RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Partner rich

Nov 23, 2002, 5:00 AM
Post #1 of 4 (681 views)
Shortcut

Dexterity Mitts
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Granite Gear makes a Dexterity Mitt, basically a mitten with the index finger free. Has anyone used them or something like them? What do you think?

data118

Nov 23, 2002, 5:43 AM
Post #2 of 4 (681 views)
Shortcut

Dexterity Mitts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Working link----> Dexiterity Mitt

[ This Message was edited by: data118 on 2002-11-22 21:44 ]

mtnsprts

Nov 23, 2002, 5:49 AM
Post #3 of 4 (681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have used a mit similar to this when I was snowmobiling before. It worked well for that. On the other hand, I have heard that ppl that use them for snowboarding and other outdoor pursuits complain that their fingers get cold b/c of the seperation.

Just something to think about.

climbs2much

Nov 23, 2002, 5:53 AM
Post #4 of 4 (681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair and the verdict is still out. But in the brief time that I have used them I have several points I could make. First of all they are warm, and if your fingers are cold when you put them on slip them all into the mit part to warm quicker. So Im a big fan of the whole mitt/glove cross breed thing.

Some of the problems with these gloves. Three pieces is allows for added veristillity, I havent yet determined how benifitial this is. When the liners are in the gloves consit of 3 layers, the shell, a liner that feels like thick saran wrap, and the insulation insert. When these three pieces are together the insulation slides around inside the waterproof breathable liner. Taking the gloves off with this liner on can be a b****h. You have to pinch the glove in the mitten section between your fingers inorder to keep the liner in. If you dont do this the liner will slide out with your hand and invert outside of the glove where it can take both hand free of gloves to restore. If you intend to do any alpine/mixed/ice with them beware of the stretchy sections of the shells. I found that these section already show wear from the small amount of rapelling/rope work I have done with them.

The verdict is still out like I said, I need to use them some more with out the water proof liner in and see how neccissary it is. Aparrently this liner is designed to be replace when ever neccisary, some thin you can do with a traditional 2 piece set up. That being said I have never had my hands get cold from water soaking into a glove. I is almost always from sweat or puting wet hands backinto gloves.

The only other gloves Like these that I know of are by OR (outdoor products). The OR gloves are much more expensive.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook