Forums: Community: Campground:
Sorry, but we will be closing this facility at the end of the school year...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

edge

Apr 14, 2009, 12:58 AM
Post #1 of 28 (1432 views)
Shortcut

Sorry, but we will be closing this facility at the end of the school year...
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyhow, that was the gist of the memo my colleagues and I got this afternoon. I have been teaching at the same Alternative Education Middle & High School for 3 full years now.

I always thought that as long as people kept having developmentally, emotionally, and behaviorally challenged kids then our little alt-ed school was recession-proof, but the budget knife cuts deep.

Everyone from the sending school districts to the state Board of Ed gave us high rankings, however the non-profit Board of Directors (and can't we really chase the country's problems back to almost all BOD's?) thought it best to disband the most successful team our school has ever had and cut loose 36 students back into their communities with no prior notice.

I feel really badly for the teachers who had arrived in the last year and relocated for the position; they appeared devastated. As for me, I have the deepest work experiences to draw from, so I am kinda looking forward to the time off. In fact, the day after the school closes my wife and I and both kids will be flying out to Alaska, and I seriously won't give my situation another thought until I get back.

Doubtful, but with any luck our house, which we just put on the market, will sell during the Summer and then Karol will give her job the hasta la vista and we will take our new windfall and take a leisurely drive westward to Colorado in search of a new home.

For every seat, there is an ass, and I am a major ass looking forward to my next big cushion.

jakedatc

Apr 14, 2009, 1:08 AM
Post #2 of 28 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Sorry, but we will be closing this facility at the end of the school year... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, make the best of what you're given and go with it.

let me know when you're back from AK so we can do some bolt clipping.

charley

Apr 14, 2009, 1:10 AM
Post #3 of 28 (1414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Sorry, but we will be closing this facility at the end of the school year... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looseing the job sucks. Sometimes the most helpful programs are the ones that are closed. Have fun in Alaska and moving to colorado.

edge

Apr 14, 2009, 1:13 AM
Post #4 of 28 (1412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Sorry, but we will be closing this facility at the end of the school year... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
Hey, make the best of what you're given and go with it.

let me know when you're back from AK so we can do some bolt clipping.

Despite everything, I have next week off (paid) for school vacation. I was thinking of driving down to RI, taking Meg out for dinner with Dad, getting a hotel room, and then hitting up Lincoln Woods.

Are you available mid-week for a day at LW?

Weather depending, I will probably spend the weekend re-roofing my workshop for two days.

After that then sure, I will bolt clip with you.

jakedatc

Apr 14, 2009, 1:19 AM
Post #5 of 28 (1406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya.. just not 24-25.. i have a per diem job covering a bball tournament. Other than that i'm just doing demolition stuff at my dad's new project house so it's pretty flexible. i don't go.. he doesn't pay me for that day :)

so if ya let me know which day over the weekend or something then i can be free.

edge

Apr 14, 2009, 1:21 AM
Post #6 of 28 (1404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Sorry, but we will be closing this facility at the end of the school year... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

charley wrote:
Looseing the job sucks. Sometimes the most helpful programs are the ones that are closed. Have fun in Alaska and moving to colorado.

I used to think that, but in the last week I have personally tracked well over 135 "F-bombs," 57 "Property Destructions," and countless "Harassment."

These kids refuse to help themselves, for the most part, but in the last three years I have seen six graduates make something of themselves that neither their home districts or their parents ever thought possible. Those are the successes that I will walk away most proud of, and those on the same track are the kids I will most worry about after our closing.

It truly is sad.

Partner happiegrrrl

Apr 14, 2009, 1:31 AM
Post #7 of 28 (1392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It really is very sad to lose programs that make efforts to help. It does seem that one person really CAN make a difference, and though you may be aware of those 6 or so, the chances are good that down the road your efforts will have been the defining moment that makes the difference for several more.

You just will likely never get to know that, and in a way, that's the beauty of it. But I can guarantee you that, as a troubled kid, even ONE instance of a teacher acknowledging your existence, making an effort, the slightest praise....it does count.

Good luck with your path forward, too.

reno

Apr 14, 2009, 3:46 AM
Post #8 of 28 (1362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edge:

Sorry to hear about the school closing. Tis always sad when opportunities are lost to kids that need them.

If you need help finding work in Colorado, I'll do what I can. PM or e-mail me, and maybe I can offer some suggestions.

Chin up, old chap. Things happen for a reason.

Partner wideguy

Apr 14, 2009, 4:04 AM
Post #9 of 28 (1355 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Sorry, but we will be closing this facility at the end of the school year... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear the news Edge. Best wishes for the rest of your plans though .

edge

Apr 14, 2009, 11:07 AM
Post #10 of 28 (1338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wideguy] Sorry, but we will be closing this facility at the end of the school year... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like I said, I am too old for this crap, and am sure I can find a job in countless fields, not excluding male gigolo.

I mean if Rob Schneider can pull it off, then why can't I????

There have to be at least a dozen wimmin across the country that would pony up $10 for the opportunity...

charley

Apr 14, 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #11 of 28 (1323 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Old my ass. Age has little to do with it. Humans do not like change especially if unplanned.
As for the male gigilo thing..... wait til I show my wife the tube top pic and get her opinion on that.Laugh
I'm sure with your experience and attitude things will work out and you will have an adventure getting there.Enjoy it. Life is too short for anything else.

krillen

Apr 14, 2009, 1:51 PM
Post #12 of 28 (1314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Sorry, but we will be closing this facility at the end of the school year... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Crappy deal Edge, but it's great that you are seeing this as an opportunity and not a setback.

Gmburns2000

Apr 14, 2009, 2:09 PM
Post #13 of 28 (1300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So is it out of the question to actually congratulate you?

It sounds as if you're seeing this as an opportunity. As someone who is hopefully in a soon-to-be similar situation, I raise my glass to your future adventures. Cool

Partner wideguy

Apr 14, 2009, 2:10 PM
Post #14 of 28 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
... and am sure I can find a job in countless fields...

Absolutely.... and if all else fails, you can always keep busy taking hopeless perpetual n00bs on unpaid guided climbing trips,... say in Conway, on slabs or something ....Cool

Partner macherry

Apr 14, 2009, 2:29 PM
Post #15 of 28 (1295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Like I said, I am too old for this crap, and am sure I can find a job in countless fields, not excluding male gigolo.

There have to be at least a dozen wimmin across the country that would pony up $10 for the opportunity...

i've got ten bucks

reno

Apr 14, 2009, 2:34 PM
Post #16 of 28 (1293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Sorry, but we will be closing this facility at the end of the school year... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:

i've got ten bucks
Wrong country. Wink

edge

Apr 14, 2009, 2:45 PM
Post #17 of 28 (1287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Sorry, but we will be closing this facility at the end of the school year... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
edge wrote:

i've got ten bucks

For you, gratis.

reno wrote:
macherry wrote:

i've got ten bucks

Wrong country. Wink
For you, ewww!

reno

Apr 14, 2009, 2:49 PM
Post #18 of 28 (1281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:

For you, ewww!

Boy, talk about the wrong time to f-up the HTML tags.

Blush

(This post was edited by reno on Apr 14, 2009, 2:50 PM)

Partner macherry

Apr 14, 2009, 3:06 PM
Post #19 of 28 (1274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
edge wrote:

For you, ewww!

Boy, talk about the wrong time to f-up the HTML tags.

Blush

heh!!!

fenix83

Apr 14, 2009, 5:51 PM
Post #20 of 28 (1250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear about the closing edge, but that is a great attitude to have about it. Good luck man!

-F

shorty

Apr 15, 2009, 5:04 PM
Post #21 of 28 (1197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
For every seat, there is an ass, and I am a major ass looking forward to my next big cushion.
Bravo -- I'm going to steal this line. Somewhere, somehow, it will be a winner.

Sorry to hear about your facility's closing. But join the club -- my employer recently shut down our factory, resulting in over 300 jobs lost to a Mexico plant.

And yes, unemployment pretty much sucks. Searching for a new job is a full time job, which means I still don't have all that much time for climbing, skiing, golf, sleeping in, etc.

Keep the chin up, and a positive attitude. Best wishes on your career transition.

shockabuku

Apr 16, 2009, 3:58 AM
Post #22 of 28 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a house to be for sale in Colorado available in ~June 2010. Crazy

edge

Apr 16, 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #23 of 28 (1168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Sorry, but we will be closing this facility at the end of the school year... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
I have a house to be for sale in Colorado available in ~June 2010. Crazy

Where??? and $$$

kyote321

Apr 16, 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #24 of 28 (1162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you end up in new mexico, i know the alt. and BIP school scene well here

edge

Apr 16, 2009, 2:15 PM
Post #25 of 28 (1151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyote321] Sorry, but we will be closing this facility at the end of the school year... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny, but now that I have had 3 full days to process this, I get a call last night from the CEO, telling me that I have a job for life. Of course the relocation would mean a 1 hour commute as compared to 37 minutes, so I told him I would "think about it."

I am not really sure about this at all.

Dayum.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook