Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
Solo aid: steel biners on anchor powerpoint?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

herbertpowell

Apr 18, 2009, 3:19 PM
Post #1 of 40 (9525 views)
Shortcut

Solo aid: steel biners on anchor powerpoint?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm finally gearing up to try solo aiding. After reading just about everything I can on here about solo aid, and seeing the threads about the biner failing on the grigri, I started wondering about the powerpoints of anchors.

There is a potential to cross-load the powerpoint biner during a fall, which could generate enough force to break it. Is anyone using steel biners for the powerpoint or do you double up Al biners? Other solutions?

Partner xtrmecat

Apr 18, 2009, 4:50 PM
Post #2 of 40 (9508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [herbertpowell] Solo aid: steel biners on anchor powerpoint? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can if you wish. I use two lockers. Opposite and opposed. Simple. redundant, and solid, even if one comes unscrewed(locked).
Bob

Partner mr8615

Apr 18, 2009, 5:32 PM
Post #3 of 40 (9503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtrmecat] Solo aid: steel biners on anchor powerpoint? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^ That's what I do too. I do use a steel biner on my grigri though.

scottydo

Apr 21, 2009, 8:19 AM
Post #4 of 40 (9385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're solo aiding then you should probably be setting your anchor for an upward pull (with a directional piece). If you do that properly then you shouldn't have to worry about your anchor biners crossloading.

altelis

Apr 21, 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #5 of 40 (9360 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottydo] Solo aid: steel biners on anchor powerpoint? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scottydo wrote:
If you're solo aiding then you should probably be setting your anchor for an upward pull (with a directional piece). If you do that properly then you shouldn't have to worry about your anchor biners crossloading.

how do you figure? gravity must work diferently for you than for me.....even if you have the ANCHOR tensioned with a directional piece so that the soft-goods aspect won't shift in the event of a fall, and even with keeping up with your rebelays, there will constantly be changes in the amount of tension in the lead line. This will range from relatively tight to slack. When things are tight you are good, but during the times of slack the anchor biner attaching the lead rope WILL succumb to gravity. No way around that- no matter how well you set your directional, etc....because the only thing keeping the anchor biner oriented for the upward pull direction is the lead line itself

moose_droppings

Apr 21, 2009, 2:09 PM
Post #6 of 40 (9324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Solo aid: steel biners on anchor powerpoint? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
scottydo wrote:

how do you figure? gravity must work diferently for you than for me.....even if you have the ANCHOR tensioned with a directional piece so that the soft-goods aspect won't shift in the event of a fall, and even with keeping up with your rebelays, there will constantly be changes in the amount of tension in the lead line. This will range from relatively tight to slack. When things are tight you are good, but during the times of slack the anchor biner attaching the lead rope WILL succumb to gravity. No way around that- no matter how well you set your directional, etc....because the only thing keeping the anchor biner oriented for the upward pull direction is the lead line itself

My tie in to the anchor is with an 8 on a bight to a biner that is taught between a multidirectional anchor. There is no room for slack on that biner, there is on occasion slack on the lead line but this does not effect the biner held tight between the opposed pieces in my anchor, so there is no worry about crossloading.

To the OP, yes my biner at the anchor is steel. When I'm lead soloing or aid soloing I'm usually miles from anyone and prefer the extra bit of safety. You can use two, but I prefer the one of steel.

altelis

Apr 21, 2009, 2:32 PM
Post #7 of 40 (9311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Solo aid: steel biners on anchor powerpoint? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
altelis wrote:
scottydo wrote:

My tie in to the anchor is with an 8 on a bight to a biner that is taught between a multidirectional anchor. There is no room for slack on that biner, there is on occasion slack on the lead line but this does not effect the biner held tight between the opposed pieces in my anchor, so there is no worry about crossloading.

To the OP, yes my biner at the anchor is steel. When I'm lead soloing or aid soloing I'm usually miles from anyone and prefer the extra bit of safety. You can use two, but I prefer the one of steel.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I'm just having a really hard time figuring out what your anchor looks like.

If its like this: [inline attachment_anchor1.gif]

Then doesn't this mean when you take a lead fall the directional would take all the force, right? 'Cause thats the only piece keeping the biner, and therefore the lead line, from moving upward...(biner is green, lead line is blue....)

How do you prevent this? When I aid-solo I create a multi-directional anchor and make sure to use rebelays....
Attachments: anchor1.gif (2.42 KB)

pmyche

Apr 21, 2009, 3:02 PM
Post #8 of 40 (9296 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by pmyche [In reply to]
Report this Post

altelis

Apr 21, 2009, 3:31 PM
Post #9 of 40 (9273 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmyche] Solo aid: steel biners on anchor powerpoint? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to admit to have as of yet not done any aid-soloing over 2 pitches, and certainly not with a haul bag.

I find that the rope still creeps through my grigri even though its NOT modified. Maybe its just my particular rope (though it is a 10.2....)

I used a suggestion from here where I rebelay with a VERY skinny ~2 mil cord that will certainly brake in the event of a fall, theoretically maintaining the full dynamic properties of ALL the rope out...and I also don't rebelay so that the rope is super tight to the anchor. there is still definitely a bit of slack left in the rope below the rebelay...

boymeetsrock

Apr 21, 2009, 3:33 PM
Post #10 of 40 (9273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pmyche,

The anchor in your picture is set up for a downward pull. Are you assuming that the haul bag is going to make the catch in the event of a leader fall?

Not to be inflammatory, but this seems crazy to me. Is this accepted practice? Am I missing a key feature to the anchor?

Very curious as I am moving into the solo-aid arena slowly but surely.

altelis

Apr 21, 2009, 3:39 PM
Post #11 of 40 (9269 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Solo aid: steel biners on anchor powerpoint? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boymeetsrock wrote:
pmyche,

The anchor in your picture is set up for a downward pull. Are you assuming that the haul bag is going to make the catch in the event of a leader fall?

Not to be inflammatory, but this seems crazy to me. Is this accepted practice? Am I missing a key feature to the anchor?

Very curious as I am moving into the solo-aid arena slowly but surely.

The idea is that the pieces in the anchor are multi-directional, so that they can take an upward pull. However the haul-bags essentially work as a counterweight- the give a "soft catch", however the anchor could still be pulled up and the pieces in the anchor would/could hold a pull from that direction. Others on here would have to comment on actual things happening in actual practice, as this knowledge (so far) is theoretical for me....

pmyche

Apr 21, 2009, 3:51 PM
Post #12 of 40 (9264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

patmay81

Apr 21, 2009, 4:21 PM
Post #13 of 40 (9243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

2 aluminum oval lockers for the power point, a mod D steel locker for my gri gri. I could use three lockers for the power point and it would still be lighter than another steel locker. Since I have to haul all the gear myself I like to pack as light as possible for solo trips.

boymeetsrock

Apr 21, 2009, 4:58 PM
Post #14 of 40 (9226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pmyche wrote:
BMR, The anchor is set for any pull (multi-directional). The haul bag only softens the catch. Yes, there is a foot or two of play there which allows the bag to do its job. (Thanks again, altelis.)

Thanks pmyche and altelis for explaining.

moose_droppings

Apr 21, 2009, 5:04 PM
Post #15 of 40 (9223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
altelis wrote:
scottydo wrote:

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I'm just having a really hard time figuring out what your anchor looks like.

If its like this:

Then doesn't this mean when you take a lead fall the directional would take all the force, right? 'Cause thats the only piece keeping the biner, and therefore the lead line, from moving upward...(biner is green, lead line is blue....)

How do you prevent this? When I aid-solo I create a multi-directional anchor and make sure to use rebelays....

To clarify first, I've never done enough pitches to warrant a haul bag so I don't utilize a counter weight. All my aiding is done here in the Back Hills since I started aiding.

My anchor on the fist pitch is either a big tree with opposition piece to hold it in place, or three pieces rig for an upward pull with an opposition. All the force of the fall is for an upward pull. My next anchor mid route is three pieces for an upward pull and three pieces for a downward pull in opposition to each other. This anchor needs to be solid for a rap down cleaning and jug/top rope back up. It also needs to be able to hold a fall from above on the next pitch. Both anchors are pulling against each other, I don't want the power point to move up or down allowing one side or the other to become loose enough to have pieces come out from either side. I'll take a pic of my next mid route anchor next time and post it.

Thiis is kinda nice having internet access here at the doc's office to kill the wait, its even high speed. Think I'll go check out some of the TR's with all the pics in them.

altelis

Apr 21, 2009, 5:09 PM
Post #16 of 40 (9216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Solo aid: steel biners on anchor powerpoint? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh soo, grahshoppa.

So when you said "directional piece" what you REALLY meant is directional ANCHOR! Wink

That makes WAY more sense! I too have yet to use haulbags, but I have always been able to set multi-directional pieces for my mid-route anchors, meaning they can take a down-ward and upward pull....

pmyche

Apr 21, 2009, 6:25 PM
Post #17 of 40 (9188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

patmay81

Apr 21, 2009, 7:10 PM
Post #18 of 40 (9171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no, at the end of the pitch

altelis

Apr 21, 2009, 8:28 PM
Post #19 of 40 (9155 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pmyche wrote:
When you guys write mid-route do you mean mid-pitch?

Aside from keeping the rope from sliding back through a belay device, what are the reasons to re-belay?

I can only speak for myself (though I do feel like I'm walking into a trap, given my level of experience versus your, pmyche....)

By "mid-route anchor" I was referring to the end of each pitch. Namely, the last anchor of the climb doesn't require taking a lead fall....and the first anchor doesn't require taking an "down-ward" load like all the rest of the anchors do....right?

And so far, the only reason i have used a rebelay has been to prevent rope slippage through my *unmodified* grigri- and like I said I use a SUPER skinny ~2 mil line for my rebelay so that it would/will snap in the event of a fall.....kinda like the rubber-band solution....

What are you getting at, if you don't mind me just coming out and ask?Tongue

pmyche

Apr 21, 2009, 8:48 PM
Post #20 of 40 (9143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

ptlong

Apr 21, 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #21 of 40 (9120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that's it, Mike. It's because there's no reason to rebelay when using a Solo Aid unless you want to get some of the rope weight off of your harness.

Nice information in this thread, by the way. Thanks!

moose_droppings

Apr 22, 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #22 of 40 (9098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
So when you said "directional piece" what you REALLY meant is directional ANCHOR! Wink

I guess what I said was "opposed pieces in my anchor".

And yes, what I meant was a muti directional anchor, meaning it can take falls in different directions. But I see were on the same page now.

Sorry for the slow response, but had to go to town mid morning, now I'm back.

scottydo

Apr 22, 2009, 6:21 AM
Post #23 of 40 (9052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
altelis wrote:
scottydo wrote:

If its like this:

You're right that the carabiner in the power point of my anchor is only being held up by the tension in the lead line. One way to keep that biner oriented correctly is with a long prussik attached from a piece that you place up the route to the lead line. (keep it long so that if you do fall and the rope is tensioned the prussik doesn't get sucked through the biner with the lead rope) This will still let the anchor take the force of a fall but when you are climbing it will keep that section of the rope just tight enough to keep your power point biner oriented up.

PTPP wrote some stuff about this. He suggested it more for keeping your rope from moving/rubbing over edges that could cut it as well as what I mentioned.

(This post was edited by scottydo on Apr 22, 2009, 6:44 AM)

boymeetsrock

Apr 23, 2009, 4:15 PM
Post #24 of 40 (8988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr8615] Solo aid: steel biners on anchor powerpoint? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mr8615 wrote:
snip I do use a steel biner on my grigri though.

I am about to buy a silent partner. I am wondering if 1 steal 'biner (to attach the SP to my harness) is essentially equal to 2 regular 'biners, in terms of redundancy?

Is it safe to think of a steal 'biner in the same way we view the rope; redundant in and of itself?

patmay81

Apr 23, 2009, 5:04 PM
Post #25 of 40 (8779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Solo aid: steel biners on anchor powerpoint? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boymeetsrock wrote:
mr8615 wrote:
snip I do use a steel biner on my grigri though.

I am about to buy a silent partner. I am wondering if 1 steal 'biner (to attach the SP to my harness) is essentially equal to 2 regular 'biners, in terms of redundancy?

Is it safe to think of a steal 'biner in the same way we view the rope; redundant in and of itself?
in theory 2 aluminum biners are better than one steel, the point being that friction against rock, rope and body can cause the lockers to unlock and potentially (1 in one thousand, hundred thousand, million odds???) come unclipped. The strength is not so much an issue as you can get aluminum biners rated up to 28 kn axial strength.
The reason I use a steel w/ my grigri is to prevent any cross loading issues in which an aluminum biner would only hold around 10 kn, where as my steel holds 24+ cross loaded.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook