Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

kennoyce

Apr 30, 2009, 5:19 PM
Post #151 of 191 (7553 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I don't feel like reading 7 pages of responses, but here's what I do just in case you're interested.

I don't use daisy's for anything but aiding. While I know that they can be fine under most situations (99.9999999% of the time probably), I don't want to be that one freak accident where somehow I end up shock loading a body weight only daisy chain.

I also don't like having things girth hitched to my belay loop, it just feels cluttered to me this way.

I haven't purchased a PAS because I don't think that they are all that useful in most situations, and I'd rather spend the cash on other gear.

For trad climbing I anchor directly with the rope because this is the least cluttered, and the strongest method. For sport climbing I just use two tripled slings, I extend them, clip one on each bolt, and clip them both into my belay loop. I have never found this to take any extra time as opposed to having them pre-girthed to my belay loop, and then they are only there while at the anchor.

kylekienitz

Apr 30, 2009, 5:37 PM
Post #152 of 191 (7543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kylekienitz] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to ask this again because I'm still wondering...

So what about anchors that are built from a static sling? If a PAS (or other static tether) can't take a factor 2 fall, then what's to say that the piece of sling that the tether is clipped to won't fail also... or first for that matter?

??

pmyche

Apr 30, 2009, 5:57 PM
Post #153 of 191 (7533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As I understand it the PAS issue is with the webbing-on-webbing connections which do not exist in a typical belay anchor.

kylekienitz

Apr 30, 2009, 6:10 PM
Post #154 of 191 (7518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmyche] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pmyche wrote:
As I understand it the PAS issue is with the webbing-on-webbing connections which do not exist in a typical belay anchor.

My question does drift a bit from the topic at hand. Yet it was brought up earlier that the use of static tethers is undesirable because they cannot withstand factor 2 falls

rgold wrote:

d. Spectra PAS---breaks in factor-2 fall.

The one thing I think one shouldn't do with tethers is to use them as a load-bearing attachment to the anchor for the belayer. If a load is going to come on the belayer, that load ought to be transmitted to the anchor by a dynamic rope connection, not by a static sling, which could result in considerably higher anchor loads. Putting aside the never-ending arguments about worst-case scenarios and what loads are or are not realistic, what sense does it make to use a high-impact connection when a perfectly good lower-impact connection is readily available?

Partner rgold

Apr 30, 2009, 6:14 PM
Post #155 of 191 (7509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kylekienitz wrote:
So what about anchors that are built from a static sling? If a PAS (or other static tether) can't take a factor 2 fall, then what's to say that the piece of sling that the tether is clipped to won't fail also... or first for that matter?

The difference has to to with what part of the system is absorbing fall energy. In the case of static slings on an anchor, a factor two fall is absorbed by rope stretch and the maximum load is then transmitted to the sling, which can easily take it. In the case of a factor-2 fall on a PAS, the PAS has to absorb the fall energy, which is more than spectra can do in the factor 2 situation.

bill413

Apr 30, 2009, 6:31 PM
Post #156 of 191 (7503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pmyche wrote:
The maker of the PAS did research on the webbing-to-webbing loop. I do not believe that it is the "internal" construction of the PAS that is the issue - rather the shock absorbtion of the system and how the PAS is attached at the ends.

kylekienitz

Apr 30, 2009, 6:32 PM
Post #157 of 191 (7503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
kylekienitz wrote:

The difference has to to with what part of the system is absorbing fall energy. In the case of static slings on an anchor, a factor two fall is absorbed by rope stretch and the maximum load is then transmitted to the sling, which can easily take it. In the case of a factor-2 fall on a PAS, the PAS has to absorb the fall energy, which is more than spectra can do in the factor 2 situation.

So in a factor-2 fall situation where a climber is tethered with a PAS directly to an anchor built with a spectra sling, aren't both the sling and PAS subjected to the same force?

kylekienitz

Apr 30, 2009, 6:36 PM
Post #158 of 191 (7500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
pmyche wrote:
The maker of the PAS did research on the webbing-to-webbing loop. I do not believe that it is the "internal" construction of the PAS that is the issue - rather the shock absorbtion of the system and how the PAS is attached at the ends.

Ok, I see. I wasn't privy to the fact that the PAS failed because of webbing to webbing contact, which is pretty much exactly what pmyche said -- I just read it differently.

Thanks.

Partner cracklover

Apr 30, 2009, 6:55 PM
Post #159 of 191 (7489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kylekienitz wrote:
rgold wrote:
kylekienitz wrote:

So in a factor-2 fall situation where a climber is tethered with a PAS directly to an anchor built with a spectra sling, aren't both the sling and PAS subjected to the same force?

1 - The energy is generated by the falling climber.
2 - Given that energy, the peak force will be determined by the characteristics of the material the falling climber uses to connect to the anchor. A rope will transmit a lower impact to the anchor than spectra material.
3 - Yes, the anchor will see that same force. Will the anchor be able to hold it? That's the key question.

In principle, if you made the anchor out of force-absorbing material, yes, it could help. But even if it was made out of rope, it would probably do very little.

For example, if you could rig an anchor such that you had each leg of a three-strand anchor made of only one strand of rope, (no loops) those strands would only be able to absorb (stretch) an average of one third the amount per length of rope as the rope attaching to the climber. And if you change those individual anchor strands to loops, you're down to only one sixth the ability to absorb force.

Expecting the anchor itself to absorb force is just not a good idea. The anchor's job is simply to transmit that force as efficiently as possible (hopefully distributing the force more or less equally) to the rock.

GO

Partner cracklover

Apr 30, 2009, 6:58 PM
Post #160 of 191 (7487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kylekienitz wrote:
Ok, I see. I wasn't privy to the fact that the PAS failed because of webbing to webbing contact, <snip>

You were right. That's not the issue. The issue is that a factor 2 fall on the PAS (or any other static material) generates very high peak forces.

GO

kylekienitz

Apr 30, 2009, 7:18 PM
Post #161 of 191 (7486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So basically, set up the system so that the most amount of force is absorbed before getting to the anchor, and in practice spectra slings are still legit to use to build an anchor.

Obviously avoided factor 2 situations is a must, but using a primary tether that can absorb fall force helps to reduce the ultimate force on the anchor is a good (or necessary) practice.

pmyche

Apr 30, 2009, 7:23 PM
Post #162 of 191 (7478 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by pmyche [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  

Partner cracklover

Apr 30, 2009, 7:27 PM
Post #163 of 191 (7471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kylekienitz wrote:
So basically, set up the system so that the most amount of force is absorbed before getting to the anchor, and in practice spectra slings are still legit to use to build an anchor.

Obviously avoided factor 2 situations is a must, but using a primary tether that can absorb fall force helps to reduce the ultimate force on the anchor is a good (or necessary) practice.

Exactly.

GO

Partner cracklover

Apr 30, 2009, 7:28 PM
Post #164 of 191 (7468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pmyche wrote:
For what it may add to the discussion: Daisies do get fallen on regularly without breaking. It happens in aid climbing, and not in rare instances. I would guess past instances number in the hundreds for Spectra and Dyneema; typically a 3-4 foot fall onto a single piece with no runner or draw. I'm trying to recall any account of such a daisy having failed in that situation, and I can't think of one. Not to refute what has been stated regarding the behavior of Spectra, etc. above.

You're kidding, right?

I've seen a girl - pretty light, take a short daisy fall and rip two pockets.

GO

roy_hinkley_jr

Apr 30, 2009, 7:33 PM
Post #165 of 191 (7462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have tried the PAS and now gone back to using a spectra daisy. It's more compact and racks cleaner when not in use than PAS or nylon daisy. In the unlikely scenario of a FF2 fall, it acts as a force limiter since each pocket blows at around 3-4 kN which reduces the impact before hitting the 22kN breaking strength.

Girth hitching to the belay loop is the only thing that makes sense. Just inspect and re-locate periodically.

tradrenn

Apr 30, 2009, 8:12 PM
Post #166 of 191 (7430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [welle] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

welle wrote:
tradrenn wrote:
D.C. is just another useless thing to carry up the climb that gets tangled between gear.

I think you would be better of learning "clove hitch - one handed"

http://www.climerware.com/clove.shtml

Save your money.

HTH

it's good except for situations when your rope is weighted or kinked pretty bad. I had a similar situation that rgold describes, so I had to clip in with a sling girth-hitched from my belay loop, unweight the rope, put a piece in closer to the problem area, clip in with a clove hitch and get out the pickle... In retrospect, it would've helped very much if I had a sling already girth-hitched to my belay loop.

rgold wrote:

3. Sometimes, a nut or cam gets stuck and the second has to hang in order to free both hands for the removal process. With today's super-long leads and stretchy ropes, it can be an exercise in frustration and futility to try to have the leader hold the second in place. In many cases, it is better for the second to place some recently-cleaned gear and hang from it. Having an adjustable tether ready to go makes this process a lot more efficient.

I think it depends on your personal choice, in my case I would just clip a draw, foot or two long to a gear that I'm about to hang from and clip other end of the draw to my harness.

Two reasons why I don't like D.C. ( even hate the thing )

#1. Friend of mine had it between his legs, G.H. to his belay loop and clipped other end to his chalk bag, when he try to use it he couldn't because part of it got tangled somewhere and he was stack until I told him to use one of the draws that he clean from gear while seconding me on that particular pitch. In the end it worked out that it was easier for him to use draws.

#2. One of my partners in B.C. uses D.C. and because I hate the think I asked her if she could leave it in the car and try anchoring "my way" for a day. She said "but I like my D.C." and end up using it for a day. Later on I was seconding her and I'm about 10-15 feet from the anchor and what do I see ? She is clipped to one bolt via D.C. which was shortened in the wrong way, just like they show in BD. video and is belaying me up of off the harness. If I fell while seconding her...........................
You can probably imagine what would happen. The irony in this story is that we had a perfectly equalized equalette hanging there of two bolt anchor with two biners to tie in and she didn't use it, which we had a very long conversation about once we finished that route.

I think you people shouldn't use daisy just so you don't make a mistake like my partner did.

HTH.

welle

Apr 30, 2009, 8:47 PM
Post #167 of 191 (7401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't own a DC - always thought it was an aid-climbing gear. I don't have any pre-manufactured PAS, like someone else said I'd rather spend my money on something else. This set up seems pretty simple and uses a nylon sling (see Rappeling part): http://petzl.com/files/all/en/activities/sport/tech-tips-multi-pitch-climbing.pdf

skinner

May 1, 2009, 12:41 AM
Post #168 of 191 (7366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't feel like reading all 7 pages of this either, but I don't think the issue of falling on a daisy is about the daisy breaking, rather shock loading the anchor.

IRATA did a bunch of testing on pre-sewn slings specifically for attaching a climber to the anchor, as well as knotted/sewn, and just knotted cow tails using dynamic rope and determined that a fall of less than one meter on static sling can create a shock load above 15 kN. They went on to conclude that Cow's Tails made from dynamic rope and knots at both
ends achieve the best results for dynamic shock absorption, and now recommend them as the preferred method for personal anchor systems.

This all makes perfect sense to me, so my daisys (yes I own a few) mostly get used for hanging and sorting gear on at the bivi/portaledge now, they're actually great for that.

flamer

May 1, 2009, 2:47 AM
Post #169 of 191 (7351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
e. Sterling Chain Reactor (or other NYLON equivalent). In my opinion, the best choice. If the chain reactor wasn't available, I suppose one might argue that a factor-2 daisy fall is unlikely. But given two more-or-less identical systems, one of which breaks in certain climbing scenarios and one of which doesn't, I can't see any argument for using the breakable one.

This deserve's to be mentioned again.

josh

tradrenn

May 1, 2009, 8:54 AM
Post #170 of 191 (7328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinner] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skinner wrote:
I don't feel like reading all 7 pages of this either, but I don't think the issue of falling on a daisy is about the daisy breaking, rather shock loading the anchor.

IRATA did a bunch of testing on pre-sewn slings specifically for attaching a climber to the anchor, as well as knotted/sewn, and just knotted cow tails using dynamic rope and determined that a fall of less than one meter on static sling can create a shock load above 15 kN. They went on to conclude that Cow's Tails made from dynamic rope and knots at both ends achieve the best results for dynamic shock absorption, and now recommend them as the preferred method for personal anchor systems.

Would you have a link for it ?
(Always an interesting read for me.)

(This post was edited by tradrenn on May 1, 2009, 9:11 AM)

tradrenn

May 1, 2009, 9:26 AM
Post #171 of 191 (7322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

welle wrote:
I don't own a DC - always thought it was an aid-climbing gear. I don't have any pre-manufactured PAS, like someone else said I'd rather spend my money on something else. This set up seems pretty simple and uses a nylon sling (see Rappeling part)

That's good and don't buy one, you can live/climb without it. Buy yourself one of those cool/light DMM locking notchless biners, you'll be better of.

Clicky

In Squamish we got lots of routes with bolted anchor so I came up with the idea of "mini-equallete" it's pretty much the same as equallete, but mine is made of 7 feet of 7mm static nylon cord, which in the end becomes my rappelling sling and I don't have to G.H. anything to my belay loop, I simply use a locking biner, which doesn't happen often as most routes around here end with the "walk off".

tigerlilly

May 1, 2009, 7:27 PM
Post #172 of 191 (7247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
Both ways , rope vs PAS, have their advantages and disadvantages.
Try both ways and make up your own mind.

Instead of a daisy use a PAS.
I use a PAS and when climbing I pass it between my legs and clip it to the rear loop.

http://www.rei.com/product/722384

I do the same with the PAS. Tying in with the rope is quick and fine until you need to set the rope for a rappel. I use one or the other as the situation dictates.

For a few less dollars than the PAS, you can get a Sterling Chain Reactor, which is basically the same thing made of nylon instead of Dynema or whatever the PAS is made out of.

Kathy

majid_sabet

May 1, 2009, 8:12 PM
Post #173 of 191 (7230 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There only two type of daisy that are the safest in event of a belayer fall on anchor;

The old school daisy made of 1 inch webbing and the purcell prusik. That is it. All others may fail .The adjustable daisy with jaws of death are among the worse right next to skinny spectra type.

altelis

May 1, 2009, 8:24 PM
Post #174 of 191 (7225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
There only two type of daisy that are the safest in event of a belayer fall on anchor;

The old school daisy made of 1 inch webbing and the purcell prusik. That is it. All others may fail .The adjustable daisy with jaws of death are among the worse right next to skinny spectra type.

I can nitpick here 'cause you didn't say I couldn't Wink

Isn't the purcell pruik NOT a daisy chain? Just like a PAS, chain reactor, etc., aren't daisy chains?

vegastradguy

May 3, 2009, 5:21 PM
Post #175 of 191 (7444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Daisy chain or no Daisy chain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

as noted before in this thread and elsewhere, the Sterling Chain Reactor has also been proven to withstand a belayer fall onto the anchor due to its nylon construction.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook