Forums: Climbing Information: Trip Reports:
My first Washington Pass Alpine Day: Beckey Route, Liberty Bell, WA's North Cascades
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

theclimbergirl

Jul 6, 2009, 11:02 PM
Post #1 of 9 (3824 views)
Shortcut

My first Washington Pass Alpine Day: Beckey Route, Liberty Bell, WA's North Cascades
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here's the trip report with pictures...

http://www.rockclimbergirl.com/...ute-trip-report.html

I'm a new and aspiring alpine climber, but after this weekend know I have a lot of conditioning to do. The climbing was lovely, the views absolutely amazing ... but the approach and descent were definitely the crux.

Enjoy the trip report...

moose_droppings

Jul 7, 2009, 12:51 AM
Post #2 of 9 (3799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theclimbergirl] My first Washington Pass Alpine Day: Beckey Route, Liberty Bell, WA's North Cascades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice TR and nice way to spend the 4th of July weekend.
Thanks much.

boymeetsrock

Jul 22, 2009, 3:56 PM
Post #3 of 9 (3658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theclimbergirl] My first Washington Pass Alpine Day: Beckey Route, Liberty Bell, WA's North Cascades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice TR! Sounds like a great day!

donald949

Jul 22, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #4 of 9 (3635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Liked your TR. Have a guidebook for the area, but your TR deffinately gives more of a feel for the climb, all things considered.
How long was the approach.
Don

catbird_seat

Jul 23, 2009, 3:48 AM
Post #5 of 9 (3602 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] My first Washington Pass Alpine Day: Beckey Route, Liberty Bell, WA's North Cascades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As approaches go in the Cascades, the one for the Beckey Route is not too bad. In fact, it's one of the easiest. Only takes about an hour to an hour and a half.

Congratulations on your first alpine climb. I remember how excited I was when I first climbed the Beckey Route. It's considered a classic with good reason.

Doubtless the athsma attack added additional challenge you could have done without. You persevered!

If you keep doing these sort of alpine climbs you WILL get better at route finding, at moving over loose rock, and you will become more and more confident.

(This post was edited by catbird_seat on Jul 23, 2009, 3:44 PM)

theclimbergirl

Aug 12, 2009, 7:16 PM
Post #6 of 9 (3459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [catbird_seat] My first Washington Pass Alpine Day: Beckey Route, Liberty Bell, WA's North Cascades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whew. Donald949 - so sorry for the late response.

I'd say that the approach is measured differently for everybody. For me, the approach was strenuous and stressful. The switchbacks weren't bad, but the last part of the approach is a scramble over loose dirt, very steep, with the additional hazard of climbers above (only about half of which actually call "rock" when they inevitably knock stuff loose), and the additional hazard of mountain goats raining rocks and chunks of trail down on you, never calling "rock."

When you do it, and you reach that part that appears to be loose dirt, and really steep, try to stay to the right side (hikers right) of the gully along the base of concord tower. That seemed to offer the best footing. The way up wasn't bad. The way down was really scary. I slipped a few times, and did not feel terribly safe on my feet. I've since picked up a pair of Sportiva hikers which actually stop WELL in loose, steep dirt (as in, I've almost tripped a couple of times because they stop and grip when I expect them to slide), so I'm kind of stoked to get back out there and see if the choice of footwear makes a difference.

It took us an hour and a half or two hours, I think -- can't really remember. I did keep track of time at the time, but I don't recall it now.

catbird_seat

Aug 12, 2009, 7:59 PM
Post #7 of 9 (3451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No question that this sort of scrambling can be quite unnerving to those unfamiliar with it. The more you do the more comfortable you will become. The important thing to remember on loose slopes is to keep your weight over your feet as much as possible. You have to fight the urge to lean into the slope because that only causes your feet to push outward and dislodge more rocks.

darkgift06

Aug 12, 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #8 of 9 (3424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [catbird_seat] My first Washington Pass Alpine Day: Beckey Route, Liberty Bell, WA's North Cascades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

as for your mosquito problem try one of these I use it for hunting & camping & they work amazing!

Thermacell
http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/index.asp

damage

Aug 15, 2009, 5:51 AM
Post #9 of 9 (3377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like a fun trip.
Thanks for the post.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook