Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Selecting my first shoe, your help needed please!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

climber100

Jul 11, 2009, 4:16 AM
Post #1 of 20 (2272 views)
Shortcut

Selecting my first shoe, your help needed please!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.evolvesports.com/royale.htm

http://www.madrockclimbing.com/flash-1.aspx

http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/996

http://www.rei.com/product/716244

(I posted an early post which I deleted because I noticed I wasn't helping you folks out enough by not giving particular shoes, so thanks for your help, and here are some options). I just started climbing and am doing mostly indoors, but I'm going to be doing some outdoor climbing soon (I don't know what "crack" and all that means, so I don't know what climbing) along with indoor/outdoor bouldering. What shoe is best?
Thanks a lot, your input is appreciated and respected!

(This post was edited by climber100 on Jul 11, 2009, 4:17 AM)

brawa

Jul 11, 2009, 4:32 AM
Post #2 of 20 (2265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climber100] Selecting my first shoe, your help needed please! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just get whatever's cheapest and comfortable enough that you don't need to take them off after every climb. I don't mean this to be short, but seriously: you are in all likelihood going to wear through your first pair of shoes very quickly. Any rock shoe will be better than climbing in sneakers by a long shot, and it will give you a good idea of what you do and don't like in a shoe for when you're ready for your second or third pair.

Good luck!

socalclimber

Jul 11, 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #3 of 20 (2226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brawa] Selecting my first shoe, your help needed please! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brawa wrote:
Just get whatever's cheapest and comfortable enough that you don't need to take them off after every climb. I don't mean this to be short, but seriously: you are in all likelihood going to wear through your first pair of shoes very quickly. Any rock shoe will be better than climbing in sneakers by a long shot, and it will give you a good idea of what you do and don't like in a shoe for when you're ready for your second or third pair.

Good luck!

This is sound advice. Don't worry about the various types. Cheap and comfy is best. 5.10 makes a decent shoe called the Coyote. They retail around $80 USD and will be fine for your current needs.

(This post was edited by socalclimber on Jul 11, 2009, 12:07 PM)

Myxomatosis

Jul 13, 2009, 1:43 AM
Post #4 of 20 (2175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Selecting my first shoe, your help needed please! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I go though shoes every six months in the gym.

I usually buy a cheap pair for gym and nice one for outdoors.

Coyotes are awesome beginner shoes, cheap and long lasting.. yet great design/performance

subantz

Jul 13, 2009, 1:50 AM
Post #5 of 20 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climber100] Selecting my first shoe, your help needed please! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NIKE AIR FORCE ONES or A PAIR OF JORDANS.Wink

sungam

Jul 13, 2009, 1:52 AM
Post #6 of 20 (2170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [subantz] Selecting my first shoe, your help needed please! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

subantz wrote:
NIKE AIR FORCE ONES or A PAIR OF JORDANS.Wink
SHOOZ ATE ATE ATE DOT CALM!

karmiclimber

Jul 13, 2009, 1:54 AM
Post #7 of 20 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say go for the sportivas, if you have the extra cash. Everyone tells beginners to buy cheap shoes for their first go round...personally shoes can give you some awesome confidence if they are comfortable and keep your feet more firmly planted on holds with sticky rubber. My two cents. It would be killer if you could try a pair on (which the ten or so minutes you may have them on at the store will not predict how they will feel after a couple hours at the gym or crag). Best of luck!!

socalclimber

Jul 13, 2009, 4:01 AM
Post #8 of 20 (2146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Selecting my first shoe, your help needed please! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, but this is bad advice. This person is a new climber. This means they have lousy foot work. This equals destroyed shoes.

There's good reason to have newbies buy cheap shoes in the beginning, they're going to tear them up. Once they have beat that pair up, most likely they will have started to develop some technique. Then buy better shoes.

My best friend and main partner has climbed more routes in Joshua Tree & Yosemite, and has more first ascents than any human alive in both parks. He's a cheap bastard and routinely leads 5.11 in Coyotes.

Your argument does not hold water.

Sorry.

(This post was edited by socalclimber on Jul 13, 2009, 4:02 AM)

karmiclimber

Jul 13, 2009, 4:11 AM
Post #9 of 20 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Selecting my first shoe, your help needed please! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BS. My first pair of shoes were 5.10's (bought on sale). I tried climbing a couple of times in sneakers when I first started out and had major slippage. Look, I'm not saying put down a fortune for shoes. AT ALL. You can get nice, beginner shoes that will also aid in climbing. The person who posted the thread was asking for advice on which shoes among a selection would be good. I gave my PERSONAL experience. If not for me having the better shoe, that allowed me to experience personal growth, I might not have progressed easily or enjoyed rockclimbing. That has been my experience and personal advice. And for me, it has held water. This is why I hate rockclimbing.com. Ugh. Off to not post again for another 6 months. Later.

karmiclimber

Jul 13, 2009, 4:14 AM
Post #10 of 20 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
Sorry, but this is bad advice. This person is a new climber. This means they have lousy foot work. This equals destroyed shoes.

There's good reason to have newbies buy cheap shoes in the beginning, they're going to tear them up. Once they have beat that pair up, most likely they will have started to develop some technique. Then buy better shoes.

My best friend and main partner has climbed more routes in Joshua Tree & Yosemite, and has more first ascents than any human alive in both parks. He's a cheap bastard and routinely leads 5.11 in Coyotes.

Your argument does not hold water.

Sorry.

And the shoes out of the selection I reccomended are 10 dollars more than the 5.10 coyotes. Geeze dude.

Neel

Jul 13, 2009, 4:25 AM
Post #11 of 20 (2128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climber100 wrote:
http://www.evolvesports.com/royale.htm

http://www.madrockclimbing.com/flash-1.aspx

http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/996

http://www.rei.com/product/716244

(I posted an early post which I deleted because I noticed I wasn't helping you folks out enough by not giving particular shoes, so thanks for your help, and here are some options). I just started climbing and am doing mostly indoors, but I'm going to be doing some outdoor climbing soon (I don't know what "crack" and all that means, so I don't know what climbing) along with indoor/outdoor bouldering. What shoe is best?
Thanks a lot, your input is appreciated and respected!

FWIW, my first shoes were the Sportiva Cliffs - they were great shoes, and very comfortable. A bunch of people I know who just started went with the fiveten spires. Both good shoes - as others said, the best beginner shoe is the one that is most comfortable. Try 'em all on, and figure out which one suits your feet best. Dont worry about aggressive asymmetric toes or anything like that - just get what fits and will get you up the rock.

climber100

Jul 13, 2009, 5:58 AM
Post #12 of 20 (2107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber, thank you for your advice, I certainly appreciate it; socalclimber had good advice also, but yes, your advice is respected. Also I think you should keep posting because beginners like me like hearing your personal experience, so ya. thank you to all for your help thus far...

socalclimber

Jul 13, 2009, 6:29 AM
Post #13 of 20 (2101 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Selecting my first shoe, your help needed please! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Geez dudette, you should have said as much in your original post. You basicly dismissed the notion of beginners not slapping down lots of money on shoes. I called you on it.

Then you come along and back peddle about the Sportiva's only being $10 more.

socalclimber

Jul 13, 2009, 6:30 AM
Post #14 of 20 (2097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climber100 wrote:
karmiclimber, thank you for your advice, I certainly appreciate it; socalclimber had good advice also, but yes, your advice is respected. Also I think you should keep posting because beginners like me like hearing your personal experience, so ya. thank you to all for your help thus far...

Just go out and by something cheap and comfortable that you can climb all day in. You'll be far better off.

josiahdood

Jul 13, 2009, 12:00 PM
Post #15 of 20 (2081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I flailed for a year or two wearing so called beginner shoes (ie La Sportiva Cliff), without making a lot of headway in the footwork technique department. Then I bought a pair of 5.10 Moccasyms a size and a half down from my street shoe (initially uncomfortable) and my feet started sticking to everything. A month later I was cranking at least a grade harder than I was before.

Everyone has a different experience I guess.

karmiclimber

Jul 13, 2009, 4:37 PM
Post #16 of 20 (2034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, there was no backpeddling. 90 dollars is not inexpensive. Neither is 80 for 5.10 coyotes. I was replying to the author who had posted a list, and in that list was a pair of sportivas for 90 bucks. Its inexpensive relatively speaking...but with some of the cheaper brands, I have personally had bad luck. So I was trying to say go with a good brand (5.10, sportiva) and the get the good, comfortable beginner shoe...which had worked for me personally.
I hate how on this site it seems like everyone is looking for a fight. Waiting for that "I'm right, you are wrong moment." You are acting like I taught the person to backclip or belay off their chalk bag loop. And I am seriously sick of being undermined.
Shoes are hard for beginners. You need to try them on and climb in them to really find out what they are going to be like. Personally, sportiva and five ten fit my feet very well, but I wear a different size in each. And as for trying on...the place I have seen the most amount of shoes in different brands in ONE place is not REI, the local gear shop or the gym...its Miguels at the Red. Which makes trying on shoes hard. You might want to ask around at the gym for reccomendations too. I dunno, best of luck.

socalclimber

Jul 13, 2009, 9:48 PM
Post #17 of 20 (1980 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You posted this little gem:

"Everyone tells beginners to buy cheap shoes for their first go round..."

This is a very dismissive statement.

Has it ever occured to you that there is a very good reason why this piece of advice is routinely dispensed?

I'll bet not.

As for the rest of your mindless banter....

Yawn...

I suggest you stop dispensing your poor advice coupled with your total lack of experience.

(This post was edited by socalclimber on Jul 13, 2009, 9:54 PM)

karmiclimber

Jul 13, 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #18 of 20 (1964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
You posted this little gem:

"Everyone tells beginners to buy cheap shoes for their first go round..."

This is a very dismissive statement.

Has it ever occured to you that there is a very good reason why this piece of advice is routinely dispensed?

I'll bet not.

As for the rest of your mindless banter....

Yawn...

I suggest you stop dispensing your poor advice coupled with your total lack of experience.

Yes, well "neener, neener" and "your mom". Namaste.

socalclimber

Jul 13, 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #19 of 20 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That response is pretty much what I expected.

Vacuous...

graemesmith

Jul 13, 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #20 of 20 (1920 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the 5.10 Coyote 2īs and they have really flimsy souls. Upgrading to Scarpa Veloces helped me a lot for gym footwork. So just donīt get anything that is TOO flimsy. On the other hand they probably rock for slabs. Wink

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook