Premier Sponsor:

shockabuku

Jun 20, 2009, 3:57 PM
Post #1 of 22 (1334 views)
Shortcut

want to learn to communicate
Report this Post
Can't Post

ive been talking and some reading for a few years now and would like to try writing. is it best to take a class in a school or go with experienced writers to learn What do you think about spell check. is it worth it and is punctuation useful; thanks.

rtwilli4

Jun 20, 2009, 4:05 PM
Post #2 of 22 (1321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] want to learn to communicate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First let me welcome you to the club! You're going to love it if you learn correctly.

It's always best to have a mentor to teach you the letters. If you've already been talking and reading for a few years then you understand the system. You just need to learn how to write safely, and you can really only learn that from experience.

Spell check is great, but you will learn a lot more in the beginning if you use manual editing. Spell check can be disastrous if used incorrectly, and it develops bad habits. It's also quite expensive.

The fact that you are asking about punctuation only reinforces my recommendation to find a mentor to take you writing. It is an essential part of the system we use and without it, you will likely fail miserably.

I will say it one more time. PLEASE have someone teach you in real life, and don't try to learn on the internet!

Good luck and have fun!!

macblaze

Jun 20, 2009, 4:07 PM
Post #3 of 22 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IN my considered (and vastly experienced opinion), I believe that writing should only be taught by professionals. While you can get away with poorly trained writers for long stretches of time without incident, sooner or later it will catch up with you.

Writing is a delicate balance between skill, knowledge and judgment. Every situation will call for a different solution and without proper training, all too often the solutions will be inadequate at best and disastrous at worst.

Don't be an idiot. Start out on the write (Wink) foot and you will be writing well and happily for a long time.

Oh, and be sure to put extra focus on analogy, metaphor and rhetoric: it will save your life.

bill413

Jun 20, 2009, 4:46 PM
Post #4 of 22 (1297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] want to learn to communicate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think rtwilli4 offers some very good advice. I'd like to add that you should be aware that no one way of writing is appropriate for all situations. I think it's a good idea to try and go writing with a number of different people so that you will see different approaches to similar problems. This will increase your repertoir for those situations where your usual mode may not be the best choice for the topic.

There is nothing quite like that feeling of completing your first essay.

Rudmin

Jun 20, 2009, 4:53 PM
Post #5 of 22 (1290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Identify this piece of gear:

Do you think this is a safe set up to write a post with? Would you know how to properly use one if the situation required it?

mr.tastycakes

Jun 20, 2009, 5:21 PM
Post #6 of 22 (1272 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A crusty, old writer once told me that both proper punctuation and syntax are necessary to avoid looking like an idiot. Don't test both at the same time.

rockandlice

Jun 20, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #7 of 22 (1267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr.tastycakes] want to learn to communicate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You're gonna die!

subantz

Jun 20, 2009, 9:18 PM
Post #8 of 22 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rudmin] want to learn to communicate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this one. Its a typewriter. I have seen one of those once at a old persons house back in the 80's.

bill413

Jun 20, 2009, 11:48 PM
Post #9 of 22 (1189 views)
Shortcut

Re: [subantz] want to learn to communicate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

subantz wrote:
I know this one. Its a typewriter. I have seen one of those once at a old persons house back in the 80's.
There's probably one in the writers' museum.

I wonder where you would place it.

(This post was edited by bill413 on Jun 20, 2009, 11:50 PM)

rockandlice

Jun 20, 2009, 11:52 PM
Post #10 of 22 (1184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] want to learn to communicate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it better to use a LOL actively or passively? Also, same question in regards to LMAO's.

I've heard there are quality control issues with ROFLMAO's so I'd rather not hear any suggestions to give them a try.

bill413

Jun 21, 2009, 2:54 AM
Post #11 of 22 (1144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockandlice] want to learn to communicate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockandlice wrote:
Is it better to use a LOL actively or passively? Also, same question in regards to LMAO's.

I've heard there are quality control issues with ROFLMAO's so I'd rather not hear any suggestions to give them a try.
I think that's a wise decision. There are folks who love them, feeling they are the best thing ever. And, they may well fit where nothing else will. But I'd say that you really need a larger base of competence until you can make an informed decision about them. Personally, I find the issue you mentioned somewhat scary, so I try and avoid their use.

As far as active or passive, I think the first rule is whichever way it seems to fit best. I don't think there is any magic that makes active phrasing universally better than passive phrasing, each seems to have it's place.

climbsomething

Jun 21, 2009, 3:12 AM
Post #12 of 22 (1134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LaughLaugh

On behalf of all the word nerds, I thank you.

nhgill

Jun 21, 2009, 11:45 AM
Post #13 of 22 (1097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] want to learn to communicate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I, for one, am firmly against spell checking. Anyone can take up the old spell checker and throw together a properly spelled essay but by doing so they lose the long tradition writing has to offer. Some will argue that a well placed spell checking is necessary when writing some long difficult piece, that there is no other way do get that writing done. I disagree. If someone can not spell the word he or she needs to, than he or she should write something else and leave the word for someone who can spell it.
Spell checkers can also lead to bad habits and poor pieces of writing. Imagine if someone could not spell, but put together a piece of writing with only a spell checker protecting him or her. If he or she makes a poor word choice or inserts the incorrect word into a piece of writing it can create more problems down the road. At the very least some poor editor must revisit the piece, find the incorrect words that are mangling the writing, remove them, and replace them with the correct words. At the most the writer winds up with a miserable, unclear, foolish piece of writing that no one will wish to read and probably should not for fear of incorrectly interpreting the piece.
Traditionalists of the writing world unite. Together with words correctly spelled from experience we will surmount any writing challenge. If we reach a spot where none of our vocabulary will fit, a carefully considered dictionary consultation is appropriate in order to maintain the integrity of the writing.
-HTG

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jun 21, 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #14 of 22 (1090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
ive been talking and some reading for a few years now and would like to try writing. is it best to take a class in a school or go with experienced writers to learn What do you think about spell check. is it worth it and is punctuation useful; thanks.

Self Coached Spelling. (Writing Essentials).

verticon

Jun 21, 2009, 9:14 PM
Post #15 of 22 (1040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it's only one way to find out wether or not is your writing good enough: send it to Adatesman for a pull test

wonderwoman

Jun 22, 2009, 2:31 AM
Post #16 of 22 (1003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moved from General to Campground by WW.

shockabuku

Jun 22, 2009, 2:34 AM
Post #17 of 22 (1000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] want to learn to communicate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:

Apparently you're not good with analogy.Wink

bill413

Jun 22, 2009, 3:34 AM
Post #18 of 22 (993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] want to learn to communicate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Now, I think that writing around the campground is often different than general writing. Campground writing frequently adheres more to the oral tradition than general, all-around writing. Of course, this may be more in line with what the OP has experience with - given that the OP has been speaking for a while. But, is it better to stay in such a specialized area, or should he broaden his skills to be able to handle any situation that comes along (not that he should be pushing all of his skills at the same time).

(This post was edited by bill413 on Jun 22, 2009, 3:34 AM)

wonderwoman

Jun 22, 2009, 3:53 AM
Post #19 of 22 (985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

Apparently you're not good with analogy.Wink

Yes - but I took the stupid GRE anyway!

Climbing is to Communicating as:
General is to Campground?
Meatbomz are to Banzing?
Pancakes are to PTFTW?

damage

Jun 22, 2009, 5:56 AM
Post #20 of 22 (972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

telepathy, all the way

Gmburns2000

Jun 22, 2009, 2:06 PM
Post #21 of 22 (950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:

If you're serious, then there are a few different ways to go about this. Taking a class can certainly help, but it depends on what you're looking to get from that class. Some classes are good in that they teach you something, but some are bad in that they force rules down your throat. Some classes are also good because they give you an opportunity to solicit feedback from other writers, but some classes are also bad because some of the other writers can be malicious as they try to make themselves stand out.

Seriously, how ever you do it, just do it and figure out what you need once you start. That may take a while (it took a few years for me), but once you start to figure things out then it becomes easier to pick and choose the help you need.

Some advice:

- Many people say that you should write what you know. However, that depends on what you're writing. If it's non-fiction, then yes, you probably should write what you know. If it's fiction, then throw that advice out the window. Instead, write what you want to read. This does a couple of things: it allows you to write whatever the hell you want without regard for societal rules (a major block for some people) and; it allows you to find your voice a little easier. If you write what you think is interesting then your writing will be stronger, and others may join you. If you write what others want to read then people will see that your writing is contrived.

- Be personal in what you write and be wholly objective in what you read, including what you've written. Don't let the critic edit while you write (take it personally when the critic gets in your way), but understand that nothing is as beautiful the first time as it could be. Objectivity is the key, particularly when you are hearing someone giving you feedback. Just get it down on paper first and then figure out a way to make it better. It's a process, not perfection. This step does this. That steps does that. Put them together and you get a finished product.

- Don't take criticism personally.

- Read the Strunk and White and understand the "rules" as guidelines.

- Write a lot, particularly the bad stuff. Writing is like climbing in that you need a warmup. Don't be afraid to write complete and utter shit. There have been days when I've wrote something similar to the following: fuck. what to write? window. trees outside the window with a bird it in. fucking bird. wish it would shut up. glad it isn't the jack hammer i hear down the street. maybe the bird will get caught in the jack hammer and both will die. fuck.

- Read a lot, the good and the bad. The good so you know what has been done before. The bad so you know that you can do better (and what never should have been done to begin with).

- Don't be afraid of rejection.

- Understand that writing takes time. You'll put up way too many stinkers early on, and yet they may not be enough to really learn.

- It takes 10,000 hours to master something. Don't even think you're close to mastering it until you've reached that point. Always, always, always, always keep learning.

- Most importantly, be honest. Nabakov once noted the "passion of the scientist and the precision of the artist." The scientist can get everything wrong and people will still believe in him enough so long as he keeps plugging away at something worthwhile. The artist can get away with nothing if he is continually wrong. He loses all credibility if he's making something up. It will be obvious if he's not telling the truth, particularly in fiction.

- Good luck.

stevensaga

Jun 23, 2009, 12:25 AM
Post #22 of 22 (923 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] want to learn to communicate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Wordy Rappinghood" by Tom Tom club says it all...

What are words worth?
What are words worth? - words

Words in papers, words in books
Words on tv, words for crooks
Words of comfort, words of peace
Words to make the fighting cease
Words to tell you what to do
Words are working hard for you
Eat your words but dont go hungry
Words have always nearly hung me

What are words worth?

Words of nuance, words of skill
And words of romance are a thrill
Words are stupid, words are fun
Words can put you on the run

Mots pressx, mots sensx,
Mots qui disent la vit? mots maudits, mots mentis,
Mots qui manquent le fruit desprit

What are words worth?

Its a rap race, with a fast pace
Concrete words, abstract words
Crazy words and lying words
Hazy words and dying words
Words of faith and tell me straight
Rare words and swear words
Good words and bad words

What are words worth?

Words can make you pay and pay
Four-letter words I cannot say
Panty, toilet, dirty devil
Words are trouble, words are subtle
Words of anger, words of hate
Words over here, words out there
In the air and everywhere
Words of wisdom, words of strife
Words that write the book I like
Words wont find no right solution
To the planet earths pollution
Say the right word, make a million
Words are like a certain person
Who cant say what they mean
Dont mean what they say

With a rap rap here and a rap rap there
Here a rap, there a rap
Everywhere a rap rap

Rap it up for the common good
Let us enlist the neighbourhood
Its okay, Ive overstood
This is a wordy rappinghood, okay, bye.

What are words worth?

What are words worth?

Hell stop ... dont stop ... stop.

-------------------------------------------------------
BE WARNED--don't listen to the tune 'cause you won't get it out of your head all day!

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook