Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

tedman

Jun 23, 2009, 2:48 PM
Post #101 of 217 (2032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pfwein] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Pf, just like to say that not everyone thinks you are an idiot. Its pretty clear that your argument is correct. I mean yeah, object A falling 10 feet will generate more force than falling 5 feet. I'm pretty sure thats the entirety of what you are trying to get at. Yes, the difference between 6" and a foot of extension is probly not that much and is debatable weather its worth the knots. Not sure what all the personal attacks and whatnot are for, you are being perfectly reasonable and well spoken. Unless of course the edits are blatant, but I doubt it.

to the dumbfucks that post 'too many wurd! omg! not reeding that!'. this is a bloody forum. with words. its text based, not tv or radio or your grandma reading out loud to you. you came here to read, quit bitching.

And dont just jump on dingus' bandwagon to garner some favor with him. its pretty pathetic, and I seriously doubt he gives a flying fuck how many freetards on this forum worship his shadow. thats what twitter is for.

patto

Jun 23, 2009, 3:44 PM
Post #102 of 217 (2008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Guran] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Guran wrote:
But the real questin (one for the lab?) is:

Does a limiter knot (in a typical situation where one point has failed) reduce the load on the remaining point(s) more than the same knot weakens the sling?
Not really important. Your typical sling even at half strength is still likely to be stronger than your protection. Both of which are likely to be stronger than the fall.

Guran wrote:
One would have to take into account that some of the dynamic properties of the rope might already be "consumed" by the forces that caused the first point to fail.
Not relevant. Energy in the fall has been absord already, as already mentioned if there is no weight in the anchor then there is no concern.

fxgranite wrote:
yeah. Now add 2 feet of climbing rope attaching you to the anchor. Still shock loading? (hint, this is the point that most of us are argueing about. There doesn't seem to be any data on eway or the other.)

You don't need data. Again the physics is really simple. Extension of 1 foot, 2 feet of climbing rope = factor <0.5 fall of belayer. This force can be added to the force on the anchor from the lead fall.

pfwein

Jun 23, 2009, 3:46 PM
Post #103 of 217 (2006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tedman] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tedman--Thanks for the feedback. None of my edits were "artful." They all merely corrected typos or made additional points. I was surprised that some consider that bad form.

Your summary of my point is accurate. It was amazing to get continually challenged and then personally attacked for that. Thanks oahm--you showed me there are some real jerks on this site.

As you note, Dingus's would-be acolytes reliably attack anyone who challenges him, and that's what happened here. Hard to say whether Dingus cares. It's possible he gets a kick out of making outrageous statements and then watching his minions struggle to defend him. There's some power there, in a twisted way. (Not all of the minions' points were absurd and their reasonableness increased with their distance from Dingus's statements, until they became perfectly rational.)

I'd rather be long-winded and correct (about climbing safety) than pithy, humorous, and wrong. I accept that's not a great way to become an rc hero.

glytch

Jun 23, 2009, 4:05 PM
Post #104 of 217 (1996 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
To pfwein:

brevity is the soul of wit.

you, sir, are a windbag.

Well played.

glytch

Jun 23, 2009, 4:11 PM
Post #105 of 217 (1986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:
Just pointing this out so any noobs who care understand this has all been a theoretical pissing match, which strangely seems to have really pissed some people off.

"Pot, meet Kettle."

"Charmed."

pfwein

Jun 23, 2009, 4:14 PM
Post #106 of 217 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [glytch] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, keep your posts brief and witty (haven't seen evidence of that yet, though).
And wrong.
Good luck with that.

hafilax

Jun 23, 2009, 4:25 PM
Post #107 of 217 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:
DMT--Some facts contradict your theory regarding when and why limiter knots were first mentioned in connection with the sliding-x.

The concept of using limiter knots was introduced in print by JL well before any problems with the cordelette came to light. Quoting from Climbing Anchors, J. Long (Chockstone Press, 1993) at p. 70: "To minimize the potential extension in longer equalizing slings, tie an overhand knot in the long leg of the sling, just above the tie-in point."

This is the same book that introduced the cordelette to the American public, to my knowledge. Obviously, Long's mentioning limiter knots with the sliding-x was not to correct any deficiency in the cordelette, as JL recommended the cordelette (In fairness to him, he noted the cordelette equalization was not pefect. See p. 71. And that's obvious to anyone who ever used one.)
You keep missing the point and I'm not sure that you'll ever get it.

DMT's case study of the cordelette was to point out that its development was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. It was the outcome of a gedankenexperiment, much like your arguments, with no empirical evidence. It had been decided that anchors should equalize and have no extension. Turns out that equalization is more important by orders of magnitude and that extension is not a problem at all if there is a dynamic rope in the system. This has been shown with experiments and anecdotally through a lack of accidents attributable to sliding-xs. There is no evidence that limiting knots are needed in any sliding-x setups that people actually use.

The knots in the equalette are more for creating a redundant attachment in an equalizing setup than they are for extension limiting. The redundancy and equalization are the more important aspects and the extension limiting is a side effect and in fact limits the equalization capabilities of the setup which is the primary design goal. Also, by being able to clip single strands instead of using a sliding-x the friction is reduced improving the dynamic equalization.

Again, there have been no anchor failures or injuries attributed to anchor extension. Anchor extension shock loading is not a real world problem.

fxgranite

Jun 23, 2009, 4:42 PM
Post #108 of 217 (1958 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
fxgranite wrote:
yeah. Now add 2 feet of climbing rope attaching you to the anchor. Still shock loading? (hint, this is the point that most of us are argueing about. There doesn't seem to be any data on eway or the other.)

You don't need data. Again the physics is really simple. Extension of 1 foot, 2 feet of climbing rope = factor <0.5 fall of belayer. This force can be added to the force on the anchor from the lead fall.

That was pretty much my conclusion but I'd still like to see the tests done. All my theories seem to get blown to hell by reality.

jt512

Jun 23, 2009, 4:42 PM
Post #109 of 217 (1955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
pfwein wrote:
DMT--Some facts contradict your theory regarding when and why limiter knots were first mentioned in connection with the sliding-x.

The concept of using limiter knots was introduced in print by JL well before any problems with the cordelette came to light. Quoting from Climbing Anchors, J. Long (Chockstone Press, 1993) at p. 70: "To minimize the potential extension in longer equalizing slings, tie an overhand knot in the long leg of the sling, just above the tie-in point."

This is the same book that introduced the cordelette to the American public, to my knowledge. Obviously, Long's mentioning limiter knots with the sliding-x was not to correct any deficiency in the cordelette, as JL recommended the cordelette (In fairness to him, he noted the cordelette equalization was not pefect. See p. 71. And that's obvious to anyone who ever used one.)
You keep missing the point and I'm not sure that you'll ever get it.

DMT's case study of the cordelette was to point out that its development was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. It was the outcome of a gedankenexperiment, much like your arguments, with no empirical evidence. It had been decided that anchors should equalize and have no extension. Turns out that equalization is more important by orders of magnitude and that extension is not a problem at all if there is a dynamic rope in the system. This has been shown with experiments and anecdotally through a lack of accidents attributable to sliding-xs. There is no evidence that limiting knots are needed in any sliding-x setups that people actually use.

The knots in the equalette are more for creating a redundant attachment in an equalizing setup than they are for extension limiting. The redundancy and equalization are the more important aspects and the extension limiting is a side effect and in fact limits the equalization capabilities of the setup which is the primary design goal. Also, by being able to clip single strands instead of using a sliding-x the friction is reduced improving the dynamic equalization.

Again, there have been no anchor failures or injuries attributed to anchor extension. Anchor extension shock loading is not a real world problem.

Your confidence in your conclusions is unjustified in light of the paucity of the data. Sterling doing 6 drops (or whatever) does not settle the question.

Jay

pfwein

Jun 23, 2009, 5:17 PM
Post #110 of 217 (1937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I mostly agree with everything you've written on this thread. My only contention, which is a quibble at this point, is that you think I'm missing something, which you may find hard to reconcile with my agreeing with you.

What you've written is not the same as what Dingus has written. You have chosen to reinterpret what he said in a way that makes sense.

A parting point that is more than quibble: there hasn't been agreement as to how long a sling is OK to use without limiter knots. If you think it's OK to use a double- or triple-shoulder length sling without limiter knots, I question that.

Remember that reducing force is not the only point of limiter knots: it is also to reduce anchor movement when a piece pulls. You noted this advantage previously. It may well be that this is the only real-world point to limiter knots. But it is an important one, for reasons that become obvious as the sling becomes longer.

Stated another way, "no extension" in SRNE is not completely worthless, even if may be regarded as less significant now than it has been at other times (and that's food for thought).

Thanks for making your points in a slightly less insulting manner than some of the posters here. I appreciate it, and content of your posts is clearly much better for it.

(My now infamous edit): I saw JT's comment after I posted mine. I have no doubt JT is right. I don't see it as going to the heart of what Hafilax and I were discussing, and I let Hafilax's point about the lack of real-world failures of sliding-x slide (sorry for the pun). There are of course very few failures of any real-world anchors, so invoking the lack of failures doesn't seem helpful when touting the benefit of any particular configuration.

(This post was edited by pfwein on Jun 23, 2009, 5:21 PM)

dingus

Jun 23, 2009, 6:01 PM
Post #111 of 217 (1896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:
It's possible he gets a kick out of making outrageous statements

pfwein wrote:
Limiter knots are not "pointless" although I agree they may be unnecessary in some situations (and I frequently don't use them). The thing is, it's hard to know how unnecessary they are in advance of one piece popping, and then it may be too late.

Here's the deal... you statement implies that since it is so hard to know! if they are unnecessary or not (like, dude, THIS IS THE EXACT TOPIC WE'RE DISCUSSING, YO!)...

all of your subsequent defense of limiter knots is complete rubbish. You already admited in this post you couldn't tell if they were necessary or not, lol!

But whatever. Show me some proof, like a real study, and I can be convinced. And if the physics of this are so simple why purt near anyone of you limiter folk should be able to do a test.

DMT

dingus

Jun 23, 2009, 6:07 PM
Post #112 of 217 (1890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:
I mostly agree with everything you've written on this thread. My only contention, which is a quibble at this point, is that you think I'm missing something, which you may find hard to reconcile with my agreeing with you.

What you've written is not the same as what Dingus has written. You have chosen to reinterpret what he said in a way that makes sense.

I'll restate it again, mayhaps you'll understand it this time:

SHOW ME THE BEEF.

I challenge the notion that limiter knots provide BENEFIT. These things suddenly crept into the lexicon of climbers and I would like to see some test or study to confirm that the wasted time at every freakin belay is worth anything at all.

My gut says, no, the time wasted is not worth the socalled benefit of limiter knots. But I can be convinced otherwise - SHOW ME THE STUDY.

Capice?

DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Jun 23, 2009, 6:08 PM)

Partner cracklover

Jun 23, 2009, 6:51 PM
Post #113 of 217 (1858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Two points:

1 - This is primarily directed toward Dingus, but others as well: Limiter knots in sliding-X anchors are a good idea in multipitch anchors where rockfall headed for the belay is a distinct possibility (e.g. first or early ascents). If that sling gets cut and you have no limiter knot, you have no anchor. Of course, using a different anchoring method altogether (such as anchoring in with the rope) is fine, too.

A second case when those pesky limiter knots could be useful is when you'd be likely to fall off your stance if one piece blew (and we're not talking about a big beefy new bolt). Dunno about you DMT, but the thought of taking a human funkness fall of over a foot onto trad gear gives me the willies.

2 - The cordelette, popularized by JL, was not an answer to an un-asked question. Several influential people, such as Craig Luebben and Marc Chauvin had developed basic principles to strive for in anchor building. In fact, the SRENE principle in the JL book was probably directly stolen from Chauvin's RENE principle.

Now please carry on.

GO

desertwanderer81

Jun 23, 2009, 7:22 PM
Post #114 of 217 (1835 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tedman] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tedman wrote:
Pf, just like to say that not everyone thinks you are an idiot. Its pretty clear that your argument is correct. I mean yeah, object A falling 10 feet will generate more force than falling 5 feet. I'm pretty sure thats the entirety of what you are trying to get at. Yes, the difference between 6" and a foot of extension is probly not that much and is debatable weather its worth the knots. Not sure what all the personal attacks and whatnot are for, you are being perfectly reasonable and well spoken. Unless of course the edits are blatant, but I doubt it.

to the dumbfucks that post 'too many wurd! omg! not reeding that!'. this is a bloody forum. with words. its text based, not tv or radio or your grandma reading out loud to you. you came here to read, quit bitching.

And dont just jump on dingus' bandwagon to garner some favor with him. its pretty pathetic, and I seriously doubt he gives a flying fuck how many freetards on this forum worship his shadow. thats what twitter is for.

If some idiot writes a freaking story because they don't know how to keep from rambling on for 3 pages, then I'm not going to read it.

Learn to be concise.

As for people jumping on the dingus bandwagon.... yeah.... we all are DMT groupies. And you are not in our buddy club.

pfwein

Jun 23, 2009, 7:26 PM
Post #115 of 217 (1830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Two points:

1 - This is primarily directed toward Dingus, but others as well: Limiter knots in sliding-X anchors are a good idea in multipitch anchors where rockfall headed for the belay is a distinct possibility (e.g. first or early ascents). If that sling gets cut and you have no limiter knot, you have no anchor. Of course, using a different anchoring method altogether (such as anchoring in with the rope) is fine, too.

A second case when those pesky limiter knots could be useful is when you'd be likely to fall off your stance if one piece blew (and we're not talking about a big beefy new bolt). Dunno about you DMT, but the thought of taking a human funkness fall of over a foot onto trad gear gives me the willies.

2 - The cordelette, popularized by JL, was not an answer to an un-asked question. Several influential people, such as Craig Luebben and Marc Chauvin had developed basic principles to strive for in anchor building. In fact, the SRENE principle in the JL book was probably directly stolen from Chauvin's RENE principle.

Now please carry on.

GO
Sorry cracklover, I'm not aware of any PROOF that substantiates either of your above points. You expect us to believe that your magic limiter knots will somehow lead to redundancy or prevent human funkness falls?

Many fools think that because some jock who wrote a book on anchors popularized the notion, but I am not aware of any tests that prove it. Likewise, I assume you have no PROOF that a 1' (or much more--don't assume we're just talking about shoulder or even double length slings here) belayer fall could create even the slightest inconvenience.

In any event, it is all academic since in the absence of PROOF, your theoretical speculation is, as has been previously noted in particular to your second point when made by another poster, complete rubbish.

desertwanderer81

Jun 23, 2009, 7:27 PM
Post #116 of 217 (1828 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
pfwein wrote:

SHOW ME THE BEEF.

I challenge the notion that limiter knots provide BENEFIT. These things suddenly crept into the lexicon of climbers and I would like to see some test or study to confirm that the wasted time at every freakin belay is worth anything at all.

My gut says, no, the time wasted is not worth the socalled benefit of limiter knots. But I can be convinced otherwise - SHOW ME THE STUDY.

Capice?

DMT

I died last weekend because one of my cams popped and there was no limitter knot so everything failed after that.

There's your beef.

QED

Partner cracklover

Jun 23, 2009, 7:31 PM
Post #117 of 217 (1824 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Two points:

Now please carry on.

GO
Sorry cracklover, I'm not aware of any PROOF that substantiates either of your above points. You expect us to believe that your magic limiter knots will somehow lead to redundancy or prevent human funkness falls?

Many fools think that because some jock who wrote a book on anchors popularized the notion, but I am not aware of any tests that prove it. Likewise, I assume you have no PROOF that a 1' (or much more--don't assume we're just talking about shoulder or even double length slings here) belayer fall could create even the slightest inconvenience.

In any event, it is all academic since in the absence of PROOF, your theoretical speculation is, as has been previously noted in particular to your second point when made by another poster, complete rubbish.

Grow up.

GO

Partner cracklover

Jun 23, 2009, 7:50 PM
Post #118 of 217 (1808 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a job for the mythbusters!

GO

bill413

Jun 23, 2009, 8:10 PM
Post #119 of 217 (1797 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
dingus wrote:
pfwein wrote:

SHOW ME THE BEEF.

Capice?

DMT

I died last weekend because one of my cams popped and there was no limitter knot so everything failed after that.

There's your beef.

QED

DW - sorry to hear about your death. Sounds like you got better though.
Next time tie limiter knots.

fxgranite

Jun 23, 2009, 8:11 PM
Post #120 of 217 (1791 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

GO

Cool. I hadn't heard about the gri gri vs atc thing before. It makes sense, I just hadn't thought of it before.

desertwanderer81

Jun 23, 2009, 8:15 PM
Post #121 of 217 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Bill. It's been a rough week dying like that.

hafilax

Jun 23, 2009, 8:18 PM
Post #122 of 217 (1772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fxgranite] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fxgranite wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

Cool. I hadn't heard about the gri gri vs atc thing before. It makes sense, I just hadn't thought of it before.
It's on the Grigri instruction sheet although the language is a little vague.

fxgranite

Jun 23, 2009, 8:41 PM
Post #123 of 217 (1740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
fxgranite wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GO

It's on the Grigri instruction sheet although the language is a little vague.

psshhh. Like I read those things.

Actually I might if I bothered to buy one. Everytime I try though, another cam just looks so much betterWink

have there been any other tests done somewhere? A brief check didn't turn up anything in the lab. I figure there must be if it's mentioned in the instructions.

GeneralZon

Jun 23, 2009, 8:43 PM
Post #124 of 217 (1735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Resurrected from another post (complements of dharmatreez) where PF was being annoying. LOL.

hafilax

Jun 23, 2009, 8:46 PM
Post #125 of 217 (1730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fxgranite] Anything wrong with this newbs anchor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There some stuff on the UIAA website if you look hard enough. There's an article that I've referenced a few times that talks about the reasoning behind the strength standards but I don't feel like looking it up again. Something like "How strong does gear need to be?".

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook