Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Trad at coopers
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

hell8o

Apr 3, 2009, 4:23 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2799 views)
Shortcut

Trad at coopers  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Bouldering: Morgantown_Region: Coopers_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does any one know were there is good trad at coopers? What area has the best quality/highest concentration of trad.I have a guide book for boulder but it doesn't talk about trad on there. I trad climb anything between a 5.5-5.8.
Thanks!
Matt

suilenroc

Apr 3, 2009, 4:48 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hell8o] Trad at coopers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the Routes section on this website. I believe it lists some climbs at the Sunset Wall.

charley

Apr 3, 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] Trad at coopers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been checking some of my old stuff. I have some stuff from gritstone climbs that has 121 routes listed and swome old stuff of Adam Polanski's. I did not find many references to stuff leadable. Sooooo let's see, most would be by sunset. The arch, organic matter(the big 5.3/5.4 crack by titanium digit), riverside face 5.4 (on the river side of big block left of the white rock), access crack 5.2 ( the access to the big block), and zig zag wanderer are protectable. At one time some thought sunset overhang was protectable. That is the first 5.8 overhang. Top rope it and see what you think. There are two 5.9's that might go by riverside face, too. There're a couple smaller blocks downhill from ships prow that have some cracks that may be leadable. That should keep you going for awhile.

joeforte

Apr 8, 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Trad at coopers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a really nice handcrack out past the big blocks on the river side of a block that looks mediocre from a distance. I know that sounds vague, but thats the only way I can describe it. I don't know the names of many things there, but I've done a fair amount of climbing and exploring.

williamjbauer

Apr 20, 2009, 6:43 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget Roof Rocks, turn right after you enter the gate, follow that all the way until right before the turn around and you'll see a gravel parking spot on the left side. There are a few sport routes and a few nice trad leads.

WVUCLMBR

Apr 21, 2009, 6:49 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd toprope zig-zag wanderer before you lead it. It is a rather stout 5.8 with a nasty ledge for you to deck on. There isn't much trad @ Coopers......

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook