Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

brownie710

Jun 29, 2009, 4:57 PM
Post #26 of 30 (2372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clemsonscooby] best knife [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

clemsonscooby wrote:
shoo wrote:
Big fan of the trango piranha. Link below. Weighs virtually nothing, stays closed while on a 'biner.

http://www.trango.com/prod.php?id=104

For ice climbing days, I'll usually carry my Leatherman Wave. Multi-tools are very handy.

http://www.leatherman.com/...size-tools/wave.aspx

I agree with the piranha. The shark tool is too bulky and gets caught up on the carabiner too easily. Thats why I switched.

i third the piranha, i clip it to the biner my chalkbag is on and forget about it, some ultralight biners do allow it to open but most lock the blade closed.

snaps10

Jun 30, 2009, 1:20 AM
Post #27 of 30 (2342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SkierBrent55] best knife [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do. I have these attached to each of my harnesses. They are super secure, and have an awesome serration. Weighing in at .8oz, they are perfect to stay out of the way.

http://www.coldsteel.com/superedge.html

bill413

Jun 30, 2009, 1:59 AM
Post #28 of 30 (2327 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snaps10] best knife [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snaps10 wrote:
I do. I have these attached to each of my harnesses. They are super secure, and have an awesome serration. Weighing in at .8oz, they are perfect to stay out of the way.

http://www.coldsteel.com/superedge.html
They really stay in that sheath when you climb & scrape them against the rock?

chrisnovak

Jun 30, 2009, 2:36 AM
Post #29 of 30 (2313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SkierBrent55] best knife [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey - I'm not really a knife aficianado, so I can't really comment on what the best climbing knife is. But here's where I'm at, for what it's worth.

First, I agree with the praise for the Buck Redpoint - it locks open AND closed, opens easily one handed, is sharp as you'll ever need to cut webbing, and isn't very heavy. I wish that it had a carabiner option instead of just a clip point...but at least it's big enough for a full-size 'biner.

I do love Swiss Army knifes (preferably Victorinox), especially since I love all the extra functions. But in all the years I've only ever really needed the regular blade (for rock climbing), and hated the idea of it accidentally closing on my hand while trying to cut through webbing on a cold, dark night (not that it's ever happened...but of course it would when you could least afford it). So, I bring the SA knife camping and keep the Buck dedicated to my climbing harness.

I will note that, over the past couple of years that I've had it there has been some small pits that have formed from corrosion. I'm not sure if it's just my abuse of the knife, or some limited quality of the steel...but at about $29.95 each (REI) I can afford to replace it every couple of years...

Chris

snaps10

Jun 30, 2009, 2:38 AM
Post #30 of 30 (2312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] best knife [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't lost one yet, and have been using them for around 18mo now, both in rescue and personal climbing. I hang it with my chalkbag, rap rings, and meds (allergic to beestings) off my rear loop.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook