Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

fishbelly

Jun 2, 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #76 of 174 (3663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

parachute

bill413

Jun 2, 2009, 1:09 PM
Post #77 of 174 (3651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fishbelly] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fishbelly wrote:
parachute
Brilliant!

Set up a haul system, haul up a length of cord. tie off the hanging climber. cut the rope above the tie off. pull out the core strands & weave a parachute with them. Attach to harness (with a locking biner) and jump.

mikebee

Jun 2, 2009, 1:19 PM
Post #78 of 174 (3650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Suppose you have arrived, either from above or below, having prussiked, cinched, or biner-twisted your way there. Now you are dangling, either above or below an unconscious rappeller who is being held in position by a locked harness friction knot.

My best answer would be:
Get to above the patient/victim. If you're down prussiking, then you're already there, if you've had to ascend, then you can frig your way past the victims attachments and get safely attached through your prussik to the rope, above the victim. Use a NZ Prussik knot here for ease of release once weighted with both victim and rescuer.

From here, you've got one of two scenarios:
(1) the victim used a leg prussik which is now locking the belay device off (the easier to deal with, IMO)
or;
(2) the victim is attached with a prussik on his harness above the belay device, which require more frigging around.

If (1), rig yourself for a normal assisted rappel (both climbers attached to a single belay device). To attach the device, the rescuer will need to have a prussik attached to his harness above the belay device. Because he will have to unload this weighted prussik, a NZ Prussik knot should be used.
Once both parties are attached to the unweighted belay device, the rescuer can remove the victims prussik. Often a leg loop prussik can be loosened pretty easily, as it doesn't tend to hold full body weight. If this is not the case, the rescuer could cut the prussik.
Once free of the prussik, the victim will slide down slightly until the assisted rappel attachment takes his weight. At this point, the victim's belay device becomes unweighted, and can also be removed.
From here, the rescuer loosens his prussik knot (being an NZ Prussik, this isn't too hard do to), and begins the descent.

If the victim has a pussik above the belay device, ie, (2)
The victim has hopefully used a NZ prussik, meaning that the rescuer can get into position above the victim, attach a assisted rappel system (ie slings or cordalette with desired arm lengths), bump the jammed NZ Prussik knot down, unloading both the victims belay device and prussik. This will weight the assisted rappel setup, and like in scenario (1), the rescuer can remove the victims prussik and belay device, and begin the rappel.

If the victim hasn't used a NZ Prussik knot, and has used a knot harder to release (eg Klemheist or normal Prussik knot), then the simplest idea would simply be get into position, attach the victim to an assisted rappel setup, cut the jammed prussik and begin with the descent.

Obviously being able to release and untie any knots is preferable, as ropes under tension can be cut very easily with a sharp edge, and it would suck to lose all your hard work by making a mistake and cutting your mate's rope accidently.

Does that sound feasible to anyone?

desertwanderer81

Jun 2, 2009, 1:21 PM
Post #79 of 174 (3647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
But listen, scenario-meisters, all this talk about how to reach the hanging rappeller is just about the prelude. Suppose you have arrived, either from above or below, having prussiked, cinched, or biner-twisted your way there. Now you are dangling, either above or below an unconscious rappeller who is being held in position by a locked harness friction knot.

What will you do to get him down, and how much longer will that take? All things considered, what is his likely hang time?

The best solution is this. Try to construct an anchor closest to the patient if possible, place him on it, and continue the rappell and then get help.

I highly discourage trying to get the patient down yourself. First off, chances are you will end up wasting a lot of time, and secondly you could hurt yourself.

If all else fails and there is nothing you can do, then cut the rope.

fresh

Jun 2, 2009, 1:29 PM
Post #80 of 174 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
hafilax wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
hafilax wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
Prussicing down is infinately safer and more controled. Worst case senario is that it ultimately takes you an extra 10-15 minutes to get down.
Because of harness hang syndrome you may not have that much time if the person is unconscious.

The first rule of any rescue is not to make more patients.....
Your statement made it sound like 15 minutes is no big deal whereas it can be life or death. I'm not saying that there is a better way but that time is of the essence with somebody unconscious in a harness.

It might sound heartless, but it. doesn't. matter.

Take the time and make smart choices. Keep your head. Don't rush things, you're just going to end up with patients instead of one.

So no, I wouldn't say your 15 minutes might be life or death comment is relevant.

this has to be commented on because I believe it's dangerous advice in a self-rescue situation.

first, some assumptions I'm going on before I go any further:

1. your partner has definitely been knocked unconcious by rock/icefall
2. your partner is hanging on the rope

if these two conditions aren't met, the following doesn't apply, and desertwanderer is probably right.

if your partner has been knocked unconcious and is hanging by the harness, think for a second about how he is probably hanging. probably not upright, right? so as his tongue relaxes, it rolls back and blocks the airway. 10-15 minutes? more like 3 before they suffer permanent brain damage, 5 before certain death.

it's probable that you won't be able to get down the rope in 3 minutes anyway. but it's possible if you don't waste time.

and I bet if it's your son/brother/wife/husband on the line below you, you won't be wasting any time at all. personally, I think risking a 1 in 100 chance of death is worth it if it gives me a 1 in 5 or even 1 in 10 chance of saving my partner's life. basically I'm gonna skip the 5 seconds it takes to lock all my biners and such, double check only once, and hope that I'm not stupid enough to forget something.

again, if there's no need to rush, I agree that you should take your time and triple check everything. in stress situations, it's easy to not think clearly. but if the clock is ticking, go go go.

Guran

Jun 2, 2009, 1:40 PM
Post #81 of 174 (3636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
If all else fails and there is nothing you can do, then cut the rope.

...and get some nitroglycerin.

oetkb

Jun 2, 2009, 2:30 PM
Post #82 of 174 (3620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
Once someone is down, they can give a "fireman's belay." If the rappeller is rendered unconscious, they can still be lowered under control.

I use a "fireman's belay" frequently, but some testing done on bottom belays for "long" rappels provokes some cautionary thoughts.

The parameters in the test are different than those we find in our typical climbing rappels (test rappel lengths are generally longer, test rappel device is different, test rope is thicker and less elastic); however, the results (a large belayer unable to stop the out-of-control "rappeller" in most situations) are somewhat sobering.

altelis

Jun 2, 2009, 2:32 PM
Post #83 of 174 (3615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fresh] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fresh wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
hafilax wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
hafilax wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
Prussicing down is infinately safer and more controled. Worst case senario is that it ultimately takes you an extra 10-15 minutes to get down.
Because of harness hang syndrome you may not have that much time if the person is unconscious.

Your statement made it sound like 15 minutes is no big deal whereas it can be life or death. I'm not saying that there is a better way but that time is of the essence with somebody unconscious in a harness.

Take the time and make smart choices. Keep your head. Don't rush things, you're just going to end up with patients instead of one.

So no, I wouldn't say your 15 minutes might be life or death comment is relevant.

this has to be commented on because I believe it's dangerous advice in a self-rescue situation.

if these two conditions aren't met, the following doesn't apply, and desertwanderer is probably right.

if your partner has been knocked unconcious and is hanging by the harness, think for a second about how he is probably hanging. probably not upright, right? so as his tongue relaxes, it rolls back and blocks the airway. 10-15 minutes? more like 3 before they suffer permanent brain damage, 5 before certain death.

it's probable that you won't be able to get down the rope in 3 minutes anyway. but it's possible if you don't waste time.

and I bet if it's your son/brother/wife/husband on the line below you, you won't be wasting any time at all. personally, I think risking a 1 in 100 chance of death is worth it if it gives me a 1 in 5 or even 1 in 10 chance of saving my partner's life. basically I'm gonna skip the 5 seconds it takes to lock all my biners and such, double check only once, and hope that I'm not stupid enough to forget something.

again, if there's no need to rush, I agree that you should take your time and triple check everything. in stress situations, it's easy to not think clearly. but if the clock is ticking, go go go.

Not sure where you got your numbers from, but these are kinda conservative. Not off by a factor of 10, but certainly off by a few minutes, at least.

hafilax

Jun 2, 2009, 2:34 PM
Post #84 of 174 (3614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
I may use some like these to get down but still, it is all depends on the rope size, type, biner dia, climber's weight on the bottom and how many biner or wrap to use.I think I got no problem getting myself down on the rope but not sure about others. if this is too complicated or scary then use prussic down climb method. Again this is my setup so do not bitc* that it does not work blah blah blah and start another LAB dog fight.

[IMG]http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8254/pict0389z.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7024/pict0391.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3946/pict0395n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/614/pict0398v.jpg[/IMG]

Majid why is it you always come up with ridiculously complicated and excessively dangerous solutions (or lack thereof), to the most simple tasks. I can see it now. You would be on some multi-pitch rap station with a GriGri, an ATC and a figure eight and you would do a full body rappell...

If you’re rapping a large ass rope like that in your pic a munter hitch is fine. Hell I know a variation of the munter hitch that is fine for 4 mm cordlet. I rapped a small climb using 4 mm cordlet with a high friction variation of the munter hitch and it didn’t involve some excessively complicated sub-prototype rap configuration using a billion biners and a spool of cordlet… The regular munter hitch and high friction munter hitch works for rapping any climbing rope you would ever find in the recreational climbing world and all you need is a locking biner. You should have one of those on your chalk bag…
We're talking about rappelling a loaded rope but thanks for playing. In that context Majid's suggestions are a hell of a lot better than yours.

desertwanderer81

Jun 2, 2009, 3:14 PM
Post #85 of 174 (3587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fresh wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
hafilax wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
hafilax wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

You're absolutely 100% wrong and have no clue whatsoever about rescue/emergency situations.

You're just some gumby fool who rushes into a situation and makes it worse.

colatownkid

Jun 2, 2009, 3:14 PM
Post #86 of 174 (3583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oetkb] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oetkb wrote:
rgold wrote:
Once someone is down, they can give a "fireman's belay." If the rappeller is rendered unconscious, they can still be lowered under control.

I use a "fireman's belay" frequently, but some testing done on bottom belays for "long" rappels provokes some cautionary thoughts.

The parameters in the test are different than those we find in our typical climbing rappels (test rappel lengths are generally longer, test rappel device is different, test rope is thicker and less elastic); however, the results (a large belayer unable to stop the out-of-control "rappeller" in most situations) are somewhat sobering.

interesting...

perhaps this is a slight deviation from the topic at hand, but the above linked article focused on the difference between a belayer's ability to grip a rope and his or her body weight. the idea is that higher body weight translates into a better bottom belay, but this is not always the case if the belayer's grip is not sufficiently strong to make their body weight useful.

so...any thoughts on the feasibility of using a friction hitch attached to the belay loop to make the bottom belay better leverage the weight of the belayer?

if the belayer is attached to the rappel line by a prussik or similar, his grip strength is irrelevant as the prussik will provide the grip. all he has to do is sit down to provide an effective belay.

i see two immediate concerns:

1. controlling the belay directly with one's body weight instead of one's grip may be difficult (but i imagine this skill can be practiced).

2. should the belayer be unable to maintain control, it is possible for the unconscious climber to impact the belayer as he will be tethered directly to the patient's fall line.

thoughts?

Partner rgold

Jun 2, 2009, 3:22 PM
Post #87 of 174 (3573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A few comments so far:

1. Going slow vs. going fast: Of course, the trick is to "make haste slowly." There is an awful lot that can go wrong, and you may either not be thinking clearly or just may not anticipate the way things will be, so erring on the side of caution is mandatory in my opinion.

I seem to be the only person in the discussion who has done this in field conditions (maybe even in practice conditions), so I'm going to make a blanket proclamation: you ain't gettin' there in three minutes. Just getting properly set up and passing the lip binding point will probably take more than three minutes.

By the way, in the situation I dealt with, the stuck rappeller was hanging in space, so building an anchor and attaching the rappeller to that was not an option.

Majid's carabiner-twist rappel would be faster than down-prussiking (and I for one thought his description was clear at the beginning). The question is whether you can force the twists on with a fully-weighted rope---I have no idea about this; I do know that you can "pop" a munter off a weighted line, but it is always going to be considerably easier to do something that lengthens the available rappel line as opposed to something that shortens it. Then there is the question of whether you can get the right level of friction, since the friction in this system isn't variable. Friction demands might change considerably if there are twists in the rappel line, and passing binding points will be extremely problematic. All in all a possible but extremely dicey solution in my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't try it under emergency conditions.

As for the carabiner brake suggestion, that one I'm positive can't be set up with a weighted line.

2. Hauling solutions. Forget hauling. Not only does hauling not work much of the time with improvised gear anyway, but in this situation the climbing ropes are under tension and cannot be set up. Maybe if the rescuer has a long cordelette that can be untied, something could be rigged---maybe, but very far from certain.

3. Transferring to assisted rappel: This at least seems plausible. The suggestions so far have what I'd call "gaps," moments when an instruction does not seem to take account of obstacles to carrying it out. Rather than a detailed response, let me just note that if the assisted rappel is to take place using the rescuers device, than that device can only be attached to a slack rope, which means it must go below the victim's device. This creates a number of problems in getting the victim's weight onto the rescuers device that I don't think have been explicitly addressed yet.

Since the victim already has an attached rappel device, it seems to me that this is the device that should eventually be the one used for the assisted rappel.

Besides the intrinsic interest (for some) of working out what to do in a puzzling situation, and the fact that discussions like this put ideas in the back of people's minds that may prove helpful somewhere down the road, perhaps in a completely different context, I think the main message of the discussion ought to be to think a bit about the benefits of a harness autoblock as a universal approach to rappel safety.

desertwanderer81

Jun 2, 2009, 3:47 PM
Post #88 of 174 (3557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've actually done dead man pickoffs...

Ultimately the school of thought that I was trained with is that it is nearly impossible to control the rappel device of someone unconscious. What we did is put the person on your own harness with two contact points, disengage the patient's rapell device, and rappel on your own device.

Keep in mind, this is much much easier to do than if someone was ascending.... because if they were ascending, then you have lift the patient's weight with your legs to disengage the prussic/ascender.... not easy, lol.

colatownkid

Jun 2, 2009, 3:58 PM
Post #89 of 174 (3548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
A few comments so far:

1. Going slow vs. going fast: Of course, the trick is to "make haste slowly." There is an awful lot that can go wrong, and you may either not be thinking clearly or just may not anticipate the way things will be, so erring on the side of caution is mandatory in my opinion.

I seem to be the only person in the discussion who has done this in field conditions (maybe even in practice conditions), so I'm going to make a blanket proclamation: you ain't gettin' there in three minutes. Just getting properly set up and passing the lip binding point will probably take more than three minutes.

By the way, in the situation I dealt with, the stuck rappeller was hanging in space, so building an anchor and attaching the rappeller to that was not an option.

Majid's carabiner-twist rappel would be faster than down-prussiking (and I for one thought his description was clear at the beginning). The question is whether you can force the twists on with a fully-weighted rope---I have no idea about this; I do know that you can "pop" a munter off a weighted line, but it is always going to be considerably easier to do something that lengthens the available rappel line as opposed to something that shortens it. Then there is the question of whether you can get the right level of friction, since the friction in this system isn't variable. Friction demands might change considerably if there are twists in the rappel line, and passing binding points will be extremely problematic. All in all a possible but extremely dicey solution in my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't try it under emergency conditions.

As for the carabiner brake suggestion, that one I'm positive can't be set up with a weighted line.

2. Hauling solutions. Forget hauling. Not only does hauling not work much of the time with improvised gear anyway, but in this situation the climbing ropes are under tension and cannot be set up. Maybe if the rescuer has a long cordelette that can be untied, something could be rigged---maybe, but very far from certain.

3. Transferring to assisted rappel: This at least seems plausible. The suggestions so far have what I'd call "gaps," moments when an instruction does not seem to take account of obstacles to carrying it out. Rather than a detailed response, let me just note that if the assisted rappel is to take place using the rescuers device, than that device can only be attached to a slack rope, which means it must go below the victim's device. This creates a number of problems in getting the victim's weight onto the rescuers device that I don't think have been explicitly addressed yet.

Since the victim already has an attached rappel device, it seems to me that this is the device that should eventually be the one used for the assisted rappel.

Besides the intrinsic interest (for some) of working out what to do in a puzzling situation, and the fact that discussions like this put ideas in the back of people's minds that may prove helpful somewhere down the road, perhaps in a completely different context, I think the main message of the discussion ought to be to think a bit about the benefits of a harness autoblock as a universal approach to rappel safety.

as always, an extraordinarily coherent reply from rgold.

to discuss the gaps, i am not sure what the better solution would be: to use the patient's device or the rescuer's (probably the simpler one, but i have not had the chance to think everything through just yet).

however, the "anchor building" scenario and "using the rescuer's rappel device" could be approached by using the rappel lines as an anchor point.

upon reaching the patient, the rescuer places a friction hitch on the rappel lines at the top of the system (above all other devices, hitches, etc.) the rescuer then attaches the patient directly to this friction hitch via a load-releasable attachment of some kind (munter-mule, mariner's, etc.). (this violates the rule of trusting any live load to a single friction hitch made from 5 or 6mm cord, but sometimes you gotta make do, right? i suppose you could always build a second identical attachment point if so inclined.)

at this point the patient is attached above the rescuer. the rescuer can then remove the patient's setup from the system and proceed with the rest of the rescue.

(if that rescue is to continue with the rappel, the forward-thinking rescuer will have already extended his rappel device and rigged it with two attachment points. all he needs to do is attach his patient, release the patient's munter-mule, and continue rappelling.)

majid_sabet

Jun 2, 2009, 4:30 PM
Post #90 of 174 (3536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
I may use some like these to get down but still, it is all depends on the rope size, type, biner dia, climber's weight on the bottom and how many biner or wrap to use.I think I got no problem getting myself down on the rope but not sure about others. if this is too complicated or scary then use prussic down climb method. Again this is my setup so do not bitc* that it does not work blah blah blah and start another LAB dog fight.

[IMG]http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8254/pict0389z.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7024/pict0391.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3946/pict0395n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/614/pict0398v.jpg[/IMG]

Majid why is it you always come up with ridiculously complicated and excessively dangerous solutions (or lack thereof), to the most simple tasks. I can see it now. You would be on some multi-pitch rap station with a GriGri, an ATC and a figure eight and you would do a full body rappell...

If you’re rapping a large ass rope like that in your pic a munter hitch is fine. Hell I know a variation of the munter hitch that is fine for 4 mm cordlet. I rapped a small climb using 4 mm cordlet with a high friction variation of the munter hitch and it didn’t involve some excessively complicated sub-prototype rap configuration using a billion biners and a spool of cordlet… The regular munter hitch and high friction munter hitch works for rapping any climbing rope you would ever find in the recreational climbing world and all you need is a locking biner. You should have one of those on your chalk bag…

You are among the most n00bies RCers I have ever seen and I hope you never have to lunch a rocket in to Taliban in Afghanistan cause you may blow downtown Cairo in Egypt for lack of knowing what goes where or how to rig things during what situations .

fresh

Jun 2, 2009, 4:30 PM
Post #91 of 174 (3535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
You're absolutely 100% wrong and have no clue whatsoever about rescue/emergency situations.

I'm indeed a gumby, no need to point that out. please, let's keep the attacks to a minimum and stick to rational discussion. even gumbies can be right.

I was taught what I know in a self rescue course with mark synnott. what he told us is that if your partner is hanging unconcious, it's possible that they will die in 3-5 minutes. what course of action do you think is best given that information? honestly, my opinion is by no means set in stone. I really would like to know the best thing to do, but more importantly I'd like to know why.

as it stands, I'm under the impression that the chance that the airway is blocked is considerable. if it's not a considerable chance, then by all means I agree with desertwanderer. if you have time, take your time. no need to have two icy corpses littering a route.

the 3-5 minute range is what synnott taught us, and a quick search shows that he was right:

http://wiki.answers.com/...rvive_without_oxygen

edit: by the way, if I've applied what I've learned incorrectly, that's my fault, not mark's. don't mean to blame him for that.

(This post was edited by fresh on Jun 2, 2009, 4:58 PM)

sungam

Jun 2, 2009, 4:32 PM
Post #92 of 174 (3529 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Majid, you just out did yourself on the WTF analogy scale.

patto

Jun 2, 2009, 4:34 PM
Post #93 of 174 (3524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good post Rgold.

I know of at least two cases where leaders sent their less experienced partners down a rappel and they got into trouble with autoblocks. Being above their less experienced parter made things VERY difficult.

For this reason beginners should have a bottom belay from the leader. If they are too inexperienced to rig their own belay then the leader can do this before the descend. But this is a guiding issue.

Incidently arborists often use prussiks and similar friction knots as a DYNAMIC friction device for rappelling. I was shocked to see this in action but I guess their larger diameter ropes distribute the heat and wear so melting isn't as much of a concern. Granted the prussik was only taking half body weight but still it was scary.

Thus I believe that it is possible that several multiwrap prussik knots could be used to rappel down a fixed line. But I would be scared doing it.

fresh

Jun 2, 2009, 4:41 PM
Post #94 of 174 (3514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
for what it's worth, what I've said only applies if there's a chance of getting to your partner in 3-5 minutes. which is something I can't speak to.

also, is there a significant difference between getting to your partner in 10 minutes or 45? maybe just daylight considerations?

desertwanderer81

Jun 2, 2009, 4:42 PM
Post #95 of 174 (3509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fresh wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:

I'm indeed a gumby, no need to point that out. please, let's keep the attacks to a minimum and stick to rational discussion. even gumbies can be right.

I was taught what I know in a self rescue course with mark synnott. what he told us is that if your partner is hanging unconcious, it's possible that they will die in 3-5 minutes. what course of action do you think is best given that information? honestly, my opinion is by no means set in stone. I really would like to know the best thing to do, but more importantly I'd like to know why.

as it stands, I'm under the impression that the chance that the airway is blocked is considerable. if it's not a considerable chance, then by all means I agree with desertwanderer. if you have time, take your time. no need to have two icy corpses littering a route.

the 3-5 minute range is what synnott taught us, and a quick search shows that he was right:

http://wiki.answers.com/...rvive_without_oxygen

Yeah, and I'll tell you this, in that situation, there is very very little chance that no matter what method you use, you're not going to get to the person in 3-5 minutes. The person could already be dead. Take your time and do it right as a previous poster who actually is experienced in this situation stated. Get the hero mentality out of your head and use it. Don't create a bigger problem. You are an abled body person. You are an asset. If you get yourself hurt, you become another patient. You make the situation worse. There is no way to rescue your buddy in that case. And if you are going to screw up, it's going to be in a situation like this when the adreneline is flowing.

The guy might die in 3-5 minutes, he might not. He might already be dead. What made him unconscious? Was it falling rock? Will there be more falling rock? Was it lightening in a ferocsious lightning storm? If so, you're better off trying to find some sort of shelter if possible rather than going down a rope with lots of shiney metalic things on you.

Stop and think and make rational, safe descissions is the path that needs to be taken. In this situation YOU are the priority. YOU need to take care of yourself first.

majid_sabet

Jun 2, 2009, 4:55 PM
Post #96 of 174 (3504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you guys down at the bottom of the loaded rope ?

if so how did you get down ?

marc801

Jun 2, 2009, 4:59 PM
Post #97 of 174 (3499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebee] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mikebee wrote:
Use a NZ Prussik knot...
You mentioned this knot 6 times in one post. What is a NZ Prussik? I've found nothing with Google.

fresh

Jun 2, 2009, 5:03 PM
Post #98 of 174 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
Yeah, and I'll tell you this, in that situation, there is very very little chance that no matter what method you use, you're not going to get to the person in 3-5 minutes.

well if he's 5 feet from the ledge, I'd assume you can get to him. if he's at the end of the ropes, probably not. where do you think the line should be drawn?

reno

Jun 2, 2009, 5:07 PM
Post #99 of 174 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fresh wrote:

the 3-5 minute range is what synnott taught us, and a quick search shows that he was right...

Without turning this forum into a medical forum by discussing the details, Synnott isn't quite as right as you think. There's a great deal of oxygen left in the blood stream after a person becomes unconscious. A blocked airway does not mean "3-5 minutes before YOR GONNA DIE!!!!11!one!"

As rgold eloquently stated: "Make haste slowly."

fresh

Jun 2, 2009, 5:23 PM
Post #100 of 174 (3474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks reno, good to know!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook