RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

jamjon

Mar 24, 2009, 4:59 PM
Post #1 of 15 (6335 views)
Shortcut

need your help - want to photograph bouldering culture around the world
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Heya,

There is a photo contest out there that I want to win - and if I win it I'm hoping to photograph boulderers and more specifically bouldering culture in Asia and the US/Europe. The contest is "name your dream assignment." If I can get enough votes for my idea I'll be in the running.

So, if you can check it out and "pic" my idea I would be much obliged. You can check out some of my recent photography on my site, but the link to the contest is:
http://www.nameyourdreamassignment.com/...bing-to-a-new-place/

my site is http://www.photographyRI.com

thanks,
James

(this is my first post here so if I messed it up somehow, apologies ahead of time)

cush

Mar 25, 2009, 2:36 PM
Post #2 of 15 (6254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamjon] need your help - want to photograph bouldering culture around the world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it seems to me like if you want to photograph bouldering "culture" you could get away with photographing away from the boulders just as easy as you could take shots of people actually bouldering. you could have tons of shots of people actually climbing but i couldn't see all of them actually displaying bouldering "culture." for that i would say a lot of that would happen back at camp. be it people messing around on a slackline, or even just sitting around a campfire after a day of climbing i fell that that's where the actual community/culture aspect of it lies.

jamjon

Mar 25, 2009, 2:52 PM
Post #3 of 15 (6245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cush] need your help - want to photograph bouldering culture around the world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree. There is a tendency when photographing any kind of "sport" to focus on the action and not turn around and see the audience. My interest is in seeing the people and their lifestyle. So, a great deal would be off the boulder entirely. I would love to see the people at the camps - what they eat, what they talk about, how they travel. I know that Japan and the US would have very different styles. I am sure the Europeans would bring something new as well.

So my idea isn't "let's take the coolest climbing photos ever." I want to capture the climbers and the boulders as they are today. I'm sure it's going to evolve over time and it seems to be gaining in popularity quickly.

Of course I want to get great bouldering shots too, but that is to punctuate the point on what bouldering is for people and how they approach it.

thanks for the comment

justroberto

Mar 25, 2009, 5:28 PM
Post #4 of 15 (6208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamjon] need your help - want to photograph bouldering culture around the world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jamjon wrote:
I want to capture the...boulders as they are today.
This will be a good study. Do these pad people sleep shirtless while wearing a beanie? Do they lounge around consuming nothing but cliff bars and red bull all day? Do 8 male pad people follow around 1 female pad person trying to give her advice on every problem she encounters throughout her day?

Inquiring minds want to know.

jamjon

Mar 25, 2009, 5:44 PM
Post #5 of 15 (6201 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] need your help - want to photograph bouldering culture around the world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hah! Fair enough. You don't have to dig the idea. Perhaps I'm one of the few who likes looking at old images of life of lifestyles. But, I'm a photographer who is fascinated by the climbing world, so this is what intrigues me.

justroberto

Mar 25, 2009, 9:09 PM
Post #6 of 15 (6172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just joking around. It sounds like a pretty fun idea. Good luck with the contest.

yokese

Mar 25, 2009, 9:54 PM
Post #7 of 15 (6144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey James,
I checked out your website. Your photos are fantastic. Kudos. I created an account and pic'd your assignment. I think you have the technical and artistic skills to develop a very interesting project.
Good luck

jamjon

Mar 29, 2009, 4:23 AM
Post #8 of 15 (6041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yokese] need your help - want to photograph bouldering culture around the world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey yokese - Thanks very much! I'm still plugging the idea, even though the odds seem long. I know it is a bit of a pain to have to register (but you can use a secondary email address).

apeman_e

May 5, 2009, 6:07 PM
Post #9 of 15 (5762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is bouldering culture?

JasonsDrivingForce

May 5, 2009, 7:30 PM
Post #10 of 15 (5737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [apeman_e] need your help - want to photograph bouldering culture around the world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

apeman_e wrote:

Simple, This is Bouldering Culture in the south! Nothing like a wall in the back yard. You have to look out for the bugs and the deer but it is free so you can't complain.

(This post was edited by JasonsDrivingForce on May 5, 2009, 7:40 PM)
Attachments: Family Pic.jpg (121 KB)

JasonsDrivingForce

May 5, 2009, 7:38 PM
Post #11 of 15 (5724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] need your help - want to photograph bouldering culture around the world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are a couple more pics.

(This post was edited by JasonsDrivingForce on May 5, 2009, 7:39 PM)
Attachments: Reach.jpg (56.3 KB)

JasonsDrivingForce

May 5, 2009, 7:39 PM
Post #12 of 15 (5717 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] need your help - want to photograph bouldering culture around the world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Last One

(This post was edited by JasonsDrivingForce on May 5, 2009, 7:40 PM)
Attachments: Building the wall.jpg (105 KB)

yanqui

May 6, 2009, 1:59 PM
Post #13 of 15 (5681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [apeman_e] need your help - want to photograph bouldering culture around the world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

apeman_e wrote:

"Culture" is a word that can be traced back to the Latin "cultura" which stems from the verb "colere", a verb that means "to cultivate".

According to the Mirriam-Webster Dictionary the word "culture" can mean:

-- the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes a group;

-- the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a group;

-- characteristic features of everyday existence shared by people in a place or time;

Thus, in order for "bouldering culture" to exist there must be an integrated group of practicioners with some shared set of traits. Employing the wonderful language proposed by Dingus Milktoast, what we look for to find "bouldering culture" is a tribe: a tribe of people who boulder.

I can assure you, that far away, in the secluded boulder fields of Argentina, such tribes do exist.

(This post was edited by yanqui on May 6, 2009, 2:08 PM)

apeman_e

May 6, 2009, 6:17 PM
Post #14 of 15 (5626 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yanqui] need your help - want to photograph bouldering culture around the world [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh thanks for the definitions.

I thought the OP meant culture as in bacterial growth, kinda like the cultures we used to grow in biology lab class in a petri dish.

yanqui

May 7, 2009, 5:50 PM
Post #15 of 15 (5577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

apeman_e wrote:
Oh thanks for the definitions.

I thought the OP meant culture as in bacterial growth, kinda like the cultures we used to grow in biology lab class in a petri dish.

Ha ... Egon Spengler's dream assignment: traveling the world to photograph Erythrasma in boulderers.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook