RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

naitch

Aug 10, 2009, 3:41 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1586 views)
Shortcut

Yoga For Climbers - DVD
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone tried this and is it worth the money?

http://www.amazon.com/...06_12722150_pe_ar_d1

jolery

Aug 11, 2009, 5:35 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [naitch] Yoga For Climbers - DVD [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife got this for me last xmas. I like it but don't use it as much as I do Namaste Yoga. The routines are very static, slow, holding positions.
The video is basically two parts, a 20-25 minute session that uses pretty basic poses, really was only one pose in there that I didn't already use although there is excellent instruction on form and technique. The second session is more advanced and physically demanding stuff.
Quality is a little hokey, kind of homemade looking. They put in little clips while you're holding positions, of climbers - some are cool, some aren't. Narrator has a nice southern twang, if you like that sort of thing.
Everything is done outside, on or near rock of some sort, which is cool.
I'd say if you're relatively new to yoga it's a good dvd to have - if you already do yoga a lot I don't think it really will add much - I had hoped for more stretches I didn't know about that would stretch all my f-ed up climbing muscles.

ryanb

Aug 11, 2009, 6:49 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I have that too, the easy workout it is pretty good in terms of stretching but not very challenging in terms of endurance, the hard one has some hard arm and leg balances that take a while to get the hang of.

Probably worth the money if you are a climber looking to get into yoga...I picked it up around the time I was starting and did it pretty regularly for a while. It was a great way to start but since then I started taking a class from a friend of mine (also a climber/skier) so I mostly go to that or practice on my own...in terms of dollars per hour spent practicing you only have to do it a few times and its cheaper then a class but obviously won't adapt to your needs or hold your interest for as long.

I should go back and try the hard routine again, there were some poses (side crow etc) in there that would leave me sprawled on the floor back then, I might have better luck now.

sogetthis

Sep 9, 2009, 9:18 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yoga For Climbers - DVD [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

has the yoga you've been doing helped your flexibility at all.

Or is it more in the umm I'm pretty sure maybe I think it has? realm :)

just curious

granite_grrl

Sep 9, 2009, 9:33 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sogetthis] Yoga For Climbers - DVD [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sogetthis wrote:

just curious
This.

I mean, my flexibility for yoga has increased, but I don't think I really see it transfer over to climbing. But for me it doesn't have it, I find yoga a great activity on it's own. It has helped me quite a bit while recovering from major injury, but I don't think it has really helped my climbing.

ryanb

Sep 9, 2009, 9:55 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1361 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sogetthis] Yoga For Climbers - DVD [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sogetthis wrote:

just curious

I started doing yoga when I found I was entirely unable to make the 11b high step move on the upper slab on Model Worker at Index, WA after an epic tr session trying to figure it out and beta from several people who had freed the route.

After a year and a half of yoga I was able to red point the route on my first ever lead attempt with no additional work having not been on the route since my two epic tr sessions.

YMMV

jt512

Sep 10, 2009, 4:06 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] Yoga For Climbers - DVD [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ryanb wrote:
sogetthis wrote:

just curious

I started doing yoga when I found I was entirely unable to make the 11b high step move on the upper slab on Model Worker at Index, WA after an epic tr session trying to figure it out and beta from several people who had freed the route.

After a year and a half of yoga I was able to red point the route on my first ever lead attempt with no additional work having not been on the route since my two epic tr sessions.

YMMV

Wow. Only a year and half.

Jay

chrisnovak

Sep 10, 2009, 6:35 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1289 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi - I actually have this video, too. I like it - although I agree with pretty much all of the previous comments.

I'm not really into yoga, but I found it to have interesting movements, it gives me a good workout (especially if you do both parts back-to-back), and it's convenient (yoga-on-demand!).

The instruction is relatively good - I did it for a few weeks, then went to a local YMCA yoga class to learn new stuff. I was able to keep up with the class and the instructor thought I did well. Then she turned a bit snobby on me when I said that I was using a DVD...so I stopped going to the class and kept doing the DVD workout (I didn't need the yogier-than-thou attitude).

You could probably get the same workout from other classes or videos - the climbing/scenery isn't particularly inspiring for climbing or yoga...but it doesn't hurt. Overall, I think it's a good product...and it probably supports some climber(s) somewhere, so that's a bonus. If you buy it from your local gym, that's even better. :)

Regarding impact on my climbing ability, I have no idea. See for yourself - you can always stop doing it if it's not working for you.

Chris

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook