Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

desertwanderer81

Jun 2, 2009, 5:38 PM
Post #101 of 174 (7195 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fresh] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

fresh wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
Yeah, and I'll tell you this, in that situation, there is very very little chance that no matter what method you use, you're not going to get to the person in 3-5 minutes.

well if he's 5 feet from the ledge, I'd assume you can get to him. if he's at the end of the ropes, probably not. where do you think the line should be drawn?

I still don't think you're getting it. If he is 5 feet or 500 feet away, it doesn't matter. As both Reno and rgold have stated, make haste slowely. Use your head. If you can get to the person while they're still alive, then good. If not, don't make the situation worse. Keep a cool head and be methodical. Move quickly, but tripple check everything you do.

desertwanderer81

Jun 2, 2009, 5:41 PM
Post #102 of 174 (7193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Furthermore, I've done two mock rescues in "wild" conditions. Even when you know that everything is fake, the adrenline is flowing. You are so charged up. It's so incredibly easy to get hurt in those situations. Like I said, a cool head and clear mind is what you need. Take your time and make good choices.

GeneralZon

Jun 2, 2009, 5:56 PM
Post #103 of 174 (7186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed, the analogy was a bit WTF?Crazy

altelis

Jun 2, 2009, 6:05 PM
Post #104 of 174 (7180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fresh wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
You're absolutely 100% wrong and have no clue whatsoever about rescue/emergency situations.

You're just some gumby fool who rushes into a situation and makes it worse.
I'm indeed a gumby, no need to point that out. please, let's keep the attacks to a minimum and stick to rational discussion. even gumbies can be right.

I was taught what I know in a self rescue course with mark synnott. what he told us is that if your partner is hanging unconcious, it's possible that they will die in 3-5 minutes. what course of action do you think is best given that information? honestly, my opinion is by no means set in stone. I really would like to know the best thing to do, but more importantly I'd like to know why.

as it stands, I'm under the impression that the chance that the airway is blocked is considerable. if it's not a considerable chance, then by all means I agree with desertwanderer. if you have time, take your time. no need to have two icy corpses littering a route.

the 3-5 minute range is what synnott taught us, and a quick search shows that he was right:

http://wiki.answers.com/...rvive_without_oxygen

edit: by the way, if I've applied what I've learned incorrectly, that's my fault, not mark's. don't mean to blame him for that.

Hey, I want to preface this with "i'm not looking to pick a fight", I'm just short on time so don't mistake my curtness (sorry curt) for anger.

1) Wiki has a lot of useful information. It is definitely not a legitimate source for citing things like "how long can a human brain survive without oxygen". It. Just. Isn't.

2)To expand on that point, even what we as EMT's are taught as times that people can go without breathing are skewed toward the short end. In fact the whole "ABC's" we are taught isn't the most effective way to save a life. Lots and lots of real-world data has been accumulated by the military to show that, when the patient is in a DANGEROUS situation (ie battlefield, but I would say that an unconscious climber dangling at the end of the rope would be an analogous situation), a better order of operations is S-CAB (or SCAB). Scene. Cardio-vascular (bleeds, stopped heart, etc.). Airway. Breathing.

As was explained to me by a special forces medic, the priorities of the military is to get a live body rescued- this means they will sacrifice potential permanent brain injury in order to leave w/ a living soldier. All that is a circuitous way of saying that we have more time than we are normally taught to get to a person and get oxygen flowing through their vessels (whether it be getting their tongue outta their throat, rescue breathing, cpr, etc).

Why do I bring this up? B/c it is just one more piece of evidence that points to: SLOW DOWN. There is NEVER a reason to rush. Move quickly and efficiently? OF COURSE. Do unsafe/stupid things? NOPE. Ask Majid, or anybody else who risks their safety to rescue others- they would much prefer to assist you out than go in and have to recover TWO bodies b/c the one partner still alive was an idiot.

3) Mark Synnot knows a LOT. He is very experienced, and a generally nice guy. He is not, however, in the health care profession. He's a climber. I would take much of his teachings as fact with regards to climbing. I wouldn't necessarily do so for health related statements. Know. Your. Source. (See point 1)....

Edited for pt 3 and for spelling. embarrassing......

(This post was edited by altelis on Jun 2, 2009, 6:15 PM)

hobo_climber

Jun 2, 2009, 6:06 PM
Post #105 of 174 (7180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Use a NZ Prussik knot...

I'm from NZ I've never even heard of it in my many years climbing and caving around this fine country. it must be something truely amazing! personally i'd use an extended french prussic to decend a loaded rope, can be tied in either cord or webbing, easily controable (its simmilar to the aborists technique mentioned somewhere in this thread).
then as i arrive at the patient i would clip in direct to their abseil device, leave my EFP in place as a back-up and cut whatever friction hitch stopped the patient initally, and continue to the ground with them.

I've been taught in rescue its often not the safest system that works best but the most effecint and more importantly the system YOU are most familiar with... you don't want to be fiddling with something your not 100% sure about when the shit hits the fan!

james481

Jun 2, 2009, 6:34 PM
Post #106 of 174 (7166 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tedman] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a pretty tough situation. As has already been pretty well covered here, if the rope is running over a slab or large roof (and you don't happen to have another rope handy), you're pretty well boned, as there is no way you're going to descend a loaded rope running over the rock. But let's assume that we're fortunate today, the rope is running free from the anchor to the fallen climber, and we're able to descend safely with twin prussiks. Here's what I would do then:

1. Descend until your prussiks are a foot or so above the fallen climber's belay / rappel device.

2. Tie both yourself and the fallen climber in short with fig-8s or butterflys with the free rope hanging below, leaving a good few feet of slack. There are probably a couple ways of doing this, but the easiest may be just tying one climber in short to each of the lines (i.e. counterweight the line). This will act as backup if anything goes wrong while doing the rest of the rigging.

3. Use a long cordalette and HMS biner (that you hopefully didn't decide to leave on the ground) to construct a PMMO hitch on the lines above the prussiks you used to descend. The biner side of the PMMO is clipped to your belay loop but not weighted yet.

4. Girth hitch a sling to the fallen climber's belay loop, and clip it into the PMMO HMS biner, shortening with knots as necessary so that there isn't more than a few inches of slack.

5. Before weighting the PMMO, rig your belay / descender to both your belay loop and the sling connecting the fallen climber to the PMMO (of course, you can't thread the rope yet, as it is still weighted, but you want the belay device carabiner clipped through both your belay loop and the fallen climber's sling, as it would be difficult to rig once the sling is weighted).

6. Gently apply your weight to the PMMO hitch by sliding your descending prussiks down (which should only take an inch or so if the PMMO is properly rigged).

7. Gently apply the fallen climber's weight to the PMMO by sliding him down the rope a few inches (which may not be hard if his third hand is rigged below his device. If rigged above it, you may need to cut the cord in order to unweight it). You should now both be hanging from the PMMO hitch, you attached by your belay loop, and the fallen climber by the sling running from his belay loop. You are now both dependent on a single prussik knot, hence the tying in short in step 2.

8. Now that both climbers' weight is held by the PMMO, you can remove your descending prussiks from the line. Your belay device should already be clipped into both your belay loop and the sling from the fallen climber's belay loop (step 5). Now that the line below the PMMO is unweighted, you can rig your belay device onto the line (including a third hand prussik backup).

9. Remove the fallen climber's belay device and third hand backup from the line. Now you should be ready to use the PMMO to gently lower both of you on to your belay device, making sure your third hand backup engages properly.

10. Remove the (now unweighted) PMMO from the line, do anything else needed to prepare for descent (rigging a chest harness for the fallen climber, etc), and finally remove the backup short tie ins from both yourself and the fallen climber.

11. Rappel.

Sounds like it should work to me. Any thoughts?

desertwanderer81

Jun 2, 2009, 7:07 PM
Post #107 of 174 (7149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
Why do I bring this up? B/c it is just one more piece of evidence that points to: SLOW DOWN. There is NEVER a reason to rush. Move quickly and efficiently? OF COURSE. Do unsafe/stupid things? NOPE. Ask Majid, or anybody else who risks their safety to rescue others- they would much prefer to assist you out than go in and have to recover TWO bodies b/c the one partner still alive was an idiot.

This right here. If anyone is to leave this thread with ANYTHING, it's this. It is a very important lesson that everyone needs to know.

fresh

Jun 2, 2009, 7:31 PM
Post #108 of 174 (7141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the input altelis!

In reply to:
we have more time than we are normally taught to get to a person and get oxygen flowing through their vessels

good to know. so you think 3-5 minutes is a bad estimate? or were you just annoyed that I linked to wiki for information? Wink

thinking about it, I wondering if this whole discussion is moot. the most efficient way of moving down the rope will probably also be the safest.

the only input that I hope sticks with people is that it's possible your partner is suffocating in this situation--not a reason to cut corners (what corners are there to cut anyway?). but it might give you an extra kick in the pants to get moving.

fresh

Jun 2, 2009, 7:47 PM
Post #109 of 174 (7134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
altelis wrote:

This right here. If anyone is to leave this thread with ANYTHING, it's this. It is a very important lesson that everyone needs to know.
I would agree, because in fact by slowing down and being diligent with each step you take, you save much more time than you do by flying into action.

altelis

Jun 2, 2009, 7:51 PM
Post #110 of 174 (7127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its not "bad" estimate. i'm not entirely comfortable with that judgemental language in this case.

is it a good estimate given who its used by, their priorities, and under the type of system the work? absolutely.

i think, however, that trivially moving those numbers from one scenario to another is not a useful exercise.

this is why i brought up the standards used by special forces medics. i believe that the situations and priorities (their paradigm, if you will) that they operate under are much more analogous to climbing rescue scenarios than to urban pre-hospital urgent care.

length of time before a clinical setting is reached, length of time before advanced tools are reached (oxygen, defibrillator, meds, IV fluids, etc) all make a climbing rescue (self or SAR driven) much closer to combat medicine than urban pre-hospital, even rural pre-hospital, care.

3-5 minutes is a GOOD estimate when the scene isn't exactly a dangerous place (person has a heart attack on the side walk of a city) AND you are possibly going to be held negligent should brain damage occur. 3-5 minutes is a BAD estimate if you are in a high-stakes environment (climbing rescue, combat, etc) and your priorities are your own safety and then secondly a LIVE body. While a fully functioning live body is a WONDERFUL thing, and everything should be done to try and get to this point, your safety needs to come into top priority. it is for this reason that a more realistic and less law-suite-avoidance driven set of numbers is useful in our particular set of circumstances.

*****honestly, i still don't think you get it. the most efficient way down is NOT the safest, there are MANY corners that can be cut, etc. some have even advocated enough. YES- don't dally. NO- don't rush.*****

OK- in fairness I will retract this statement given your last post, fresh. I keeping it in instead of deleting it from my post because I think for the larger audience it is still a useful set of instructions. Cheers.

(This post was edited by altelis on Jun 2, 2009, 7:53 PM)

fresh

Jun 2, 2009, 8:05 PM
Post #111 of 174 (7120 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
*****honestly, i still don't think you get it. the most efficient way down is NOT the safest, there are MANY corners that can be cut, etc. some have even advocated enough. YES- don't dally. NO- don't rush.*****
sorry, but I hope I never actually "get it," if by "get it" you mean "be satisfied enough with the answers to stop objecting to them." cheers!

altelis

Jun 2, 2009, 8:06 PM
Post #112 of 174 (7113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope you saw my edits.....

desertwanderer81

Jun 2, 2009, 8:16 PM
Post #113 of 174 (7109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fresh wrote:
thinking about it, I wondering if this whole discussion is moot. the most efficient way of moving down the rope will probably also be the safest.

the only input that I hope sticks with people is that it's possible your partner is suffocating in this situation--not a reason to cut corners (what corners are there to cut anyway?). but it might give you an extra kick in the pants to get moving.

I'm sorry, but no. You just don't get it. Most climbers will have the instinct to jump into action. It's this instinct that we need to fight.

You're simply wrong. Climbers don't need a kick in the pants to rescue their buddies. They need to stop, think, and take care of themselves first.

You don't understand rescue situations. I am sure you're a wonderful person and a great climber, but this is simply not something that you understand. Were I to do a climbing, caving, or simple EMT call in a danerous situation, I would not want you around because you don't understand the need to make safety the number one priority.

sspssp

Jun 2, 2009, 8:25 PM
Post #114 of 174 (7104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [james481] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

james481 wrote:
This is a pretty tough situation. As has already been pretty well covered here, if the rope is running over a slab or large roof (and you don't happen to have another rope handy), you're pretty well boned, as there is no way you're going to descend a loaded rope running over the rock. But let's assume that we're fortunate today, the rope is running free from the anchor to the fallen climber, and we're able to descend safely with twin prussiks. Here's what I would do then:

1. Descend until your prussiks are a foot or so above the fallen climber's belay / rappel device.

2. Tie both yourself and the fallen climber in short with fig-8s or butterflys with the free rope hanging below, leaving a good few feet of slack. There are probably a couple ways of doing this, but the easiest may be just tying one climber in short to each of the lines (i.e. counterweight the line). This will act as backup if anything goes wrong while doing the rest of the rigging.

3. Use a long cordalette and HMS biner (that you hopefully didn't decide to leave on the ground) to construct a PMMO hitch on the lines above the prussiks you used to descend. The biner side of the PMMO is clipped to your belay loop but not weighted yet.

4. Girth hitch a sling to the fallen climber's belay loop, and clip it into the PMMO HMS biner, shortening with knots as necessary so that there isn't more than a few inches of slack.

5. Before weighting the PMMO, rig your belay / descender to both your belay loop and the sling connecting the fallen climber to the PMMO (of course, you can't thread the rope yet, as it is still weighted, but you want the belay device carabiner clipped through both your belay loop and the fallen climber's sling, as it would be difficult to rig once the sling is weighted).

6. Gently apply your weight to the PMMO hitch by sliding your descending prussiks down (which should only take an inch or so if the PMMO is properly rigged).

7. Gently apply the fallen climber's weight to the PMMO by sliding him down the rope a few inches (which may not be hard if his third hand is rigged below his device. If rigged above it, you may need to cut the cord in order to unweight it). You should now both be hanging from the PMMO hitch, you attached by your belay loop, and the fallen climber by the sling running from his belay loop. You are now both dependent on a single prussik knot, hence the tying in short in step 2.

8. Now that both climbers' weight is held by the PMMO, you can remove your descending prussiks from the line. Your belay device should already be clipped into both your belay loop and the sling from the fallen climber's belay loop (step 5). Now that the line below the PMMO is unweighted, you can rig your belay device onto the line (including a third hand prussik backup).

9. Remove the fallen climber's belay device and third hand backup from the line. Now you should be ready to use the PMMO to gently lower both of you on to your belay device, making sure your third hand backup engages properly.

10. Remove the (now unweighted) PMMO from the line, do anything else needed to prepare for descent (rigging a chest harness for the fallen climber, etc), and finally remove the backup short tie ins from both yourself and the fallen climber.

11. Rappel.

Well the OP said the victim had slid to the end of the rope that had knots tied in it. If the victim is dangling out in space, I would say your best bet is calling 911. Otherwise, if the victim is up against the wall where you can build an anchor, then here is the simplier approach: once you have made it down to the victim (quickly and easily on your Cinch Wink ) you build an anchor and clip in, attach the victim to your harness, and cut the rope right above the victim's belay device (or the victim's backup if that is what he is hanging from), pull the rope and start rapping down...

(This post was edited by sspssp on Jun 2, 2009, 8:29 PM)

fresh

Jun 2, 2009, 8:32 PM
Post #115 of 174 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer,

you're right, I shouldn't have put it that way. I have a lot to learn. take care dude.

reno

Jun 2, 2009, 8:35 PM
Post #116 of 174 (7093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

james481 wrote:

No doubt I'm having a senior moment, but what the heck is a PMMO Hitch?

majid_sabet

Jun 2, 2009, 9:01 PM
Post #117 of 174 (7083 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
james481 wrote:

11. Rappel.

Well the OP said the victim had slid to the end of the rope that had knots tied in it. If the victim is dangling out in space, I would say your best bet is calling 911. Otherwise, if the victim is up against the wall where you can build an anchor, then here is the simplier approach: once you have made it down to the victim (quickly and easily on your Cinch Wink ) you build an anchor and clip in, attach the victim to your harness, and cut the rope right above the victim's belay device (or the victim's backup if that is what he is hanging from), pull the rope and start rapping down...[/quote]

just like that

why do not try this with your 45 lbs backpack tonight and see how smooth it will go .

No try it with your dog first.

desertwanderer81

Jun 2, 2009, 9:13 PM
Post #118 of 174 (7076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You're not working hard enough to be offensive.

james481

Jun 2, 2009, 9:15 PM
Post #119 of 174 (7075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
james481 wrote:

Prussik Munter Mule Overhand, which is a load releasing hitch. Also, not to sound like the safety nanny, but IMHO no one has any business climbing anything but plastic unless they know how to tie one of these forwards and backwards (and in the dark with frozen hands probably doesn't hurt either), as it is a fundamental self-rescue knot used for many applications, including belay escapes and knot passing, skills which any outdoor climber should be well versed in.

james481

Jun 2, 2009, 9:40 PM
Post #120 of 174 (7065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
james481 wrote:

<chopped>

Well the OP said the victim had slid to the end of the rope that had knots tied in it. If the victim is dangling out in space, I would say your best bet is calling 911. Otherwise, if the victim is up against the wall where you can build an anchor, then here is the simplier approach: once you have made it down to the victim (quickly and easily on your Cinch Wink ) you build an anchor and clip in, attach the victim to your harness, and cut the rope right above the victim's belay device (or the victim's backup if that is what he is hanging from), pull the rope and start rapping down...

Well, he said either way, but the thread was seemingly going towards discussing what would be done in the event that a rappeler's third hand stopped him mid rope during rappel, which is what my "solution" attempts to address. Also, in looking at your solution, assuming you're in a position where you can reach the fallen climber, why would you need to cut the rope at all? Couldn't you just build an anchor and lower his weight on to it by running rope through his belay device (assuming you can loosen / cut his third hand backup)?

ETA: Ah, nevermind, because he's resting on the knots in the end of the rope... duh... :-)

(This post was edited by james481 on Jun 2, 2009, 9:41 PM)

cintune

Jun 3, 2009, 12:24 AM
Post #121 of 174 (7042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some good techniques are explained here; quite a bit of it can be seen in the preview pages.

Climbing Self Rescue By Andy Tyson, Molly Loomis
http://books.google.com/books?id=J5_sl0YR9eUC

colatownkid

Jun 3, 2009, 2:09 AM
Post #122 of 174 (7026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

james481 wrote:
reno wrote:
james481 wrote:

Prussik Munter Mule Overhand, which is a load releasing hitch. Also, not to sound like the safety nanny, but IMHO no one has any business climbing anything but plastic unless they know how to tie one of these forwards and backwards (and in the dark with frozen hands probably doesn't hurt either), as it is a fundamental self-rescue knot used for many applications, including belay escapes and knot passing, skills which any outdoor climber should be well versed in.

not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to raise a valid point, so please bear with me.

i think it's worth pointing out that the PMMO, while a useful tool, requires a good deal of cord and is typically made from a cordelette. with the exception of the present scenario, there's a decent chance that you won't have a cordelette available should a rescue become necessary.

likely, one cordelette will already be in use in the anchor and the second cordelette will be with your partner. (ie. injured leader with a cordelette, other one in the anchor. or injured follower with the cordelette from the bottom anchor, other cordelette in the top anchor.)

so...not to cluster an already messy situation and thread, but it might be prudent to be prepared to perform a rescue using just prussiks, shoulder-length slings, and the back end of the rope.

and there is of course the possibility that (gasp!) the climbing party in question doesn't use cordelettes at all.

reno

Jun 3, 2009, 3:23 AM
Post #123 of 174 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

colatownkid wrote:
james481 wrote:
reno wrote:
james481 wrote:

not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to raise a valid point, so please bear with me.

i think it's worth pointing out that the PMMO, while a useful tool, requires a good deal of cord and is typically made from a cordelette. with the exception of the present scenario, there's a decent chance that you won't have a cordelette available should a rescue become necessary.

That's true for the "P" part of the PMMO, but the "MMO" part can, and should, be done with the rope.

Though, if you're coming down from above a stricken climber, I'm having trouble figuring out how you'd obtain the required slack rope to tie the MMO. If that's what you meant, sorry to misconstrue your words.

shoo

Jun 3, 2009, 3:29 AM
Post #124 of 174 (7006 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The problem with down-prussicing is that it's damnably hard to do if the rope is running over a slab or edges, and if the rope is free hanging, then it'll be pretty damn hard getting to a place to make an anchor near the victim.

Alternative, very complicated solution to avoid above problems:

1. Use a haul system to haul ONE side of the rope 10-15 feet. Since the victim is on some kind of fixed system (backup knot or something), this will raise the victim on one half of the rope, and leave the other one slack. Ideally, you will want to use a mariner's hitch for your haul system.

2. Fix the rope to the top anchor, leaving as much slack as possible on the slack side. The slack side is now your rappel line. It no longer carries the weight of your partner.

3. Release mariner's hitch so victim is weighting the fixed rope.

4. Rappel off the slack rope to the victim. Do any immediate first aid. undo the backup knot on the rappel end from underneath your partner's belay device, freeing the bottom.

5. Up-prussic to a place to construct an anchor.

6. Haul partner to new anchor.

7. Do whatever you need to do to get to the ground (situation specific)

Editing for MUCH better solution

(This post was edited by shoo on Jun 3, 2009, 3:49 AM)

mikebee

Jun 3, 2009, 9:59 AM
Post #125 of 174 (6982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] what to do in this rappel situation? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The suggestions so far have what I'd call "gaps," moments when an instruction does not seem to take account of obstacles to carrying it out. Rather than a detailed response, let me just note that if the assisted rappel is to take place using the rescuers device, than that device can only be attached to a slack rope, which means it must go below the victim's device.

You're right. I was on the bus to work this morning running through what I'd written, and I did note that threading the rescuer's belay device was something I hadn't properly dealt with.
The idea of using the belay device that is already there (ie the victims) is an idea that I hadn't

In reply to:
You mentioned this knot 6 times in one post. What is a NZ Prussik? I've found nothing with Google.

I did a technical mountaineering course in NZ last summer, and it was a variation of a autoblock/french prussik that apparently some NZ guides had come up with. They played around with it and realised that it's actually pretty easy to release under load. We were taught it rather than using a mariner knot. They used to call it a NZ French Prussik, but the dropped the French bit after a couple of seasons.

I must admit, I googled last night when I first posted trying to find some pics of one, but I had no luck. I didn't have time to take any either.
Seems that it isn't a widely known or accepted knot. It's a bit more fiddly to tie than a typical autoblock, and its far easier to get one that doesn't have enough friction, but when correct, it's quite versatile.

I've attached a couple of picks of an NZ Prussik. The drawn one is from the basic "technical manual" that all participants in this mountaineering course received. The photo is one I just tied.

The trick with tieing one that bites well is to keep the gap between the turns on the main rope, and the overhand knot relatively small. The bigger the gap, the less it bites, but the easier it is to release. I've found a good guide is if I can just get my middle 3 fingers through the gap, then it seems to work quite well.

To release, wrap your hand around the climbing rope above the NZ Prussik, and slide it down quickly. Your pinky finger will cop a minor bruising if you practice this too often. Generally, it needs to be pretty firm, but it certainly only needs a pretty moderate force to release it.

Have a play. I'm curious to see what others think of it.
Attachments: Image1.jpg (70.8 KB)
  image2.jpg (126 KB)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook