Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

roy_hinkley_jr

Apr 6, 2009, 4:01 PM
Post #26 of 66 (6122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iron106] p90x for better climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

iron106 wrote:
if you are serious about getting stronger Nothing is better than Olympic lifts.

Complete nonsense. The O lifts are actually inferior for developing maximum strength. And power can be achieved with lower risk of injury from numerous other exercises. It's this sort of hype about things like O lifts that make crossfit a silly fad.

iron106

Apr 6, 2009, 4:05 PM
Post #27 of 66 (6121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] p90x for better climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Then name one sieries of workouts that make you stronger than an Olympic lifters are. They are by definition the strongest people in the world.

(This post was edited by iron106 on Apr 6, 2009, 4:12 PM)

jdefazio

Apr 6, 2009, 4:06 PM
Post #28 of 66 (6120 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MikeSaint] p90x for better climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MikeSaint wrote:
newguy5000,

If you log onto my website and pay a modest fee I will teach all the skills required for being a good troll.

Did you even see the training video? Hardcore, super strong tendoms! Laugh
I don't recall Aceto reaching said level of entertainment.
-

iron106

Apr 6, 2009, 4:11 PM
Post #29 of 66 (6114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agreee that "cross-fit" whatever that really is. Is the same thing. An ad for a system.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Apr 6, 2009, 4:28 PM
Post #30 of 66 (6104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newguy5000] p90x for better climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

newguy5000 wrote:
im no rep for p90x. to be honest i didnt even pay for the prgram i downloaded it for free as a torrent. (i noe i noe terrible isnt it)

i just think its good and does indeed improve climbn. no one here has dispproved my evidence so far - because they cant.

As to crossfit being free not really. Have you seen how much the crossfit places charge to work out? and their insane certification fees? dis is harly frees. )and shitloads more than p90x)

Also the best exercises in xfit program are the oly lifts and if u never done em before u would be a knob not to pay for proper coaching for form styles. even a squat or a deadlift will fuck u up if u do em really wrong over time.

p90x is at least up front that they will jack u. You might say well hey there newguy5000 i can log onto the xfit site for frees man and it tells me the workout. This is true, but did u need to log onto a website to be told dat doing some pushups pull ups and sprinting is good for u?

now yes p90x has lots of that stuff too but id argue its more formulated as a system that the random shit xfit spews out.

id argualise that xfit is also geard towards shorta bursts of of work whereas the p90x program is longer and constant. Thuslies they train different things to some extant. longer and constant = better carry ova to climbn on a wall. The bursty stuff aint that useful to bursty climbn cause its too different style. (i.e bursty xfit wont help u burst on bouldering angles but long and constant will help u on a tough style root.)

so yeah. p90x WILL make u a better climber.

I just simply love our “understanding” of science. There are so many ways to make it go wrong and to make money off of it. All it takes is a statement that doesn’t totally fail the sniff test of sense and away you go.

For example:

If you have high cholesterol and it has an association with stress. As we know, stress is stored in the a$$. The best way to get rid of that a$$ stress is to get f**ked in the a$$. Next, find one or two people who had a lower cholesterol reading after going on an a$$ f**king binge and you have your “testimonials”. (Statements not approved by the FDA to treat any medical condition). Next, start selling a program with various a$$ f**king techniques (videos included). Tools and implements also. It is like printing money.

Then within a year, someone will post on RC.com “A$$ F**king helped me get two grades in under one week”. I can see it now:

In reply to:
After just one week and fifteens sessions of having both the into a$$ f**king and the intermediate a$$ f**king I can say this program really works. My LDL level is down 10% and I was able to flash my first 5.11b. Some of the moves were a bit painful, but the results speak for themselves.

Was that to OTT?

roy_hinkley_jr

Apr 6, 2009, 4:42 PM
Post #31 of 66 (6100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iron106 wrote:
Then name one sieries of workouts that make you stronger than an Olympic lifters are. They are by definition the strongest people in the world.

Lots of ways to get stronger than O lifting. Only when you use a very narrow definition can you call them the "strongest." It's remarkably bad advice to even suggest those lifts have any advantage for climbers. But CF is all about bad science and hype. Believe it or not, P90X has more going for it.

onceahardman

Apr 6, 2009, 5:11 PM
Post #32 of 66 (6088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

newguy5000 wrote:
im no rep for p90x. to be honest i didnt even pay for the prgram i downloaded it for free as a torrent. (i noe i noe terrible isnt it)

i just think its good and does indeed improve climbn. no one here has dispproved my evidence so far - because they cant.

As to crossfit being free not really. Have you seen how much the crossfit places charge to work out? and their insane certification fees? dis is harly frees. )and shitloads more than p90x)

Also the best exercises in xfit program are the oly lifts and if u never done em before u would be a knob not to pay for proper coaching for form styles. even a squat or a deadlift will fuck u up if u do em really wrong over time.

p90x is at least up front that they will jack u. You might say well hey there newguy5000 i can log onto the xfit site for frees man and it tells me the workout. This is true, but did u need to log onto a website to be told dat doing some pushups pull ups and sprinting is good for u?

now yes p90x has lots of that stuff too but id argue its more formulated as a system that the random shit xfit spews out.

id argualise that xfit is also geard towards shorta bursts of of work whereas the p90x program is longer and constant. Thuslies they train different things to some extant. longer and constant = better carry ova to climbn on a wall. The bursty stuff aint that useful to bursty climbn cause its too different style. (i.e bursty xfit wont help u burst on bouldering angles but long and constant will help u on a tough style root.)

so yeah. p90x WILL make u a better climber.

And now, for our English-speaking friends,

newguy, even though I think you are a funny troll, I still feel compelled to respond to your misunderstanding of basic scientific methodology.

YOU made a claim about effectiveness of a program. Therefore, the burden falls upon YOU alone to provide the evidence. You have a report that your climbing improved a grade quickly. Great. 100% correlation.

I took a healthy crap this morning. Then I got dressed, went to the bank, and cashed a check.

Clearly, taking a crap led to $600. in my pocket. After all, there is a 100% correlation.

patmay81

Apr 6, 2009, 5:17 PM
Post #33 of 66 (6081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
iron106 wrote:

Lots of ways to get stronger than O lifting. Only when you use a very narrow definition can you call them the "strongest." It's remarkably bad advice to even suggest those lifts have any advantage for climbers. But CF is all about bad science and hype. Believe it or not, P90X has more going for it.
I'm gonna say that those guys who compete in the worlds strongest man competitions are way stronger than any Olympic weight lifter. Those dudes drag fully loaded dump trucks! That's how I'm gonna start training for climbing! I'm gonna drag my pickup loaded with gravel wherever I go! I should be cranking 5.14 in no time.

serpico

Apr 6, 2009, 5:45 PM
Post #34 of 66 (6074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

iron106 wrote:
if you are serious about getting stronger Nothing is better than Olympic lifts.

Thanks for that. I've been doing Nothing for some time now, it's good to know I'm on the right track.

iron106

Apr 6, 2009, 6:21 PM
Post #35 of 66 (6060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] p90x for better climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patmay81 wrote:
roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
iron106 wrote:

I'm gonna say that those guys who compete in the worlds strongest man competitions are way stronger than any Olympic weight lifter. Those dudes drag fully loaded dump trucks! That's how I'm gonna start training for climbing! I'm gonna drag my pickup loaded with gravel wherever I go! I should be cranking 5.14 in no time.

I am not stating that Olympic lifting is good for climbing. I am only stating that Olympic lifting makes you the strongest. The best climbers are not necessarily the strongest.

Also the strongest man is not a strength exercise. It is merely an endurance exercise or a "pumpy" route. Every "event" is done for 60 seconds or so in the strpngest man. You will notice the hardest things you do are about maximum 70%-90% effort over a amount of time 50-70 sec. While you still need to be strong to pull a dump truck you do not need to be the strongest to pull it the farthest. A single lift takes 3 seconds. It is maximal force 100%.

If you have questions about strength I could take the next 5 years of your life explaining what I know about being strong. I may not put it in words the best but I know the difference between Strength, Power and Endurance and how they relate to sport. Also I know what crap trainers spout out. They know about general fitness. They know little about strength and even less about climbing. While there are exceptions to this it may be only .001% at best,

svacast

Apr 6, 2009, 6:49 PM
Post #36 of 66 (6045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually iron106, you did imply that olympic lifts made you a better climber "Olympic lifts are really the only thing that makes you strong. Everything else is for Sylvester Stalone Climbers. "

I'm not sure why everyone is comparing p90x to crossfit, it is not the same program at all. In fact, I'm not sure why people who haven't tried p90x are saying anything about it at all. You don't know what you are talking about.

P90x is great for climbers because it focuses on flexibility and bodyweight exercises for toning (high reps of various push-ups, pull-ups, bodyweight squats, etc.) rather than heavy lifting, which adds a lot of useless muscle for climbers (meatheads are rarely good climbers).

I was able to almost double my pull-up max during the 90 days, and drastically improve flexibility and core strength. i have been doing pull-ups forever, so that was a big accomplishment for me.

It also has some great intense cardio sessions that build endurance and strengthen leg and core muscles (both vital to effective climbing).

I do think it is ignorant to claim that anyone who does p90x will improve a full grade in climbing, based off of one person's experience...that's pseudoscience; but I do think that most climbers would really benefit from completing a 90 day cycle of p90x.

keinangst

Apr 6, 2009, 6:56 PM
Post #37 of 66 (6038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [svacast] p90x for better climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Everything you just stated can also be applied to Crossfit.

In fact, you can leave out the strength workouts and just go for endurance. Or you can scale back the endurance workouts and go for strength.

Free + infinite scalability is a big plus for Crossfit. I haven't done P90x per se, but I've read over a lot of the plans and see no appreciable difference vs. a scaled-down Crossfit routine.

Oh, except for all that extra focus on vanity muscles. ;)

iron106

Apr 6, 2009, 7:05 PM
Post #38 of 66 (6028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Olympic lifts are really the only thing that makes you strong. Everything else is for Sylvester Stalone Climbers.

So if you want to get strong then they are the BEST thing to do. However, there is a lot of technique, practice, coordination you have to put in (just like climbing).

In reply to:
Actually iron106, you did imply that olympic lifts made you a better climber

I only stated that If you want to get stronger they are the best.

I just get into it when people talk smack about Olympic lifting because they are scared of getting hurt. I got hurt doing olympic lifting because I was lifting 6 hr/day 6X a week. Your body is gonna break down after doing that for 3 years without drugs. Learn a little techinque and you will get stronger than any silly workuot routine.

Again, if you want to get strong.

newguy5000

Apr 7, 2009, 1:54 AM
Post #39 of 66 (5980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MikeSaint] p90x for better climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

to answa a few points:

onceahardman if you cant prove it wrong it doesnt mean its right but it doesnt mean its wrong either :) pples are still trying to prove relativity wrong no? but arguabally my scientific data supprts it. no other variables in my test case of me other than p90x. ate the same slept the same trained the same +p90x. i thnk i can then assume p90x made me climb better with a fair degree of certainaly. this is of course different to ur taking a shit and cashing a cheque u know that is a rather obtuse comparison. i am comparing like and like. - physical training.

p90x is just good for climbing i dunno why people hate on it. dont YOU want to be a better Climber? dont fight it just try it.

NOW - as to oly lifts. yes they are good. so are squats and deadlifts. everyone knows they are good. they have always been good. but they are not GOD. and yes they are overhyped and rarely done with proper form and noobs hurt themselves on them.

i dun think olympic lifters are strongest men in the world. they are the strongest at doing olympic lifts. id outwrestle one, out climb one, out swim one and im an average athelete in high school.

BUT - if a huge chunk of rock falls on u while climbing you may need the strength of OLY lifts to thrust the rock of you. thus oly lifts could save ur life.

ryanb

Apr 7, 2009, 2:20 AM
Post #40 of 66 (5971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
name one sieries of workouts that make you stronger than an Olympic lifters are

olymic lifting, p90x, cross fit and everything else is just training for the approach.

(This post was edited by ryanb on Apr 7, 2009, 2:21 AM)

newguy5000

Apr 7, 2009, 2:38 AM
Post #41 of 66 (5964 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] p90x for better climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanb wrote:
In reply to:

[img]http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/images/Campus-Rungs.jpg[/img]

olymic lifting, p90x, cross fit and everything else is just training for the approach.

i've campuses about 5 times only (on smallest rung) it wasnt that hard lols. i climbs harda than pple that campus regulary. does campusn help climbn? maybe. maybe not. personabally i think it makes you sloppy cause no feet.

P90x is more proven to increase ur climbn. why? cause it helps ur overall system. you can 'campus' by just climbn dude. just hauls on some jugs. or boulda with no feets.

sidepull

Apr 7, 2009, 3:06 AM
Post #42 of 66 (5955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

svacast wrote:
I'll throw my testimonial out there for p90x as well. I finished the 90 days (admittedly I didn't follow it perfectly...it's crazy intense) about 3 months ago, and am in the best shape of my life.
I've always been pretty fit, but the combination of bodyweight exercises, yoga, core workouts, and a bunch of crazy cardio (kenpo, plyometrics, etc) really took my body to the next level.

That being said, I do think the program is highly overpriced...but it does work.

Oh, and even if you don't plan on buying the program, the pull-up bar is great because you don't have to bolt it in the frame (unless you are on the chubby side), and it has all sorts of handles for wide grip, leg ups and stuff.

Please post before and after shots and I will buy immediately. In fact, if it's easier, I'll just mail you my credit card.

jh_angel

Apr 7, 2009, 3:25 AM
Post #43 of 66 (5948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, I'll bite. Let's make this more scientific. newguy5000, give us your before p90x climbing grade (both bouldering and route would be best) and post p90x grades, please specify if that is indoor or outdoor too. Depending on your post grades, I'll tell you the next step of the plan.

-Josh

newguy5000

Apr 7, 2009, 4:37 AM
Post #44 of 66 (5926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jh_angel] p90x for better climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jh_angel wrote:
Alright, I'll bite. Let's make this more scientific. newguy5000, give us your before p90x climbing grade (both bouldering and route would be best) and post p90x grades, please specify if that is indoor or outdoor too. Depending on your post grades, I'll tell you the next step of the plan.

-Josh

i dun wanna go into details of my climbn grade. its like if you were just gettin into a sport and you saw some olympic competitor it would put you off cause they are too good. I dun wanna turn anyone away from climbn cause they aint as hardcore as me. that sounds mad vain, but its not arrogant style if its true. i crank hard. i tell yo uthis though. i climb on walls with angles. thats right. angles.

All u need to know for ur test is i went up two grades on lead. and one grade on bouldern. after completn p90x.

svacast

Apr 7, 2009, 5:04 AM
Post #45 of 66 (5920 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] p90x for better climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha ha...I'm not really into having shirtless posing pictures online...seems a little vain. I didn't take 'progression pics' because I was doing it for performance, not looks.
A buddy I play soccer with recommended it to me for core improvement (especially hip-flexor strength), and flexibility. It did help my game, and as I've stated before, it also helped my climbing (especially bouldering)...

You're welcome to send me your cc info though...ha ha.

I'm not even trying to convince anyone to try it; I just saw the thread and thought I'd give my two cents. If you already have a perfect routine, stick with it, if you're looking for something new I'd recommend giving P90X a try.

Oh, and if you really wanna see some topless pics of me, I guess I could send them to your email...seems a little kinky though.

Peace.

kylekienitz

Apr 7, 2009, 5:53 AM
Post #46 of 66 (5914 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

newguy5000 wrote:
this is SCIENCE this is how they split the atom. p90x is scientifcalyl provben to improve ur climbing as seen in my experminent on myself.

It is also scientifically proven that p90x, though increasing the grade at which one climbs, drastically reduces the capacity to see red lines under misspelled words.

jh_angel

Apr 7, 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #47 of 66 (5885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

newguy5000 wrote:
jh_angel wrote:

-Josh

i dun wanna go into details of my climbn grade. its like if you were just gettin into a sport and you saw some olympic competitor it would put you off cause they are too good. I dun wanna turn anyone away from climbn cause they aint as hardcore as me. that sounds mad vain, but its not arrogant style if its true. i crank hard. i tell yo uthis though. i climb on walls with angles. thats right. angles.

All u need to know for ur test is i went up two grades on lead. and one grade on bouldern. after completn p90x.

Dude, let me put it like this:

1. I know this is a troll, but I'm a little bored and the idea of this has caught my interest.

2. I train with a guy that's FA'd 5.15a, so even your fake troll grades would seem week.

3. All I want is some kind of benchmark data, even less than ideal anecdotal data, to form a hypothesis before I get this thing going.

Now get off your lazy troll @$$ and give me some fake numbers or better yet, if some of you other guys who like p90x could give me some numbers that would work too.

-Josh

keinangst

Apr 7, 2009, 1:43 PM
Post #48 of 66 (5874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] p90x for better climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanb wrote:
In reply to:

[img]http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/images/Campus-Rungs.jpg[/img]

QFT.

One thing you COULD do is to substitute every pullup in P90x or Crossfit with pullups on rock rings or a hangboard. I don't care how strong you are overall, or how great a grip you think you have from deadlifts or pullups. If you can't translate all of that strength into your last two finger joints, it's almost completely useless for climbing.

(This post was edited by keinangst on Apr 7, 2009, 1:43 PM)

svacast

Apr 7, 2009, 2:48 PM
Post #49 of 66 (5855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jh_angel] p90x for better climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, unlike newguy, I'm not going to claim that P90x was the only reason I was able to reach new levels in climbing. Before, during, and after p90x I was climbing 2-3 times per week really hard.

I'm also not going to claim I am a superb climber, because I've only been climbing for about a year. But to give you an idea, in October I was bouldering v4, and by Feb I was bouldering v6s.
As far as routes, I'm not sure...since it's been cold, I've mostly bouldered.
The last time I climbed a route outside I hadn't completed p90x. Inside I've done mostly 5.11d - 5.12a...I route mostly to keep my endurance up.
Again, I was climbing all during the time I was doing p90x. But I think the p90x really strengthened my core and improved my flexibility, which helped a lot.

Anyway, I hope all this typing helped someone out.

jh_angel

Apr 7, 2009, 3:47 PM
Post #50 of 66 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you svacast, that's what i was looking for. Before I get started on the little experiment I want to do, I need to check with my PT that p90x won't cause problems with recovery. I'm recovering from an injury to my left shoulder. I dislocated it about 4 years ago, then took a bad fall right on it back in October. My strength is back to normal, but we're still trying to stabilize the joint. If it checks out that I can do p90x without cause problems for my PT then I'll get back to you guys with how this thing will run.

-Josh

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook