Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Partner cracklover

Apr 8, 2009, 9:08 PM
Post #26 of 217 (6667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
CapedCrusader wrote:
Burnsy,

I have to decamp cyberspace for a bit. See the gunks.com thread on the same topic for answers to your questions. And yes, the closed land which begins at Eenie Meenie extends to the top of the cliff.

CC

So in doing a bit of reading, it seems that if you were concerned about liability you'd just close access to climbing.

This has little to do with liability.

In reply to:
However, you're closing access to hiking as well, which is protected under the NY recreational statute. Thus, you're making climbers hike the top trail to the end (considerably less convenient) or rap off (more dangerous).

I'm sorry, but the above is ridiculous. You sound more like the crybaby now. It would be more convenient if I could walk through your living room to get to your fridge to see what's in there, rather than having to go in through a window. This is private property, including the cliff. We were granted access, and now that access has been rescinded. Considering your convenience and relative safety as more important than the rights of the landowners is kind of an insult to them.

In reply to:
Now, maybe the Mohonk Preserve has been very discreet with using climbers as pawns in this game (i.e. - I haven't heard about it) and maybe the Town of Gardiner is being a big jerk (i.e. - I grew up in a national park town and am relatively immune to such grumblings), but you seem to be directly targeting climbers when climbers are likely not to blame. I haven't seen or heard of instances where the two bad guys have used us as pawns. If I'm wrong, please provide evidence otherwise. I'm honestly sympathetic with you if you're being squeezed, but right now I don't see how your method is helping you in the public arena.

You are exactly right that both the Preserve/GCC and the owners coalition are using climbers as pawns. On the side of the Preserve/GCC, they are using hardball tactics on behalf of the Preserve mission and on behalf of climbers to try to buy out landowners at low prices. And on the side of the owners coalition, they are using climbers to attempt to pressure their representatives (the Preserve/GCC) to repeal the zoning law.

Kent has been trying to drum up support from the climbing community to fight the zoning law since it was first suggested, years ago. He did so quite publicly. My understanding is that he received only very limited support, and that he feels that local climbers are acting on only their narrowest self interest. So the next step on his part is to up the ante. Since y'all didn't know about this fight before, I'd say at least this move on their part was a smart one to raise more attention to their plight.

In reply to:
I know first hand that towns can be tough to deal with. I understand completely that zoning laws sometimes suck and are prohibitive. I also understand how organizations such as the Preserve can be difficult to work with, but I've always figured that the best way to win an unfair fight is to get more people on your side. Preventing access to those folks who probably care about the land (note: not the money) more than even you do seems a bit daft.

Um, I think it's more than a little presumptuous of you to suggest that you care more about the land than the actual owners do. Or are you suggesting that the owners have some nefarious intent to dump toxic chemicals into the groundwater?

In reply to:
From where I stand right now, I'm thinking you're a bit of a cry baby who has to intentionally hurt others in order to get attention. Sorry dude, but until I see more evidence that you're doing something more than trying to win a zoning battle, I'm rooting for the other team.

Clearly this is an attempt to get more attention. Up until now, most Gunks climbers didn't give a shit about these landowners' plights, and were perfectly happy to use their land. Now the landowners are using the one remaining thing left at their disposal - asking people to refrain from trespassing, and you're throwing a hissy-fit? I really don't know who the cry babies are here.

In reply to:
For disclosure's sake, yeah, I paid for my annual pass already.

And again, the Preserve doesn't own the land in question, so your membership privileges have their limits.

GO

Partner cracklover

Apr 8, 2009, 9:35 PM
Post #27 of 217 (6649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just to add one thing - while I think the responses here are wrong, I still doubt this was a wise move on the behalf of the landowners. So far as I can tell, Kent has taken a confrontational attitude from the start, and all it has led to is escalation. Perhaps, in his mind, the GCC left him no choice. It doesn't really look like they were very helpful either.

It's just a sad state of affairs.

GO

(This post was edited by cracklover on Apr 8, 2009, 9:36 PM)

CapedCrusader

Apr 8, 2009, 9:46 PM
Post #28 of 217 (6638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CapedCrusader] Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cross Posted from Supertopo

For many years, on a level playing field, the Mohonk Preserve has offered landowners far less than the land was worth and most landowners have declined. Then a new strategy emerged. The Mohonk Preserve used the “Green Assets Program”, essentially a lobbying campaign, to influence the comprehensive plans and zoning laws of a number of towns around the Preserve. The result in Gardiner has been a ridge zoning law which has stripped hundreds of thousands of dollars each from some landowners, and in one case over a million. Millions in total. We are happy to share the burden of preserving the land. We are not happy to shoulder it in such a grossly disproportionate way.

Many climbers, including the leadership within the climbing community, were supportive of the zoning law, climbers on the boards of The Mohonk Preserve, the Friends of the Shawangunks, and the GCC included. The community, many many climbers included, has chosen fit to burden a handful of people for something that benefits everyone. Given the circumstances, climbers have no reasonable expectation of a good relationship with ridge landowners or access to their land.

Porkchop brings up a common straw man argument which is, if we landowners don’t like the new zoning law then we must want McMansions all the way down the ridge. If that were the case landowners would have chopped up their land into little pieces and developed the crap out of it long before the passage of the zoning law. Instead the landowners affected adversely by the law have been exceptionally good stewards of the land. That’s why you don’t see houses all over the eastern escarpment of the ridge.

For anyone who thinks landowners are greedy I invite you to come visit the neighbors with me for a day. We’ll drive around, meet some people, and walk their land. You’ll hear them talk about their love of the land, but also about how the ridge zoning law impacts them. Then see if you want to come back here and tell everyone how greedy you think they are.

All of this could have been done much more fairly. If the 10,000 Mohonk Preserve members contributed $100 a year each to a land fund the Preserve would have $1,000,000 a year set aside for conflict free land preservation . The Nature Conservancy identified the Shawangunk Ridge as one of “the last ten great places on earth” and they were intimately involved with the Green Assets Program. If the 1,000,000 Nature Conservancy members contributed just $1 a year each then another million a year would be available for conflict free land preservation. Instead, a handful of landowners are burdened with hundreds of thousands of dollars each, collectively millions, in costs. Because we landowners object to this, climbers think we are greedy.

This Gunks community, climbers included, deserves a land preservation organization like the Harvard Forest with their Program for Conservation Innovation, and we deserve a climber’s access organization like the Southeastern Climber’s Coalition, which has done a great job of promoting climbing access and respecting private property.

As for my personal motivations, my financial interests have largely been protected, so I am in fact standing up for little old ladies on the ridge, among others. These modest and gracious people, long time ridge residents, have been thrown under the bus. If I don’t speak up for them, who will?

(This post was edited by CapedCrusader on Apr 8, 2009, 10:14 PM)

Gmburns2000

Apr 8, 2009, 9:52 PM
Post #29 of 217 (6633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
CapedCrusader wrote:
Burnsy,

I have to decamp cyberspace for a bit. See the gunks.com thread on the same topic for answers to your questions. And yes, the closed land which begins at Eenie Meenie extends to the top of the cliff.

CC

So in doing a bit of reading, it seems that if you were concerned about liability you'd just close access to climbing.

This has little to do with liability.

Thanks for making my point.

In reply to:
In reply to:
However, you're closing access to hiking as well, which is protected under the NY recreational statute. Thus, you're making climbers hike the top trail to the end (considerably less convenient) or rap off (more dangerous).

I'm sorry, but the above is ridiculous. You sound more like the crybaby now. It would be more convenient if I could walk through your living room to get to your fridge to see what's in there, rather than having to go in through a window. This is private property, including the cliff. We were granted access, and now that access has been rescinded. Considering your convenience and relative safety as more important than the rights of the landowners is kind of an insult to them.

Not really, Gabe. The access wasn't rescinded because of anything climbers did. I can see closing things down if the climbers were incosiderate, destructive, rude, etc., but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'd be crying less if the people being punished were the ones at fault.

The point that I was making was that he could have still restricted climbing without restricting hiking, because NY state law protects him if he still allows hiking and doesn't charge for it. I understand and sympathize with his plight (you did read that in my post, right?), but I think he went further than he had to.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Now, maybe the Mohonk Preserve has been very discreet with using climbers as pawns in this game (i.e. - I haven't heard about it) and maybe the Town of Gardiner is being a big jerk (i.e. - I grew up in a national park town and am relatively immune to such grumblings), but you seem to be directly targeting climbers when climbers are likely not to blame. I haven't seen or heard of instances where the two bad guys have used us as pawns. If I'm wrong, please provide evidence otherwise. I'm honestly sympathetic with you if you're being squeezed, but right now I don't see how your method is helping you in the public arena.

You are exactly right that both the Preserve/GCC and the owners coalition are using climbers as pawns. On the side of the Preserve/GCC, they are using hardball tactics on behalf of the Preserve mission and on behalf of climbers to try to buy out landowners at low prices. And on the side of the owners coalition, they are using climbers to attempt to pressure their representatives (the Preserve/GCC) to repeal the zoning law.

I doubt the Mohonk is doing this specifically to help climbers. Last I knew, there were many other types of active folks using the Preserve's land. Sure, climbers benefit quite a bit, particularly in the Nears, but there is also hiking in that area, too. Land ownership really should be looked at as the entire book of business.

Is the Preserve using unfair tactics to gain an advantage? Probably. Is this unusual? Absolutely not. Kent's tactics are certainly a testament to that. But just because he is fighting back, that doesn't mean I have to like it. He may have all the right in the world, but that doesn't explain why climbers must suffer. Again, I'm not aware of any damage that climbers have done to this property. So if they were given access before, I can't see why they'd be punished all of a sudden.

The Preserve doesn't seem to be doing battle with anyone but the owners. The owners seem to be picking fights with both the Preserve and the climbers. It's piss-poor politics. OK, so the climbers didn't jump on his side in the beginning. That may suck, but just because they didn't support him initially that doesn't mean they're evil or out to get him.

In reply to:
Kent has been trying to drum up support from the climbing community to fight the zoning law since it was first suggested, years ago. He did so quite publicly. My understanding is that he received only very limited support, and that he feels that local climbers are acting on only their narrowest self interest. So the next step on his part is to up the ante. Since y'all didn't know about this fight before, I'd say at least this move on their part was a smart one to raise more attention to their plight.

Not sure I have to apologize for picking a side. In fact, I'm not even sure anyone is acting in a way that isn't in their own narrow interest: climbers, owners, Preserve. Actually, it fits my personal philosophy pretty well: that everyone is acting in his / her own self interest all of the time, even in the act of charity (because you can deny it makes you feel good, right?)

In reply to:
In reply to:
I know first hand that towns can be tough to deal with. I understand completely that zoning laws sometimes suck and are prohibitive. I also understand how organizations such as the Preserve can be difficult to work with, but I've always figured that the best way to win an unfair fight is to get more people on your side. Preventing access to those folks who probably care about the land (note: not the money) more than even you do seems a bit daft.

Um, I think it's more than a little presumptuous of you to suggest that you care more about the land than the actual owners do. Or are you suggesting that the owners have some nefarious intent to dump toxic chemicals into the groundwater?

I'm suggesting that his intent seems to be less about land use and more about money. Is he wrong for caring about fair value? No, not really. But the land seems better served for activity than closure, and I'd think there would be better ways to get people involved than by restricting them.

Will he get the Preserve's attention? Probably. This may work in that regard.

In reply to:
In reply to:
From where I stand right now, I'm thinking you're a bit of a cry baby who has to intentionally hurt others in order to get attention. Sorry dude, but until I see more evidence that you're doing something more than trying to win a zoning battle, I'm rooting for the other team.

Clearly this is an attempt to get more attention. Up until now, most Gunks climbers didn't give a shit about these landowners' plights, and were perfectly happy to use their land. Now the landowners are using the one remaining thing left at their disposal - asking people to refrain from trespassing, and you're throwing a hissy-fit? I really don't know who the cry babies are here.

The one remaining thing left? Please. This is desperation. Zoning laws can be challenged. There are many avenues. This was a crappy one to take.

In reply to:
In reply to:
For disclosure's sake, yeah, I paid for my annual pass already.

And again, the Preserve doesn't own the land in question, so your membership privileges have their limits.

GO

My point here was to note that I'm a member of the Preserve. I never said that I had a right to climb wherever I want. My complaint is this guy's method. It's shitty because it punishes folks who shouldn't be blamed. I just find it hard to believe that this was the only way.

jsh

Apr 8, 2009, 9:53 PM
Post #30 of 217 (6632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

One more over-whined-about aspect is the idea of the little old lady landowner getting trampled on.

I'd be willing to bet my rack that most, if not all, of the landowners abutting the Preserve knew fair well that they were buying into controversy when they bought their land or home, and hoped themselves to gain financially from it. After all - why is that land so valuable in the first place? The Preserve, and zoning restrictions.

It's a bit like Prop 13 in CA, which was originally set out to protect little old lady beach-homeowners against losing their homes to escalating property taxes. What it's turned into these days is a regressive travesty. Little old lady, my ass.

Gmburns2000

Apr 8, 2009, 9:55 PM
Post #31 of 217 (6631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Just to add one thing - while I think the responses here are wrong, I still doubt this was a wise move on the behalf of the landowners. So far as I can tell, Kent has taken a confrontational attitude from the start, and all it has led to is escalation. Perhaps, in his mind, the GCC left him no choice. It doesn't really look like they were very helpful either.

It's just a sad state of affairs.

GO

This was essentially my point.

Gmburns2000

Apr 8, 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #32 of 217 (6626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think your post above is well written and honest, so thanks for that. I think your tactics are less than honorable, however (not that the Preserve's tactics are honorable).

It may be unfortunate, but I think the greediness comes from two places: 1) it is already valuable land and; 2) yes, there are people in this world who give away lots of valuable land for free. Yeah, if I lost millions due to a zoning law then I'd be pissed, too. But sometimes good deeds lead to others.

I don't think that you're greedy. I don't think that you're wrong for being angry. I do think you've played this card the wrong way and, as a result, will likely lose support. I hope you find another way to tackle this problem. I'd certainly be more supportive myself if you did.

Cheers,

Greg

CapedCrusader

Apr 8, 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #33 of 217 (6618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This was written as a follow up post on gunks.com but like many aspects og gc these days copying text into it doesn't seem to work well.
-------------------------------------

To respond to a few later comments in the thread, here on gunksdot, landowners were never approached to collaborate on how to preserve the land. The Preserve and the Nature Conservancy cooked up the Green Assets Program and people were invited to come to a meeting, run by a paid Mohonk Preserve consultant. Activists, including climbers, came and with magic markers drew all over maps of land on the ridge saying “we want this and this and this”. They then went about abusing regulatory authority to take it.

Landowners at every step of the process have asked for some consideration but were rebuffed all along. We were the enemy from the start. As for my involvement with the GCC on this issue I asked to speak with them privately on two occasions and sent two emails, all without response, before taking this public.

Landowners have been screwed. We don’t like it. We’d rather be dealing with something else. But we’re not going to just roll over.

CapedCrusader

Apr 8, 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #34 of 217 (6614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

GMBurns:

How are my tactics dishonorable?

I'm using the few tools I have to try to protect the reasonable interests of a few politically disenfranchised people at potentially great cost to myself.

How is that dishonorable?

Adk

Apr 8, 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #35 of 217 (6596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bubo] Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The landowner surely must not care about NYS General Obligations Law or they would let people climb. And no, climbing is not spelunking to you and I but it would qualify under the law.Blush The guys and gals in Albany when the law was enacted had no clue climbing would be so great.
There is more to the story and I'm wait'in!Wink
...and please don't tell be it's about money!
AMERICAN GREED!!!
Sell the property cheap and move somewhere else and know that when you die you did something honorable.

(This post was edited by Adk on Apr 8, 2009, 10:40 PM)

CapedCrusader

Apr 8, 2009, 10:58 PM
Post #36 of 217 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsh] Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jsh, some of the landowners invloved have owned their land since well before the inception of the Preserve. The Wustraus are a couple in their early seventies. Their land has been in Mrs. Wustrau's family for 120 years or so. They were recently sued by Mohonk partner The Friends of The Shawangunks. Two well known climbers serve on the board of FOS. The Wustraus land is one of the pieces that is closed, this after being open for 119 years or so.

nilcarborundum

Apr 8, 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #37 of 217 (6572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
The landowner surely must not care about NYS General Obligations Law or they would let people climb. And no, climbing is not spelunking to you and I but it would qualify under the law.Blush The guys and gals in Albany when the law was enacted had no clue climbing would be so great.
AMERICAN GREED!!!
Sell the property cheap and move somewhere else and know that when you die you did something honorable.

Really? REALLY? Unless your next post is going to offer a fair market price for the land so you can give it away, I think this qualifies as the most assinine thing I have ever read on RC.com.

Partner cracklover

Apr 8, 2009, 11:29 PM
Post #38 of 217 (6546 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Not really, Gabe. The access wasn't rescinded because of anything climbers did. I can see closing things down if the climbers were incosiderate, destructive, rude, etc., but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'd be crying less if the people being punished were the ones at fault.

The trouble is that what you describe as a "punishment" for climbers is ridiculous. Yes, it's an inconvenience for climbers. So what? I think that given the circumstances, it's pretty understandable that they've restricted access (though I don't have to like it), but there doesn't have to be a reason to restrict access. Look Greg, I've been in your apartment before. So far as I know, I didn't do anything to offend. But I'm not going to get all huffy if you say you would like me not to enter your apartment again without your explicit permission. As climbers, we don't have the right to climb whatever we damn well please, whether we "deserve" it or not!

In reply to:
The point that I was making was that he could have still restricted climbing without restricting hiking, because NY state law protects him if he still allows hiking and doesn't charge for it. I understand and sympathize with his plight (you did read that in my post, right?), but I think he went further than he had to.

Why would he want to restrict certain access but not others? The landowners are, it seems to me, trying to make a very simple point: "This is not a public park, this is private land, and while we've been nice in the past, we don't want to get walked all over."

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I doubt the Mohonk is doing this specifically to help climbers. Last I knew, there were many other types of active folks using the Preserve's land. Sure, climbers benefit quite a bit, particularly in the Nears, but there is also hiking in that area, too. Land ownership really should be looked at as the entire book of business.

My point was that the Preserve wants as much land as it can get. Here their interests line up nicely with the GCC. In that partnership, the Preserve gets the support of climbers for their own agenda. How is that not using climbers as pawns?

And if your philosophy is that everyone should look after only their own narrowest self interest, I think your philosophy is short-sighted at best.

GO

Gmburns2000

Apr 8, 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #39 of 217 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CapedCrusader wrote:
GMBurns:

How are my tactics dishonorable?

I'm using the few tools I have to try to protect the reasonable interests of a few politically disenfranchised people at potentially great cost to myself.

How is that dishonorable?

You're apparently not using all of them. Zoning laws can certainly be challenged in court. Strong arm the Preserve, not the members. Strong arm Gardiner, not it's citizens. Seriously, you want people on your side, not fighting against you. Punishing me doesn't make me sympathize with you.

I think it is dishonorable because you're punishing folks who have done nothing wrong. Don't lump me in with the GCC. Just because I climb that doesn't mean I support them (it also doesn't mean I'm against them, either).

No one who I know, to the best of my knowledge, has ever done any damage or harm to that land. All of them are appreciative of the access that has been granted. At the moment, only one of them, Cracklover, seems to be willing to give that access up (though I certainly don't want to put words in his mouth; I'm sure he'd rather see a better resolution and access than not). I just don't believe you used all of your tools, and I think you're punishing the wrong people.

Gmburns2000

Apr 8, 2009, 11:48 PM
Post #40 of 217 (6533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm breaking this up for the ease of reading...

cracklover wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
In reply to:
In reply to:

The trouble is that what you describe as a "punishment" for climbers is ridiculous. Yes, it's an inconvenience for climbers. So what? I think that given the circumstances, it's pretty understandable that they've restricted access (though I don't have to like it), but there doesn't have to be a reason to restrict access. Look Greg, I've been in your apartment before. So far as I know, I didn't do anything to offend. But I'm not going to get all huffy if you say you would like me not to enter your apartment again without your explicit permission. As climbers, we don't have the right to climb whatever we damn well please, whether we "deserve" it or not!

You're right we don't have any universal right. It isn't our land and a reason doesn't need to be given. However, it seems to me that the folks who do use the land have done so responsibly. While I certainly could just say to you, "Gabe, no, I don't want you in my house," it would probably serve me better and to say, "hey Gabe, sorry, my neighbors are being assholes. Can I meet you on the porch?"

I mean seriously, he could've restricted climbing without restricting the path access. I think the message that would have sent would have been more along the lines of, "I'm pissed, but willing to be reasonable to keep things moving along." I just don't see how making enemies like this helps things.

Gmburns2000

Apr 8, 2009, 11:52 PM
Post #41 of 217 (6529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

gmburns2000 wrote:

cracklover wrote:
Why would he want to restrict certain access but not others? The landowners are, it seems to me, trying to make a very simple point: "This is not a public park, this is private land, and while we've been nice in the past, we don't want to get walked all over."

I don't disagree with this entirely. Restricting access to some people and not others could be reasonably made with regards to liability. It says that he is willing to allow access that doesn't hurt him, but not access that would hurt him. I think this sends a better message: that he's willing to let people use the land, but not if it could potentially hurt him later on.

Allowing hiking is still throwing a bone to climbers by allowing them easy access to the climbs not on his land.

In other words, he could have used the liability issue productively, but that isn't what he chose to do.

Gmburns2000

Apr 8, 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #42 of 217 (6524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

My point was that the Preserve wants as much land as it can get. Here their interests line up nicely with the GCC. In that partnership, the Preserve gets the support of climbers for their own agenda. How is that not using climbers as pawns?

I'm not arguing that. I don't think the Preserve or the GCC are acting honorably either. But don't lump me in to either category. Essentially, that's what the land owners are doing. I'm a member of the Preserve only because I enjoy climbing there. I wouldn't be otherwise. And just because the GCC does work on behalf of climbers, that doesn't mean I agree with them or support them.

I treat that land with respect. I appreciate the access. I don't want it shut down. I'd rather work with the land owner than not. The land owners have put me in a position that says they are not willing to work with me.

In reply to:
And if your philosophy is that everyone should look after only their own narrowest self interest, I think your philosophy is short-sighted at best.

GO

I never said should. I said that it is how we act. There is a big difference.

Adk

Apr 9, 2009, 1:32 AM
Post #43 of 217 (6469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nilcarborundum] Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nilcarborundum wrote:
Adk wrote:
AMERICAN GREED!!!

Really? REALLY? Unless your next post is going to offer a fair market price for the land so you can give it away, I think this qualifies as the most assinine thing I have ever read on RC.com.

Really? Really? Crazy What you think and what you know are surely two different things.Wink
Oh, It is all about $$Pirate

(This post was edited by Adk on Apr 9, 2009, 1:34 AM)

jsh

Apr 9, 2009, 2:05 AM
Post #44 of 217 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kent, I am tired beyond belief of your histrionics. I know from years and years of hearing about this from you, that you *cannot* engage in calm, logical, objective discourse. Therefore, I will refrain from trying, but I will leave you with one question. It is the singular question I asked at the last go-round of this issue on gunks.com, and you persistently evaded actually answering it:

What, specifically, do you want from us as climbers?

(This post was edited by jsh on Apr 9, 2009, 2:08 AM)

CapedCrusader

Apr 9, 2009, 2:39 AM
Post #45 of 217 (6440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsh] Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To those who think it's all about money, I suspect you don't want to contribute any of yours.

And Julie, I should have recognized you were jsh. Still wanna bet that rack? :) Sorry to read you're tired beyond belief of my histrionics as you say. Can you imagine how we feel? We have to live with the zoning law every day. You only read about it, and then by choice.

In reply to:

Where land is closed we want you to respect the closure. What about that is so hard for you to comprehend?

Adk

Apr 9, 2009, 3:29 AM
Post #46 of 217 (6419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Where land is closed we want you to respect the closure. What about that is so hard for you to comprehend?
Kent, you have made it clear and it was never hard for me to comprehend it at all. It's not very hard to stay away. There is other climbing in the area. Thanks for your heads-up on the closure.

marc801

Apr 9, 2009, 4:49 AM
Post #47 of 217 (6397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CapedCrusader wrote:
In reply to:

Kent, this is the same circular bull shit you've been spouting on gunks.com for a couple of years. Let's try it again: what, specifically, do you want from us as climbers to lift the closure?

Partner rgold

Apr 9, 2009, 5:18 AM
Post #48 of 217 (6394 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand Kent's interest in getting as wide a readership as possible, but carrying on three parallel discussions about what is surely about as local an issue as it is possible to have is nuts.

Take it over to gunks.com, which is surely the appropriate venue for this particular discussion, whatever gdc's perceived faults may be in general.

cush

Apr 9, 2009, 3:10 PM
Post #49 of 217 (6312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i didn't understand 90% of what was said in this thread. can someone more well read/well spoken than I PLEASE summarize this thread so i can understand it. basically all i know now is that half of the nears is closed. someone elaborate. and use small words, i'm dumb.

Gmburns2000

Apr 9, 2009, 3:34 PM
Post #50 of 217 (6302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cush] Gunks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cush wrote:
i didn't understand 90% of what was said in this thread. can someone more well read/well spoken than I PLEASE summarize this thread so i can understand it. basically all i know now is that half of the nears is closed. someone elaborate. and use small words, i'm dumb.

- GCC, Mohonk Preserve, Town of Gardiner apparently are using using hardball tactics to screw land owners out of property value $

- Landowners got pissed and closed part of the Nears to climbing and hiking

- Climbers who are caught in the middle (i.e. - neither support nor oppose either side) are pissed because they feel the relationship was working between them and landowners

- Some people think closing the climbs was the only option

- Other people think the actions are draconian

- Some people think this is all about money

- Other people think this is building relationships and working toward solutions

Does that work?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook