Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Any stretching that actually..well works?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

angeleyes

Jun 8, 2009, 4:27 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Any stretching that actually..well works?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My experience with stretching over the years has been, it seems like it reduces the chance of injury, but I've seen almost no gains in flexibility from doing it.

It seems like if you want to increase range of motion/flexibility for X... you basically need to do an activity that involves doing X. So if X is better high step without having to lean back, best way to get it is do more.

Same experience for me in other sports as well, whether it's throwing my leg over a bike saddle or a high kick. Only way to get more flexibility for them is to do them.

So I regard stretching as mostly useless as far as increasing flexibility, but good to do after your warm up prior to exercising

Anyone have any opposite experience or can recommend any specific way of stretching that does what it's so often advertised to do?

I've tried basic yoga classics, likewise they really did nothing for me.

thanks

(This post was edited by angeleyes on Jun 8, 2009, 4:39 PM)

bill413

Jun 8, 2009, 4:50 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angeleyes] Any stretching that actually..well works? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angeleyes wrote:
My experience with stretching over the years has been, it seems like it reduces the chance of injury, but I've seen almost no gains in flexibility from doing it.

It seems like if you want to increase range of motion/flexibility for X... you basically need to do an activity that involves doing X. So if X is better high step without having to lean back, best way to get it is do more.

Same experience for me in other sports as well, whether it's throwing my leg over a bike saddle or a high kick. Only way to get more flexibility for them is to do them.

So I regard stretching as mostly useless as far as increasing flexibility, but good to do after your warm up prior to exercising

Anyone have any opposite experience or can recommend any specific way of stretching that does what it's so often advertised to do?

thanks
I sort of agree about the classes, I think most move too rapidly through the forms to give you real stretching.

My take on it is to move slowly into the stretch, hold it (NO BOUNCING), release. Repeat. (Or, do stretch to other side, then repeat).

I do see it helping my flexibility, but....it was easier to increase when I was younger. As we get older, it takes longer to see progress.

Be careful not to overdo it, you can easily pull various things & wind up restricting your motion.

With regard to things like high steps, those are not just flexibility but also the muscle training to move into the position. For that, I think you do have to do specific training.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jun 8, 2009, 4:58 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Any stretching that actually..well works? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
angeleyes wrote:

thanks
I sort of agree about the classes, I think most move too rapidly through the forms to give you real stretching.

My take on it is to move slowly into the stretch, hold it (NO BOUNCING), release. Repeat. (Or, do stretch to other side, then repeat).

I do see it helping my flexibility, but....it was easier to increase when I was younger. As we get older, it takes longer to see progress.

Be careful not to overdo it, you can easily pull various things & wind up restricting your motion.

With regard to things like high steps, those are not just flexibility but also the muscle training to move into the position. For that, I think you do have to do specific training.

To answer what I see as your implied question is: “Yes, specific stretching only helps specific moves.”

“General flexibility” is a myth similar to “general strength” and “spot fat reduction”. You get only what you work for.

hafilax

Jun 8, 2009, 5:29 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're not gaining flexibility from stretching you're not stretching properly.

After a few months of yoga classes I went from touching just below my knees to touching my toes.

If you're talking about move specific flexibility you have to find stretching positions that work the weakness you're trying to improve. The nice thing about stretching is that you can do it on your rest days. You can work on loosening up your high step away from climbing.

heidt410

Jun 8, 2009, 7:08 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Any stretching that actually..well works? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mix in some dynamic stretching moves if your just doing static. Yoga is great. Every person has a limit though due to bone structure.

seatbeltpants

Jun 8, 2009, 8:12 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Any stretching that actually..well works? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
If you're not gaining flexibility from stretching you're not stretching properly.

After a few months of yoga classes I went from touching just below my knees to touching my toes.

If you're talking about move specific flexibility you have to find stretching positions that work the weakness you're trying to improve. The nice thing about stretching is that you can do it on your rest days. You can work on loosening up your high step away from climbing.

absolutely agree. i've gained a huge amount of flexibility through stretching for 30 - 60 minutes a couple of times a week. no dramas to do on my rest days in front of the tv, though the cat looks at me strangely.

steve

aerili

Jun 8, 2009, 8:21 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

angeleyes wrote:

Hard evidence is revealing more and more that stretching actually does not reduce injury. There are a lot of complex facets within that statement, however.

Dynamic flexibility (i.e. your examples of throwing your leg over your bike or doing a high kick) isn't as dependent on statically stretching as you may think and perhaps that is why you haven't seen much benefit from stretching statically within those types of motions.

Stretching is far from useless for increasing flexibility, however. (And I find it weird you state you find it useless and yet beneficial "after warm up".... Um, for what?)

I do believe some muscles are more amenable to being lengthened and retaining that length than other muscles. (A physical therapist friend backed up my thoughts on this, but I don't know the specifics of any data on that.)

If you want to get more flexible, you should:

* be very warm prior to stretching
* preferably do it after activity, not before
* concentrate on the areas you truly need to become more flexible
* be consistent

Most research shows there is no difference in flexibility outcome between holding a stretch 30 seconds or 2 minutes, so you might as well do the shorter time. You can also do repeated stretches using this shorter duration.

PNF (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation) and/or CRAC (contract relax agonist contract) methods of stretching typically show greater increases in flexibility than just holding it statically.

desertwanderer81

Jun 8, 2009, 8:33 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Any stretching that actually..well works? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for that advice! I've always been looking to become more flexible but really had little direction in doing so.

onceahardman

Jun 8, 2009, 9:42 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Any stretching that actually..well works? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I do believe some muscles are more amenable to being lengthened and retaining that length than other muscles. (A physical therapist friend backed up my thoughts on this, but I don't know the specifics of any data on that.)

I think, in general, you will find muscles which cross two joints ( hamstrings, gastrocs) tend to respond well to correct stretching. I don't think I was your PT friend in this instance, though Cool

I echo your statement about stretching not limiting injuries. I have said it several times here, it's better to be just a little too tight than a little too loose.

Tight can be strong. Loose is never strong.

serpico

Jun 9, 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #10 of 10 (1778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Any stretching that actually..well works? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I agree with everything posted by OAHM and Aerili, and would add that it's of no functional use stretching your hamstrings/glutes/etc to gain the range of motion to enable a high step, if you don't: strengthen their antagonists to be able to lift the leg into this new position, and strengthen the newly stretched agonists to have strength at this new muscle length.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook