RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

john1987

Nov 25, 2002, 9:20 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1000 views)
Shortcut

Ice Gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay I finally convinced my dad to let me ice climb I will be doing only waterfall climbing no mixed routes ect. Is there anyway that I can get away with safely spending no more then seven hundred dollars on all of my gear? I don't have any ice climbing gear at all so is this possible or not? Thanks.
John
EDIT: Chaged the title

[ This Message was edited by: john1987 on 2002-11-25 13:58 ]

pbjosh

Nov 25, 2002, 9:52 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1000 views)
Shortcut

Ice Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You need boots, crampons, tools, some screws and I would highly recommend some screamers. I assume you already have some warm clothing, ski gloves and a rope that you can make do with.

Get leather full-shank climbing boots. $100-$300 depending on where you get them and how hard you look. If you know what size you can order boots from Europe for cheap but I'd suggest trying them on first. If you can afford it, but the boots where you try them on 'cause otherwise you're being somewhat of a dick for trying on boots then mail ordering from elsewhere. For stuff you don't need to try on I say order from whoever is cheapest.

Cheap but perfectly fine ice tools - get used Shrikes or Pulsars for as low as $75 each or new tools from Europe for $125 each or so.

Crampons - $100 from Europe or some cheapo's on sale, $50. No need for anything fancy, just steel 12 pt. crampons.

Screws - With the introduction of the Turbo Express screws your can get Express screws from Gearexpress.com or REI/REI-outlet for ~$40 each, I'd take advantage of this deal. Get 3-4 17cm screws, a 13cm screw and a 22cm screw. This will get you up moderate pitches of moderate length. You said you're beginnging so you'll probably be TR'ing for a bit then leading EASY ice, 'cause only a moron pushes their limit on ice as a beginner.

So, say you spend $200 on good boots for sale or from Europe, $200 on tools, $50 on cheap steel crampons, and get 6 screws at $40 each you should be good at ~$700... buy 2-6 screamers as well at ~$10 each.

josh

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook