RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

mindlessroller21

Aug 6, 2009, 11:43 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1239 views)
Shortcut

Input on 3 budget clip side quick draw biners
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking to replace the biners on the side of my draws which I clip into. I bought the bd hotwire 8 pack to start leading on but I have since realized that I far prefer bent gate to any sort of straight gate.

I'm looking at 3 budget bent gate biners to replace it withe 2 solid gate and 1 bentwire.

The biners are

Mammut standard bent gate
http://gearx.com/...-gate-carabiner.html

Camp orbit bent gate
http://www.gearexpress.biz/...mp;Product_Code=6785

Camp orbit bentwire
http://www.gearexpress.biz/...mp;Product_Code=6967

For my sake weight is an absolute non issue. The only thing I'm considering with these is how easy it is to clip on them.

My big question is how do bent wire's compare to traditional bent gate in terms of clipping ease. Specifically a design like the camp bent wire where it is notched outward at the bottom

Let me know if you have any experience with any of these biners

edit: I'm leaning towards the mammut classics. Anyone know anything about them? I can't find anything online

Thanks

(This post was edited by mindlessroller21 on Aug 7, 2009, 1:18 AM)

acorneau

Aug 7, 2009, 1:29 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mindlessroller21] Input on 3 budget clip side quick draw biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mindlessroller21 wrote:
I'm looking to replace the biners on the side of my draws which I clip into. I bought the bd hotwire 8 pack to start leading on but I have since realized that I far prefer bent gate to any sort of straight gate.

Just take a pair of pliers to your old biners and make them bent.

(No, just kidding. Really, don't do that.)

In reply to:
For my sake weight is an absolute non issue. The only thing I'm considering with these is how easy it is to clip on them.

My big question is how do bent wire's compare to traditional bent gate in terms of clipping ease.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference. I have straight wire-gate biners on my draws (old-style BD Livewires) and I feel no need to change them.

Best bet is to get one of each and try them out in your hand. Try clipping a rope into them and you'll see if you like them or not.

Good luck with your search.

Shintao

Aug 7, 2009, 3:12 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mindlessroller21] Input on 3 budget clip side quick draw biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How much do you consider budget?

mindlessroller21

Aug 7, 2009, 5:47 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Shintao] Input on 3 budget clip side quick draw biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

???

I gave three specific biners and asked about their quality. I didn't ask for budget biner recomendations. Read the post

Shintao

Aug 7, 2009, 6:02 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1140 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Didn't quite realize you had made up your mind on just those three. Why don't you buy one of each, try them out for a weekend, then outfit the rest of your rack with the ones you like.

Just wondering what you meant by budget because there are lots of places you can pick up top of the line biners for near as much than all of those new. My apologies for thinking outside the box...

(This post was edited by Shintao on Aug 7, 2009, 6:03 AM)

Neel

Aug 7, 2009, 2:55 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mindlessroller21 wrote:
???

I gave three specific biners and asked about their quality. I didn't ask for budget biner recomendations. Read the post

I have the orbitwire draws, and i'm pretty happy with them, pretty good action for a cheap draw.

brawa

Aug 7, 2009, 3:23 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the orbit bent gates. Feel the same way as Neel does about the wires. Hope it makes your decision tougher! :)

gmggg

Aug 7, 2009, 8:47 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the Mammut biners, 5.95 and 20% off on whoever's annual sale makes them a nice price. They are a little larger than the CAMP biners which helps clipping. I like them for what they are.

Not too much to say though, in many ways a biner is a biner is a biner.

shockabuku

Aug 7, 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mindlessroller21 wrote:

I'm looking at 3 budget bent gate biners to replace it withe 2 solid gate and 1 bentwire.

The biners are

Mammut standard bent gate
http://gearx.com/...-gate-carabiner.html

Camp orbit bent gate
http://www.gearexpress.biz/...mp;Product_Code=6785

Camp orbit bentwire
http://www.gearexpress.biz/...mp;Product_Code=6967

My big question is how do bent wire's compare to traditional bent gate in terms of clipping ease. Specifically a design like the camp bent wire where it is notched outward at the bottom

Let me know if you have any experience with any of these biners

edit: I'm leaning towards the mammut classics. Anyone know anything about them? I can't find anything online

Thanks

I have experience with the Camp Orbit bent gate biners.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook