Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Access: still open?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Perfecto

Jul 27, 2009, 11:15 PM
Post #1 of 7 (4414 views)
Shortcut

Access: still open?  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Southern_Oregon: Callahans)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was hoping to visit in a couple weeks and the weyerhaeuser hotline wasn't too helpful. I didn't hear the callahans mentioned at all, does anyone know what forest they call it? I'm not sure what region it's in either, either south valley, which was updated in may and is open, or coos bay incl. western douglas county, which is mostly closed. Anyone been there recently?

iching

Jul 28, 2009, 5:34 AM
Post #2 of 7 (4371 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Perfecto] Access: still open? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Weyerhaeuser announced a fire closure to the Callahans last weekend.

The area report you want is for the Millicoma Tree Farm. Hunter's and Recreational Access Hot Line Number Toll Free 1-888-741-5403

If you are looking for a cool breezy place to climb you might try the Honeycombs.

(This post was edited by iching on Jul 28, 2009, 5:38 AM)

gorton

Jul 28, 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #3 of 7 (4348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iching] Access: still open? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In addition to the Weyerhaeuser number, the Callahans are under DFPA (Douglas Co. Fire Protection Agency) fire restrictions: www.dfpa.net

The Umpqua NF has updated its fire restrictions to the following:
Public use restrictions on the Umpqua National Forest prohibit building, maintaining, tending or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire outside of designated recreation sites such as campgrounds, lookouts and trailheads. Liquefied and bottle gas stoves and heaters may be used for cooking and heating. Under the restrictions, motorized travel off developed Forest roads and trails is not allowed, except for the purpose of going to and from a campsite located within 300 feet of the adjacent open developed road. www.fs.fed.us/r6/umpqua

Fire Weather Forecast:
The Southern Cascades will experience a sequence of days featuring relatively dry lightning followed by very hot and dry weather, with light to moderate east winds, that looks like it will be with us through the best part of next week. At the same time, ERC's will climb steeply and NDVI shows that our live fuels are quickly dropping from above average greenness to average or a little less. It's not unusual for a strong ridge, such as the one forecasted, to break down in a good blast of lightning. Business has been slow but expect things to pick up. - State and USDA Forecast

greg

(This post was edited by gorton on Jul 29, 2009, 12:15 AM)

Perfecto

Jul 29, 2009, 6:01 AM
Post #4 of 7 (4312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gorton] Access: still open? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info both of you. I guess I'll have to wait for cooler weather to get back there.

iching

Jul 30, 2009, 3:21 AM
Post #5 of 7 (4295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A large fire (500 acres last night to 1600 acres today)has closed off access up the North Umpqua River between Susan Creek Campground and Steamboat Creek.

Access is still open to Honeycombs from the west.
Access to McKinley Rock and the Upper Umpqua is open from the east. If you are approaching these areas from the north you may want to go by way of Oakridge and the Hills Creek Spires.

(This post was edited by iching on Jul 30, 2009, 5:12 AM)

iching

Oct 4, 2009, 2:36 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With the fall rains gates will again open at the Callahans. This means you can park on top Saturdays and Sundays. My recommendation is to go in and out the upper gate. This time of year the upper gate is always open while the lower gate is sometimes closed.

Monday through Friday park at the lower gate and hike the trail.

The area report you want is for the Millicoma Tree Farm. Hunter's and Recreational Access Hot Line Number Toll Free 1-888-741-5403 use extension 5 for the Coos Bay - Southern Douglas Co. report.

(This post was edited by iching on Oct 4, 2009, 2:52 PM)

iching

Oct 11, 2009, 3:07 AM
Post #7 of 7 (4064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gates are now open on weekends to the Callahans.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook