Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MentalTunnel

Jul 22, 2009, 5:58 AM
Post #1 of 31 (11859 views)
Shortcut

Drop Proof Belay Device?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I am looking for a belay device that can stay attached to the locking biner while while putting a rope on or off. Mark Twight suggests a Bachli Seilbremse which I believe is the below device:

http://www.baechli-bergsport.ch/...ssin-Seilbremsen.htm

It seems to just have the loop to one side and a way to add another way to secure it so it cannot be dropped. Does anyone know if it is possible to get one in North America?

patto

Jul 22, 2009, 6:18 AM
Post #2 of 31 (11848 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MentalTunnel] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you can't hold onto your belay device while climbing im not sure how you can manage to lead climb. It really isn't that hard.

If your concerned about what to do after dropping your belay device then that is another issue. It is not solved by by getting a so called undroppable belay device.

Alpine07

Jul 22, 2009, 6:22 AM
Post #3 of 31 (11847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

You could just tie a piece of cord on to a normal belay device. Then you can just clip the loop of cord to anything. And there ya have it, a drop proof belay device. It works quite well and you don't have to buy a new device. Though it would still be possible to drop... So I might suggest some sort of lobster cord attachment with auto locking biners, and don't forget the load releasing hitches (you know what that static cord is like to fall on).Sly

yankinoz

Jul 22, 2009, 6:34 AM
Post #4 of 31 (11835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ATC

Guran

Jul 22, 2009, 7:43 AM
Post #5 of 31 (11815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yankinoz] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yankinoz wrote:
ATC
Simple as that.

The complete idiots guide to not dropping the device:

1) Hold atc and belay biner spine with one hand. Open biner gate and remove from gear loop. (*)
2) Still holding on to both device and biner, attach biner to belay loop.
3) Thread the rope through the slot(s) in the device.
4) Open biner gate and insert rope in biner. Should you fumble now, the device is most likely held by rope friction.
5) Lock biner.
6) Done.

(*) this is the only time you might drop the device along with the biner. If you are not able to transfer a biner with attached belay device from a gear loop to your belay loop without dropping it, please never ever climb above me or anyone else.

docburner

Jul 22, 2009, 8:36 AM
Post #6 of 31 (11804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You probably can leave a zapomat always locked to your belay loop. I think it would work.
Even though they look pretty sketch they work pretty well. They are like a good autolocker to give the people that belay with an ATC but can't seem to figure out how to use a grigri without shorting.

reverse_dyno

Jul 22, 2009, 9:06 AM
Post #7 of 31 (11798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The Piu Cassin is a cheap version of the BD guide and petzl Reverso. I shop at Bachli all the time and I know that the Piu device is sold in the outlet store where they sell all the inexpensive 'generic' gear.

I am sure it is a fine belay device, but its main selling point is that it is half the price of the guide and reverso in Switzerland.

Mark

king_rat

Jul 22, 2009, 9:56 AM
Post #8 of 31 (11789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

back belay, you would find it diffcult to drop, and if you did it would be the last thing you would warry about!

Aunor

Jul 22, 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #9 of 31 (11783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [king_rat] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Drop Proof Belay Device?
Munter Hitch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRYkca9xEjc

a-e-jones

Jul 22, 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #10 of 31 (11763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MentalTunnel wrote:
I am looking for a belay device that can stay attached to the locking biner while while putting a rope on or off. Mark Twight suggests a Bachli Seilbremse which I believe is the below device:

It seems to just have the loop to one side and a way to add another way to secure it so it cannot be dropped. Does anyone know if it is possible to get one in North America?

by the sounds of it even you'd manage to drop a hip belay :P

bill413

Jul 22, 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #11 of 31 (11731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [a-e-jones] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a-e-jones wrote:
MentalTunnel wrote:

LaughLaugh

The loop that MT mentions is for using the device in autoblock mode. So, not only are you talking about something that is getting you scorn, but you don't seem to be aware of the uses of the device. *Sigh*

You should know how to belay with more than one device. If you are really worried about dropping it, carry 2. Learn to body belay - very old school, but still very effective (and "better" in some situations). Learn to rig a biner brake so you can rap down.

Knowledge is safety.

GeneralZon

Jul 22, 2009, 1:38 PM
Post #12 of 31 (11700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DON'T DROP YOUR MUNTER!!!!!

Skidemon27

Jul 22, 2009, 1:41 PM
Post #13 of 31 (11697 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Guran] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Guran wrote:
yankinoz wrote:
ATC
Simple as that.

1) Hold atc and belay biner spine with one hand. Open biner gate and remove from gear loop. (*)
4) Open biner gate and insert rope in biner. Should you fumble now, the device is most likely held by rope friction.
5) Lock biner.
6) Done.

(*) this is the only time you might drop the device along with the biner. If you are not able to transfer a biner with attached belay device from a gear loop to your belay loop without dropping it, please never ever climb above me or anyone else.

did u really have to give a us a play by play??

wats next?

proper shoe lace tieing

Gmburns2000

Jul 22, 2009, 1:57 PM
Post #14 of 31 (11687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MentalTunnel wrote:

The good thing about that device is that it is impossible to drop. The bad thing is that it only works with biners that are really slippery.

altelis

Jul 22, 2009, 1:59 PM
Post #15 of 31 (11685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
a-e-jones wrote:
MentalTunnel wrote:

LaughLaugh

The loop that MT mentions is for using the device in autoblock mode. So, not only are you talking about something that is getting you scorn, but you don't seem to be aware of the uses of the device. *Sigh*

You should know how to belay with more than one device. If you are really worried about dropping it, carry 2learn the munter or hip belay. Learn to body belay - very old school, but still very effective (and "better" in some situations). Learn to rig a biner brake so you can rap down.

Knowledge is safety.

fixdt Wink

acorneau

Jul 22, 2009, 2:31 PM
Post #16 of 31 (11667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MentalTunnel wrote:
I am looking for a belay device that can stay attached to the locking biner while while putting a rope on or off.

FIgure-8.

You can put a rope on and off a Figure-8 while the biner is still locked on it, but eventually you have to open the biner to put it on your belay loop.

Edit to add: actually you don't. With the biner/8 on your belay loop, pull a bight of rope through the big hole, pass it all the way over your head and under your feet. Voila!

(This post was edited by acorneau on Jul 22, 2009, 2:33 PM)

ukkonen

Jul 22, 2009, 3:21 PM
Post #17 of 31 (11630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

It probably seemed like good question to him at the time....

Now he has probably learned to think long and hard before posting a question here.

The use of the dummy cord is not the main lesson here.

MentalTunnel

Jul 22, 2009, 3:33 PM
Post #18 of 31 (11617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ukkonen] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ukkonen wrote:

Now he has probably learned to think long and hard before posting a question here.

As I stated in my question it is a suggestion by Mark Twight to have a device that is basically impossible to drop. He suggests the Bachli Seilbremse or a Yates Belay Slave. Come on guys stop and think for a minute. I am getting this information straight out of Mark Twight's book and with his record of climbing he still worries about dropping the belay device when setting up for a rappel or belay.

acorneau you are right with a figure eight is another option. Mark Twight does mention that. Thank you for the good info.

(This post was edited by MentalTunnel on Jul 22, 2009, 3:38 PM)

djlachelt

Jul 22, 2009, 3:43 PM
Post #19 of 31 (11601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
The good thing about that device is that it is impossible to drop. The bad thing is that it only works with biners that are really slippery.

Thank you... at first I thought, "what a stupid thing to say.", now I can't stop chuckling!

To the OP. The Seilbremsen won't solve your problem. That little loop has a very specific function (see the video below). The only thing you can do is tether the device to yourself as one of the previous replies suggested. But I think that would cause more problems than it is worth... more stuff to get tangled.

Go to the Petzl website and view their videos of how the Reverso can be used. It is functionally the same as the device you refer to. http://petzl.com/...ay-devices/reverso-3. The first video shows the Reverso 3 in use, which looks most like the Seilbremsen. The second video on this page shows the simplest way to set up the belay so that you minimize the possibility to drop the belay device (which was described by a previous poster). The device is always attached to the biner. There is almost never a reason to separate the belay device from the carabiner.

Of course, you could drop both of them together... but hopefully you can figure out how to avoid that. Whenever you transfer your belay&crab from a gear loop to your belay loop be sure to be very deliberate, don't try to do something else at the same time. Just like is demonstrated in the video... unclip the carabiner from your gear loop and immediately attach it to your beley loop - done. Then go about setting up the belay.

dynosore

Jul 22, 2009, 4:23 PM
Post #20 of 31 (11565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MentalTunnel wrote:
ukkonen wrote:

As I stated in my question it is a suggestion by Mark Twight to have a device that is basically impossible to drop. He suggests the Bachli Seilbremse or a Yates Belay Slave. Come on guys stop and think for a minute. I am getting this information straight out of Mark Twight's book and with his record of climbing he still worries about dropping the belay device when setting up for a rappel or belay.

acorneau you are right with a figure eight is another option. Mark Twight does mention that. Thank you for the good info.

I think the consequences of Mark Twight dropping his belay device in some of the places he has been might be slightly higher than most of us who are typically on a 2-4 pitch 5.8 on a sunny day. As suggested, learn to use a munter if you don't know. Where do you fall in that spectrum?

sungam

Jul 22, 2009, 6:28 PM
Post #21 of 31 (11514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MentalTunnel wrote:
I am looking for a belay device that can stay attached to the locking biner while while putting a rope on or off.
Sorry, what? All belay plates are able to do that. You just have to keep the loop of wire in the beaner as you pull the ropes to the side.

climbsomething

Jul 22, 2009, 7:10 PM
Post #22 of 31 (11489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Skidemon27] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Skidemon27 wrote:
Guran wrote:
yankinoz wrote:
ATC
Simple as that.

5) Lock biner.
6) Done.

wats next?

proper shoe lace tieing
I'm sure a few people on this site would benefit from that too.

tomtom

Jul 22, 2009, 7:57 PM
Post #23 of 31 (11455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
Skidemon27 wrote:
Guran wrote:
yankinoz wrote:
ATC
Simple as that.

5) Lock biner.
6) Done.

wats next?

proper shoe lace tieing
I'm sure a few people on this site would benefit from that too.

Advanced Bootlace Techniques

Tying your shoes the mountain way

The classic shoe lace knot is fine for casual footwear, but when it comes to mountain boots and approach shoes, were stresses on the laces will be much greater, and the lace will often be wet, you need something a lot more security. This is especially so if you’re climbing or scrambling in stiff boots, as it is the lace that holds the foot solidly within the boot, and a slack lace will make edging with the toes far more less certain and secure. This is even more crucial when climbing in crampons.

http://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/...bootlace_techniques/

shimanilami

Jul 22, 2009, 8:27 PM
Post #24 of 31 (11436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gri Gri.

ptlong

Jul 22, 2009, 9:08 PM
Post #25 of 31 (11414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1. Thin cord for just about any device. I did this when I first started: 2mm cord to the loop on an ATC and girth hitched to my harness (diaper harness back then). Then I realized it was unnecessary.

2. Rope friction keeps the device in place at the critical moments. The only likely place to drop is transferring from harness loop to belay loop.

3. You worry too much. I've never dropped a belay device but so what if I do? I'll use my partner's device for lead belay and a munter or a modified hip belay for belaying the second. For rappelling I'll build a carabiner brake or have my partner lower me.

(This post was edited by ptlong on Jul 22, 2009, 9:09 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook