Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bill413

May 18, 2009, 5:33 PM
Post #26 of 38 (2025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ford4x4] difference between nuts and hexes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ford4x4 wrote:
hm lets see the diffrence between hexes and nuts... nuts go clink clink when you climb and hexes go BONG and can be heard from a mile away
So you're saying hexes are better in a rescue situation?
And ninjas need to use nuts.

alleyehave

May 18, 2009, 5:47 PM
Post #27 of 38 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockandlice] difference between nuts and hexes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockandlice wrote:
alleyehave wrote:
I found it weird that nobody mentioned that hexes work in parallel cracks, while nuts do not.

Perhaps you have a filter that eliminates the first two replies to every thread? Crazy

Let me live in this bubble I call Nate's World and don't interrupt!

dingus

May 18, 2009, 6:13 PM
Post #28 of 38 (2011 views)
Shortcut

Re: [just_learning] difference between nuts and hexes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

just_learning wrote:
Is there an advantage to using a nut vs. a hex if they're the same size?

Yes. Properly set nuts are far less likely to pop out of a placement due to rope drag etc.

Nuts are easier to place... easier to wiggle into and out of cracks and to move them around to the best place within the crack.

Nutcraft in general is easier than hexcraft.

The fact that a hex will fit in some places that a nut will not is not relevant to your question.

DMT

dingus

May 18, 2009, 6:17 PM
Post #29 of 38 (2007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fresh] difference between nuts and hexes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fresh wrote:
recently I've started to use hexes for belay anchors, which lets me save the cams for the lead. right now I bring two hexes on multipitch, but I'm kind of experimenting. maybe they'll end up at the bottom of the gear box.

Think about the top force one of those lead cams is likely to endure...

now think about the top force a belay anchor piece might endure....

Makes sense? To save your crappiest least adaptable pieces for the most critical placements of any given pitch?

You decide. But standing there at the end of a pitch (or hanging there?) with two hexes in hand, looking for that once golden opportunity to place them sounds like an exercise in stress and sub-optimal anchor systems.

Better put a Purfectolette on that!

DMT

bill413

May 18, 2009, 6:22 PM
Post #30 of 38 (2001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] difference between nuts and hexes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
fresh wrote:
recently I've started to use hexes for belay anchors, which lets me save the cams for the lead. right now I bring two hexes on multipitch, but I'm kind of experimenting. maybe they'll end up at the bottom of the gear box.

Makes sense? To save your crappiest least adaptable pieces for the most critical placements of any given pitch?

You decide. But standing there at the end of a pitch (or hanging there?) with two hexes in hand, looking for that once golden opportunity to place them sounds like an exercise in stress and sub-optimal anchor systems.

Well, I can see the utility of hexes for the belay - generally you have a very good place to stand, so you can afford to fiddle with them. On the climb itself, you may not be willing to hang out & get the hexes set just right.

A purfectolette? Who makes that? I want one.

(This post was edited by bill413 on May 18, 2009, 6:58 PM)

Partner cracklover

May 18, 2009, 6:42 PM
Post #31 of 38 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just_learning wrote:
So when checking out some protection i noticed there was quite a bit of overlap when it came to the sizes of nuts and hexes, but as far as I'd been told their used for relatively the same purpose. Is there an advantage to using a nut vs. a hex if they're the same size?

Yeah, the difference is that even though they're the same size, they fit in differently shaped cracks. Because nuts have a much smaller taper, they set much better. This is especially true of the smaller sizes (less surface area). This is why I don't even bother carrying the smaller hexes - IMO nuts are pretty much always better in that size.

GO

rockandlice

May 18, 2009, 7:32 PM
Post #32 of 38 (1983 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alleyehave] difference between nuts and hexes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alleyehave wrote:
rockandlice wrote:
alleyehave wrote:
I found it weird that nobody mentioned that hexes work in parallel cracks, while nuts do not.

Perhaps you have a filter that eliminates the first two replies to every thread? Crazy

Let me live in this bubble I call Nate's World and don't interrupt!

Honestly, being stuck in Nate's World is probably far better than rotting ones brain with much of the content on here. I'd say your head is in the right place my friend. Wink

Partner j_ung

May 18, 2009, 7:45 PM
Post #33 of 38 (1974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andersjr] difference between nuts and hexes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andersjr wrote:
hexes can act as a passive camming device, nuts are just a chock. I would go with nuts in those sizes though. you don't want to sound like a heard of cows walking up to your climb.

Fixed that for ya.

roy_hinkley_jr

May 18, 2009, 8:50 PM
Post #34 of 38 (1962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just_learning wrote:
So when checking out some protection i noticed there was quite a bit of overlap when it came to the sizes of nuts and hexes, but as far as I'd been told their used for relatively the same purpose. Is there an advantage to using a nut vs. a hex if they're the same size?

Trick question: Since hexes and nuts are the same thing, there is no difference. Historically, the first "manufactured" passive pro was derived from hexagonal nuts with the threads drilled out.

Now if the OP meant what is the difference between hexes/nuts and wedges/tapers/stoppers, then it's situational and a matter of preference.

ford4x4

May 18, 2009, 9:40 PM
Post #35 of 38 (1953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] difference between nuts and hexes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
ford4x4 wrote:
hm lets see the diffrence between hexes and nuts... nuts go clink clink when you climb and hexes go BONG and can be heard from a mile away
So you're saying hexes are better in a rescue situation?
And ninjas need to use nuts.
ninjas cant use nuts they need cams, quieter Wink And pirates use hexes, the noise helps with the intimidation factore, or they will have everyone laughing to hard to argue back Laugh

(This post was edited by ford4x4 on May 18, 2009, 9:42 PM)

andersjr

May 19, 2009, 12:51 PM
Post #36 of 38 (1921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] difference between nuts and hexes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
andersjr wrote:
hexes can act as a passive camming device, nuts are just a chock. I would go with nuts in those sizes though. you don't want to sound like a heard of cows walking up to your climb.

Fixed that for ya.

NO. They can act as an active camming device because they push out on the wall when fallen on. They aren't an active camming device, I know that. This is a beginners forum, I felt this would be easier for a begginer to understand.

(This post was edited by andersjr on May 19, 2009, 1:13 PM)

dingus

May 19, 2009, 1:10 PM
Post #37 of 38 (1914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andersjr] difference between nuts and hexes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Their owners can act as passive aggressive, um... cams. Just dis their favorite nut and brace yourself for a few years of it haha.

'but you're tough... you can take it....'

Haha!

DMT

fresh

May 19, 2009, 1:24 PM
Post #38 of 38 (1902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] difference between nuts and hexes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
fresh wrote:

Think about the top force one of those lead cams is likely to endure...

now think about the top force a belay anchor piece might endure....

DMT
well like I said I'm just experimenting. the #8 and #9 BD hexes seem to fit in a lot of places, and I'd much rather use them at belays instead of the #1 and #2 camalots. but if the hexes are anything less than bomber, in the camalots go.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook