RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

wbecher

Jan 21, 2009, 5:54 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2591 views)
Shortcut

Recovery from rotator cuff surgery
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a partial tear and getting arthro to repair it and shave a bone constriction.. I know that you need to follow the pt instructions and not overdo it to avoid reinjury during recovery.. but i'm just wondering how soon it's likely that i can safely get back to climbing. 4 months? 6 months? a year?

anyone with experiences with this? Thanks.Frown

onceahardman

Jan 21, 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wbecher] Recovery from rotator cuff surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wbecher wrote:
I have a partial tear and getting arthro to repair it and shave a bone constriction.. I know that you need to follow the pt instructions and not overdo it to avoid reinjury during recovery.. but i'm just wondering how soon it's likely that i can safely get back to climbing. 4 months? 6 months? a year?

anyone with experiences with this? Thanks.Frown

I've treated lots of these, both pre-and-post op.

Once you have made the decision for surgery, you have put your shoulder in the hands of the surgeon. He or she is much more intimately familiar with exactly how much damage exists, and what was repaired. The surgeon is, unfortunately, the only person to ask.

I'm really sorry to be non-responsive. The only objective information I have to offer is that many surgeons will say that after two years, all potential healing can generally be said to have been completed.

The bone spur adds complexity, and time. Was the surgery described as a "subacromial decompression?"

Do your rehab. Focus on improvement, rather than on time, or on how much you have lost.

4 months would be an exceptionally good outcome.

I hope you will post back regarding your progress, and tell us when you finally get to climb again. Specific questions regarding your rehabilitation, I'd be happy to answer. But how long it takes, I can't know that. Best of luck.

wbecher

Jan 21, 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the reply, yes it is a subacromial decompression in addition to a partial tear of the suprasplinatus (sp?).. My surgeon only does shoulders, so I've got the right guy.... I'm 62 so the recovery will probably be longer than standard..reality is it will probably be at least a year.. i'm just trying to prepare myself for a long time away from climbing.. i'm a freelance journalist/photographer so this will be my chance to work on that novel. I'll keep you posted..

onceahardman

Jan 21, 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill, subacromial decompressions can be very rough (read:painful).

It's not uncommon for people to wonder for several months whether they have made a wise decision.

Just be ready for this. It will improve again, but you are probably in for an uncomfortable stretch.

supraspinatus is the most commonly injured cuff muscle. If you look at the scapula from behind, there is a spine running diagonally up toward the socket (glenoid fossa). The name supraspinatus means the muscle above (supra) the spine of the scapula.

timd

Jan 23, 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Recovery from rotator cuff surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was climbing again after six months but each person is different. Do not do shit until you are cleared to do so by the doctor. If you try to do too much too fast you can put yourself back to square one. Good luck and I wish you the best in your recovery.

wbecher

Mar 19, 2009, 11:42 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had the surgery the first week of March.. turned out to be repair of partial tear, clean up of blown biceps tendon and partial decompression..
I asked the doc for a dvd of the operation.. and I edited it down and posted on youtube.
see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcLwYdCOfnI

Feeling pretty good, but trying not to do too much.. PT starts next week...

onceahardman

Mar 20, 2009, 3:25 AM
Post #7 of 14 (2348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Bill,

Hey, it's a great sign that you are feeling pretty good. Your first PT session should consist of measuring your ROM, and maybe your strength, depending on how much motion you have, along with teaching you an early home exercise program.

If you are not doing any exercise, even if it's just ROM, within the first couple visits, let me know. You don't want the PT just doing the "hot pack, ultrasound, e-stim, cold pack" treatment.

I'll help to the extent I can. Good luck!

wbecher

Jun 8, 2009, 4:29 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Well, three months after surgery I led a 5.5 two pitch climb at Black Wall in Sespe Gorge...I'm also climbing easy stuff at local gym... I have an occasional minor twinge but basicly no pain in the shoulder.. I'm pretty amazed it went this well.. I was prepared to be away from climbing for at least 6 months.. I did EXACTLY what the PT told me and it went really well. I'm done with PT and doc has signed me off for all activities.. Still doing shoulder exercises (both shoulders, trying to avoid new problems in my "good" shoulder...

Thanks for the advice!

Bill

onceahardman

Jun 8, 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats, Bill, it's always nice to hear success stories.

Remember to keep up rotator cuff strengthening-forever. People tend to lose blood supply to the cuff with aging. Exercise delays that loss.

wbecher

Jun 8, 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, will do.. i think one of the reasons for the fast recovery is that i did some hard interval training on my bike set up on a trainer soon after surgery and have been doing same on road and mountain bike as soon as i could ride them.. my shoulder always seemed to feel better after hard exercise.. promotes blood flow to shoulder???

eviljay

Jun 8, 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had surgery for a partial tear and was climbing slabby stuff after three months. At about four months I was climbing as normal. It took about two years for my shoulder to feel as good as it did pre tear. Do the PT religiously.

gogo

Jun 11, 2009, 1:48 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eviljay] Recovery from rotator cuff surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Surgery for a torn labrum with associated subacrominial decompression and bursectomy 6 1/2 months ago.

At four months I was weight training with a decent amount of weight, focused on doing movement in PT that simulate climbing.

At five months I started light slab climbing, and added a little each session.
At 6 1/2 months I'm feelin ok on vertical rock up to easy 5.11, movements that aren't ok are really obvious.

Range of motion for some directions (external rotation, specifically) is still low compared to the other one, but I'm pretty happy with the results. Granted, I also had surgery pretty young (22).

wbecher

Jun 11, 2009, 3:07 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gogo] Recovery from rotator cuff surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

eviljay: glad you had good results.. I had my surgery at 62..(Doc said at first I was too old.. but wasn't ready to quit climbing) ..my ROM is pretty good..

lenny888

Jul 13, 2009, 2:45 PM
Post #14 of 14 (1774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi!...
Just be ready for this. It will improve again, but you are probably in for an uncomfortable stretch.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook