RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Gmburns2000

Feb 25, 2009, 6:06 PM
Post #1 of 20 (10337 views)
Shortcut

Dumb Question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For big walls such as El Cap and Half Dome that get a lot of non-climber traffic at the top (tourists, hikers, etc.) what are the dangers of falling objects from above?

I know there's a risk in climbing in general, so I'm not asking about loose blocks being pulled off by climbers. I'm also not talking about how kids kick rocks onto climbers below at the crag.

I'm talking about the tourist at the top of Half Dome who is changing his camera batteries when - oops! - he drops a battery and it rolls over the edge. This actually happens fairly often in Acadia because hikers can access the summit of all the mountains on the island, and they often don't realize climbers are below them (admittingly, it isn't camera batteries but usually rocks). But a big wall seems to be so much more dangerous because the drop is bigger.

Does this happen frequently? Do you prepare in any way for it? Ever had any close calls, injuries, damaged gear as a result?

I imagine the Park Service has signs at the top to warn people, but that wouldn't necessarily stop it from happening.

I'm just curious, that's all.

graniteboy

Feb 25, 2009, 6:35 PM
Post #2 of 20 (10299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Dumb Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well...nothing statistically accurate here, just a single anectdotal pice of evidence.
I've never had tourist garbage dropped on me while on the captain. But on half dome, yes. Hard to tell if it was definitely tourist dropped, but I assumed so....a half eaten can of beans splatted next to my head while sleeping at the base. I don't sleep close to the base anymore before doing a lap on the dome.

marc801

Feb 25, 2009, 6:41 PM
Post #3 of 20 (10294 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
For big walls such as El Cap and Half Dome that get a lot of non-climber traffic at the top (tourists, hikers, etc.) what are the dangers of falling objects from above?
El Cap doesn't get much non-climber traffic at all, and the rounded slabby nature of the top tends to keep the few hikers away from the big drop.

Gmburns2000 wrote:
I imagine the Park Service has signs at the top to warn people...
Nope.

Gmburns2000

Feb 25, 2009, 6:55 PM
Post #4 of 20 (10278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [graniteboy] Dumb Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

graniteboy wrote:
Well...nothing statistically accurate here, just a single anectdotal pice of evidence.
I've never had tourist garbage dropped on me while on the captain. But on half dome, yes. Hard to tell if it was definitely tourist dropped, but I assumed so....a half eaten can of beans splatted next to my head while sleeping at the base. I don't sleep close to the base anymore before doing a lap on the dome.

Sleeping at any base has always been a freaky notion for me, let alone a big wall. But what about when you're sleeping on the wall? Kind of hard to get away then.

Gmburns2000

Feb 25, 2009, 6:57 PM
Post #5 of 20 (10270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Dumb Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
El Cap doesn't get much non-climber traffic at all, and the rounded slabby nature of the top tends to keep the few hikers away from the big drop.

OK.

In reply to:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
I imagine the Park Service has signs at the top to warn people...
Nope.

That's interesting. Acadia, where the "mountains" are considerably smaller than the approach to Half Dome, has signs above where there are climbers below. You'd think with all the people walking up to the top that there'd be signs.

It's interesting to know.

Thanks.

edited for clarity.

(This post was edited by Gmburns2000 on Feb 25, 2009, 6:58 PM)

sspssp

Feb 25, 2009, 7:45 PM
Post #6 of 20 (10236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:

For big walls such as El Cap and Half Dome, that get a lot of climber traffic, the danger of falling objects from the party above you is huge.

Wear a helmet.

There is some danger from tourists on half dome, but that is the lesser of the two.

(This post was edited by sspssp on Feb 25, 2009, 7:49 PM)

sspssp

Feb 25, 2009, 7:47 PM
Post #7 of 20 (10235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Does this happen frequently? Do you prepare in any way for it? Ever had any close calls, injuries, damaged gear as a result?

One thing that surprises me is most climbers that are "cragging" at the base of El Cap (moby dick~sachercracker area, for instance) only wear a helmet (if they wear one at all) while climbing. As if a dropped cam from the party up on Salathe is going to care whether you are just sitting at the base or are "roped up".

(This post was edited by sspssp on Feb 25, 2009, 7:49 PM)

graniteboy

Feb 25, 2009, 8:19 PM
Post #8 of 20 (10203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The place I like to sleep on 1/2 dome regular rt is the top of the 12th. It seems like that nice skinny little ledge is a little protected from falling stuff above to some extent....especially for the guy sleeping on the right.

But yeah, agreed...on most walls that see any kind of climber traffic in the valley, you're way more likely to get whacked from dropped gear than tourist summit garbage. And yes, I think they do have signs up there teling folks not to drop their mickey mouse hats and polaroid cameras and such off on the climbers.

marc801

Feb 25, 2009, 8:20 PM
Post #9 of 20 (10203 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] Dumb Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
For big walls such as El Cap and Half Dome, that get a lot of climber traffic, the danger of falling objects from the party above you is huge.

Wear a helmet.

There is some danger from tourists on half dome, but that is the lesser of the two.
We were nearly hit with: a pulley, a biner, a couple of nuts, and assorted rocks (from P6 bivi ledge) while preping at the base of the Half Dome NWF. My friend had a lost arrow piton land in his lap as he was belaying his partner on the first pitch of the Nose. It left quite a bruise after traveling a thousand feet.

sspssp

Feb 25, 2009, 8:41 PM
Post #10 of 20 (10187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Dumb Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
sspssp wrote:

Wear a helmet.

We were nearly hit with: a pulley, a biner, a couple of nuts, and assorted rocks (from P6 bivi ledge) while preping at the base of the Half Dome NWF.

And were you wearing your helmets during the prep stage?Wink

Gmburns2000

Feb 25, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #11 of 20 (10171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
marc801 wrote:
sspssp wrote:

Wear a helmet.

We were nearly hit with: a pulley, a biner, a couple of nuts, and assorted rocks (from P6 bivi ledge) while preping at the base of the Half Dome NWF.

Yeah, it's good practice to wear helmets at the base of most crags / cliffs. I'm not great about it, but I try to have mine on even at the 'Gunks.

Hearing about gear falling from other parties is kind of scary. I wouldn't want to be on the other end of a piton falling straight down on a windless day. Crazy

marc801

Feb 25, 2009, 8:57 PM
Post #12 of 20 (10169 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
Nope. It was 1980. The helmets available then were hot and heavy. Virtually no one wore them anywhere but in the big alpine mountains.

KurtBurt

Apr 16, 2009, 9:17 PM
Post #13 of 20 (9958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While on angels landing in Zion the trail is so close that its very common the hear the Whoosh of falling items! From Prodigal Sun its not that bad casue the trail isn't directly overhead but while working Ball and Chain for the free ascent we got bombed often and it core shot on of our fixed ropes! Nice surprise to hit that 500ft off the ground. Days of No Future same the trail is directly over head. I really think the park service should post some signs at the top of the routes telling people not to huck stuff off CLIMBERS BELOW! JMO
Kurt "Burt" Arend

lvpyne

Apr 16, 2009, 9:54 PM
Post #14 of 20 (9930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
I wouldn't want to be on the other end of a piton falling straight down on a windless day. Crazy

I dropped a fuzzy sock off of "Crack in the Cosmic Egg" a couple of weeks ago...

ncclimber

Apr 17, 2009, 1:12 AM
Post #15 of 20 (9882 views)
Shortcut

Re: [KurtBurt] Dumb Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The put signs at the top of a climb here in NC where the trail is. They threw the sign off!!!!!!!!!

(This post was edited by ncclimber on Apr 17, 2009, 1:14 AM)

Partner dominic7

Apr 17, 2009, 1:38 AM
Post #16 of 20 (9869 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
graniteboy wrote:

Sleeping at any base has always been a freaky notion for me, let alone a big wall. But what about when you're sleeping on the wall? Kind of hard to get away then.

Last fall on Skull Queen there were acorns or some such shit falling about once every half hour. You would hear them coming down in a humming/whistling sound. It was freaking me out until one hit me and it wasn't so bad and then I fell asleep.

Gmburns2000

Apr 17, 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #17 of 20 (9824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dominic7] Dumb Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dominic7 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
graniteboy wrote:

Last fall on Skull Queen there were acorns or some such shit falling about once every half hour. You would hear them coming down in a humming/whistling sound. It was freaking me out until one hit me and it wasn't so bad and then I fell asleep.

Laugh Yeah, acorns always sound scarier than they really are, even when they're falling ten feet from the tree above.

dancefax

Apr 17, 2009, 3:26 PM
Post #18 of 20 (9778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was dosing on our portaledge on the nose when I heard the ripping, screaming jet like sound of a large falling object followed by a large bang close by, soaked in adrenalin I was now fully awake when the same thing happened again, you guessed it, it was those looney base jumpers!

wallrat

May 13, 2009, 6:34 AM
Post #19 of 20 (9578 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dancefax] Dumb Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL, that happened to me at base of El Cap. Bout crapped my pants. It sounded like the biggest rock on Earth coming right for my bivi.

lambone

May 14, 2009, 9:13 PM
Post #20 of 20 (9488 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wallrat] Dumb Question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Friend of mine was nearly crushed by a guy commiting suicide off the Visor on Half Dome.

They bailed.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook