RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Hendu3p

May 22, 2009, 2:20 AM
Post #1 of 3 (423 views)
Shortcut

Guidebook for RMNP Estes Park YMCA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to be staying out at the Y on May 31 and June 1 and was looking for some suggestions on a guidebook for that area. I won't have a partner or my own transportation so something that would outline some good bouldering within hiking distance would be great. If you might be out there and willing to do some sport climbing that weekend as well, I might be up for that too.

Hendu3p

Jun 3, 2009, 9:36 PM
Post #2 of 3 (319 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Hendu3p] Guidebook for RMNP Estes Park YMCA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, to reply to my own post for future searches...

I picked up the guidebook by Bernard Gillett at Estes Park Mountain Shop in Estes Park, CO for about $30. It mentions known but undocumented bouldering areas in Morraine Park and Hallowell Park.

The closest boldering to the Y is only about a 20 minute hike away. Head toward the outpost daycamp and then follow the trail signs to Morraine Park. Hike until you come to a pyramid shaped boulder on the trail that leads to the road bridge that crosses the creek. Look straight up the hill away from the creek and you will find some great boulders.

Keep hiking the trail for another half hour or so and you will come across another large boulder in the field toward the west end of Morraine Park. Apparently you can also keep hiking until Hallowell Park and find some good bouldering there.

The other option if you have transportation is to go over to Lumpy Ridge. There is a hand drawn map that you can pick up at the Estes Park Mountain Shop that outlines some established bouldering near the Little Twin Owls Area.

gimmeslack

Jun 4, 2009, 12:20 AM
Post #3 of 3 (307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Hendu3p] Guidebook for RMNP Estes Park YMCA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope to also be at Y later in July, so be sure to post and let us know what you come up with.

...bought the same guide book. Also hope to check out Flatirons...

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook