RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

minnesotatrad

Nov 25, 2002, 12:59 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1358 views)
Shortcut

Ice climbing in Minnesota
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am wondering were the best top rope ice climbing is in Minnesota.
Keith

brianthew

Nov 25, 2002, 1:03 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1358 views)
Shortcut

Ice climbing in Minnesota [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a place in St. Paul called the Brickyards, it's in Lillyvale Park. Offers several climbs about 10-30 feet in length, all very mild and moderate.

That's the only place I know of TR ice, but then again I haven't been up here very long. There are a few other places like Sandstone Quarry and a whole bunch of stuff up north. Go to http://www.climbingcentral.com for a more complete listing.

[ This Message was edited by: brianthew on 2002-11-24 17:03 ]

twiz

Nov 25, 2002, 4:32 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Keith,
Brian is right about the brickyards. Its all pretty short, but a great place to learn, work on technique, get a pump, boulder, etc....AND its sooooo close to home (for me anyway). If you need more info on directions send me a pm and I will give 'em to you.

The Minnesota Climbing Association has also started some ice farming on the st croix river in Stillwater. I dont believe any of it is 'toprope-able'. But it shouldnt be hard to find someone to give you a ride on any given weekend.

You can also Toprope at Sandstone.

The Manitou River has some neat stuff on the N.Shore, as well as cascade is typically pretty beefy.

You will find some shorter lines along the Devils Track (on the N.Shore), but as far as I know you will need someone to initially lead them.

Last but not least, if you are into bouldering on ice you can dig around along the Lake Street bridge and the parkway. None of this is really 'legal'. Just keep a low profile and be able to talk yourself out of the situation if an officer appears.

www.climbingcentral.com is a great resource (as brian said). Also MN Climbers Association (I think their site is www.mnclimbing.org - or a google search should help you find it).

Good luck, and let me know if you need any specific directions.

duskerhu

Nov 25, 2002, 5:22 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Links to all those sites on the Minnesota page...

Also, talk to this guy... He's a big "Ice Head"
http://www.rockclimbing.com/users/list.php?UserID=rockhugger
He may be willing to take you out cuz he's always asking us, and we don't even want to go ice climbing... wuttup Jeff???

duskerhu

indiesummit

Dec 1, 2002, 7:55 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I put some stuff in the MN section of Routes on where to go in the Duluth area...If yer lucky, Casket Quarry will come in...watch it there, wear a helmet to protect against those flying headstones.

Dude, Sandstone is SOOOO KILLER! I was there last year and we totally honeycombed several routes...and there's an absolutely killer traverse there as well.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook