from you asking me to explain how this rig works.

graniteboy wrote:

Never said it was SAFE.
I've tried it. Doesn't mean I use it.
It's a trick, an expansion on the TRT

But hey if your the kind of guy who would loot a corpes...... what can I say
All the gear will have micro fractures!!!!!

(This post was edited by rocknice2 on Mar 18, 2009, 1:42 AM)

dudemanbu

Mar 18, 2009, 2:02 AM
Post #38 of 95 (8448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
graniteboy wrote:

You know, I actually agree with that. If you don't have your game dialed, there's absolutely no decent reason to go all Chuck Yeager on this rig. Maybe the wind blows hard and pulls on your retrieval rope or some numbskull on the ground pulls it for whatever stupid reason... Hell, I thought it up and you don't see me running out to rap on that jingus shit.

It would suck for the last words you hear to be "Hey there! let me give you a fireman's!"

(This post was edited by dudemanbu on Mar 18, 2009, 2:02 AM)

rocknice2

Mar 18, 2009, 2:06 AM
Post #39 of 95 (8444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dudemanbu] Trad Texas Rope Trick [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dudemanbu wrote:
It would suck for the last words you hear to be "Hey there! let me give you a fireman's!"

For the walking crash pad you mean

catbird_seat

Mar 23, 2009, 5:57 AM
Post #40 of 95 (8366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that most of you greatly overestimate the chance that the trigger could be accidentally tripped while one is rappelling. It is likely that the trigger wires would fail before the cam would come out of the crack when it is fully weighted.

At the very least it would take a very strong and deliberate tug.

One way to make it safer would be to put a length of bungee cord as a shock absorber near the top of the trip cord. You'd have to pull the slack out of the trip cord before you would pull the cam.

graniteboy

Mar 24, 2009, 6:05 PM
Post #41 of 95 (8296 views)
Shortcut

Re: [catbird_seat] Trad Texas Rope Trick [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My point about this rig is NOT that it would come out when fully weighted, (DUH) but rather that you'd make a little error of unweighting the rig for a half second by stepping on a flake or a little edge, thus allowing the trigger pull rope to do it's thing while you're still up in the air.

Partner cracklover

Mar 24, 2009, 7:00 PM
Post #42 of 95 (8262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool trick, but do you really think you could generate enough force to release the triggers when pulling an entire 100 feet worth of dynamic rope?

GO

catbird_seat

Mar 25, 2009, 3:37 AM
Post #43 of 95 (8223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

graniteboy wrote:
My point about this rig is NOT that it would come out when fully weighted, (DUH) but rather that you'd make a little error of unweighting the rig for a half second by stepping on a flake or a little edge, thus allowing the trigger pull rope to do it's thing while you're still up in the air.
You have a point there.

dynoho

Mar 25, 2009, 4:21 AM
Post #44 of 95 (8209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Majid

Hammered like a piton.

zeke_sf

Mar 25, 2009, 4:32 AM
Post #45 of 95 (8206 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
dudemanbu wrote:

For the walking crash pad you mean

Heh. I've always had the thought if I somehow end up free falling from great height, I am doing my best to aim. Watch out, bitches! I'm not screaming as I plummet, I'm zeroing in on you!

zeke_sf

Mar 25, 2009, 4:34 AM
Post #46 of 95 (8202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynoho] Trad Texas Rope Trick [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynoho wrote:
rocknice2 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Majid

Hammered like a piton.

In all fairness, Majid did say he didn't know what they were doing.

majid_sabet

Mar 25, 2009, 5:35 AM
Post #47 of 95 (8191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Trad Texas Rope Trick [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
dynoho wrote:
rocknice2 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Majid

Hammered like a piton.

In all fairness, Majid did say he didn't know what they were doing.

I asked him to email so we could talk about this out of this forum. I just do not people like that burger boy try to this and turn in to a lab fight.

and the system works fine once you do it right

Partner j_ung

Mar 26, 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #48 of 95 (8142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Trad Texas Rope Trick [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Cool trick, but do you really think you could generate enough force to release the triggers when pulling an entire 100 feet worth of dynamic rope?

GO

I honestly don't know for sure, but I think yes. Of course, it'll send the whole rig rocketing toward the ground at greater than gravity speed. The guy at the Gunks last weekend got hit by one lousy freefalling gold Camalot and he didn't fare too well. Crazy

Partner cracklover

Mar 26, 2009, 2:44 PM
Post #49 of 95 (8123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

I honestly don't know for sure, but I think yes. Of course, it'll send the whole rig rocketing toward the ground at greater than gravity speed. The guy at the Gunks last weekend got hit by one lousy freefalling gold Camalot and he didn't fare too well. Crazy

I think it'd be pretty easy to get out of the way if you were doing it on purpose.

But I'm still skeptical of how easy it would be to pull the cams out, considering: 1 - A full arm's worth pull would only generate a fairly small force, and 2 - There would be nearly 200 feet of rope free-hanging on the cams. That's going to put a good deal of outward force on the cam lobes, making them bite into the rock with some force.

GO

dingus

Mar 26, 2009, 3:32 PM
Post #50 of 95 (8098 views)
Shortcut

Re: Trad Texas Rope Trick [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Texas rope trick theories are for young single men.

I hope no dads and moms out there try this sort of FUCKING BULLSHIT.

You people and your 'tricks' on this site - you're a scary bunch with your webolette bullshit and this sort of nonsense.

You folks who do this are probably going to get someone killed sooner or later. You should NOT be playing armchair theoritician on this stuff, on an open internet forum.

Go out, suspend your OWN ASS on texas rope trick theories, take pictures and report back. Put theory to practice.

DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Mar 26, 2009, 3:32 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook