Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Becknology

Jul 1, 2009, 5:09 PM
Post #1 of 58 (5473 views)
Shortcut

Dont lead climb?? What holds you back??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would be interested in hearing from climbers that don't lead climb yet, but are thinking about making the transition. What would help you make the transition from top rope, into leading sport or trad climbing? Whats is getting your way or keeping you from taking the next step and getting started? Gear? Fear? Whats the catch??

Scooter12ga

Jul 1, 2009, 5:35 PM
Post #2 of 58 (5447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Becknology] Dont lead climb?? What holds you back?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the gear, and only a minor fear, but here's the deal...

I need a competent partner/belayer who can check my work afterward. I had a great mentor lined up and then he blew his knee. My good friend at about my skill level also just blew his knee. My wife broke her wrist and is more into gym climbing, but with her wrist she can't belay so she's out of the question. I also suck at climbing and there aren't many low grade cracks in my area.

I scoped out a 5.5 yesterday after work, but couldn't find a walk-up to set up a TR to check it out up close. Next time I'll head out with more time before sunset, look for a walk up, and if I don't find one, I'll probably just sack up and go for it. Frankly, I'm tired of waiting for "help" and I feel that my knowledge is strong enough and my skills are good enough to start learning through doing.

PS...anybody looking for a competent, safe follower in Albuquerque?

Edit - Regarding sport: I tried to lead sport once, crimpy 5.9, and almost decked when I fell as I was about to clip the 2nd bolt. Luckily I had a really good belayer who was able to pull a bunch of slack right as I dropped.

(This post was edited by Scooter12ga on Jul 1, 2009, 5:42 PM)

WordsVerbatim

Jul 1, 2009, 5:41 PM
Post #3 of 58 (5436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Becknology wrote:
I would be interested in hearing from climbers that don't lead climb yet, but are thinking about making the transition. What would help you make the transition from top rope, into leading sport or trad climbing? Whats is getting your way or keeping you from taking the next step and getting started? Gear? Fear? Whats the catch??

Gear isn't the problem for me. I can borrow quickdraws from people. The problem is that I only TR like 5.8 and according to one of my climber friends I need to at least be climbing at 5.9/5.10 before I even consider leading. He said that I will be climbing three grades below my usual TR climb, which I figured anyway.

But I really, really want to lead. When I get back to school, I plan to do a TON of TR to build my skill/endurance. What I'd started doing before I left school for summer was simply asking for quite a bit of slack. I can't stand the feeling of being "carried" up the wall. And plus, that will hopefully get me used to the feeling of being on lead (in a sense, though I know it's no substitute, really).

surfergirl

Jul 1, 2009, 5:50 PM
Post #4 of 58 (5418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WordsVerbatim] Dont lead climb?? What holds you back?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

i just started leading last weekend and it was a complete success. before that, every time i would toprope, i would try to do it perfectly and think "what would i have to do if i was leading this," and then if i got really scared i would think "there's no way i'm ready to lead if i can't even toprope this route easily." not necessarily true though. my very first lead, i toproped the route first. i didn't think it was necessarily easy on toprope, so i was a little scared to lead it. when i led it, i found i climbed it better and more easily. you focus more when you're on lead. and surprisingly, i worry less about falling when i'm on lead. i just try and stay focused.

then again, there was another route that i toproped first, didn't fall, and then fell on lead.

Skidemon27

Jul 1, 2009, 6:38 PM
Post #5 of 58 (5376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

WordsVerbatim wrote:
Becknology wrote:

Gear isn't the problem for me. I can borrow quickdraws from people. The problem is that I only TR like 5.8 and according to one of my climber friends I need to at least be climbing at 5.9/5.10 before I even consider leading. He said that I will be climbing three grades below my usual TR climb, which I figured anyway.

But I really, really want to lead. When I get back to school, I plan to do a TON of TR to build my skill/endurance. What I'd started doing before I left school for summer was simply asking for quite a bit of slack. I can't stand the feeling of being "carried" up the wall. And plus, that will hopefully get me used to the feeling of being on lead (in a sense, though I know it's no substitute, really).

ur friend sound like an idiot......i can only TR 5.9s.....could i climb a higher grade??? maybe but the torn cartilage( i know it wrong) in my wrist and my torn MCL in my knee say no.......can i trad lead??? abso-fucking-lutely....granted i have onyl lead 5.6 as my highest lead......but hey im leading and that the point....... ig u got the gear or a buddy with the gear........and u got the sack for it.......then do it......no one should be stopping u but urself (unless ur a moron)

Peasley1

Jul 1, 2009, 6:43 PM
Post #6 of 58 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Scooter12ga] Dont lead climb?? What holds you back?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The only thing that stopped me was finding a competent belayer. So I just dragged my climbing buddy in the gym and had him practice belaying me on a lead climb until we both felt comfortable enough to do it outside, only took an hour or two.

bill413

Jul 1, 2009, 7:35 PM
Post #7 of 58 (5333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WordsVerbatim wrote:

I think that when you're starting to lead you do want to be climbing well below your best level. However, that is far less true for sport climbing than for trad.
When I started leading trad, I started with 5.2's & 5.3's, and slowly worked my way up...until I realized I didn't have to restrain myself to low levels. But, I'm glad I spent some of that time...learning to place pro & evaluate it while you're not stressed out with the climbing is important. Screwing things up & recovering is much easier when you aren't at your limits.

For sport, provided the clipping stances are good and the route well bolted, you can lead pretty much at the level you can climb after only a very little bit of experience.

Leading is very much a head game. Not all people enjoy it. But if you do, it's great.

dingus

Jul 1, 2009, 7:50 PM
Post #8 of 58 (5318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Excuses are what hold non-climbers back.

Climbers find reasons to lead. Not excuses to top rope.

Sorry, just injecting some tough love into the thread.

If you want to lead. LEAD. Stop making excuses.

DMT

WordsVerbatim

Jul 1, 2009, 8:16 PM
Post #9 of 58 (5296 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Dont lead climb?? What holds you back?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Excuses are what hold non-climbers back.

Climbers find reasons to lead. Not excuses to top rope.

Sorry, just injecting some tough love into the thread.

If you want to lead. LEAD. Stop making excuses.

DMT

Thanks for that. I might just have to talk my friends into it next time we go outside. I don't care if I have to lead a 5.5 or 5.6 the first few times or more -- I just want to try it (and hopefully enjoy it). It seems like it'd be a lot of fun. Smile I'm hoping. I'm honestly not trying to make excuses. I think about sport leadin all the time.

My friends seem to be hesitant to allow it when we're outside simply because they don't want me to have to clean the route / clip in at the top to go off belay. (Sorry if that's incorrect.) Bail biner, yes? I'm still a little confused as to what one does at the top of a route when it's completed even though I've definitely googled it quite a bit / seen a friend do it before. Can someone explain?

I don't mean to hijack the thread.

(This post was edited by WordsVerbatim on Jul 1, 2009, 8:18 PM)

dingus

Jul 1, 2009, 8:24 PM
Post #10 of 58 (5284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So if you are GOING to lead, how will you prepare yourself between now and then? How are you going to assume responsibility for your own butt? Will you take the steps necessary (already have?) to be informed and prepared?

Those friends of yours aren't going to do it for you. Nobody here can take your decisions for you. This is ALL YOU.

Leading isn't rocket science but it is serious nevertheless. You could die. THAT is the responsibility I am referring to - understanding and then acting in a manner 100% responsible for your own butt and each and every decision you take.

No blaming the buddies for anything, before or after. Its all you.

DMT

WordsVerbatim

Jul 1, 2009, 9:04 PM
Post #11 of 58 (5245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
So if you are GOING to lead, how will you prepare yourself between now and then? How are you going to assume responsibility for your own butt? Will you take the steps necessary (already have?) to be informed and prepared?

Those friends of yours aren't going to do it for you. Nobody here can take your decisions for you. This is ALL YOU.

Leading isn't rocket science but it is serious nevertheless. You could die. THAT is the responsibility I am referring to - understanding and then acting in a manner 100% responsible for your own butt and each and every decision you take.

No blaming the buddies for anything, before or after. Its all you.

DMT

Oh, I know. :/ I think about the dangers constantly, and I feel like I'm constantly researching. I won't be able to climb at all for another month or so, so there won't be much preparing to be done climbing wise. All I can really do is educate myself, and I've been attempting to do that to the best of my ability.

In no way would I lay all blame on my climbing buddies if something were to go wrong (which I understand is always a possibility). I know it's on me. I am very aware that there are always risks when one chooses to climb but I choose to climb because I love it. I understand that safety is key. Believe me, I have thought about the risks of it. I wouldn't just jump into something that could be potentially harmful without really looking into it first.

swoopee

Jul 1, 2009, 9:07 PM
Post #12 of 58 (5240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have lead trad and would love to lead again but lack a trusted belayer. Frown

dhorgan

Jul 1, 2009, 9:08 PM
Post #13 of 58 (5239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WordsVerbatim wrote:
My friends seem to be hesitant to allow it when we're outside simply because they don't want me to have to clean the route / clip in at the top to go off belay. (Sorry if that's incorrect.) Bail biner, yes? I'm still a little confused as to what one does at the top of a route when it's completed even though I've definitely googled it quite a bit / seen a friend do it before. Can someone explain?

I'm getting a sense from your question above that you need to have someone walk you through the leading process a little bit more. Typically, in the scenario you describe above, you would either walk off, rappel, or lower off, and experience would tell you which one made sense for the particular situation. I'm guessing you'd be solid with the first option but unclear about options 2 and 3. If you search around on this site a bit, you'll see that a number of folks have gotten badly hurt or worse by lowering or rappelling incorrectly. As someone else said above, it's all pretty simple, but if you get it wrong, there is often no second chance. So your friends are right to be worried about taking you off belay and hoping you figure it out.

I'd consider reading all you can about this if you learn that way (plenty of books on learning to lead out there), but either way go out a time or two with an experienced climber or climbing guide who will show you how to do it safely.

desertwanderer81

Jul 1, 2009, 9:19 PM
Post #14 of 58 (5226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surfergirl] Dont lead climb?? What holds you back?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

surfergirl wrote:
i just started leading last weekend and it was a complete success. before that, every time i would toprope, i would try to do it perfectly and think "what would i have to do if i was leading this," and then if i got really scared i would think "there's no way i'm ready to lead if i can't even toprope this route easily." not necessarily true though. my very first lead, i toproped the route first. i didn't think it was necessarily easy on toprope, so i was a little scared to lead it. when i led it, i found i climbed it better and more easily. you focus more when you're on lead. and surprisingly, i worry less about falling when i'm on lead. i just try and stay focused.

then again, there was another route that i toproped first, didn't fall, and then fell on lead.

lol, I totally do the same. I've actually led things and then did laps on it on TR it and said, "holy shit, how did I lead that??"

It's all a head game.

seatbeltpants

Jul 1, 2009, 9:31 PM
Post #15 of 58 (5206 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WordsVerbatim wrote:

do a search on that - the question has come up dozens of time and is covered very well in a bunch of threads.

as for the point about "they don't want me to have to clean the route / clip in at the top to go off belay" i don't quite get it. put in two draws at the anchors, clip the rope through both, and lower away the same as if you'd just top roped it. unless no one else is going to climb the route there's no need to clean it or go off belay.

are they making excuses, or are you???

steve

WordsVerbatim

Jul 1, 2009, 9:37 PM
Post #16 of 58 (5201 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dhorgan] Dont lead climb?? What holds you back?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dhorgan wrote:
WordsVerbatim wrote:

I'm getting a sense from your question above that you need to have someone walk you through the leading process a little bit more. Typically, in the scenario you describe above, you would either walk off, rappel, or lower off, and experience would tell you which one made sense for the particular situation. I'm guessing you'd be solid with the first option but unclear about options 2 and 3. If you search around on this site a bit, you'll see that a number of folks have gotten badly hurt or worse by lowering or rappelling incorrectly. As someone else said above, it's all pretty simple, but if you get it wrong, there is often no second chance. So your friends are right to be worried about taking you off belay and hoping you figure it out.

I'd consider reading all you can about this if you learn that way (plenty of books on learning to lead out there), but either way go out a time or two with an experienced climber or climbing guide who will show you how to do it safely.

I know I've still got quite a bit to learn. I need to get some books on sport climbing. As of now, I've only relied on Google and this forums search function. I wouldn't be comfortable going off belay, myself. If there's a simpler, safer way to go about things, you can bet I will look into it. I can definitely understand my friends' concerns.

I'll look into rapp'ing, lowering off, and walking off on the forum and see what comes up on both Google and the forum.

I'm such a n00b. Forgive. Unsure

In reply to:
are they making excuses, or are you???

Well, the way you explained it makes it seem a lot simpler than I had imagined. I do tend to over complicate things.

I don't imagine they're really makng excuses. I do genuinely want to try sport climbing once I'm near a rock. And I probably will. I know I probably sound terrible saying things like, "I really want to lead!" when it sounds like I haven't really researched.

Edited.

(This post was edited by WordsVerbatim on Jul 1, 2009, 9:45 PM)

desertwanderer81

Jul 1, 2009, 9:48 PM
Post #17 of 58 (5186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Contrary to popular practice, the internet is a terrible place to learn how to climb. While books might be great, they're also terrible for learning on when you have no point of reference.

Find an experienced friend who is patient and have that person show you the "ropes". Have them show you how to learn all of the skills etc. THEN read some books, etc and refine your skills and knowledge.

WordsVerbatim

Jul 1, 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #18 of 58 (5176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Dont lead climb?? What holds you back?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
Contrary to popular practice, the internet is a terrible place to learn how to climb. While books might be great, they're also terrible for learning on when you have no point of reference.

Yes I know the internet isn't the most reliable of resources. However, I'm forced to rely on it for my climbing fix at the moment. Sad, but true.

desertwanderer81 wrote:
Find an experienced friend who is patient and have that person show you the "ropes". Have them show you how to learn all of the skills etc. THEN read some books, etc and refine your skills and knowledge.

That is a very good point. I've still got a lot to learn technique-wise that books aren't going to do a thing for.

(This post was edited by WordsVerbatim on Jul 1, 2009, 10:03 PM)

dhorgan

Jul 1, 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #19 of 58 (5173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:

I would second that, even though I suggested books as part of the solution above...I taught myself how to lead out of a book when I was a teenager, and I'm amazed I survived. The books are optional: learning from someone who knows what they're doing is the key.

surfergirl

Jul 1, 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #20 of 58 (5136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think if you follow enough sport and clean enough routes, when you lead it all should be second nature. i don't really know what back clipping or z clipping are ...i just know to do it the way i've always seen my climbing partners do it, it would never occur to me to do it the wrong way (but, of course, i just started leading so i try to be really careful and aware of what i am doing, and also ask my partners to watch what i am doing)

dingus

Jul 1, 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #21 of 58 (5132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WordsVerbatim wrote:
I know I've still got quite a bit to learn. I need to get some books on sport climbing. As of now, I've only relied on Google and this forums search function.

Ah, I shoulda spoted the troll earlier.

Cheers
DMT

desertwanderer81

Jul 1, 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #22 of 58 (5125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surfergirl] Dont lead climb?? What holds you back?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a note, on well bolted sport routes it is easy to z-clip when you don't know what it is. Z-clipping is very much not fun but your buddy will probably let you know what it is, heh. Also back-clipping is also equally easy but can be aleviated by routine.

I'm not entirely certain though that "watching" people climb or clean would really help you to avoid those pitfalls.

surfergirl

Jul 1, 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #23 of 58 (5118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just looked up z-clipping and i can't see how that is even remotely possible! to do that you would have to be clipping one bolt when you haven't even climbed past the last bolt, right?? seems like the bolts would have to be REALLY close together!

WordsVerbatim

Jul 1, 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #24 of 58 (5114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
WordsVerbatim wrote:
I know I've still got quite a bit to learn. I need to get some books on sport climbing. As of now, I've only relied on Google and this forums search function.

Ah, I shoulda spoted the troll earlier.

Cheers
DMT

I'm not a troll. :( I've climbed before, and often. However, considering I can't climb at the moment, reading up on climbing is really my only option. I feel offended. I would NEVER rely on books alone to learn about sport climbing (or climbing in general). But if I can use it to gather tidbits of information while I'm not able to climb, I will. Would I say, "Oh, I've read 2 books on sport climbing, wanna go outside tomorrow so I can lead?" Hell no. It's just that I'm home for the summer where there isn't a climbing gym or rock in sight. Please give me a break. :/ I've seen people climb a sport route and trad, but I'm not an expert, I'll give you that.

(This post was edited by WordsVerbatim on Jul 1, 2009, 11:09 PM)

seatbeltpants

Jul 1, 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #25 of 58 (5093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WordsVerbatim wrote:
I'm not a troll. :( I've climbed before, and often. However, considering I can't climb at the moment, reading up on climbing is really my only option. I feel offended. I would NEVER rely on books alone to learn about sport climbing (or climbing in general). I'm home for the summer where there isn't a climbing gym or rock in sight. Please give me a break. :/ I've seen people climb a sport route and trad, but I'm not an expert, I'll give you that.

i've got to say that i learned a fair bit of what i know from reading books and the stuff posted here. learning from an experienced climbing buddy is great, but in my 18 months of climbing i've been given terrible, potentially dangerous advice several times by people who i'd have expected to know better. the only reason i knew it was bad advice is that i'd read enough to recognise it as such.

learning from books alone isn't ideal, but learning from "experienced climbers" of unknown competency isn't ideal either, imho. and often the only way to know whether your teacher is competent is to know enough independently of what they've taught you to make that call.

hell, there's a thread here that i was just reading where a guide was posting advice i wouldn't follow.

steve

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook