RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

rock_fencer

May 4, 2009, 4:49 AM
Post #1 of 24 (3871 views)
Shortcut

Stove Choice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking at upgrading my MSR WindPro to a liquid gas stove. Im gathering quite the collection of empty canisters in my house.

I'm looking at the MSR Simmerlite and the MSR Whisperlite International. Also any other suggestions appreciated.

Uses: Climbing, backpacking, car camping 3 season mostly but my fall season extends well into camping in sub freezing temps

Cooking: mostly boiling water, but cooking real meals is a definate.

Looking for suggestions, pro's/con's and personal opinios on these stoves.

Cheers

T

quiteatingmysteak

May 4, 2009, 5:04 AM
Post #2 of 24 (3867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] Stove Choice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whisperlite is burly, light, tested and tried. Probably one of the most popular white gas (or if you get the international, most-gas) stoves out there. Easy to prime, easy to take care of. Good choice.

granite_grrl

May 4, 2009, 6:37 AM
Post #3 of 24 (3838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quiteatingmysteak] Stove Choice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

quiteatingmysteak wrote:
Whisperlite is burly, light, tested and tried. Probably one of the most popular white gas (or if you get the international, most-gas) stoves out there. Easy to prime, easy to take care of. Good choice.
But can't simmer worth a shit. Not a big deal if you're mostly boiling water though.

I think two stoves is best. Get a dual burner Coleman white gas stove for car camping, and then something like the little MSR stove for back packing or other travel where space/weight is an issure.

Unless international travel is likely I'm not sure why you'd need the international version of a stove.

I have had the fuel pump on two different MSR stoves spring leaks/not pressurize when it starts getting pretty cold (like, quite a bit below freezing, things worked fine once warmed back). I don't know how cold you're talking here, but it's something that could be an issue.

quiteatingmysteak

May 4, 2009, 7:15 AM
Post #4 of 24 (3833 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Stove Choice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
quiteatingmysteak wrote:
But can't simmer worth a shit. Not a big deal if you're mostly boiling water though.

I think two stoves is best. Get a dual burner Coleman white gas stove for car camping, and then something like the little MSR stove for back packing or other travel where space/weight is an issure.

Unless international travel is likely I'm not sure why you'd need the international version of a stove.

I have had the fuel pump on two different MSR stoves spring leaks/not pressurize when it starts getting pretty cold (like, quite a bit below freezing, things worked fine once warmed back). I don't know how cold you're talking here, but it's something that could be an issue.

Man no cook.

Man hold squirrel over fire.

Squirrel good food.

duncanlennon

May 4, 2009, 9:17 AM
Post #5 of 24 (3814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Stove Choice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
But can't simmer worth a shit.

Right. And contrarily, I've found the simmerlite doesn't boil with anything close to the efficiency of the whisperlite. To be honest, my favorite liquid fuel stove has been the dragonfly. It's hot, it roars, and it's good for frying. There are also worthy non-MSR stoves out there; you could save a pretty penny and check those out.

granite_grrl

May 4, 2009, 9:23 AM
Post #6 of 24 (3812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [duncanlennon] Stove Choice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

duncanlennon wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
But can't simmer worth a shit.

Right. And contrarily, I've found the simmerlite doesn't boil with anything close to the efficiency of the whisperlite. To be honest, my favorite liquid fuel stove has been the dragonfly. It's hot, it roars, and it's good for frying. There are also worthy non-MSR stoves out there; you could save a pretty penny and check those out.
Between me and my husband we have a whisperlite and a dragonfly. It's a nice combination.

asiaclimber

May 4, 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #7 of 24 (3804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MSR pumps are crap. They will break. Get a primus multifuel or omnifuel they are superior products that will not break on you when you are 5 days away from civilization. And you can use any kind of fuel you want with them.

clc

May 4, 2009, 4:53 PM
Post #8 of 24 (3756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asiaclimber] Stove Choice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the Whisperlight and the XGK. Both are more than 15 years old. I've use them for 1000's of meals and never had any real troubles with the pump. Maybe the older pumps are better?

Johnny_Fang

May 4, 2009, 5:25 PM
Post #9 of 24 (3737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

No need to spend money on a stove. In the time it takes you to go to the store, you could make one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage-can_stove

I made one about 8 or 10 years ago and it still works great. It takes about 30 minutes to make. No toxic fumes, renewable source of fuel, no bottles to throw away, extremely quiet, no special fuel bottles needed (I store my alcohol in a water bottle with an X on it). No moving parts to break. No small tubes to get clogged. Just pour the fuel and light. Simmering is difficult but possible. Best of all, it is practically free.

steinmethod

May 4, 2009, 7:04 PM
Post #10 of 24 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Johnny_Fang] Stove Choice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a whisperlite for a few years... got sick of not bing able to simmer.... I got the MSR Dragonfly now. Great for all around cooking.... The simmer control is great on this stove! Only negative is that the stove sounds like a jet when on full blast!

rock_fencer

May 4, 2009, 9:56 PM
Post #11 of 24 (3670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They are considerably more expensive. Does the omni fuel simmer well?

As for cold ive camped down to 10 F so basically anythign that works well in that range.

Also what other brands are there besides Primus and MSR

Edit: Can you use a Primus Pump w/ MSR stoves?

Cheers
T

(This post was edited by rock_fencer on May 4, 2009, 10:09 PM)

mach2

May 4, 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #12 of 24 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second granite grrl's provided option because unless space is an issue, a coleman 2 burner is much more user friendly when car camping.
On the subject of MSR pumps, I have only had better luck with the new pumps as opposed to old, and still find my MSR gear likes to run forever. That said, you still have to do maintenance on the stove. Yearly I put a drop of oil down into the pump bore, and in winter I do a check of moving parts to make sure they're in working order. I don't know about the Primus, but I'm sure it requires some maintenance every once in a while, as it also contains moving parts. In short, take care of your stove and it will take care of you.

To add comment to the dragonfly; its features should make it utterly perfect, but its tendency to sound like a bloody rocket going off, is very annoying.

ptlong

May 4, 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #13 of 24 (3634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rock_fencer wrote:
I am looking at upgrading my MSR WindPro to a liquid gas stove.

Turn the canister upsidedown and voila! A liquid fuel stove.

In reply to:
Im gathering quite the collection of empty canisters in my house.

Do you save your empty beer cans too? Recycle them.

In reply to:
I'm looking at the MSR Simmerlite

If you compare your windpro to the simmerlite you'll discover that they're basically the same stoves with different fuel connections and jets. I wouldn't be surprised if you could convert your windpro to a simmerlite with a few parts. Might be worth checking into.

rock_fencer

May 5, 2009, 12:38 AM
Post #14 of 24 (3618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptlong] Stove Choice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i contacted MSR about making the switch to liquid fuel and they said that the fuel mixing line was different and cant be switched between the two stoves. It would be optimal if i could simply find the fuel line for the simmerlite and install it on my windpro.

climbingaggie03

May 5, 2009, 1:22 AM
Post #15 of 24 (3605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rock_fencer wrote:
i contacted MSR about making the switch to liquid fuel and they said that the fuel mixing line was different and cant be switched between the two stoves. It would be optimal if i could simply find the fuel line for the simmerlite and install it on my windpro.

I've done this exact thing, i had a simmerlite for years and loved it but wanted the convenience of canisters so I bought the fuel line, it switches out in about 4 minutes and is a great way to go, it's not a commonly retailed part so talk to your local gear store, they should be able to order it from MSR.

Also for those out there who don't like the whisperlite and other similar stoves because, "they have 2 levels, on or off" I did a 2 month road trip cooking every night on whisperlight, here's how to gain fuel control; first pump the bottle and prime as usual. After the priming flame burns out, MAKE SURE IT'S COMPLETELY OUT disconnect the bottle from the stove and release the pressure from the bottle, then put 1 pump in the bottle, reconnect the stove and relight the stove.

If you depressurize the bottle, you will have much greater flame control and a much smaller flame. I've used this technique for years and taught numerous guides to do the same with great results. it's not a coleman propane stove, but it's a very livable solution

Partner xtrmecat

May 5, 2009, 2:25 AM
Post #16 of 24 (3581 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Stove Choice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What she said above (climbingaggie03) and one other thing. My whisperlight got a rebuild kit in the pump for a simmerlight and it rocks to boil, and it simmers also. Best of both worlds.
If your pump doesn't pump when cold, it is not the pumps fault, get the rebuild kit and read the instructions, they require lube and maintenance from time to time. Not just use it till it doesn't work.
Bob

rock_fencer

May 5, 2009, 2:52 AM
Post #17 of 24 (3563 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtrmecat] Stove Choice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So the wisperlight international is on sale at REI for 65. I am also looking at the Primus omnifuel

Both have had hanging kits made for them so on a wall im set.

Pros for the omnifuel: boils water faster and good simmer control, all metal pump
Cons: Expensive, a few oz. heavier

Pros for wisperlight: tried and true, lighter, cheap
Cons: doesnt simmer well,

If anyone has any info on how to get the fuel line for a simmerlite installed onto a windpro that would be awesome!

rock_fencer

May 5, 2009, 6:21 PM
Post #18 of 24 (3500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

climbingaggie03

May 6, 2009, 5:04 AM
Post #19 of 24 (3461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

swtiching the fuel line is really straight forward.

the fuel line should come with the jet installed, if not you'll want to put the jet in first.

after that, you unscrew the screw on top of the burner and underneath the burner where the legs come together. after you've removed the screws, pull the burner away from the legs and slide the fuel line out from the burner. You'll also have to unclip the fuel line from the leg, just be gentle. slide the new fuel line in, slide the legs back on the burner, clip the fuel line to the leg, reinstall the screws and you're god to go.

rock_fencer

May 6, 2009, 3:58 PM
Post #20 of 24 (3393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Stove Choice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i went to my local store and they called MSR and no go on getting a fuel line... looks like its a new stove for me unless anyone else has a spare simmerlite fuel line

noshift

May 6, 2009, 4:03 PM
Post #21 of 24 (3390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i like the wisper lights personally, also try the dragon fly. my personal favorite though is the trangia the pots and pans all fit in together with the fuel canister (if you get the right one) and you can also stick your utensiles in there as well

ScarpaScarpa

May 8, 2009, 6:56 AM
Post #22 of 24 (3303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [noshift] Stove Choice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing beats a Pocket Rocket.

Nothing.

mikebee

May 8, 2009, 12:16 PM
Post #23 of 24 (3278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
MSR pumps are crap. They will break.

Not sure about that, asiaclimber.

I know probably about a dozen people with MSR liquid fuel stoves, and none of them have had issues. Of course, we all know how to clean and maintain them properly.

Back to the OP, I'd get a Whisperlite International.
I had a few friends who had one of these stoves, so to be different (and because I liked the idea of being able to simmer) I went with a Simmerlite.

Ever since the first time I fired it up, I have been wishing I'd purchased a Whisperlite. They are hotter (ie faster), easier to strip down and clean, easier to preheat, and with practice, simmer just as well as the Simmerlite.
In reality, the only benefit of the Simmerlite is the weight.

The MSR Whisperlite International is the best stove I've used. I can't recommend it highly enough.

acorneau

May 8, 2009, 4:26 PM
Post #24 of 24 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ScarpaScarpa] Stove Choice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ScarpaScarpa wrote:
Nothing beats a Pocket Rocket.

Nothing.

Except when you want to put something larger than a coffee cup on the stove, then a lot of stoves beat the Pocket Rocket.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook