Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

onceahardman

Jun 18, 2009, 2:22 AM
Post #26 of 55 (2162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trafla] percentage of falls you've gotten injured from [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've had closer calls for serious injury driving to and from the crag.

Closing speeds of 120+ mph, seperated by <10 feet from oncoming traffic? Dicey.

nhgill

Jun 18, 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #27 of 55 (2141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

100%
but it's only my pride that is injured. In truth I've taken a few bad falls that should have been serious (Blew my second piece trying to down climb something I shouldn't have been on on the Hurdie Gurdie Block (sp?) at the 'Gunks and cratered) but I've been very lucky and not gotten hurt. That being said, I try very hard not to fall, I stick to leading 5.8 and 5.9 here in NH and most of the climbs at this level do not have particularly clean falls.
-HTG

Hooky

Jun 19, 2009, 9:47 AM
Post #28 of 55 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Me, 100%. I never fell when belayed and fell once when free soloing. Sucks.

swoopee

Jun 21, 2009, 7:04 PM
Post #29 of 55 (2056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Except for minor scrapes, cuts, and bruises I've never been injured in a fall. I know two people that have broken ankles taking severe lead falls outdoors and two people that have broken ankles bouldering in the gym. My best friend fell and broke both arms on a golf course. Stop worrying, go climb, and stay off the golf course.

MapleSyrup

Jun 21, 2009, 9:53 PM
Post #30 of 55 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swoopee] percentage of falls you've gotten injured from [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

swoopee wrote:
I know ... and two people that have broken ankles bouldering in the gym.

wow i can't see how you could break an ankle bouldering at the gym

silascl

Jun 21, 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #31 of 55 (2029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MapleSyrup] percentage of falls you've gotten injured from [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MapleSyrup wrote:
swoopee wrote:

It's pretty easy, land right on the edge of a big pad.

I saw it happen once too, can't remember if it was broken or badly sprained but the recovery time is pretty similar.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jun 22, 2009, 2:39 AM
Post #32 of 55 (2007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trafla wrote:
Speaking very loosely my general impression is about 80% of the time on a moderate trad fall (say up to 12 foot) you can expect some kind of moderate (maybe a sprain or similar) to serious injury (hospital time).

How on earth did you come up with an 80% injury figure! If that was the case, they'd have to have ambulances lying in wait on summer weekends at major climbing crags.

I've never been hurt climbing. Fall on lead:
- Several on a 5.7 route, clean fall with no injury
- Fell on p1 of Frog's Head(5.6-) - no injury, but thank god for that little nut, for if he hadn't held I would probably have smacked my leg on a ledge
- Had a 20+ foot fall(oh yeah....) on Moondance(5.5), clean fall with no injury, although my belayer may very well have gotten poopie pants. If so, she never let on. Damned stretchy doubles......

bill413

Jun 22, 2009, 3:18 AM
Post #33 of 55 (1999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] percentage of falls you've gotten injured from [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
- Fell on p1 of Frog's Head(5.6-) - no injury, but thank god for that little nut, for if he hadn't held I would probably have smacked my leg on a ledge

Wow. I've always found the crux of FH a little disconcerting - I figured if you blew the crux move, you'd hit the ledge. That's why I prefer Maria. Wink

In reply to:
- Had a 20+ foot fall(oh yeah....) on Moondance(5.5), clean fall with no injury, although my belayer may very well have gotten poopie pants. If so, she never let on. Damned stretchy doubles......
Nice to have survived that without mishap (except for having to ride in car with partner on way home Tongue)

(This post was edited by bill413 on Jun 22, 2009, 3:18 AM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Jun 22, 2009, 5:38 AM
Post #34 of 55 (1982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] percentage of falls you've gotten injured from [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I placed a nut for the crux, and a smaller one a bit lower for backup. Thankfully, my belayer was on it, and I was being mindful too. Otherwise.....

I backed off after trying again(and not being willing to take another fall); that was 2 seasons ago. I finally led p2 last week, but still need to go for the first one on lead again. I won't be falling; that's for sure. No reason to tempt fate.

desertwanderer81

Jun 22, 2009, 4:40 PM
Post #35 of 55 (1957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MapleSyrup wrote:
swoopee wrote:

People break ankles just walking all of the time. Why would this be surprising?

fxgranite

Jun 22, 2009, 5:38 PM
Post #36 of 55 (1948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] percentage of falls you've gotten injured from [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm I may be in the minority in that most of the trad falls I've taken have resulted in serious injury. This is purely because the numbers are so low. I think I've only ever taken one fall on trad and I clipped a ledge with my ankle. I usually just get on easy stuff with trad and push my limits on sport. I'm a pussy.

Sport, lots of falls, no injuries.

Bouldering, nothing serious but more than sport.

ryanb

Jun 22, 2009, 6:12 PM
Post #37 of 55 (1933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

80% is way high, but only serious accidents tend to get reported.

I have been trad leading since i was a pre-teen and have been hurt twice, one bruised heal/sprained ankle falling from below the first piece and one sprained ankle crack bouldering in new shoes that didn't come out of the crack.

I have taken a lot of falls on gear, including some onto ledges and a couple onto the ground when a gear placement did not materialize.

I used to spend a lot of time solo bouldering so I am good at evaluating a landing area and knowing when and how to "jump down" instead of fully falling... in the ground fall case I was ok pushing into that situation because the landing was a forest floor covered with a thick carpet of leaves and duff.

There are certainly times on ledgy terrain where a fall is to be avoided at all costs. I caught a fall in one of these situations many years ago...a 30+ foot, past the belay tumbler on low angle choss. We got lucky, It resulted in a some blood that could have been avoided with a helmet and a sprained ankle for the third who got hit by the falling leader. We were able to self rescue, carry/hobble the third out a couple of miles and learn from the situation.

jt512

Jun 22, 2009, 8:41 PM
Post #38 of 55 (1903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MapleSyrup wrote:
swoopee wrote:

Troll.

jiriarte

Jun 22, 2009, 9:23 PM
Post #39 of 55 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ego gets injured in every fallPirate

swoopee

Jun 22, 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #40 of 55 (1874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [silascl] percentage of falls you've gotten injured from [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

silascl wrote:
MapleSyrup wrote:
swoopee wrote:

It's pretty easy, land right on the edge of a big pad.

I saw it happen once too, can't remember if it was broken or badly sprained but the recovery time is pretty similar.

That's it exactly. Both landed on the edge of a pad and rolled their ankle, and snap.

Partner robdotcalm

Jun 23, 2009, 3:42 AM
Post #41 of 55 (1857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MapleSyrup wrote:
swoopee wrote:

That's the kind of attitude that can get you into trouble. Problem is that it's easy to turn your brain off in the gym. It got me into trouble, stupid accident

I had climbed for 37 years with a few scratches and some mildly sprained ankles, and then a serious injury in a gym.

For the record here, I've taken hundreds of falls outside on moderate traditional routes and have not any serious results. I did cut my scalp once when I flipped over. Bloody, but a superficial injury.

r.c

skiclimb

Jun 23, 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #42 of 55 (1837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] percentage of falls you've gotten injured from [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Outside of one nasty ropeburn to the back of my knee when I first started sport climbing years ago..the occasional scrape or bruise..none of which seem in my mind to rise to the level of noteworth "injury".. 0% That ropeburn was kinda nasty and scabbed up pretty good some minor loss of mobility for a few days.. so maybe ..hmm gotta be less than 1 in 500 hard to say.

if you were to count even these then I'd say something like 1 in 20 falls ends in a scrape..dunno.. bruises... well I get bruises sleeping it seems.. dunno where I pick up half the bruise I seem to get in everyday life.. but I'd say 1 in 10ish.

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Jun 23, 2009, 1:01 PM)

skiclimb

Jun 23, 2009, 1:07 PM
Post #43 of 55 (1832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cclarke] percentage of falls you've gotten injured from [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cclarke wrote:
0% over hundreds of falls but there have been some close calls and it only takes one to end it all.

Yeah that's what tends to occur to me on a regular basis..

Falling can be a safe and fun part of working on a problem. Might fall 20 times in a couple hours working on one move on a boulder or sport line.

Then there those (many) places where a fall simply is NOT an option..done lots of that too...

Never have fallen when it mattered but have come a lot closer than I'd like a handful of times.

king_rat

Jun 23, 2009, 1:45 PM
Post #44 of 55 (1822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I could not tell you how many falls I have taken(been climbing for 15 years), probably in the 1000’s.

Apart from minor scrapes and burses I have only had two significant injuries. I’ve broken my ankle once and cracked a bone in my elbow. Both were probably avoidable, or I made a decision to accept the risk involved.

When I broke my leg I was on a slab which was quite run out and the first peace of gear was at about 6 meters off the ground, I fell landing on a small boulder.

When I broke my elbow, I hit a block protruding from the rock. I should have looked what was below before I fell.

I can’t see how you would be injured in 80% of falls. If this was the case almost all climbers would be injured within their first few months of climbing and their bodies would be broken within a few years.

(This post was edited by king_rat on Jun 23, 2009, 1:48 PM)

mushroom

Jun 28, 2009, 6:54 PM
Post #45 of 55 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Each climb is so unique that you can't legitimately make an injuries to number of falls ratio. Rock climbing is all about using your judgment, part of which includes knowing what your fall will be like.

Trad leading includes lots of systems, number one is the quality of your pro, number two is your belay, then you have things like keeping track of how much gear you have left, managing rope drag, maintaining communication, watching the weather develop, and definitely managing your potential fall. Along with the 50 million other things I'm keeping track of on lead, I'm constantly looking down to see what my fall will be like should it occur. This is crucial buddy! If you take even a small, clean fall but get your rope gets stuck behind your leg, that sudden inversion could cause you to break a vertebrae! Falling isn't casual--proper application of the fall is reserved for the best and smartest of the trad leaders. Any gumby can climb easy shit all day!

A good trad leader knows how to fall. I've taken like 5 trad falls or something over 4 years (3 in the last month since I started pushing 5.9 and 5.10), and I've never injured myself. I've collected scrapes and even banged my nuts once while falling but never had to deal with ankle injuries or the like (from a trad fall). (1) This is because I put a lot of thought into my fall potential. (2) Also because I fall on hard shit (a 5.5 fall scares the bejesus out of me!).

I was scared off a 5.7 at the gunks once because it was raining and the crux had shitty pro--it was a traverse across thin, wet, semi-sloping holds with one mank .75 camalot, the next piece being all the way around a corner. I left a sling and bailed, injury wasn't worth it! You only get one body...

Falling is part of the game, and once you get confidence in your gear and you know what may hold, then you can accurately predict what will happen when you fall. If you know how to tumble right, you can even take a short fall onto a ledge and tumble backward safely (finishing inverted). Also, 12 feet is hardly moderate. It's more like the end of short. 5 feet above your gear? That's having the gear 2 feet below your feet. You're going to need a triple rack if you want to place that much gear for 200ft! I'd say a 20 footer is moderate, but it's all opinion/perspective!

Don't get all psyched out on reports and stuff, the truth to falling on trad is that it is a completely unique experience each time. Falling safely is totally possible, and those are the only falls I regularly expose myself to. Climb harder and climb safer; avoid routes with tricky pro until you can place super clever pro. Exposing yourself to dangerous falls is the sport of fools!

Be paranoid about taking a fall! Broken ankles fucking suck! It means no climbing and muscle atrophy! Just be smart and feel free to risk falls when it's safe, the gear was meant for that. You'll never progress through the harder grades unless you take some falls.

Falls eventually become fun, I think so anyway. The flip side is that it means that you have to reclimb that hard section that just spit you off (the 5.9 ow of East Butt of El Cap is coming to mind.....).

I'd like to end these words of wisdom with a quote:
"Looking back upon the climb, we find out greatest satisfaction in having demonstrated, at least to ourselves, that by the proper application of climbing technique extremely difficult ascents can be made in safety.... If any member of the party had fallen, his injuries would, at the worst, have been a few scratches and bruises."
--Bestor Robinson, ruminating on the 1934 climb of the Higher Cathedral Spire (taken from Roper's Camp 4)

(This post was edited by mushroom on Jun 28, 2009, 6:59 PM)

jt512

Jun 28, 2009, 7:52 PM
Post #46 of 55 (1758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mushroom] percentage of falls you've gotten injured from [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mushroom wrote:
Each climb is so unique that you can't legitimately make an injuries to number of falls ratio. Rock climbing is all about using your judgment, part of which includes knowing what your fall will be like.

Trad leading includes lots of systems, number one is the quality of your pro, number two is your belay, then you have things like keeping track of how much gear you have left, managing rope drag, maintaining communication, watching the weather develop, and definitely managing your potential fall. Along with the 50 million other things I'm keeping track of on lead, I'm constantly looking down to see what my fall will be like should it occur. This is crucial buddy! If you take even a small, clean fall but get your rope gets stuck behind your leg, that sudden inversion could cause you to break a vertebrae! Falling isn't casual--proper application of the fall is reserved for the best and smartest of the trad leaders. Any gumby can climb easy shit all day!

A good trad leader knows how to fall. I've taken like 5 trad falls or something over 4 years (3 in the last month since I started pushing 5.9 and 5.10), and I've never injured myself. I've collected scrapes and even banged my nuts once while falling but never had to deal with ankle injuries or the like (from a trad fall). (1) This is because I put a lot of thought into my fall potential. (2) Also because I fall on hard shit (a 5.5 fall scares the bejesus out of me!).

I was scared off a 5.7 at the gunks once because it was raining and the crux had shitty pro--it was a traverse across thin, wet, semi-sloping holds with one mank .75 camalot, the next piece being all the way around a corner. I left a sling and bailed, injury wasn't worth it! You only get one body...

Falling is part of the game, and once you get confidence in your gear and you know what may hold, then you can accurately predict what will happen when you fall. If you know how to tumble right, you can even take a short fall onto a ledge and tumble backward safely (finishing inverted). Also, 12 feet is hardly moderate. It's more like the end of short. 5 feet above your gear? That's having the gear 2 feet below your feet. You're going to need a triple rack if you want to place that much gear for 200ft! I'd say a 20 footer is moderate, but it's all opinion/perspective!

Don't get all psyched out on reports and stuff, the truth to falling on trad is that it is a completely unique experience each time. Falling safely is totally possible, and those are the only falls I regularly expose myself to. Climb harder and climb safer; avoid routes with tricky pro until you can place super clever pro. Exposing yourself to dangerous falls is the sport of fools!

Be paranoid about taking a fall! Broken ankles fucking suck! It means no climbing and muscle atrophy! Just be smart and feel free to risk falls when it's safe, the gear was meant for that. You'll never progress through the harder grades unless you take some falls.

Falls eventually become fun, I think so anyway. The flip side is that it means that you have to reclimb that hard section that just spit you off (the 5.9 ow of East Butt of El Cap is coming to mind.....).

I'd like to end these words of wisdom with a quote:
"Looking back upon the climb, we find out greatest satisfaction in having demonstrated, at least to ourselves, that by the proper application of climbing technique extremely difficult ascents can be made in safety.... If any member of the party had fallen, his injuries would, at the worst, have been a few scratches and bruises."
--Bestor Robinson, ruminating on the 1934 climb of the Higher Cathedral Spire (taken from Roper's Camp 4)

The gap between the quantity of your advice the amount of experience you have with the subject matter is vast, even by rc.com standards.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jun 29, 2009, 2:11 AM)

mushroom

Jun 28, 2009, 8:30 PM
Post #47 of 55 (1747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] percentage of falls you've gotten injured from [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to the internet.com, and more relevantly rc.noob. Thank you for adding another page to the thread just so you could highlight something that everyone could read themselves.

jt512

Jun 29, 2009, 2:10 AM
Post #48 of 55 (1735 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mushroom] percentage of falls you've gotten injured from [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mushroom wrote:
Welcome to the internet.com, and more relevantly rc.noob. Thank you for adding another page to the thread just so you could highlight something that everyone could read themselves.

Thank you for your PM, your concern about my post count, and how often I get out to climb.

In an unsolicited PM, mushroom wrote:
by being less trite and smart ass you may be able to reduce the overall banter of rc.noob. instead of pages and pages of bullshit, people might be able to get their answers. but this will keep you from reaching 20,000 posts this year. it's a tough dilemma, I know

Nick

p.s. get outside and climb, eh?

Jay

marc801

Jun 29, 2009, 3:56 AM
Post #49 of 55 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] percentage of falls you've gotten injured from [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
- Had a 20+ foot fall(oh yeah....) on Moondance(5.5), clean fall with no injury,...
If you're taking lead falls regularly on 5.5 - 5.7 in the Gunks, you really, really, need to stop, take a deep breath, and reassess your climbing and how fast/hard you're pushing for your ability level. Then drop it back a couple of notches to 5.3s or easy 4's. Keep in mind that Frog's Head, Shockley's, and Disneyland were all considered Gunks 5.5s for decades.

20 footer on a Gunks 5.5? Yikes. What a recipe for a shattered leg.

Partner angry

Jun 29, 2009, 4:17 AM
Post #50 of 55 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] percentage of falls you've gotten injured from [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
- Had a 20+ foot fall(oh yeah....) on Moondance(5.5), clean fall with no injury,...
If you're taking lead falls regularly on 5.5 - 5.7 in the Gunks, you really, really, need to stop, take a deep breath, and reassess your climbing and how fast/hard you're pushing for your ability level. Then drop it back a couple of notches to 5.3s or easy 4's. Keep in mind that Frog's Head, Shockley's, and Disneyland were all considered Gunks 5.5s for decades.

20 footer on a Gunks 5.5? Yikes. What a recipe for a shattered leg.

How the fuck are you people falling on 5.6's? Are east coasters all born with one arm and knees that don't bend?

Seriously, I don't get it.

My first 3 trad leads (they were actually my first leads, one of them was a day after I climbed for the first time) were all 5.7. I couldn't have fallen unless I jumped, even though I was a total n00b.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook