RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Fa310tx

Apr 19, 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #1 of 5 (887 views)
Shortcut

Route Taping Etiquette
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello...
What are the guidelines for taping a route and/or problem? My understanding is that a V is considered the start/finish, but I've seen sometimes where there's a secondary tape with the V (\V) or a box around the hold. Also, do you just tape hand holds or do you mark foot holds, too?
Generally, any info on the "appropriate" way to tape is good. I haven't really seen much about this. I guess some of it may just be up to the individual, but I wanted to get a good starting point.
JJ

Partner angry

Apr 19, 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #2 of 5 (880 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Fa310tx] Route Taping Etiquette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MikeSaint

Apr 19, 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #3 of 5 (870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fa310tx wrote:
Hello...
What are the guidelines for taping a route and/or problem? My understanding is that a V is considered the start/finish, but I've seen sometimes where there's a secondary tape with the V (\V) or a box around the hold. Also, do you just tape hand holds or do you mark foot holds, too?
Generally, any info on the "appropriate" way to tape is good. I haven't really seen much about this. I guess some of it may just be up to the individual, but I wanted to get a good starting point.
JJ

Its common that gyms will put an upside down 'V' at the starting holds and finish hold(s). Tape all feet that correspond with the route or problem being constructed. This is kind of important if you're trying to force specific types of movement.

Hendu3p

Apr 19, 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #4 of 5 (866 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Route Taping Etiquette [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as the start and finish are clearly communicated, anything works. I usually use triangles because they are well defined, you use less tape and you can complete them under a hold so that they won't fall off. Anything works as long as you can clearly see a start and finish.

As far as foot holds, any hold can be used for a hand or foot if it has tape on it. That's one of the challenges of a routesetter. Features are always considered on unless there is something that tells you specifically that they are off.

d0nk3yk0n9

Apr 19, 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #5 of 5 (859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fa310tx wrote:
Hello...
JJ

It depends on the situation. The gyms I climb at use V's for starting and finishing hands and single pieces of tape for other holds. Foot holds are usually marked as well. If you aren't going to mark foot holds, write "OPEN FEET" in large, visible letters on the starting tape to avoid people assuming that it's tracking, meaning they can only use previously used hands as feet. In other gyms, I've seen boxed start and finish holds. In onsight format competitions, the most common taping is a boxed start and finish, with black tape marking areas in which flagging and smearing are allowed, but not use of naturals or holds, and red tape marking areas that are out entirely. This clearly only works for onsight format because with other formats, the routes and problems are too close together and holds must be identified more clearly.

Edit: It's also nice to sign your routes and problems and put the date that you put them up on the starting tape, as climbers appreciate that info. Naming the problems is nice too, as it gives them some additional flavor, but can get old fast if you aren't creative with it. Finally, any other information they should know should be on the starting tape. This means things like "Use a pad out left." or "Make sure someone spots you on the top-out." for things that are potentially dangerous.

(This post was edited by d0nk3yk0n9 on Apr 19, 2009, 10:54 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook