Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

VFV

Jun 17, 2009, 1:33 PM
Post #1 of 54 (10926 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by VFV
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

wallace

Jun 17, 2009, 1:47 PM
Post #2 of 54 (10907 views)
Shortcut

Re: [VFV] Building TR Anchor on a Staple Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A staple is only a single anchor point. If the surrounding rock has a fault, both legs are likely to come out together, given enough force.

Use a single staple in combination with another point or points for your anchor, as you would any single bolt.

cheers, Andy

swaghole

Jun 17, 2009, 2:42 PM
Post #3 of 54 (10872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [VFV] Building TR Anchor on a Staple Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

VFV wrote:
Is there a best practice for building a top rope anchor on a staple bolt? I would guess two slings girth hitched to either side of the bolt and then tied together with an overhand to form a master point? Or a cordellete (tied with fisherman's knot) then tied to either side of the staple with bowlines on a bight? thanks in advance.

I assume you are talking about this type of large staple pictured below. Just anchor on it just like you would with 2 bolts. I like to girth hitch a cordelette loop around one leg of the staple. Then I wrap the other end a few times around the other leg and then use a locking biner to finish off (clip it back around the cordelette). Tie a figure 8 on a bite in your cordelette for a redundant powerpoint.

shoo

Jun 17, 2009, 2:50 PM
Post #4 of 54 (10862 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swaghole] Building TR Anchor on a Staple Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget to sling the diet pepsi extra long.

altelis

Jun 17, 2009, 3:08 PM
Post #5 of 54 (10841 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wallace] Building TR Anchor on a Staple Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wallace wrote:
A staple is only a single anchor point. If the surrounding rock has a fault, both legs are likely to come out together, given enough force.

Use a single staple in combination with another point or points for your anchor, as you would any single bolt.

cheers, Andy

I don't know for sure, but my understanding is that the two legs of the staple are far enough apart from each other that they are just as redundant as a two bolt anchor. That is, if well set, both arms of the staple are just as likely to rip as two bolts that are configured to be part of an anchor.

Those staple legs are FAR. The only real advantages that I know about for the staples are that they are long and therefor work better in potentially weaker rock and that they don't require the use of a biner on that end- you can just tie the cord/rope/webbing directly to the arm....

shoo

Jun 17, 2009, 3:49 PM
Post #6 of 54 (10816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Building TR Anchor on a Staple Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends on the kind of staple bolt we're talking about here. There are short, U-bolts, and longer cornered staples.

I've never seen that longer type. For the life of me, I have no idea why anyone would choose to place the longer staple variety instead of two separate glue-ins. It's more redundant, reduces visual impact, and is easier to get to the crag than a big steel bar. Anyone want to shed some light on this?

U-bolts (pictured below) are usually considered a single point of protection.

For the longer type, I would imagine that it is acceptable to use them as either two separate pieces or a single piece for TR anchors, but I'll let someone who actually uses these chime in.

altelis

Jun 17, 2009, 3:53 PM
Post #7 of 54 (10808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Building TR Anchor on a Staple Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
It depends on the kind of staple bolt we're talking about here. There are short, U-bolts, and longer cornered staples.

I've never seen that longer type. For the life of me, I have no idea why anyone would choose to place the longer staple variety instead of two separate glue-ins. It's more redundant, reduces visual impact, and is easier to get to the crag than a big steel bar. Anyone want to shed some light on this?

[image]http://www.climb.co.nz/References/Bolting/U_Bolt_Problem.jpg[/image]

For the longer type, I would imagine that it is acceptable to use them as either two separate pieces or a single piece for TR anchors, but I'll let someone who actually uses these chime in.

the only place i've seen the longer staple types is at otter cliffs in acadia and there i was informed by the local guides that using them as one piece was acceptable. take that for whatever you think its worth.....and i have no real idea why they were placed verses other alternatives...

acorneau

Jun 17, 2009, 4:00 PM
Post #8 of 54 (10802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

swaghole wrote:
I assume you are talking about this type of large staple pictured below.

Holy crap! Where are these kind of "staples" used? Looks like something that would be used for a via feratta ladder.

If I came across something like this (very unexpectedly!) I would probably either girth hitch a couple of slings around the rod where it's closest to the rock or clove hitch the folded ends of a cordelette (with biners on the ends to prevent untying).

marc801

Jun 17, 2009, 4:02 PM
Post #9 of 54 (10802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
shoo wrote:

the only place i've seen the longer staple types is at otter cliffs in acadia and there i was informed by the local guides that using them as one piece was acceptable. take that for whatever you think its worth.....and i have no real idea why they were placed verses other alternatives...

The were placed in only one small, heavily used, area at Otter Cliffs to preserve the few trees that are there. They are massive - 3/4" diameter or more? - and the two legs far apart. There are no issues in using them as a single point anchor. There are situations were redundancy is not necessary.

As far as "hauling them to the cliff": it's at the top of a sea cliff, as is the road, and about a 45 second walk from where you park.

(This post was edited by marc801 on Jun 17, 2009, 4:03 PM)

altelis

Jun 17, 2009, 4:09 PM
Post #10 of 54 (10788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Building TR Anchor on a Staple Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
altelis wrote:
shoo wrote:

The were placed in only one small, heavily used, area at Otter Cliffs to preserve the few trees that are there. They are massive - 3/4" diameter or more? - and the two legs far apart. There are no issues in using them as a single point anchor. There are situations were redundancy is not necessary.

As far as "hauling them to the cliff": it's at the top of a sea cliff, as is the road, and about a 45 second walk from where you park.

I'm really not picking a fight, as I don't CARE that the spelling is terrible- but are you DRUNK right now? 'Cause you edited that post and it's still barely readable!Tongue

marc801

Jun 17, 2009, 4:29 PM
Post #11 of 54 (10771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
marc801 wrote:
altelis wrote:
shoo wrote:

I'm really not picking a fight, as I don't CARE that the spelling is terrible- but are you DRUNK right now? 'Cause you edited that post and it's still barely readable!Tongue
What is it that you don't understand? And other than the first word incorrectly being "the" instead of the intended "they", what's misspelled?

swaghole

Jun 17, 2009, 4:29 PM
Post #12 of 54 (10771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"marc801 wrote:

I had never seen them used anywhere before so I took a picture (with the Pepsi bottle for size reference).
I'd say that these are the most idiot-proof top anchors I've seen. Since the area (Otter Cliff) is so easily accessible, lots of gumbys climb there. Must help maintain a low rate of cratering.

(This post was edited by swaghole on Jun 17, 2009, 4:29 PM)

marc801

Jun 17, 2009, 4:34 PM
Post #13 of 54 (10766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

swaghole wrote:
I had never seen them used anywhere before...
Neither have I.

swaghole wrote:
I'd say that these are the most idiot-proof top anchors I've seen. Since the area (Otter Cliff) is so easily accessible, lots of gumbys climb there. Must help maintain a low rate of cratering.
Never underestimate the creativity of idiots!

bill413

Jun 17, 2009, 7:38 PM
Post #14 of 54 (10714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

swaghole wrote:
"marc801 wrote:

I had never seen them used anywhere before so I took a picture (with the Pepsi bottle for size reference).
I think the other advantage (besides helping those folks who would only clip one bolt as an anchor) is that they are pretty visible when you're looking for a place to anchor. So, those new to the area would find them before slinging the trees.

hafilax

Jun 17, 2009, 8:12 PM
Post #15 of 54 (10693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Building TR Anchor on a Staple Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My bet is that those see a LOT of direct top rope action. As in the rope running over the staple with no other gear.

altelis

Jun 18, 2009, 2:55 AM
Post #16 of 54 (10659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Building TR Anchor on a Staple Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
My bet is that those see a LOT of direct top rope action. As in the rope running over the staple with no other gear.

not any of the times i was climbing there....too far from the edge. you would destroy your rope fast!

marc801

Jun 18, 2009, 3:35 AM
Post #17 of 54 (10643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
hafilax wrote:

not any of the times i was climbing there....too far from the edge. you would destroy your rope fast!
Without extending to the edge, I'm not sure you could even move the rope on a slingshot belay!

hafilax

Jun 18, 2009, 3:56 AM
Post #18 of 54 (10631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't necessarily mean that one in particular. I was thinking more of the design in general.

marc801

Jun 18, 2009, 4:02 AM
Post #19 of 54 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Building TR Anchor on a Staple Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As we've mentioned, the only place they've ever been seen is in Acadia NP.

majid_sabet

Jun 18, 2009, 4:53 AM
Post #20 of 54 (10603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Building TR Anchor on a Staple Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:

what is the KN spec on this U bolts and what sizes do they come ? I mean how far do you hammer them in and what do you use to glue them in if any.

thanks

bill413

Jun 18, 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #21 of 54 (10564 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Building TR Anchor on a Staple Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
what is the KN spec on this U bolts and what sizes do they come ? I mean how far do you hammer them in and what do you use to glue them in if any.

Well, obviously, you would use a large staple gun.

swaghole

Jun 18, 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #22 of 54 (10555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
shoo wrote:

thanks

I was told by a local guide (Jeff) that the 'legs' on those staples were glued in and went down about 18 inches in the granite.

USnavy

Jun 18, 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #23 of 54 (10542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
shoo wrote:

thanks
Staple bolts are still semi-prototype in nature. We get them direct from the manufacturer and the manufacturer will cut them to any length or size we desire. Generally you do not need to hammer the bolts in because the holes are larger than the bolt diameter. We have two sizes. The first is about 3" long and the second is about 4.25" long. They will hold 25 - 50 kN in shear depending on the strength of the rock. In all cases I have seen, properly installed staple bolts are stronger then the rock. I have never seen or heard of a staple bolt failing before the rock failed. We use the Powers brand Power Fast + epoxy to install the bolts.

http://www.powers.com/product_08402.html

altelis

Jun 18, 2009, 1:35 PM
Post #24 of 54 (10515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Building TR Anchor on a Staple Bolt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info, but i'm pretty sure that MS was asking about the long staple bolts found at Otter cliffs and not about the star bolts that you have pictured.

MS, if you really want to know i'm sure that any of the guides in Bar Harbor would know, or you could contact the Acadia NPS.

shoo

Jun 18, 2009, 2:13 PM
Post #25 of 54 (9504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Majid specifically said U bolts.

And to Majid, I have no clue. I have no experience with placing glue-ins.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook