RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Escalada en Espanol

Premier Sponsor:

lumineferusother

May 26, 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #1 of 9 (6195 views)
Shortcut

Juegos de levas?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

¡Hola! Can anyone tell me what Juegos de levas translates into?

squierbypetzl

May 26, 2009, 5:47 AM
Post #2 of 9 (6189 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lumineferusother] Juegos de levas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lumineferusother wrote:

Levas = camming devices

So "juego de levas" would be "rack of cams", edit: "set of cams" actually.

(This post was edited by squierbypetzl on May 26, 2009, 5:47 AM)

yokese

May 30, 2009, 8:44 AM
Post #3 of 9 (6148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] Juegos de levas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
lumineferusother wrote:

Levas = camming devices

Actually no.
Leva could be translated as "cam", but it would apply just to the lobes of the camming device, not the device itself. No one uses "levas" nor "juego de levas" meaning cam or set of cams. In fact, leva could be defined as an object that pivots around an off-centered fix axis.
It would depend on the context, but juego de levas probably refers to the move of the cams around the axis of the camming device.
If you paste the original text, I'd gladly translate it more accurately.

(This post was edited by yokese on May 30, 2009, 8:53 AM)

squierbypetzl

May 30, 2009, 7:52 PM
Post #4 of 9 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yokese] Juegos de levas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yokese wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:
lumineferusother wrote:

Levas = camming devices

Actually no.
Leva could be translated as "cam", but it would apply just to the lobes of the camming device, not the device itself. No one uses "levas" nor "juego de levas" meaning cam or set of cams. In fact, leva could be defined as an object that pivots around an off-centered fix axis.
It would depend on the context, but juego de levas probably refers to the move of the cams around the axis of the camming device.

Actually yes.
People do use "levas" as a term referencing self expanding camming devices. "Juego de levas" could indeed refer to the movement of the cams around the axis of the device, but I can pretty much guarantee you that any layperson using the term "juego de levas" in reference to rockclimbing is refering to a set of cams.

edit: by use of my modly powers I see you´ve been to Spain (though your profile says nothing about your background), so I´ll give you the benefit of a doubt that your interpretation of the term could be valid in other parts of the world.

(This post was edited by squierbypetzl on May 30, 2009, 7:58 PM)

yokese

May 30, 2009, 9:45 PM
Post #5 of 9 (6121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] Juegos de levas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
yokese wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:
lumineferusother wrote:

Levas = camming devices

Actually no.

Actually yes.
People do use "levas" as a term referencing self expanding camming devices. "Juego de levas" could indeed refer to the movement of the cams around the axis of the device, but I can pretty much guarantee you that any layperson using the term "juego de levas" in reference to rockclimbing is refering to a set of cams.

edit: by use of my modly powers I see you´ve been to Spain (though your profile says nothing about your background), so I´ll give you the benefit of a doubt that your interpretation of the term could be valid in other parts of the world.

I'm Spanish, born and raised. I've lived in Spain for 30 years. Climbed there for 10. Never, ever, I've heard anyone say "juego de levas" meaning "set of cams".... perhaps you did. Please, tell me where you have heard "levas" to mean one SLCD, not the individual cam-lobes.

edit: Now I see that you're in Mexico. Apparently then, we're discussing different uses of the word levas in Spain and Mexico, so I stand corrected. My apologies. I was referring to the use of that word in Spain, but I admit that I have no idea about the use of "juegos de levas" in Mexico. In Spain, SLCD are popularly known as "friends" regardles whether they are from WC or not. Lately people are starting to specify Camalots, when they refer to the SLCD from BD. We both know that the use of the language in these two countries is quite different - to the point of having awkward confusions when traveling around Mexico (think about the meaning of "fag" here and in Britain, you anglophones).
To the OP: Apparently, "juegos de levas" is yet one more difference. Use the term in Mexico. Don't use in Spain if you don't want to get a blank stare from your climbing partner.

(This post was edited by yokese on May 31, 2009, 10:49 PM)

lumineferusother

Jun 9, 2009, 5:42 PM
Post #6 of 9 (6031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perfect. Thanks for the response guys!

davidbr

Jun 16, 2009, 10:30 AM
Post #7 of 9 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yokese - interesting discussion.

I have come across, in at least one guidebook in Spain, the expression 'juego de empotradores', in reference to a set of stoppers. So, is the proper expression for a set of cams 'juego de friendes'?

Another note: In English, too, the word 'cam' technically refers to an individual lobe, but as climbers we have adopted it to refer to the whole tool. Could 'leva', in this sense, have cropped up as a direct translation? I don't think the op mentioned where the expression was oriiginally encountered.

(This post was edited by davidbr on Jun 16, 2009, 10:32 AM)

yokese

Jun 16, 2009, 5:31 PM
Post #8 of 9 (5961 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidbr] Juegos de levas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey David,
In "serious" literature, the authors probably prefer the Spanish term "empotrador mecánico" o "empotrador de levas", although as I said before, the most common term is friend. I'm not sure whether there is a "proper" way to pluralize a foreign word in Spanish. However, I think the accepted expression is to use the plural form of the original language. So, most people would say: juego de friends.
In fact, have a look at the gear and techniques page from Desnivel.

I've seen in some Blogs, however, the plural form as "frienes", without the 'd', which makes me cringe.

Edited to answer your second question:

The term "levas" might have originated from the direct translation of cams, although it might be just a shortening of the proper term "empotrador mecánico de levas". I believe squierbypetzl is - or has been - in Mexico (according to his profile), so he probably meant that the term is used, at least, in Mexico, and probably in other Spanish-speaking countries of Central and South America.

(This post was edited by yokese on Jun 16, 2009, 5:41 PM)

squierbypetzl

Jun 16, 2009, 7:46 PM
Post #9 of 9 (5952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The term "levas" might have originated from the direct translation of cams, although it might be just a shortening of the proper term "empotrador mecánico de levas". I believe squierbypetzl is - or has been - in Mexico (according to his profile), so he probably meant that the term is used, at least, in Mexico, and probably in other Spanish-speaking countries of Central and South America.

Indeed. I can´t speak for other latinamerican countries, but most mexican climbers I´ve encountered understand what is meant by "juego de levas" or "juego de friends", independently of whether or not they are actually brandname friends.

"Empotrador mecánico" is a SLCD as yokese said, and "empotrador" usually means passive pro.

Forums : International : Escalada en Espanol

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook