Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

blueshrimp

Sep 1, 2009, 4:35 PM
Post #26 of 40 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Women's climbing harnesses suck? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

clausti wrote:

you really are a pill, aren't you?

Why do you ask? Is it because you're a pillar of sugar and roses? Angelic

technical_master

Sep 1, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #27 of 40 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueshrimp] Women's climbing harnesses suck? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

As a non-US climber, Clausti's use of the word 'pill' interests me: given its apparently derogatory usage herein I wonder if it is short for pillock, which I believe is itself a shortened form of the Scandinavian noun pillcock, meaning penis? For example: 'Methink my pillcock will nocht ly doun' in Ane Satyre of the Thrie Estaitis (A Satire of the Three Estates), by Scottish poet David Lyndsay (1552). If true then it is interesting and ironic how an albeit archaic term for a part of the male anatomy is being used with such a negative connotation within the Ladies' room.

lena_chita

Sep 1, 2009, 6:09 PM
Post #28 of 40 (2783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [technical_master] Women's climbing harnesses suck? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

technical_master wrote:
As a non-US climber, Clausti's use of the word 'pill' interests me: given its apparently derogatory usage herein I wonder if it is short for pillock, which I believe is itself a shortened form of the Scandinavian noun pillcock, meaning penis? For example: 'Methink my pillcock will nocht ly doun' in Ane Satyre of the Thrie Estaitis (A Satire of the Three Estates), by Scottish poet David Lyndsay (1552). If true then it is interesting and ironic how an albeit archaic term for a part of the male anatomy is being used with such a negative connotation within the Ladies' room.

We need trophies for posts like these!

clausti

Sep 1, 2009, 7:54 PM
Post #29 of 40 (2774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueshrimp wrote:
clausti wrote:

Why do you ask? Is it because you're a pillar of sugar and roses? Angelic

i'm made of snakes and snails and puppy dog tails. you, on the other hand, got a TON of great advice in this thread, ranging form helpful suggestions on racking so that you don't feel so cramped, to a couple of discourses on the arrangement of gear loops for sport vs trad, to suggestions on harness that were pretty, trad friendly, or both, including links to buy them, and your response was to call the people that gave you good advice spraylords and naggers. what the fuck.

clausti

Sep 1, 2009, 7:56 PM
Post #30 of 40 (2773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Women's climbing harnesses suck? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
technical_master wrote:

We need trophies for posts like these!

as far as i know, calling someone a pill is short for "bitter pill." like a quinine pill. as in "i have to put up with you like i have to put up with my malaria medicine, but that doesn't mean i'm not going to make faces while i do it."

(This post was edited by clausti on Sep 1, 2009, 8:00 PM)

blueshrimp

Sep 1, 2009, 9:16 PM
Post #31 of 40 (2758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Women's climbing harnesses suck? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:

i'm made of snakes and snails and puppy dog tails. you, on the other hand, got a TON of great advice in this thread, ranging form helpful suggestions on racking so that you don't feel so cramped, to a couple of discourses on the arrangement of gear loops for sport vs trad, to suggestions on harness that were pretty, trad friendly, or both, including links to buy them, and your response was to call the people that gave you good advice spraylords and naggers. what the fuck.

Um. OK, fair enough.

However, a cursory look to see who provided the links to buy a trad friendly harnesses on page 1 would not be out of order.

(hint: it was me.)

I repeat again: to those who suggested the MM harness: Thank you for answering my question. You are most kind.

To everyone else to contributed to this thread without answering the question I asked: thank you also.

To those who think I'm a pill or variants thereof: I think you're highly entertaining.

I'm off to buy my DMM Renegade. Easier to get here in Europe, as Switzerland kills you with import taxes when you buy from the US (not to mention shipping costs). I'll let you know if I like it better than the 4 gear loop harness (black!) I already use for trad (without gear slings which I dislike very much and is the reason I don't use them in the first place) and find the need (for reasons not entirely evident to many readers here) to replace with a better one.

Oh, and I *will* keep my jacket untucked. Sorry if that offends anyone's fashion sense. Wink

clausti

Sep 1, 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #32 of 40 (2752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueshrimp wrote:
clausti wrote:

Um. OK, fair enough.

However, a cursory look to see who provided the links to buy a trad friendly harnesses on page 1 would not be out of order.

(hint: it was me.)

I repeat again: to those who suggested the MM harness: Thank you for answering my question. You are most kind.

To everyone else to contributed to this thread without answering the question I asked: thank you also.

To those who think I'm a pill or variants thereof: I think you're highly entertaining.

I'm off to buy my DMM Renegade. Easier to get here in Europe, as Switzerland kills you with import taxes when you buy from the US (not to mention shipping costs). I'll let you know if I like it better than the 4 gear loop harness (black!) I already use for trad (without gear slings which I dislike very much and is the reason I don't use them in the first place) and find the need (for reasons not entirely evident to many readers here) to replace with a better one.

Oh, and I *will* keep my jacket untucked. Sorry if that offends anyone's fashion sense. Wink

1. other people besides you suggested trad friendly harnesses, including the people who suggested misty harnesses, whom you thanked.

2. i was one of the people who suggested misty harnesses, because i was trying to be helpful, because they are good harnesses. it's too bad that they are harder for you to get, being in Europe, because they really do make good trad harnesses.

3. nobody suggested tucking your jacket in for *fashion* reasons. they suggested it because most people find it easier to find the correct gear and them remove said gear from harness when there isn't a jacket in the way. hence, tucking the jacket in. the fact that you are still lashing out about that is part of the reason i am just incredulous at the inappropriate defensiveness of your reply posts.

wjca

Sep 1, 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #33 of 40 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [technical_master] Women's climbing harnesses suck? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

technical_master wrote:

Perhaps the best first post ever on this site. I look forward to the second.

lhwang

Sep 2, 2009, 12:08 AM
Post #34 of 40 (2737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueshrimp wrote:
clausti wrote:

Why do you ask?

Are you really surprised that people who took the time to offer their advice and experiences found your "thanks for the entertaining replies" comment dismissive?

Or that tavs responded the way she did to "obviously you don't climb where I do" accompanied by a photo of you climbing some chossy 5.5 gully?

I'm sorry that my "tuck in your jacket" suggestion seems to have annoyed you so much. Like clausti pointed out, it helps you to see your loops and gear. It's also a bit of a safety issue... I like to be able to see that my partner's harness is doubled back and knot is correctly tied. I'm still learning, and I try to always be receptive to helpful suggestions, no matter how "irrelevant" they may seem to me.

rtwilli4

Sep 2, 2009, 2:56 AM
Post #35 of 40 (2730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure if you've found a harness yet but we have a Mad Rock Venus at the shop that the women all LOVE. These are hang dogging n00bs so if they say it's comfortable then it must be comfortable. Also has a full strength haul loop, corrosion resistant buckles, and full size gear loops!

blueshrimp

Sep 2, 2009, 7:22 AM
Post #36 of 40 (2716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Women's climbing harnesses suck? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
blueshrimp wrote:
clausti wrote:

Why do you ask?

Are you really surprised that people who took the time to offer their advice and experiences found your "thanks for the entertaining replies" comment dismissive?

Or that tavs responded the way she did to "obviously you don't climb where I do" accompanied by a photo of you climbing some chossy 5.5 gully?

I'm sorry that my "tuck in your jacket" suggestion seems to have annoyed you so much. Like clausti pointed out, it helps you to see your loops and gear. It's also a bit of a safety issue... I like to be able to see that my partner's harness is doubled back and knot is correctly tied. I'm still learning, and I try to always be receptive to helpful suggestions, no matter how "irrelevant" they may seem to me.

So what climbing harness do the" tuck in your jacket" Nazis recommend, then? LOL.

wjca

Sep 2, 2009, 2:16 PM
Post #37 of 40 (2706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueshrimp wrote:
lhwang wrote:
blueshrimp wrote:
clausti wrote:

Why do you ask?

So what climbing harness do the" tuck in your jacket" Nazis recommend, then? LOL.

When you're actually climbing, which hand do you use to lift up your jacket (like you're doing in the picture) to clip gear on your harness? The one you're holding onto the rock with or the one you're holding the piece of gear with? Climbing jackets are made long for a reason. You suck at taking criticism and helpful advise.

granite_grrl

Sep 2, 2009, 3:10 PM
Post #38 of 40 (2700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blueshrimp wrote:
lhwang wrote:
blueshrimp wrote:
clausti wrote:

Why do you ask?

You just don't get it, do you.

Thank people for their useful advise by pissing on them and just watch how useful they are the next time you ask a question.

aimeerose

Sep 5, 2009, 4:59 AM
Post #39 of 40 (2665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love the arc'terx women's harness. I lead trad and have found it sufficient along with a gear sling. It's so incredibly comfortable, you wouldn't believe it!

mheyman

Sep 18, 2009, 1:54 AM
Post #40 of 40 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know it isn’t exactly what you were asking or they way I would have answered, but I think you got very good advice! I am only bothering to write this at this late date to emphasize taking it seriously!

I don’t think womens Arcteryx harnesses have different gear loops than the mens, but they aren’t extremely large.

As for color, I’m with them. Pick gear that works.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook