Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Best NC climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

williamjbauer

Jun 20, 2008, 5:41 PM
Post #1 of 17 (10289 views)
Shortcut

Best NC climbing?  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you were to pick a place to live in North Carolina based predominately on quality climbing close by (and maybe a nice town), where would it be?

I'm currently spoiled by the quality climbing at the New River Gorge, but I might move there in a few years and would love some ideas from locals...

knieveltech

Jun 20, 2008, 6:11 PM
Post #2 of 17 (10275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [williamjbauer] Best NC climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ashville. It's pretty centrally located for a lot of the best climbing in the state, and by all accounts it's a nice town. I hear the job market there's a little weird though. Winston-Salem also isn't a bad choice. You're less than an hour from three crags and a relatively short drive to a bunch of other stuff (including the New).

taibor2

Jun 23, 2008, 1:46 PM
Post #3 of 17 (10210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] Best NC climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ashville, Charlotte, Winson-Salem are all great, look up these places to climb...

1. Hanging Rock
2. Uwharrie
3. Pilot Mountain
4. King's Mountain
5. Crowder's Mountain

abtisme

Jun 23, 2008, 2:06 PM
Post #4 of 17 (10198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would scratch charlotte from the list. i lived there my whole life and there is no close climbing. in fact, the only boulderfield around (which was small) is about the be destroyed for some stupid housing development. i would look at Brevard or Asheville. Boone is great, but the job market will be really slim. from Brevard, you're minutes from looking glass and only about an hour from rumbling bald. and then if you want to get into linville gorge or the climbing around Boone, its about 2 and a half hours. so definitely look at Brevard.

edit: there is close climbing to charlotte: crowders and such, but it doesn't compare to the new or what you would find in the mountains of NC.

(This post was edited by abtisme on Jun 23, 2008, 2:07 PM)

colatownkid

Jun 23, 2008, 2:28 PM
Post #5 of 17 (10183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [abtisme] Best NC climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

abtisme wrote:
i would scratch charlotte from the list. i lived there my whole life and there is no close climbing. in fact, the only boulderfield around (which was small) is about the be destroyed for some stupid housing development. i would look at Brevard or Asheville. Boone is great, but the job market will be really slim. from Brevard, you're minutes from looking glass and only about an hour from rumbling bald. and then if you want to get into linville gorge or the climbing around Boone, its about 2 and a half hours. so definitely look at Brevard.

edit: there is close climbing to charlotte: crowders and such, but it doesn't compare to the new or what you would find in the mountains of NC.

brevard is literally 10 minutes from looking glass. the plug for asheville is good, too. it splits the time between looking glass and rumbling bald (about 45 min) and has more of the offerings of an actually city than brevard does. (don't get me wrong, brevard is nice, but if you want any sort of night life, etc. asheville is the place to be instead.)

ditto on the crowdrers/kings mountain thing. yeah, there is climbing there, but looking glass and rumbling bald will keep you busy with quality rock for quite a while.

dbrayack

Jun 23, 2008, 2:44 PM
Post #6 of 17 (10176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chattanooga

Carnage

Jun 23, 2008, 3:02 PM
Post #7 of 17 (10169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbrayack] Best NC climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dbrayack wrote:
Chattanooga

the chattanoogan countryside does provide some pretty bad ass climbing.( Read: lifetime's worth)

not saying i've been around much (i've spent most of my time at sauratown or pilot Unsure) but from what i've been able to tell, NC has a lot of routes spread out. Like daycrags all over, but nothing with the close concentration of climbs like Chattanooga or the new.

good news is you are close enough to get out to the daycrags most weekends and the hotspots when you get a few days off.

taibor2

Jun 23, 2008, 3:06 PM
Post #8 of 17 (10165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] Best NC climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rumbling Bald... I can't believe I left that one out... yeah, that will keep you busy for days.

taibor2

Jun 23, 2008, 3:10 PM
Post #9 of 17 (10164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] Best NC climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
dbrayack wrote:
Chattanooga

the chattanoogan countryside does provide some pretty bad ass climbing.( Read: lifetime's worth)

not saying i've been around much (i've spent most of my time at sauratown or pilot Unsure) but from what i've been able to tell, NC has a lot of routes spread out. Like daycrags all over, but nothing with the close concentration of climbs like Chattanooga or the new.

good news is you are close enough to get out to the daycrags most weekends and the hotspots when you get a few days off.

Chattanooga... Really?!? Never been, must go now!

colatownkid

Jun 23, 2008, 3:24 PM
Post #10 of 17 (10153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taibor2] Best NC climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

taibor2 wrote:
Carnage wrote:
dbrayack wrote:
Chattanooga

Chattanooga... Really?!? Never been, must go now!

foster falls, t-wall, and sunset to name a few...

bruceb

Jun 29, 2009, 5:07 AM
Post #11 of 17 (8115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] Best NC climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Asheville and NC is a terrible place to live for climbing with poor concentration of crags and routes. These are not the crags you are looking for. Wink

clemsonscooby

Jun 29, 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #12 of 17 (8100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bruceb] Best NC climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Asheville is getting over crowded and it stinks like hippies. Not your normal hippies either, and the city is starting to grow a cloud of patchouli over it. I will second the Brevard and even add Black Mountain. Chattanooga is cool, but very limited summer cragging.

bruceb

Jun 30, 2009, 2:29 AM
Post #13 of 17 (8068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clemsonscooby] Best NC climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So Scoobie, does a regular hippie smell worse than a South Carolina white trash, or NC rednecks? I can't tell the difference myself since we all come from the same dirt.

BB
NC native 47 years

clemsonscooby

Jun 30, 2009, 1:01 PM
Post #14 of 17 (8047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't come from southern dirt, but if I had to I would say S.C. trash smells worse, mainly because I smell it on a daily basis. Plus those N.C. hippies and rednecks are peaceful folk, mostly. Bruce, didn't take you for the type to be in the square downtown dancing and skipping around to the beat of that drum. I've only ever seen you dance on Cornflake or Shredded, but hey more power to you if that's your thing. Anywhere in western NC is a great place to live in comparison to SC. They don't let us climb down here Unsure, legally. We make the rock smell.

charley

Jun 30, 2009, 6:50 PM
Post #15 of 17 (8018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bruceb wrote:
Asheville and NC is a terrible place to live for climbing with poor concentration of crags and routes. These are not the crags you are looking for. Wink

Kerect!

Partner j_ung

Jul 1, 2009, 5:23 PM
Post #16 of 17 (7990 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Best NC climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was always kinda partial to Linville Gorge. Maybe Boone? Or Morganton?

abtisme

Jul 1, 2009, 6:12 PM
Post #17 of 17 (7965 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Best NC climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone else notice that this advice is about a year too late?

still, boone is the jam, but there aren't many jobs.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook