RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

billcoe_

Aug 16, 2007, 2:43 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Trango superfly Malcom Daly Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Malcom:

2 issues:

1st) REI put these on sale and I bought/ordered 3 of them. It seems like it's been @ a month so far and no biners in sight. (ie, Your REI order for the following item has been delayed. TRANGO SUPERFLY SCREWLOCK B 3 7.93 BRIGHT)

I figured this is on your end, just curious, I don't want REI to cancel my order which they will do in 30 days I guess.

2nd) First I love them, and recognize the trade off in size to get weight. BUT, the issue is that the gate springs, for me, seem to wear out abnormally fast, where the effect of that is that the gate stops shutting and just stays open. It's just starting to happen to the 3 I bought earlier, and I am sort of replacing them (I'll use the new ones leading and these 3 for Toproping.)

I just want you to know about this. With most lockers, you keep using them until you loose them, not so these creatures which may be more of a consumable. There may be times I want that to snap closed and not stay in the open position . I had it happen to some Bonaitti D's in the 80's which were, like these, an otherwise kick ass product. In those, the spring steel would wear and the gate wouldn't readily close, they rectified it by using harder steel later.

It's not a big enough effect for ME to not buy more, I like them cause they're so light -that and I'm old and weak:-) but I have deeper pockets (and weaker arms) Laugh than 99 percent of other climbers, and you might see a drop off in sales later.

Have you noticed this effect?

trenchdigger

Aug 16, 2007, 3:01 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Trango superfly Malcom Daly Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got 8 or 10 of the superfly lockers and bought the first batch about 2 years ago. With regular use, I've had no problems with the gates not closing. Could they possibly just need a cleaning/lube job?

moose_droppings

Aug 16, 2007, 3:29 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too have had 3 of these for a while without any gate problems.

(This post was edited by moose_droppings on Aug 16, 2007, 3:44 PM)

maldaly

Aug 16, 2007, 4:02 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Trango superfly Malcom Daly Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Billcoe,
Don't know why REI is having problems. We've shipped them everything they've ordered. RE: gates sticking: try clean and lube w/ a dry bike chain lube like White Lightning or the Metolius Cam lube. What kind of dirt are you throwing them in? Mine get in the local granits sand, eldo dirt and Indian Creek gradu all the time and I've never had problems. A good field fix that I've used is to open the gate half way then push it sideways (both ways) with your thumbs. That'll usually free up any gate.

Mal

tomtom

Aug 16, 2007, 7:34 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The REI mailorder system can be pretty random. I ordered a pair of Petzl-Charlet Vasak crampons ($49.99!) that were listed as on backorder.

After 30 days, I received an email saying that they were no longer available and the order was canceled.

A week later, I received a notice that they were at the local store available for pickup. And they were!

So ... .

billcoe_

Aug 19, 2007, 5:51 AM
Post #6 of 14 (1918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] Trango superfly Malcom Daly Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maldaly wrote:
Hey Billcoe,
Don't know why REI is having problems. We've shipped them everything they've ordered. RE: gates sticking: try clean and lube w/ a dry bike chain lube like White Lightning or the Metolius Cam lube. What kind of dirt are you throwing them in? Mine get in the local granits sand, eldo dirt and Indian Creek gradu all the time and I've never had problems. A good field fix that I've used is to open the gate half way then push it sideways (both ways) with your thumbs. That'll usually free up any gate.

Mal

Hmmm, cleaning and washing em...new concept I gotta try. I realize that a some of the stuff I've been subjecting them too involves rappeling, jugging and shoveling dirt often at the same time. Not kidding about the shovel, I have a short handled roofing shovel I slung the handle on. I've worked it so hard that th ehandle is getting loose and the teeth are finally breaking off.

I cannot explain the REI thing, but you might check to see why mine don't get purchased from you: they still have them on sale and I suspect you are missing out on a huge amount of Krabs you could be shipping.

http://www.rei.com/product/738103

Fact: I should post that on the hot deals thread so you can sell a bunch more and REI will HAVE to buy them cause it will be a hge amount of biners.

ta ta I'm off to the deals thread: thanks for the advice.

billcoe_

Aug 19, 2007, 5:59 AM
Post #7 of 14 (1915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, they are still on "backorder" Malcom. Heres what it looks like to me:

http://www.rei.com/REIOrderItemUpdate

The item you selected is currently on backorder.
Qty Product Name Description
3 Trango SuperFly Screwlock Carabiner REI Item# 7381030019 BRIGHT

If you would like us to send your item(s) as soon as it is available, please click the "Backorder" button.

phile

Aug 20, 2007, 4:03 AM
Post #8 of 14 (1811 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] Trango superfly Malcom Daly Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I ordered 4 screwgate and 3 wiregate "BRIGHT" superflies from REI on 8/6. I later got a 20%-off-coupon apology email saying they couldn't fill the wiregate order, and I haven't heard anything about the rest of the order--the website lists it as "in processing" or whatever the first of the 3 shipping steps is. estimated arrival was 8/24, so they're not overdue, but an order i placed 8/12 is already "in transit."

not complaining, no action necessary, just another REI data point from a trango fan.

Bats

May 11, 2009, 8:54 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this post is old, but does anybody knows why REI stop carrying Trango Products...I love my SuperFly Biners...I was thinking about getting some more, but the guy at REI smile and said we don't carry Trango Products... WHY???

acorneau

May 11, 2009, 9:41 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bats] Trango superfly Malcom Daly Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bats wrote:
... but the guy at REI smile and said we don't carry Trango Products... WHY???

No idea. They did pick up Mad Rock biners, so maybe REI decided they wanted a "budget" line instead of Trango. (Mad Rock's biners are pretty cheap, price-wise.)

meahtots

May 11, 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

big bros

kennoyce

May 11, 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #12 of 14 (1403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They still carry some trango products, Big Bro's at least.

kennoyce

May 11, 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meahtots] Trango superfly Malcom Daly Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you beat me to it.

Bats

May 11, 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #14 of 14 (1370 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Trango superfly Malcom Daly Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I am going to N. Cali...hopefully I will find some in the local climbing shops.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook